HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
They're different because no one has said we aren't interested, most people connected still see us selecting Demidov just not that it's the slam dunk they originally thought.

I don't like the direction we are going though. It could become just like Michkov.

I think Demidov is closer to 6' than 5'10 but hey anyone can convince themselves out of a great offensive player if they want. They did it once for the best defenseman who had Size poise and a preferred handedness last year. I can't get behind it this year for the 3rd best defenseman especially when one is just the wish version of Hutson offensively and isn't particularly studly on the defensive side.
Would it be more palatable if we drafted for Parekh instead?

I'd be pretty pissed if we skip on a potential superstar winger again when we need offensive power in our top 6, but getting the potential best offensive defensemen of the class is not a bad consolation prize?

I just don't know who we play on PP1. Do we just put both Hutson and Parekh? When was the last time a team had 2 really good offensive defensemen in their lineup? Preds with Josi and Subban?

I'm trying to play gymnastics in my head and convince myself it's "fine" if Demidov is skipped on, but man I just hope Hughes doesn't overthink it this year.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
With all the draft capital in the coming years they will package those picks for sure but it won't just be for higher picks, it will be for young players closer to making it to the NHL. Utah is ripe for the picking.

Reactions: Redux91

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Man, I absolutely hate HF from the 'after the season but before the draft' time period lol..

It's gone from
'Pffff EASY pick for Chicago @ 2, Demidov, lock.'
To
'Whoa Demidov fell and is there at 5, the Habs pick, ARE WE SURE HE'S THE GUY?? HMMM'

It's just unreal lol

If Demidov is somehow there at 5, they will take him. Let's stop this lol
I mostly agree, but if Lindstrom and Demidov are both available, there's a chance Demidov isn't picked.

Reactions: Redux91 and Rozz

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Helenius getting overlooked. Prepare yourselves muchachos.

I wouldn't mind it in an alternate universe, but only if we had live footage of @KevSkillz4 smashing everything in his house as @Goldenhands celebrates.

I can't believe this is still 2.5 weeks away. The wait is brutal. And it won't be until draft week for the final McKenzie rankings and Pronman's final mock which he has nailed recently.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Basu suggests that the Habs' invitation to dinner with Eiserman could be a sign that they will try to trade up to a position where he will be available. »

Reach I think Basu

I don't think they would move down later in the top 10 to grab an asset and take one of the best wingers available, either Tij Iginla or Beckett Sennecke, because they view the number five pick as an opportunity to Adding an important piece into their rebuild, and trading down would decrease the likelihood of that player being an important piece. » - Arpon Basu
I’m all for it.

Difficult to see it happening but adding say… Lidstrom and Eiserman would be incredible.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Seems to just be the Russian factor again, SKA can basically f*** his development next year by forcing him into the MHL if he doesn't extend. Then there's the skating not being the best and of course the small winger piece.

I just don't buy it this time, Michkov it made more sense because he already was there long term, and there were legit smoke about him as a teammate and coachability. Nothing like that here.
Arpon said both the Sharks and Habs had hockey reasons to pass over Michkov. Arizona because he had no interest in meeting them.

He’s not as infallible as a lot of posters make him out to be.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Question for you. Habs have - if I read things right - have seven picks in the first three rounds of 2025.

Let’s say they pick 12th.

Would you lean toward moving/bundling that
No. 12 ( with a 2nd, and/or a young D) for an established player?

I just can’t imagine they’d hang on to all seven.
Maybe they plan on sending a 6.9-9.1m offersheet this summer. That’s a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Lots of really good RFAs available.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I can't believe this is still 2.5 weeks away. The wait is brutal. And it won't be until draft week for the final McKenzie rankings and Pronman's final mock which he has nailed recently.

In Pronman's mock from 1 week ago (pre-combine), he had Demidov going to the habs

1. Sharks: Celebrini
2. Hawks: Levshunov
3. Ducks: Silayev
4. Jackets: Lindstrom
5. Habs: Demidov

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm starting to think that both Lindstrom and Demidov will be gone by the 5th pick.

It will be the second draft in a row the Habs will miss out on the better tier of forwards because they refused to tank properly.
Wdm Benson and Michkov were both there and better than #4, #5 forwards picked

Starting to feel very lonely in here for me, but I still hope that Iginla is our pick.
Nope. I'm there too. I'm there with Catton too. Lindstrom is in there too.

It's Demidov and the rest.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
If you want Demidov you have to be comfortable with:

A) He plays a third year in the MHL and stunts his development for a 2nd straight year.

Or

B) Signs a contract extension with SKA so he can play KHL and possibly not come over for 3-4 years.

All this while possibly passing up first a pairing defenseman like Buium, or other forwards in Sennecke or Iginla where you have almost full control of their development and get to interact with them whenever you want.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Question for you. Habs have - if I read things right - have seven picks in the first three rounds of 2025.

Let’s say they pick 12th.

Would you lean toward moving/bundling that
No. 12 ( with a 2nd, and/or a young D) for an established player?

I just can’t imagine they’d hang on to all seven.

It really depends on who is out there. For Zegras next year? No. I think it's always a good idea to have a full pool now and be able to have ELC contributors as more of the core takes up the cap.

Would it be more palatable if we drafted for Parekh instead?

I'd be pretty pissed if we skip on a potential superstar winger again when we need offensive power in our top 6, but getting the potential best offensive defensemen of the class is not a bad consolation prize?

I just don't know who we play on PP1. Do we just put both Hutson and Parekh? When was the last time a team had 2 really good offensive defensemen in their lineup? Preds with Josi and Subban?

I'm trying to play gymnastics in my head and convince myself it's "fine" if Demidov is skipped on, but man I just hope Hughes doesn't overthink it this year.

Parekh more palatable than Buium for sure, there's way more space for options on the right and Parekh is truly special offensively. I can't make sense of how they'd structure the PP and it gets redundant there too but at least it's the less crowded side and a guy with an actual elite quality to him.

Helenius getting overlooked. Prepare yourselves muchachos.

Thank god we aren't taking him.

The complete lack of noise about Iginla tempered my expectations significantly.

I think both Iginla and Sennecke remain in the conversation if Lindstrom and Demidov are gone.

Arpon said both the Sharks and Habs had hockey reasons to pass over Michkov. Arizona because he had no interest in meeting them.

He’s not as infallible as a lot of posters make him out to be.

He's the closest to the team we got. He of course can be wrong but I certainly don't love the change in tune after coming back from the combine. That info and change comes from somewhere somehow. Maybe it's just from the doubt of other teams.

If you want Demidov you have to be comfortable with:

A) He plays a third year in the MHL and stunts his development for a 2nd straight year.

Or

B) Signs a contract extension with SKA so he can play KHL and possibly not come over for 3-4 years.

All this while possibly passing up first a pairing defenseman like Buium, or other forwards in Sennecke or Iginla where you have almost full control of their development and get to interact with them whenever you want.

I'm comfortable. We passed up this chance before we shouldn't do it again. If I have to wait for a Kaprizov level impact I got no issues with that. Last thing I want to do is sell low on a Cutter Gauthier because every team sees me coming a mile away that I can't play all my young defenseman.

If Demidov is gone i would not be mad if we select Iggy over Lindstrom

I would be mad but it's not a consideration. Lindstrom looks to be their option A.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The Hockey Guy did his mock and
The top 5 was
Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Silayev

I can't imagine the reaction on here if this happened. I love THG but not sure if mocks are something he's good at. I know he follows prospects well.

Everything for me is zeroing in on the Chicago pick. I think Anaheim is going D regardless. Chicago holds our fate. If they take Demidov, Lindstrom will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad