HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
3rd and 4th line.. i agree..you need size...but in the first 2 lines you need talent even if you have 2 undersized players...Catton is more talented than Lindstrom..way more...you take him..

I disagree.

Catton has a lot more pure skills but that does not make him more talented in his overall profile.

Size and strenght gives incredible edge in some areas of the game so even if Lindstrom has less pure skills than Catton and Demidov, there is a world where is a more effective, talented player than the other two.

He may be better in puck protection, scoring, puck carrying at the next level because of his size and strenght.

For example, i would take Jason Robertson and Matthew Tkachuk way before Marner and Nylander.

The latter two tho have a lot more pure skills.

Hutson has played what, 2 NHL games so far? And that's actually what you're using to prove how great this management is doing?

Yes he has only played 2 NHL games.

He has not done anything worthy before like totally breaking the record of current norris winning dman

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
2 NHL games at any point for a 62nd pick is above average. Relax man.

I'm the one who keeps some reserves before suggesting this management is filled with player development masterminds and that Bobrov/Lapointe picks have warranted us blindling trusting them.

And supposedly I'm the one who needs to relax? lol. Take your own advice buddy.

I'm not the one playing the "well if they pick a player they should get our full trust" card.

If you feel comfortable being in awe in front of Lapointe and Bobrov after all of two NHL games from a pick, that should tell you more about your need to relax than mine.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Talent and size is the ideal. That’s why we’re all so hopeful about Slaf. A shame Lindstrom’s back got all mangled. I wanted to see what he could do. On the flipside, I guess if he had a great year he wouldn’t be available to us.

Talent and size are not dissociated.

Its foolish to ignore how big of an edge it gives when a player is stronger and bigger than his opponent.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm up to like 20 games of Sennecke now. I try so hard but I can't get over the posture, the fact he can't stop gliding, the way he looks like Benoit Pouliot effort level wise at times, the way pucks just float away from him despite his seemingly very good stick-handling and the way he seems to be mostly in the wrong spot often. It's tough because you see the talent, he's skilled, he's raw, he does have shifts where he works super hard, he has shifts where he pushes the play and flashes shot, hands, skating and passing but when you compare him with Lindstrom and Iginla I'm not sure I can see it and of course with Catton and Demidov it's just not the pick, we'd be reaching hard on size.

I'm also unsure what the use of picking a guy thats 6'3 if he stays 60 feet from the play 75% of the time. He's a project, but I think we probably should be past these projects at this point. The Habs need that elusive #3 forward to compiment Slaf and Suzuki and slide down CC to 4-5. I think all three of Iggy, Catton and Demidov are pretty much locks to be just that, why risk it, really ?

He's an awkward player. From the way he skates to the way he even performs his highlight-reel dekes. There's just something off about his posture and the way he plays the game.

Reactions: Mrb1p

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Talent and size are not dissociated.

Its foolish to ignore how big of an edge it gives when a player is stronger and bigger than his opponent.
The most important skill is IQ.

The best in history
..Gretzky had only that way above everybody...and he was skinny ant not strong at all.

Look at Kucherov as well.

Catton is way smarter than Lindstrom..not even close

Catton is better than Lindstrom

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

The best in history
..Gretzky had only that way above everybody...and he was skinny ant not strong at all.

I agree that the most important skill is IQ.

I dont know where this perceived notion that big strong player have low IQ come from tho but we have seen it with Slafkovsky and we are seeing it now with Lindstrom.

Catton is a smart player but i have not seen IQ problem from Lindstrom, far from it.

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
I know we have an absolute surplus at that position but...Tarin Smith would be a hell of a gamble with our 2nd.
I'm glad someone else noticed him. I'm way much higher on him than the consensus since I have him as a 1st rounder. I understand it's risky to have him this high but he's one hell of a homerun pick if he ever reaches his potential.

It's all about projection since he is very raw, but I find the tools are exciting and he's a treat to watch.

Reactions: bopeep

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I never said that big players had low IQ..I said that Catton had way better IQ than Lindstrom..and its not close.

Catton's Iq is off chart..and you will see..if this dude is drafted 10th overall...few teams will regret it badly soon enough....

Reactions: Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

The best in history

This is oversimplifying things a lot.

Assuming you’re right and he’s got a better IQ… how much better? Is it enough to offset the physical game and presence Lindstrom brings?

Reactions: jaffy27

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
What explains Lindstrom's more goals than assists? It's unheard of for a very good player in the NHL to have more Gs than As.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm up to like 20 games of Sennecke now. I try so hard but I can't get over the posture, the fact he can't stop gliding, the way he looks like Benoit Pouliot effort level wise at times, the way pucks just float away from him despite his seemingly very good stick-handling and the way he seems to be mostly in the wrong spot often. It's tough because you see the talent, he's skilled, he's raw, he does have shifts where he works super hard, he has shifts where he pushes the play and flashes shot, hands, skating and passing but when you compare him with Lindstrom and Iginla I'm not sure I can see it and of course with Catton and Demidov it's just not the pick, we'd be reaching hard on size.

I'm also unsure what the use of picking a guy thats 6'3 if he stays 60 feet from the play 75% of the time. He's a project, but I think we probably should be past these projects at this point. The Habs need that elusive #3 forward to compiment Slaf and Suzuki and slide down CC to 4-5. I think all three of Iggy, Catton and Demidov are pretty much locks to be just that, why risk it, really ?
He's definitely super raw. Almost a blank slate too, you can tell he hasn't been coached a whole lot in his young career, he tends to improvise a ton. A true project as far as development goes, a lot like Slaf was.

Reactions: Mrb1p

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What explains Lindstrom's more goals than assists? It's unheard of for a very good player in the NHL to have more Gs than As.
Ovechkin had 36 goals and 33 assists with Dynamo pre NHL…he turned out ok

Pre NHL, Cole Caufield ALWAYS had more goals then assists.

Lindstrom woul be the perfect winger for Dach!

Reactions: McGees and Runner77

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

I dont know who could give a precise answer to your question but i would not make too much out of it.

IQ is not a problem with Lindstrom.

The poison pill (or luck) is the back injury.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He would be an excellent pick at 5, if Levshunov, Iginla, Lindstrom, Demidov, Dickinson, Parekh were not in this draft

I would pick all 3 of Lindstrom, Iginla and Demidov ahead of Sennecke but an honest intellectual debate have Sennecke in the same sphere of prospect as these guys.

Iginla is an easy, safe pick with intangibles. But Sennecke has clearly more upside, even tho the path to reach it appear less clear.

Lindstrom its the injuries. Demidov smallish winger, the MHL. Etc.

All have things going for them and things against them.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Part of it is shooting 23%, higher than anyone else in the league with at least 20 goals.

He's a good player but he's a big gamble on tools and a small sample size.

• Wow
Reactions: ReHabs

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I would pick all 3 of Lindstrom, Iginla and Demidov ahead of Sennecke but an honest intellectual debate have Sennecke in the same sphere of prospect as these guys.

Iginla is an easy, safe pick with intangibles. But Sennecke has clearly more upside, even tho the path to reach it appear less clear.

Lindstrom its the injuries. Demidov smallish winger, the MHL. Etc.

All have things going for them and things against them.
Exactly. They all have so pros and cons, neither of them are a 100% sure shot

Reactions: Runner77 and Jaynki

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Alex Ovechkin’s a pretty good player. So’s Caufield. Some players like to shoot.
Anderson also has more Gs and As. We'd need more data, I wasn't even considering the sh% anomoly @SannywithoutCompy brought up but I don't want to get fixated against a prospect pre-draft any more. So won't be looking into it any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad