HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
8tk4l3.jpg

Dear HFHomies, fret not I got this.

-Your friend Nick 🧡
Do you think he would smoke me out ? He seems like a pretty cool dude .

Reactions: Team_Spirit

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'm more comfortable with Buium than Parekh, and both more than Connelly, but it feels like this is a draft where size+physicality is getting more hype.

I'm legitimately wondering if there's a trade framework that would have Hutson go to San Jose and Montreal get Pittsburgh's 1st, with the Habs parlaying that pick and Winnipeg's to get New Jersey's or Buffalo's pick. Not that I want to trade Hutson, but Buium and one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla or Catton may be better for Montreal in the long run (and better manage their young D pipeline).
Hutson is a no go for me. He is two years further along than Buium. Probably a top 10 in a 2022 redraft. Buium is a mystery box.

Reactions: Hansman

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Its more a question of how much does MHL production mean now compared to when, say, Kucherov was playing there. When hockey in Russia is closed off from the rest of the world, it becomes harder to try to nail down how much that actually means. It doesn't mean Demidov isn't a great prospect, its just that there isn't as much of an analytic/stats argument or a comparative argument (through WJC/ U-18s) to make, so you're relying on fitness testing and scouting (and probably mostly live viewings).

For instance, we know that scoring in the OHL and WHL doesn't translate in the same way it did, say, 10 years ago. All we can say stats-wise for Demidov is that he's torched the MHL for two years - its just not clear if that translates.

for sure as the talk has been the KHL is a bit watered down due to the situation in Russia the past few years now but he's at least showing 2 years in a row he is breaking records in the league so that clearly means something but if you can't get to see him live I'm sure it's a big issue.

Reactions: Gustave

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
How would Catton compare against guys like Seth Jarvis, Zach Benson and Logan Cooley at the same age. How would you rank them..?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Man, I absolutely hate HF from the 'after the season but before the draft' time period lol..

It's gone from
'Pffff EASY pick for Chicago @ 2, Demidov, lock.'
To
'Whoa Demidov fell and is there at 5, the Habs pick, ARE WE SURE HE'S THE GUY?? HMMM'

It's just unreal lol

If Demidov is somehow there at 5, they will take him. Let's stop this lol

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Who are all of yous candidate for a trade up in the 10-13 range ?

Yakemchuk is someone I would really, really like to add to our group. He'd be so nasty with Xhekaj or Guhle.

Catton and Sennecke as well, for reasons we know. Sennecke looks like he'll be picked very high though.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Man, I absolutely hate HF from the 'after the season but before the draft' time period lol..

It's gone from
To
'Whoa Demidov fell and is there at 5, the Habs pick, ARE WE SURE HE'S THE GUY?? HMMM'

It's just unreal lol

Sooo.. They'll pick a right handed man right? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

It's gone from
To

It's just unreal lol

Most likely.....but then again this why is some see Demidov falling.

If Habs project more than 2 of the big D prospect as future top pairing D......then I'm not 100% sure they go with Demidov. Positional value will matter in this draft so is the usual bias towards size.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Who are all of yous candidate for a trade up in the 10-13 range ?

Yakemchuk is someone I would really, really like to add to our group. He'd be so nasty with Xhekaj or Guhle.

Catton and Sennecke as well, for reasons we know. Sennecke looks like he'll be picked very high though.

Parekh and Eiserman

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Me too. 2025 has Hagens Ryabkin Frondell Martone and I'd have a hard time picking any forward not named Celebrini over these guys and even then.
Question for you. Habs have - if I read things right - have seven picks in the first three rounds of 2025.

Let’s say they pick 12th.

Would you lean toward moving/bundling that
No. 12 ( with a 2nd, and/or a young D) for an established player?

I just can’t imagine they’d hang on to all seven.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Question for you. Habs have - if I read things right - have seven picks in the first three rounds of 2025.

Package them all to move up.

Package our 25 1st with CAL/FLA 1st to move into the top 10

Package all the seconds and the 3rd to move up too, turn them into 1st.

We have a very good young core and we’re gonna add even more this year.

At some point just consolidate and go for quality over quantity.

When our core will be in their prime making big money, we need as much talent on ELC contract as we can to extend the window.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Package them all to move up.

Package our 25 1st with CAL/FLA 1st to move into the top 10

Package all the seconds and the 3rd to move up too, turn them into 1st.

We have a very good young core and we’re gonna add even more this year.

At some point just consolidate and go for quality over quantity.

When our core will be in their prime making big money, we need as much talent on ELC contract as we can to extend the windows.
Sure feels like it would be the right time to move draft picks with rebuilding-time being of the essence and owning that kind of bundle.

I’d normally be opposed, and love the fact they have that bundle, but parting with two of 7, still leaves 5 in the first three rounds.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
+1 on Parekh, but I assumed he wouldn't last that long. I would consider him with the fifth pick. The offense and IQ are really something.

I had hope that his defensive flaws would drop him into the teens but after seeing how high he seems on a lot of draft mocks that came out recently I think he won’t fall too far sadly.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

It's gone from
To

It's just unreal lol

It’s the worst lol

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91 and Rozz

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think this draft is similar to 2008 in terms of defencemen.

Doughty, Pietro, Karlsson, Josi, Carlson, and to a lesser extent, Bogosian, Schenn, Myers.

All came out of that draft. This set up has the same feel, and I think 4 or 5 of these guys could end up threatening for a Norris at some point in their career. It wasn't a very strong draft for forwards outside of Stamkos.

I just hope that if we end up with Demidov that he is not our version of Nikita Filatov.

Drafts can be such a crapshoot!
That was an AMAZING draft!

Reactions: waitin425

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

We have seven picks right now for 2025....with Savard, Dvorak, Armia, Evans, Pezzetta and Kovacevic in their last year of contract before turning UFA, we should have a whole lot more picks than seven by then.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think this draft is similar to 2008 in terms of defencemen.

Doughty, Pietro, Karlsson, Josi, Carlson, and to a lesser extent, Bogosian, Schenn, Myers.

All came out of that draft. This set up has the same feel, and I think 4 or 5 of these guys could end up threatening for a Norris at some point in their career. It wasn't a very strong draft for forwards outside of Stamkos.

I just hope that if we end up with Demidov that he is not our version of Nikita Filatov.

Drafts can be such a crapshoot!
Iirc 2OA - 5OA: Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn

Josi..2nd rounder

Drafting 18-year olds is an inexact science at the best of times, now throw in the job security or lack thereof aspect for hockey ops types, to better understand why they prefer the safer picks…

Reactions: waitin425

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Sure feels like it would be the right time to move draft picks with rebuilding-time being of the essence and owning that kind of bundle.

I’d normally be opposed, and love the fact they have that bundle, but parting with two of 7, still leaves 5 in the first three rounds.
We have seven picks right now for 2025....with Savard, Dvorak, Armia, Evans, Pezzetta and Kovacevic in their last year of contract before turning UFA, we should have a whole lot more picks than seven by then.

Ok how about this.

We have 2 1st next year and 7 picks in the first 3 rounds. We have 12 picks in total so far.

Consolidate all our picks next year and trade for #1 to draft James Hagens.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Dach - Hagens - Demidov
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Ca sent la coupe

1718157134609.gif

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Ok how about this.

We have 2 1st next year and 7 picks in the first 3 rounds. We have 12 picks in total so far.

Consolidate all our picks next year and trade for #1 to draft James Hagens.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Dach - Hagens - Demidov
Newhook - Beck - Roy

View attachment 881798
Guess I better Youtube Hagens. Must have mad skills.

Earlier looked him up and he’s 5’9.

I like Porter Martone.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Outstanding article by MA Godin IMO, and it lends itself to this draft post Celebrini - the fan / media debate looking at a prospect thru the prism of multitude high end skill set attributes vs a real hockey player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad