HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
And TBay won nothing for years w those small players until Brisebois came in and added size & grit to the lineup - Paul, Goodrow, Hagel, Schenn, Maroon etc
This hammers home the point that they can always add size to the bottom 6 to complement the talent in the top 6 (if the latter is undersized).

At 5OA, we’re not talking about players like Paul, Goodrow, Hagel, Schenn, Maroon.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah that's why we need more guys like Anderson, not that bum in your profile picture
Gives you big advantage in playoffs. Skill and size combined you need. Anderson was good year we went to finals but has took many injuries. Career could be done. Leafs say he was giving their defensemen fits in their own end. He was affective year Colombus upset Tampa.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
This hammers home the point that they can always add size to the bottom 6 to complement the talent in the top 6 (if the latter is undersized).

At 5OA, we’re not talking about players like Paul, Goodrow, Hagel, Schenn, Maroon.
It's funny to see the cart be put before the horse so badly by some commentators. Tampa was very much a team that built a winner in a modern way: tanking, losing, re-tooling, trading, and tinkering.

It's likely 2024 is the last 5OA pick of this generation. The question is simply: Do we have sufficient super-talent players in the organization? Maybe we do...

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'm up to like 20 games of Sennecke now. I try so hard but I can't get over the posture, the fact he can't stop gliding, the way he looks like Benoit Pouliot effort level wise at times, the way pucks just float away from him despite his seemingly very good stick-handling and the way he seems to be mostly in the wrong spot often. It's tough because you see the talent, he's skilled, he's raw, he does have shifts where he works super hard, he has shifts where he pushes the play and flashes shot, hands, skating and passing but when you compare him with Lindstrom and Iginla I'm not sure I can see it and of course with Catton and Demidov it's just not the pick, we'd be reaching hard on size.

Benoit Pouliot o lord, these 3~4 inches really blind people

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's funny to see the cart be put before the horse so badly by some commentators. Tampa was very much a team that built a winner in a modern way: tanking, losing, re-tooling, trading, and tinkering.

It's likely 2024 is the last 5OA pick of this generation. The question is simply: Do we have sufficient super-talent players in the organization? Maybe we do...

Not probable that we have a top 10 star but if we have a complete roster with a top 5D in the league, we can do some damage. All we need is Suzuki, Dach, Slaf, Caufield, and our next pick to be top 20 or top 30 players in the league and we will be fine.

Lots of work to do yet but this rebuild is very sound. It has both quality and quantity and we have a shit load more draft power to come to keep working on adding quality.

Reactions: ReHabs

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Without breaking up the top line, they definitely need more offensive talent on Line 2.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Once upon a time, KK was a good kid who wanted to learn, unlike the lazy Galchenyuk... Everything is fine and dandy until it's not anymore.
I'd imagine that if he didn't seem like a good kid, he wouldn't have been drafted at 3rd overall. But yes it's hard to know pre-draft who will be lazy and too entitled to listen to criticism and who will actually put in the work.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
The problem with KK even back to his draft year was his conditioning. He'd regularly be great in the first period but after that played like a wet fart. He never improved on it unfortunately. He was a smart player, had good vision. He could never get his shot off though.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
You developp them, by putting them in situttion they can succeed. We don't have that in Montreal for Catton. Not everybody can be Tampa and I would'nt compare myself to a dynasty.

It's evident the way the roster is build and the reinbacker pick that we're aiming to be the next Dallas stars, not the next Lightning. And it's great like that.
Surely, a guy like Catton can’t play his game in our top 6 when he’s getting pushed around alongside our other undersized players like Suzuki, Slafkovsky and Dach… right?

Too many size queens see one small forward like Caufield in our top 6, and suddenly the entire top 6 is undersized.

And I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: take a look at the top 20 scorers in the NHL and you’ll find a wild and crazy statistic: half of them are ~185 lbs or less.

The Reinbacher pick also tells us that we absolutely needed to address the absolute black hole at RD much more than it tells us we’re trying to be the Dallas Stars. The fact that we’re comparing Tampa and Dallas also tells us one thing: there are many ways to build a contender and the only thing that’s non-negotiable is talent.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Size is important in the concept of a team.

Not individually.

Lightning won when they acquired big, gritty players. Their core was smallish but it was still a big team that played big too.

While individually looking at a player, talent will always prime over size.

But when a player has both, like Lindstrom, then an evident premium becomes attached to it because you have the potential for something very rare.

On the other hands, plenty of small talented forward and plenty of big unskilled player are always available.

Pretty simple.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I thought that was pretty well established since the lottery. Important thing is if 3 d go in the top 5, then Demidov is there for us.
I thought there was nothing well established after Celebrini.

Happy with one of Demidov/ Lindstrom, should D’Amico’s scenario pan out.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Not individually.

Lightning won when they acquired big, gritty players. Their core was smallish but it was still a big team that played big too.

But when a player has both, like Lindstrom, then an evident premium becomes attached to it because you have the potential for something very rare.

On the other hands, plenty of small talented forward and plenty of big unskilled player are always available.

Pretty simple.
Talent and size is the ideal. That’s why we’re all so hopeful about Slaf. A shame Lindstrom’s back got all mangled. I wanted to see what he could do. On the flipside, I guess if he had a great year he wouldn’t be available to us.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017

Not individually.

Pretty simple.
3rd and 4th line.. i agree..you need size...but in the first 2 lines you need talent even if you have 2 undersized players...Catton is more talented than Lindstrom..way more...you take him..

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Talent and size is the ideal. That’s why we’re all so hopeful about Slaf. A shame Lindstrom’s back got all mangled. I wanted to see what he could do. On the flipside, I guess if he had a great year he wouldn’t be available to us.

It might one big luck since i doubt a 6ft4 50 goals scoring centerman would be available at 5, in any given draft year.

On the other hand, its concerning, isnt it.

There is no free lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad