• Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Dude...he's 22 years old and he's been playing against opponents top lines at the NHL level. He's 4-5 years away from his prime. A lot of strong D aren't even in the NHL at his age. He's going to be a very good dman.

All of the D you mentioned are strong prospects but every single one of them has question marks. Guhle's top 4 already and still improving.
Agreed 👍

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Dude...he's 22 years old and he's been playing against opponents top lines at the NHL level. He's 4-5 years away from his prime. A lot of strong D aren't even in the NHL at his age. He's going to be a very good dman.

All of the D you mentioned are strong prospects but every single one of them has question marks. Guhle's top 4 already and still improving.
Dude, Guhle himself has question marks. He’s a top-4 NHL D, but it’s very much up in the air how much more he’ll improve.

Some D take longer to develop, some hit their potential early and stay there - e.g., Doughty, Hanifin, Ekblad, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, etc. In fact, I’d say it’s more common for good D to get there early and maintain rather than late bloomer situations, although both happen regularly.

We really don’t know for sure, but there’s really no indication that Guhle is going to suddenly become an offensive D; that’s just not his game. And I’d say it’s pretty likely that at least one of these guys will become far better than Guhle.

Guhle is a solid young D, but doesn’t and has never looked like he has franchise D, or even true 1D potential. Pretty much all these guys have that, or they wouldn’t be ranked where they are.

Reactions: Anardil

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Dude, Guhle himself has question marks. He’s a top-4 NHL D, but it’s very much up in the air how much more he’ll improve.

Some D take longer to develop, some hit their potential early and stay there - e.g., Doughty, Hanifin, Ekblad, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, etc. In fact, I’d say it’s more common for good D to get there early and maintain rather than late bloomer situations, although both happen regularly.

We really don’t know for sure, but there’s really no indication that Guhle is going to suddenly become an offensive D; that’s just not his game. And I’d say it’s pretty likely that at least one of these guys will become far better than Guhle.

Guhle is a solid young D, but doesn’t and has never looked like he has franchise D, or even true 1D potential. Pretty much all these guys have that, or they wouldn’t be ranked where they are.
Franchise D? Please. That's reserved for players like Makar and Dahlen.
Top 10 D prospects all look like sure things until they get exposed at the NHL level and it takes them 2-3 seasons before they make a positive impact IF they don't bust.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Franchise D? Please. That's reserved for players like Makar and Dahlen.
Top 10 D prospects all look like sure things until they get exposed at the NHL level and it takes them 2-3 seasons before they make a positive impact IF they don't bust.
I think it’s pretty consensus that Buium, Dickinson, Silayev, and Levshunov have franchise level ceilings. Yakemchuk and Parekh do too, but are seen as less likely to reach it. Now are they all going to become franchise D? Almost certainly not, but if you’re taking one of them, you obviously think your guy does or you wouldn’t be using a top ~10 pick on him. One thing is for sure though, nobody thinks Guhle has franchise potential, now or when he was drafted.

And it’s funny you say that about Makar specifically, because Buium just had a better draft year than Makar did a D+2. Hell, Levshunov had a better draft year than Makar did in his D+1 too. Thats not to say they’ll ever be as good as him, but the point is that they are very high level prospects.

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I think it’s pretty consensus that Buium, Dickinson, Silayev, and Levshunov have franchise level ceilings. Yakemchuk and Parekh do too, but are seen as less likely to reach it. Now are they all going to become franchise D? Almost certainly not, but if you’re taking one of them, you obviously think your guy does or you wouldn’t be using a top ~10 pick on him. One thing is for sure though, nobody thinks Guhle has franchise potential, now or when he was drafted.

And it’s funny you say that about Makar specifically, because Buium just had a better draft year than Makar did a D+2. Hell, Levshunov had a better draft year than Makar did in his D+1 too. Thats not to say they’ll ever be as good as him, but the point is that they are very high level prospects.
The only ones you mentioned who I believe have franchise potential are Silayev and Parekh but that's an extreme longshot and both have question marks. Levshunov has great tools but doesn't have a brain. Will Buium be able to withstand an NHL playoff heavy style? Yakemchuk can't skate backwards. Are you watching Dickinson tonight in the Memorial Cup? Not good so far. He's always been very inconsistent.

These are all strong prospects but every single one of them will need to have a lot go right in their development to become a top pairing Dman in the NHL which is what Guhle's on the verge of becoming. Also Guhle fits well with Habs culture and what they're trying to build. He's a gamer, a good teammate, works hard on his game and has captain attributes.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The only ones you mentioned who I believe have franchise potential are Silayev and Parekh but that's an extreme longshot and both have question marks. Levshunov has great tools but doesn't have a brain. Will Buium be able to withstand an NHL playoff heavy style? Yakemchuk can't skate backwards. Are you watching Dickinson tonight in the Memorial Cup? Not good so far. He's always been very inconsistent.

These are all strong prospects but every single one of them will need to have a lot go right in their development to become a top pairing Dman in the NHL which is what Guhle's on the verge of becoming. Also Guhle fits well with Habs culture and what they're trying to build. He's a gamer, a good teammate, works hard on his game and has captain attributes.
Strange take, and I don’t think many would agree with you.

You question if Buium, of all players, can handle a playoff heavy style? He shut down Celebrini and Hutson in the Frozen Four semi-final and then absolutely shut down a team that featured Will Smith, Cutter Gauthier, Ryan Leonard, and Gabriel Perreault in the championship game. Like, held them completely off the scoresheet, neutralized. He was by far the biggest reason for that and his team’s championship win. He plays in a men’s league and he put up the best season by a draft eligible NCAA D of all time this year. That’s a very odd choice to have this specific concern about, and it makes me question just how familiar you are with these players.

Levshunov has “no brain”, but his season completely blows away guys like Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar in the same league at the same age.

Yeah, very interesting take, to say the least.

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Strange take, and I don’t think many would agree with you.

You question if Buium, of all players, can handle a playoff heavy style? He shut down Celebrini and Hutson in the Frozen Four semi-final and then absolutely shut down a team that featured Will Smith, Cutter Gauthier, Ryan Leonard, and Gabriel Perreault in the championship game. Like, held them completely off the scoresheet, neutralized. He was by far the biggest reason for that and his team’s championship win. He plays in a men’s league and he put up the best season by a draft eligible NCAA D of all time this year. That’s a very odd choice to have this specific concern about, and it makes me question just how familiar you are with these players.

Levshunov has “no brain”, but his season completely blows away guys like Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar in the same league at the same age.

Yeah, very interesting take, to say the least.
Have you ever watched Levshunov play a game? I'm not talking highlight reels. Bad reads, decisions, positioning and all around defensive play. I believe this will catch up with him in the NHL when he can't simply rely on his tools. He does have amazing tools and strength/power but it's awfully hard to be a top pairing dman in the NHL with weak IQ.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Its still too soon to tell, depending on your definition of franchise. I think he's trending as a future top pair and might be a number 1 if everything fits perfectly. When I watch Heiskanen, there are a lot of things Guhle does at the same level or that he's trending in that direction.
Yup
He needs more time to grow

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Dickinson is good at hockey.

Big IF he’ll be there at 5. But if he is, I sure hope we’d take him.

Passing on him would be a mistake.

He’s led the comeback.
I think Chicago or Anaheim have got that covered. No way they pick good but flawed forwards (Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Lindstrom, etc.) over the future #1 D

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I think draft will go :

1. Celebrini
2. Dickinson
3. Lindstrom
4. Levshunov or Silayev (Silayev is riskier as he could become Zadorov or Myers or he could blow up and become Chara or Pronger)
5. Demidov or Iginla

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I think draft will go :

1. Celebrini
2. Dickinson
3. Lindstrom
4. Levshunov or Silayev (Silayev is riskier as he could become Zadorov or Myers or he could blow up and become Chara or Pronger)
5. Demidov or Iginla
ANA is 100% taking Lev if hes there. At worst they take Silayev. Imo, the top 3 is this:

Celebrini
Lev
Dickinson

Only ? is CLB. Do they take the big defensive D to go with Mateychuk and Jiricek (Silayev)? Potentially the best 2way D of the draft (Buium)? The big C? Or the skilled russian winger?

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
ANA is 100% taking Lev if hes there. At worst they take Silayev. Imo, the top 3 is this:

Celebrini
Lev
Dickinson

Only ? is CLB. Do they take the big defensive D to go with Mateychuk and Jiricek (Silayev)? Potentially the best 2way D of the draft (Buium)? The big C? Or the skilled russian winger?
Like, I absolutely think theres a chance (30-40%) that both Lindstrom and Demidov are there at 5.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Riggins

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I think draft will go :

1. Celebrini
2. Dickinson
3. Lindstrom
5. Demidov or Iginla
A better skating Zadorov would be a stud in the modern NHL

Reactions: Troyp

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Hold the horses on Dickinson. He had a great 3rd period but didn't look good at all in periods 1 and 2. I don't think tonight changed anything for him. Like everyone else in the top ~12 other than Celebrini, a very nice prospect with some question marks.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Hold the horses on Dickinson. He had a great 3rd period but didn't look good at all in periods 1 and 2. I don't think tonight changed anything for him. Like everyone else in the top ~12 other than Celebrini, a very nice prospect with some question marks.

Nope. What did Zayne do in ANY of the games?

The guy some compare to…Erik Karlsson?
I see more Gaston Gingras than Karlsson.

The entire London team was way off at the start for God knows what reason.

Dickinson elevated his team. I’ve seen him multiple times live this year. Would love him on the Habs. Posted the same words a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad