HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
More than enough --> 4 top 6 players.
Lol. I will say though, I'm a massive WaWa fan and do believe he will be a 60 point player. We are probably drafting another top 6 forward with our 5th OA, and trading/signing one isn't completely impossible. We should be fine in having "top 6 players" but we need the elite talent as opposed to a bunch of 2nd liners. Suzuki/Slaf might be in the ball park as a Robertson/Hintz as we get better, but that's still not enough.

Reactions: ReHabs

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Why don't we just trade the 5th to Calgary for 9th and 28th. We grab Sennecke with 9th. Calgary gets Iginla.

Then we trade our 26th and 28th for a ~15-18th overall pick and we pick MBN.

Everyone's happy.

I can dream.:cool:

Reactions: Shutdown

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hedman will go down as one of, if not the best defenseman of his generation.
Yes. And the Lightning were a very strong cup winner. Deep everywhere, size and skill. Maybe we'll never be as good as they were, but we don't have to be in order to win a cup.

I used to argue in favour of teams like Pittsburgh, LA and Chicago. People would make fun of those teams but I'd say... wait and see. All of them went on to win multiple cups.

Have some patience.
Kucherov and Point are hart trophy candidates. Kucherov just had 144 points this year, but I guess he isn't generational?
Kucherov is a HOFer. Not generational. And you're comparing guys who've already had their prime or are in it to kids.

I'm not sure how you guys don't understand that it takes time to build a winner. Even if you have all the ingredients you have to give them time to mature. Look at Slaf from one year to the next... Nobody knew Kucherov was going to be a superstar. If they did, he wouldn't have been drafted 58th overall. Maybe Lane Hutson becomes a superstar, entirely possible. People had written off Slaf after his rookie year... remember that?

All we can do is draft high and trade for good young prospects. Some things will work out (Slaf last year) and some things will go wrong (Dach and CC injuries.) You keep going and re-evaluating as you go.

Some guys will pan out and some won't. But I think we're on a really good path. A ton of young talent and excess prospects to trade with. We've got a whack more picks in the next couple of drafts and I think we'll probably miss the playoffs again next year which means we'll have a decent enough pick then too.

Slaf, CC, Hutson, Roy, Guhle, RB, Beck, Mailloux... they should all be better three to five years from now. Great young players. Dach is a bit of a question mark but he can be replaced if we have to. We've got guys like Engstrom, Mesar, Struble, Harris and others to trade with as well... Suzuki's a good captain and we've got a good culture. This is by far the best young group we've had in at least 30 years - probably the best young group since the up and coming mid 80s teams.

As I've said many times here, I'd like to see us with more goalscoring ability. CC's shoulder is a concern. I'm hopeful he bounces back but we'll see. I continue to maintain the unpopular belief that Eiserman has the highest ceiling in this draft outside Cellebrini and would crush it for us. He needs development but won the scoring record with a bad overall game. :laugh: Incredible. Anway, he's not going to be taken by us... so I really am good with any of Demidov, Lidstrom or Iginla. Demidov would be the most fun to watch. He oozes skill. Lidstrom provides a dimension that we've lacked since the 80s - a big team that's hard to play against. Him, Dach and Slaf would be amazing in the top six. And Iginla has some sniping ability that is a consolation to me for not getting Eiserman.

As I've said repeatedly, I'll be fine with whoever we take. After the 2022 draft, the scouting group has earned the benefit of the doubt. Still hoping we trade up and grab Eiserman later but that's a pipe dream.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm up to like 20 games of Sennecke now. I try so hard but I can't get over the posture, the fact he can't stop gliding, the way he looks like Benoit Pouliot effort level wise at times, the way pucks just float away from him despite his seemingly very good stick-handling and the way he seems to be mostly in the wrong spot often. It's tough because you see the talent, he's skilled, he's raw, he does have shifts where he works super hard, he has shifts where he pushes the play and flashes shot, hands, skating and passing but when you compare him with Lindstrom and Iginla I'm not sure I can see it and of course with Catton and Demidov it's just not the pick, we'd be reaching hard on size.

I'm also unsure what the use of picking a guy thats 6'3 if he stays 60 feet from the play 75% of the time. He's a project, but I think we probably should be past these projects at this point. The Habs need that elusive #3 forward to compiment Slaf and Suzuki and slide down CC to 4-5. I think all three of Iggy, Catton and Demidov are pretty much locks to be just that, why risk it, really ?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
According to what we were able to learn while strolling in the lobby of the chic hotel where the elite of the NHL are gathered this week, it is that the Demidov clan ensures that the young Russian's plan is to make the jump in North America at the end of his contract in Russia, i.e. at the end of the next season. » - Kevin Dubé, TVA Sports

“It seems that SKA wanted to ensure that Demidov would have a long-term agreement with the team, which the Russian player's clan refused in order to keep their doors open and ensure they could make the jump to north America. North, if he wanted, without having to wait three years like Michkov. » - Kevin Dubé, TVA Sports

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I'm up to like 20 games of Sennecke now. I try so hard but I can't get over the posture, the fact he can't stop gliding, the way he looks like Benoit Pouliot effort level wise at times, the way pucks just float away from him despite his seemingly very good stick-handling and the way he seems to be mostly in the wrong spot often. It's tough because you see the talent, he's skilled, he's raw, he does have shifts where he works super hard, he has shifts where he pushes the play and flashes shot, hands, skating and passing but when you compare him with Lindstrom and Iginla I'm not sure I can see it and of course with Catton and Demidov it's just not the pick, we'd be reaching hard on size.

I'm also unsure what the use of picking a guy thats 6'3 if he stays 60 feet from the play 75% of the time. He's a project, but I think we probably should be past these projects at this point. The Habs need that elusive #3 forward to compiment Slaf and Suzuki and slide down CC to 4-5. I think all three of Iggy, Catton and Demidov are pretty much locks to be just that, why risk it, really ?
I agree which is why I've got him last in that tier of forwards. I wouldn't be upset if we picked him, I just think it would be a huge gamble on our development team.

Reactions: Mrb1p

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Tampa won two cups and made four finals with Point and Kucherov... but the Habs must never draft a super skilled, super productive player under 5'11"... because uhh Alex Newhook or something
Sure, if Catton was a 140 point player. But he isn’t.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
According to what we were able to learn while strolling in the lobby of the chic hotel where the elite of the NHL are gathered this week, it is that the Demidov clan ensures that the young Russian's plan is to make the jump in North America at the end of his contract in Russia, i.e. at the end of the next season. » - Kevin Dubé, TVA Sports

“It seems that SKA wanted to ensure that Demidov would have a long-term agreement with the team, which the Russian player's clan refused in order to keep their doors open and ensure they could make the jump to north America. North, if he wanted, without having to wait three years like Michkov. » - Kevin Dubé, TVA Sports
If Demi is available, we gotta make sure we have his intentions locked up before we snag him. I'm hoping Bobrov will have that ready for us.

Last I heard Michkov is coming over this upcoming season if Philly pays the transfer fee. Has something changed?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
None of the prospects not yet drafted have scored a single point in the NHL. Maybe I don't understand, what is your point?
“The Lightning won with small players”

Yeah because one is a 50 goal 90 point small player and the other is a 140 point small player. It’s not really the example you want to use. Clearly it’s an outlier.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Yes. And the Lightning were a very strong cup winner. Deep everywhere, size and skill. Maybe we'll never be as good as they were, but we don't have to be in order to win a cup.

I used to argue in favour of teams like Pittsburgh, LA and Chicago. People would make fun of those teams but I'd say... wait and see. All of them went on to win multiple cups.

Have some patience.

Kucherov is a HOFer. Not generational. And you're comparing guys who've already had their prime or are in it to kids.

I'm not sure how you guys don't understand that it takes time to build a winner. Even if you have all the ingredients you have to give them time to mature. Look at Slaf from one year to the next... Nobody knew Kucherov was going to be a superstar. If they did, he wouldn't have been drafted 58th overall. Maybe Lane Hutson becomes a superstar, entirely possible. People had written off Slaf after his rookie year... remember that?

All we can do is draft high and trade for good young prospects. Some things will work out (Slaf last year) and some things will go wrong (Dach and CC injuries.) You keep going and re-evaluating as you go.

Some guys will pan out and some won't. But I think we're on a really good path. A ton of young talent and excess prospects to trade with. We've got a whack more picks in the next couple of drafts and I think we'll probably miss the playoffs again next year which means we'll have a decent enough pick then too.

Slaf, CC, Hutson, Roy, Guhle, RB, Beck, Mailloux... they should all be better three to five years from now. Great young players. Dach is a bit of a question mark but he can be replaced if we have to. We've got guys like Engstrom, Mesar, Struble, Harris and others to trade with as well... Suzuki's a good captain and we've got a good culture. This is by far the best young group we've had in at least 30 years - probably the best young group since the up and coming mid 80s teams.

As I've said many times here, I'd like to see us with more goalscoring ability. CC's shoulder is a concern. I'm hopeful he bounces back but we'll see. I continue to maintain the unpopular belief that Eiserman has the highest ceiling in this draft outside Cellebrini and would crush it for us. He needs development but won the scoring record with a bad overall game. :laugh: Incredible. Anway, he's not going to be taken by us... so I really am good with any of Demidov, Lidstrom or Iginla. Demidov would be the most fun to watch. He oozes skill. Lidstrom provides a dimension that we've lacked since the 80s - a big team that's hard to play against. Him, Dach and Slaf would be amazing in the top six. And Iginla has some sniping ability that is a consolation to me for not getting Eiserman.

As I've said repeatedly, I'll be fine with whoever we take. After the 2022 draft, the scouting group has earned the benefit of the doubt. Still hoping we trade up and grab Eiserman later but that's a pipe dream.
I don't know where I said it doesn't take patience to build a winner. I'm simply debating you on the fact that Tampa didn't have generational talent. They did.

Kucherov is 2nd in points over the past 10 years. He IS generational. You don't understand the definition of it.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Demi is available, we gotta make sure we have his intentions locked up before we snag him. I'm hoping Bobrov will have that ready for us.

Last I heard Michkov is coming over this upcoming season if Philly pays the transfer fee. Has something changed?

You can't pay a transfer fee, Philly would be f***ed by the NHL if they did it.

Michkov would have to buy the contract out himself or his team would have to allow him out of his contract. Do with it what you will but it's odd a Russian team would allow a player to go to NA with 2 years left on his contract, especially if they considered that player a top player in their league

Reactions: Deebs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Yeah because one is a 50 goal 90 point small player and the other is a 140 point small player. It’s not really the example you want to use. Clearly it’s an outlier.
The comment has consistently been to acquire talent -- to me that means drafting the most talented player no matter his size or position. I said the Lightning won with talented players. You wanna argue against that??

Not looking forward to long ReHabs dissertations on how much he hates Lindstrom after we draft him. It's going to be Slaf 2.0.
You needn't concern yourself with that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

And TBay won nothing for years w those small players until Brisebois came in and added size & grit to the lineup - Paul, Goodrow, Hagel, Schenn, Maroon etc

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
And TBay won nothing for years w those small players until Brisebois came in and added size & grit to the lineup - Paul, Goodrow, Hagel, Schenn, Maroon etc
To connect your comment to the argument, would you therefore say the Habs should now, today, are at a point to prioritize size&grit over talent at the draft table?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To connect your comment to the argument, would you therefore say the Habs should now, today, are at a point to prioritize size&grit over talent at the draft table?
Or, you could, you know, just draft a big talented player like we did in 2022. There’s a couple of them here.

I know you think a player being both is impossible, but they do exist.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know where I said it doesn't take patience to build a winner. I'm simply debating you on the fact that Tampa didn't have generational talent. They did.
Generational is a term that gets abused. He's not generational. He's a HOF talent and an outstanding player. He's not Crosby, McDavid or Ovechkin.
Kucherov is 2nd in points over the past 10 years. He IS generational. You don't understand the definition of it.
Cool. If you want to debate this further, put it in the Out of Town thread and I'll be happy to reply there. Let's not hijack the thread.

To me, it makes sense to look at how cup winners are constructed when building a team. The debate between say Demidov and Lidstrom is an interesting one as they are very different players. It makes sense to bring in teams like Chicago vs LA or Tampa etc... and argue to build one way or another. I don't want to get stuck into a 'is Kucherov generational' debate because it's outside the scope of the discussion here. Suffice it to say, he's an amazing player and I'm not going to sit here and say that we have someone that good now or that somebody that good is avaiable in this draft. We have no way of knowing as it's far too early. Again, remember that this guy was drafted 58th overall. That should tell you all you need to know about how talent can take time to develop.

Lidstrom would be great and take us one direction, Demidov a completely different route. BOTH I think would greatly help the future of this team. I'd be fine with either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you like Iginla?

giphy.gif

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I dunno about Kucherov being generational, but he's definitely one of the most dangerous wingers to ever play the game, that is clear.
Paul and Hagel never won with Tampa. Goodrow won one. Schenn and Maroon were bottom of the lineup types, with Schenn in particular not even dressing in 50% of their games.

I get the idea that you need size in the lineup, but in the context of drafting a fifth overall pick, we probably shouldn't invoke the names of Luke Schenn and Patrick Maroon.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Or, you could, you know, just draft a big talented player like we did in 2022. There’s a couple of them here.

I know you think a player being both is impossible, but they do exist.
If Player A is considered to be a 4.5 star talent with a 4 star physical profile and Player B is considered to be a 4 star talent with a 4.5 star physical build, do you think in 2024 the Habs ought to prefer Player B?

Lidstrom would be great and take us one direction, Demidov a completely different route. BOTH I think would greatly help the future of this team. I'd be fine with either.
As placeholders for the type of player they represent, I think the debate does boil down to this and both are exciting for sure. It's just as likely that one approach will be more fun + successful than the other. Who knows. But it's ultimately a matter a taste. Maybe they'll draft a D, who knows. I wouldn't be against it.

My feeling is the Demidov (let's call his prospect profile "talent over size") route is the priority because I don't feel we have enough talent up front so I'd rather aim for forward with the highest possible ceiling.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
While I do agree that you can feel uneasy about late risers after KK, KK's skating is complete dog shit 6 years after he's been drafted while Sennecke's a plus skater. It's going to depend on work ethic. Will he be entitled and lazy like KK or will he put in the work to polish his game? If all the forwards outside of Celebrini/Demidov/Lindstrom hit their potential, Sennecke would probably be their best player. Of course, it's easier said than done and we do have a history of big braining a pick.

Once upon a time, KK was a good kid who wanted to learn, unlike the lazy Galchenyuk... Everything is fine and dandy until it's not anymore.

Reactions: montreal and ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad