HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Reasoning:

Celebrini is the best.
You have to draft Lindstroms when you can, we probably don't get the chance.
Buium's resume is beyond reproach, all he does is win
Parekh is the only player I've watched that actually makes me think of Karlsson, unbelievable numbers
Iginla's muh boi!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Reasoning:

Celebrini is the best.
You have to draft Lindstroms when you can, we probably don't get the chance.
Buium's resume is beyond reproach, all he does is win
Parekh is the only player I've watched that actually makes me think of Karlsson, unbelievable numbers
Iginla's muh boi!
I'd take Dickinson over those two. Dickinson has almost zero risk. the left handedness is his only downside in terms of need.

if for some reason it is Lev....

Guhle - Lev
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Maillioux

Holy Hell that is a defence

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You gotta have 5 names if you're picking 5th. I think those names for me are Celebrini, Lindstrom, Buium, Parekh, and Iginla.

Post your 5 names people.
Celebrini -- seems to be unanimous 1OA, I haven't looked at him at all
Levshunov -- great frame, very mobile, no brainer top5 pick
Lindstrom -- someone will overrate his frame and pick him, he's got potential to be a special player (the comparison to Roope Hintz is super cool) but I don't like the downside.
Silayev -- how can you not take a 6'7" 17 year old who played in the KHL and looked good doing it? His upside is Hedman/Chara his downside is Myers, a very safe pick. His reach and mobility are just hard to suppress.
Dickinson -- just like Levshunov, he seems like a no brainer total package type

The thing is, if I'm in a head office of an NHL team I'd probably be devouring data and video of Demidov to see if his hands really are the bee's knees (Lindstrom's are fine, nothing to write home about). If Demidov's motor + hands are as good as hyped, he should go top7 despite the KHL-factor. And then for a team like the Habs that's missing a forward playmaker more than it is missing anyone or anything else... You therefore can't forget about Catton either who doubled Iginla's output and on a rather bad WHL team. Catton's all about translatable skill. After Demidov and Catton, how can you ignore Helenius who has massive upside as a all-around super player?

Parekh outscored Dickinson but it's defensive performance that has Dickinson looking better and ahead of him. Buium is below too many d-men to go top5, not worth thinking about. Translatable skill has Lev/Silyaev/Dickinson over Buium and Parekh imo.

Last year I wanted Michkov and Benson despite their size. This year I want Catton or Demidov despite their size but would take Dickinson/Silayev/Levshunov over both if he's there. I wouldn't take Lindstrom even though his upside is mouth-watering... Slaf, Anderson, etc, we've tried the unicorn powerforward thing plenty nd still haven't had a top-tier forward playmaker, I don't think this profile is a priority and it's time to try to get a top-tier forward playmaker (or super good 1D trajectory dman).

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Celebrini -- seems to be unanimous 1OA, I haven't looked at him at all
Levshunov -- great frame, very mobile, no brainer top5 pick
Lindstrom -- someone will overrate his frame and pick him, he's got potential to be a special player (the comparison to Roope Hintz is super cool) but I don't like the downside.
Silayev -- how can you not take a 6'7" 17 year old who played in the KHL and looked good doing it? His upside is Hedman/Chara his downside is Myers, a very safe pick. His reach and mobility are just hard to suppress.
Dickinson -- just like Levshunov, he seems like a no brainer total package type

The thing is, if I'm in a head office of an NHL team I'd probably be devouring data and video of Demidov to see if his hands really are the bee's knees (Lindstrom's are fine, nothing to write home about). If Demidov's motor + hands are as good as hyped, he should go top7 despite the KHL-factor. And then for a team like the Habs that's missing a forward playmaker more than it is missing anyone or anything else... You therefore can't forget about Catton either who doubled Iginla's output and on a rather bad WHL team. Catton's all about translatable skill. After Demidov and Catton, how can you ignore Helenius who has massive upside as a all-around super player?

Parekh outscored Dickinson but it's defensive performance that has Dickinson looking better and ahead of him. Buium is below too many d-men to go top5, not worth thinking about. Translatable skill has Lev/Silyaev/Dickinson over Buium and Parekh imo.

Last year I wanted Michkov and Benson despite their size. This year I want Catton or Demidov despite their size but would take Dickinson/Silayev/Levshunov over both if he's there. I wouldn't take Lindstrom even though his upside is mouth-watering... Slaf, Anderson, etc, we've tried the unicorn powerforward thing plenty nd still haven't had a top-tier forward playmaker, I don't think this profile is a priority and it's time to try to get a top-tier forward playmaker (or super good 1D trajectory dman).
Agree with almost everything Rehabs....we are on a roll these days....you and I!

However......lumping Slaf with Anderson??????

8tlto1.gif

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'd take Dickinson over those two. Dickinson has almost zero risk. the left handedness is his only downside in terms of need.

if for some reason it is Lev....

Guhle - Lev
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Maillioux

Holy Hell that is a defence

That's fair, I think most of the world has Dickinson and Lev ahead of Buium and Parekh.

But to me passing on these guys is just too much. What would the argument be if Parekh turns into Karlsson and you passed on him? How many more goals would he have had to score to realize who he is? Like, 50?

Buium's resume is similarly hard to believe. The guy has literally nothing left but the NHL, he'll play next season.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
That's fair, I think most of the world has Dickinson and Lev ahead of Buium and Parekh.

But to me passing on these guys is just too much. What would the argument be if Parekh turns into Karlsson and you passed on him? How many more goals would he have had to score to realize who he is? Like, 50?

Buium's resume is similarly hard to believe. The guy has literally nothing left but the NHL, he'll play next season.
Would be hard to argue IF Parekh hits that high for sure. I guess we must deal in probabilities though. Perhaps, your risk tolerance is higher. I think Dickinson's has a considerably higher floor and a high ceiling as well. I mean, using a what if argument that you used....what if Dickinson ended up like Pietrangelo, leading two different teams to the Stanley Cup?

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Would be hard to argue IF Parekh hits that high for sure. I guess we must deal in probabilities though. Perhaps, your risk tolerance is higher. I think Dickinson's has a considerably higher floor and a high ceiling as well. I mean, using a what if argument that you used....what if Dickinson ended up like Pietrangelo, leading two different teams to the Stanley Cup?

I'd take Karlsson over Pietrangelo in a redraft, cups or not. He's just a better player. For me it's about the ceiling.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
All Canadians should be as fluently bilingual as this kid but our school system sucks so most Canadians can't even speak their mother tongue properly. I can remember seeing an interview with an Iraqi immigrant. When asked about the flaws of Canadian schools he brought that up. Said Iraqi schools were behind Canadian schools in so many areas except in the teaching of languages. With the two official languages and all the immigrants in this country, Canucks should be like Europeans and speak several languages or at least two. But no, we decided to go the American route.

Okay, my rant is over. I promise to go back to my stupid remarks.

I'd take Karlsson over Pietrangelo in a redraft, cups or not. He's just a better player. For me it's about the ceiling.
Yeah and that ceiling is leaky.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
You gotta have 5 names if you're picking 5th. I think those names for me are Celebrini, Lindstrom, Buium, Parekh, and Iginla.

Post your 5 names people.

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Demidov
Dickinson (Buium)
Levshunov (Parekh)

In brackets are the players that the habs seem to be in on replacing my personal choices.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
All Canadians should be as fluently bilingual as this kid but our school system sucks so most Canadians can't even speak their mother tongue properly. I can remember seeing an interview with an Iraqi immigrant. When asked about the flaws of Canadian schools he brought that up. Said Iraqi schools were behind Canadian schools in so many areas except in the teaching of languages. With the two official languages and all the immigrants in this country, Canucks should be like Europeans and speak several languages or at least two. But no, we decided to go the American route.
Yeah it's beyond me why language education is so bad in Canada but until QC picks up its own general and overall education outcomes we cannot complain.

Bilingualism should be the minimum not a loftly ambition.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah it's beyond me why language education is so bad in Canada but until QC picks up its own general and overall education outcomes we cannot complain.

Bilingualism should be the minimum not a loftly ambition.

Bilingualism is a function of necessity, not education. I'm trilingual for shits and giggles essentially, seen 0 payoff for it. I like languages though, so I'm working on a 4th. People will learn a language under exactly two circumstances: they have to, or they want to. Almost always just the first one though.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'd do the same (esp looking at ceiling) but you have to be careful with d-men from Jrs. How they interpret defense will matter a LOT more than their point totals. Dickinson is a better defender and highly productive = it is likelier he does better in the NHL. So imo Parekh's ceiling is below Dickinson's.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Okay, go draft a perfect player then, his name is Macklin.
Do you remember the old HF rankings system? I feel like it would be the best way to rank all of these guys.

Celebrini - 9.5B
Demidov - 9.0C
Dickinson - 8.5A
Levshunov - 8.5B
Parekh - 9.0D
Buium - 8.5C
Lindstrom - 9.0C
Iginla - 8.0B

Etc, Etc. I didn't think too much on it....but it is an interesting way for people to rationalize their rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad