HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes because he was really good for the past 2 seasons. He’s my #1 Dmen personally
I have to imagine the three teams above us love Dickinson too. Hawks probably have a hard choice given that they would have to pass up on a lot of very good dmen in this draft to take Demidov when they will likely be a bottom 5 team next year where there seems to be more forwards at the top of the draft.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What does that have to do with what I said? You named 3 defencemen. I didn’t say “you shouldn’t have 3 good defenders”
You said defensive depth is not useful. I don t see any reason to believe it under the premise that Walker did not manage to pull COL past DAL as you stated. That is all :)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
1-Celebrini
2-Dickinson
3-Levshunov
4-Demidov
5- i have no idea
I don t see a world where Buium should be passed to take Levshunov… Everybody wants Quinn Hughes but many don t seem to value that much a guy who is better than Hughes at the same age (and taller). I would not be surprised at all if he ends up top 5. Sure he is a LHD but ANA just lost Drysdale so I could see a fit there, especially if Levshunov is gone. CHI s D pool is quite limited too. CBJ let s see since the GM was rather picking forwards when he was in CAR.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This is where you are misinterpreting. I never said “they are franchise players”. I said that they all have franchise player POTENTIAL,
As you mentioned in your original post, you're talking about ceilings, well then an argument can be made that 4 or 5 of the forwards can also be considered as having franchise player potential. With the way the Habs are presently constructed, I would pick a forward. I'd go even further. I would trade up the Winnipeg pick and select two forwards in the top half of the draft.
I think it’s pretty consensus that Buium, Dickinson, Silayev, and Levshunov have franchise level ceilings. Yakemchuk and Parekh do too, but are seen as less likely to reach it.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
No I didn’t but maybe you misunderstood
You said “Oh wow what defensive depth.” It didn’t make them better. Players get out of rhythm, they are not as effective with lower minutes.„

I think it is premature to see the Habs as a top defensive team. I like Guhle but he has never even played a fully healthy season yet. Struble Harris Xhekaj are likely rather bottom pair Dmen on a good team. Engstrom has top 4 potential but no idea if he ll realize it. Barron is a question mark, I don t think he is as bad as many think but nothing makes me think he is a sure top 4. Mailloux Hutson have played one game in the NHL, Reinbacher not even one. Pick BPA, if Buium is the next Hughes, you don t pass on him because you have a bunch of potential Savard / Zadorov on your team (and I really like those two players as 5Ds)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
As you mentioned in your original post, you're talking about ceilings, well then an argument can be made that 4 or 5 of the forwards can also be considered as having franchise player potential. With the way the Habs are presently constructed, I would pick a forward. I'd go even further. I would trade up the Winnipeg pick and select two forwards in the top half of the draft.
Ceiling is the same thing as potential. If you disagree with that, well, that’s a semantics debate/discussion I’m not interested in having.

As for the rest of it, that’s your opinion. I don’t agree, and that’s fine. We don’t have to agree as everyone is going to see things differently and is entitled to their opinion, but don’t try to say anything definitive or speak in absolutes like you did earlier. Neither of us knows anything for sure.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I prefer having Lindholm/Salvin personally. Those guys are on the ice for almost half of the game and they are a big part of a team controlling the tempo of a game

the other calculus I consider is that’s it’s easier to find winger by trade/UFA then Dmen
Might be a preference but their value is identical on the market.

It's also not easier to find physical and wingers with size. Look around the league for those moving around, it happens very rarely.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You said “Oh wow what defensive depth.” It didn’t make them better. Players get out of rhythm, they are not as effective with lower minutes.„

I think it is premature to see the Habs as a top defensive team. I like Guhle but he has never even played a fully healthy season yet. Struble Harris Xhekaj are likely rather bottom pair Dmen on a good team. Engstrom has top 4 potential but no idea if he ll realize it. Barron is a question mark, I don t think he is as bad as many think but nothing makes me think he is a sure top 4. Mailloux Hutson have played one game in the NHL, Reinbacher not even one. Pick BPA, if Buium is the next Hughes, you don t pass on him because you have a bunch of potential Savard / Zadorov on your team (and I really like those two players as 5Ds)
Studs need minutes. That’s the point. There are guys that you can trust and excel with 24 mins a game. Having 5 defencemen like that and playing them 18 mins a game isn’t a benefit.

Guys like Dickinson and Buium are not Hedman or Makar. They are marginally better than Guhle, Hutson. It’s a waste of a 5th overall pick to add a player that doesn’t move the needle because, again, we already have the guys to play a lot of minutes.

No one is talking about David Savard. I wouldn’t base a pick off of him.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think I might get in on the passive aggressive and rudimentary sarcastic comments and start seething because someone else has a different online hockey opinion than me like this other guy. Seems like it could be pretty constructive 😂. Oh wait, I forgot I’m an adult who can handle different opinions without acting like a middle schooler 🤦‍♂️. Too bad.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Wait a few more days and the number of franchise tags will double.
Well not to toot my own horn but I think I did that. Using the other poster's logic I claimed besides the 4 franchise d-men we may also have 3 to 5 franchise forwards. So you don't have to wait a few days. I gave you instant gratification. You are welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Are you serious? You correct Sean because he says we have more than enough d-men. Your counter-argument is that they have little experience and then you mention a d-man who hasn't played a second of the pro game.

Reactions: habsfan891

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It is getting to the point where I hope for Dickinson at #5 more than for a forward to drop by having Dickinson go above. Demidov is the only forward after Celibrini who I would want ahead of Dickinson.

Cayden Lindstrom is ofc an enticing option.

If top 4 goes Celibrini/Demidov/Dickinson/Levshunov (in any order) as I expect it to go, Lindstrom will be a fine option as well, but I feel like Dickinson will be a more special player and he would be the prize.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It is getting to the point where I hope for Dickinson at #5 more than for a forward to drop by having Dickinson go above. Demidov is the only forward after Celibrini who I would want ahead of Dickinson.

Cayden Lindstrom is ofc an enticing option.

If top 4 goes Celibrini/Demidov/Dickinson/Levshunov (in any order) as I expect it to go, Lindstrom will be a fine option as well, but I feel like Dickinson will be a more special player and he would be the prize.
But you have Dickinson going in the top 4. You can just as easily say Lindstrom will be a fine option but Celebrini would be a special player.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
But you have Dickinson going in the top 4. You can just as easily say Lindstrom will be a fine option but Celebrini would be a special player.
Yes I know. A few weeks ago only it seemed like he may be available. We will see. There is talk around Silayev. Some players are more interesting to scouts than fans, so maybe one of my top 4 guys will fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad