HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m afraid you’ve got it backwards. Nobody is overlooking Iginla. And if Iginla, with his tools, had all the skill Catton has, would be making the conversation for #1 much more interesting.

Nope. I have my opinion and my own draft board. Saying nobody is overlooking Iginla is a reach. You can only speak for yourself. He's more of a 5-7 range BPA IMO than a 7-10 range BPA. Catton is in the 7-10 range.

Catton is not in the top 5 for any credible list you can find. Iggy is though. Iginla is very young in this draft and is one of the hottest trending. Catton turned 18 this past Jan and Iggy doesn't turn 18 until Aug. That's a 8 or 9 month difference and I feel Iggy will have the best D+1 and D+2 rise more than most you see in this draft. I bet you Iggy shows his point totals next season like Catton did this past season. Remember, Iggy is 1.5 months away from being in the 2025 draft. You are catching him at the right time IMO.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If that consensus exists, why aren't those d-men slotted to go 2 - 7?
First, they are for a lot of scouts. Second, because there’s varying degrees of risk involved and everyone has a level they are or aren’t comfortable with. Nobody is saying any prospect is a sure thing one way or the other. These are still bets/gambles at the end of the day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
First, they are for a lot of scouts. Second, because there’s varying degrees of risk involved and everyone has a level they are or aren’t comfortable with. Nobody is saying any prospect is a sure thing one way or the other. These are still bets/gambles at the end of the day.

I see 2-10 all over the map and I agree with Bob M. There are going to be some surprises because each teams board will vary more than normal.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
But again, it’s the issue of diminishing returns. Look at the Avalanche. They got Sean Walker, the best defenceman on the market, just to play him on the 3rd pairing. “Oh wow what defensive depth.” It didn’t make them better. Players get out of rhythm, they are not as effective with lower minutes.

So it’s fine and dandy to want someone like Dickinson, thinking the Habs will have the best defence in the league, but playing Guhle 18 mins a game doesn’t make the Habs better. It’s not as simple as saying “this guy gets 100 points a year with 20 mins per game. He’ll get 50 points playing 10 mins per game”. It doesn’t work like that.

We literally have too many defencemen on the current team. That isn’t even counting Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom knocking at the door. It’s just asinine to even consider a defenceman. The offence is dogshit. We have one good line and the only reason it’s productive is because they play like 22 mins a game.
I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote here. Sean Walker is irrelevant. A #1D is probably the most important element to a winning team (#1 C would also be up there). If the Habs can draft a #1 D or #1C, they should do that.

Yeah the Habs have lots of D prospects. But the only one who has proven anything is Guhle, and to me he looks like a top-4 dman. I like all their dmen, but I just don't know what they have there. If Hutson is Cale Makar, and Engstrom is Nicklas Lidstrom, and Reinbacher is Alex Pietrangelo, then yeah they are set at D. The Habs internally will know best what they think they have with each player. But if they have a bunch of Sean Walkers, then keep drafting dmen and find a #1.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Nope. I have my opinion and my own draft board. Saying nobody is overlooking Iginla is a reach. You can only speak for yourself.

Catton is not in the top 5 for any credible list you can find. Iggy is though. Iginla is very young in this draft and is one of the hottest trending. Catton turned 18 this past Jan and Iggy doesn't turn 18 until Aug. That's a 8 or 9 month difference and I feel Iggy will have the best D+1 and D+2 rise more than most you see in this draft. I bet you Iggy shows his point totals next season like Catton did this past season. Remember, Iggy is 1.5 months away from being in the 2025 draft. You are catching him at the right time IMO.
Sure. You can speak for yourself and I can speak for myself. Don’t see the point in bringing up “credible lists” if that’s the case. Love for you that McKeens recently put Iginla at 5, but otherwise Button is the only one that puts any appreciable space between the two. Many have Catton higher.

And it’s nice that points don’t matter in respect to what Catton has done, but they will if Iginla can manage the same production next season.

And to your point about Iginla being overlooked - 50% of this board takes him at the Habs’ pick. You’re making really weird arguments.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sure. You can speak for yourself and I can speak for myself. Don’t see the point in bringing up “credible lists” if that’s the case. Love for you that McKeens recently put Iginla at 5, but otherwise Button is the only one that puts any appreciable space between the two. Many have Catton higher.

And it’s nice that points don’t matter in respect to what Catton has done, but they will if Iginla can manage the same production next season.

And to your point about Iginla being overlooked - 50% of this board takes him at the Habs’ pick. You’re making really weird arguments.

Back to the main point I made. It's close for me with Demidov and Iggy and I think I would take Iggy. Lindstrom is right behind them with me. Then it's Catton in the waive after. I don't dislike either of Lindstrom or Catton but they are in the waives after Demidov and Iggy. I value Iggy because his resume is very solid and he is one of the youngest trending hot. I like his size/weight and his shot. When I try to nit pick any flaws, I find it difficult. When I watch Catton's highlight reels, I see a lot of open space shine with not much physical contact. That usually does not translate well at the NHL level. I see a S Jarvis type with Catton (as his ceiling). I see a P Kane type with Demidov if he reaches his ceiling. I see a Kaprisov type with Iggy if he reaches his ceiling.

Credible list does play a factor for me but not the sole factor. It's one angle of many to factor in.

I'd like to see a new vote because I think many votes were made a while ago and some posters would change their vote today

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I still really like Catton. He seems to have an uncanny ability to continue his team's offensive pressure any time he touches the puck. He seems to know what he's doing with the puck before he gets it, and defencemen can't read it well. He just constantly gets the puck into areas where things can happen offensively. His vision is outstanding, and he's got all the skills to execute on it.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Subjective conversation. Iggy is ranked higher than Catton on some lists but not all and Demidov is the "popular" guy people have at 2. From 2-10, I can see some shockers because fans have their lists tied to the popular lists on the internet. Trust Bob M.... he said it's all over the map from 2-10+ in this draft and he has not seen this in 35 years.

Iggy is pure talent. He has the skill Catton has and is younger and more physically stronger. I feel some fans are overlooking Iggy because of his father but his resume is impressive.

I'm not buying the CHL production to rank guys. I like Catton but he is in my 2nd waive after Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom. I think someone like Catton hits a wall when they face faster more physically stronger players.
Catton will not hit a wall cause he will be smarter than 95% players in the Nhl.

His Iq is off chart. His puck possession play has so much variations.

He is able to change the tempo and the speed of his game as well and the defencemen will always be on edge.

His sauce passes from both sides to empty spaces to find his teamates will make him lethal. Lindstrom and Iginla have not that and for a player it is the most important quality to have.

He is a wizard outt there with the puck ..a kind of mix of Ribeiro, Kucherov when strength doest not matter cause their brain is so good.

Anticipation, vision , variations....it s Catton !!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Catton will not hit a wall cause he will be smarter than 95% players in the Nhl.

His Iq is off chart. His puck possession play has so much variations.

He is able to change the tempo and the speed of his game as well and the defencemen will always be on edge.

His sauce passes from both sides to empty spaces to find his teamates will make him lethal. Lindstrom and Iginla have not that and for a player it is the most important quality to have.

He is a wizard outt there with the puck ..a kind of mix of Ribeiro, Kucherov when strength doest not matter cause their brain is so good.

Anticipation, vision , variations....it s Catton !!

We are not on the same page. These are my ceiling hits if all players reach their potential. All will be top 6F assets but I have both Demidov and Iggy with top line potential. Catton is top 6F for me.

Demidov: P Kane type
Iggy: Kaprisov or F Forsberg type (No, he won't be like his father... this is true).
Catton: Seth Jarvis type

Saying Catton is 95% smarter than the entire NHL is a reach.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
We are not on the same page. These are my ceiling hits if all players reach their potential. All will be top 6F assets but I have both Demidov and Iggy with top line potential. Catton is top 6F for me.

Iggy: Kaprisov or F Forsberg type (No, he won't be like his father... this is true).

You know what i even going further.....Catton is already smarter WITH the puck than any player on the Habs roster....and I included Suzuki ..and Slaf.

I am not saying that he is better but his Iq with the puck is off chart.

In fact Catton is better than Jarvis and Suzuki at the same age.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You know what i even going further.....Catton is already smarter WITH the puck than any player on the Habs roster....and I included Suzuki ..and Slaf.

I am not saying that he is better but his Iq with the puck is off chart.

In fact Catton is better than Jarvis and Suzuki at the same age.

I'm aware of Catton's game. It's not like I don't like him, I just see top 6F vs top line potential. He's in my 7-10 waive.

He's not smarter than Suzuki with the puck. Sorry bud. I see a lot of open space flash when I watch Catton's highlight reels. I can see why you think the way you do but I have seen this far too often before to get gullible on that. Of course he could make me eat crow... it happens but these are few and far in-between.

With Demidov, I also see a lot of open space flash in his highlight reels. I just feel his skating is too good and he's going to do well as a puck possession winger. Catton does not have Demidov's skating.

With Iggy, I once again see a lot of open space flash in his highlight reels but I also see his game along the boards and in traffic. Combine his weight at a young age, his shot already NHL quality, and his ability to play in the physical areas, I am high on him. I have tried to nit pick his flaws and it's difficult to find.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
As we all know, NHL is a copycat / what is the latest fad league, will be interesting to see how the size & strength playoff roster construction factor, influences the draft…

Posted a Larry Brooks article “this summer NYR focus is all about size & strength and sacrificing regular season pretty stats for playoff success…. The cores time is over”.

There will be more of that leading up to draft…

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Definition of consensus: a general agreement. So your answer to my question is there is no general agreement. Thank you.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Definition of consensus: a general agreement. So your answer to my question is there is no general agreement. Thank you.
It could be a consensus opinion that they are seen as having franchise potential, but are simultaneously seen as risky to varying degrees, and teams still might choose other players over them. They are all rated at the top of this draft on virtually all lists. That IS consensus. Things aren’t black and white and there is nuance involved for most people. Thank you.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

lol is all you have? Next time, just laugh at the post. HF boards don't have time for your lack of context and this causes post wars about stupid stuff.

I can back up my opinions with context but I have zero time for lol comments and belittle narratives. This was a friendly request to do better than that.

Reactions: Fenris

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I have Dickinson high as well. I flip flop between him and Silayev at 3rd. I’d probably lean towards Dickinson at this point because he seems safer. The recent mem cup didn’t change much for me because I already thought he’s a stud, although he was impressive there. But man, if Silayev reaches that ceiling. Then I have Levshunov at 5th.

I think Silayev is great and 6‘7 17 year old Dman in the KHL says it all… However I think Dickinson moves the puck better which is why I definitely have him higher

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I see 2-10 all over the map and I agree with Bob M. There are going to be some surprises because each teams board will vary more than normal.
I think after Celebrini two tiers have emerged in the top 12:

2-6 will likely include Levshunov, Demidov, Silayev, Dickenson, and Lindstrom.

7-12 will likely include Iggy, Buium, Parekh, Catton, Helenius, and some wildcards like Eiserman, Sennecke, Yakemchuk.

I wouldn't be shocked if an Iggy or Buium broke into the top 6 and the draft can be full of surpises, but in general the first group of names are more commonly projected to be taken in the top 6/7 than the second group of names.

Reactions: MolleSon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think after Celebrini two tiers have emerged in the top 12:

2-6 will likely include Levshunov, Demidov, Silayev, Dickenson, and Lindstrom.

7-12 will likely include Iggy, Buium, Parekh, Catton, Helenius, and some wildcards like Eiserman, Sennecke, Yakemchuk.

I wouldn't be shocked if an Iggy or Buium broke into the top 6 and the draft can be full of surpises, but in general the first group of names are more commonly projected to be taken in the top 6/7 than the second group of names.

I agree with the two waives after Celebrini but the players in that waive are different with me. At the end of the day, it's subjective to who you asks and none of us our scouts.

I really like Iggy's potential as one of the youngest but hottest trending. I like the size/skating/skill package and I like his play in traffic. I could be wrong but after the D+1 and D+2, Iggy is considered blue chip and top line asset. He just checks off a lot of boxes with me.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Nope. I have my opinion and my own draft board. Saying nobody is overlooking Iginla is a reach. You can only speak for yourself. He's more of a 5-7 range BPA IMO than a 7-10 range BPA. Catton is in the 7-10 range.

What's a credible list?

JT3

May 27, 2013
I'm 80% certain at this point that it's just gonna be one of Demidov or Lindstrom. And while I would take Demidov first out of the two I feel like Lindstrom would really take us where we wanna go team-building wise and makes it a little easier to cough up assets for a skilled perimeter guy like Necas without worrying about being too soft up front down the road.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
lol is all you have? Next time, just laugh at the post. HF boards don't have time for your lack of context and this causes post wars about stupid stuff.

I can back up my opinions with context but I have zero time for lol comments and belittle narratives. This was a friendly request to do better than that.
lol

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It could be a consensus opinion that they are seen as having franchise potential, but are simultaneously seen as risky to varying degrees, and teams still might choose other players over them. They are all rated at the top of this draft on virtually all lists. That IS consensus. Things aren’t black and white and there is nuance involved for most people. Thank you.
The first 5 spots concerns Hab fans not the top of the draft. In more lists than not that I've seen, there are three forwards in the top 5 spots so I don't know where you got this consensus that 4, maybe even 6, of the d-men are franchise players. If that is the case then the 3 forwards in the top 5 spots must be elite almost generational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad