• Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
You think he has a high floor. That's perfectly fair. I don't believe we should consider floor when looking at a top5 pick but we could disagree on that. I think a team like ours should swing for the highest upside as often as possible and I don't think we need to depict scenarios where our top5 draft pick turns out to be the next Philip Danault as an argument in favour of that player.
I'm not necessarily talking about floors. I'm talking about the likelihood of being a weapon in the playoffs. If the top 12 or 15 guys hit their absolute ceilings, I think they're stars, including Lindstrom. I just happen to think that Lindstrom is more likely to be a weapon in the playoffs regardless of his outcome.

If he maxes out, he's what, a ppg+ physically dominant centre who absolutely no one looks forward to going up against? You can dream on him. But he's not the only guy you can dream on at the top of the draft. But what if he reaches 90% of his potential? Or 80, 70, 60, 50%? I think Lindstrom would still be a problem in the playoffs and I don't think the others would be.

Note that I'm not even necessarily advocating drafting him. I'm just applying a different lens.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think it’s hopium to think we can get Demidov but would be cool if the stars align for it.

I'm not so sure.

Even with the LD depth being what it is, I would seriously consider both Silayev (who also plays RD) and Dickinson for our pick. Add Levshunov and I could see a scenario where Demidov falls to 5. A team could also love any of the three other top defensemen. I'm not sure teams will repeat the mistake of 2018 where they let a bunch of high end defensemen on the boards. This D class has skill, size, speed and smarts.

Reactions: Runner77

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I don’t know how advanced NFL drafting methodology is vs the NHL, but on average, the NFL is drafting 22 year olds where a significant number has the ability to step into an NFL roster immediately.

The NHL on the other hand, is drafting 18-20 year olds and the vast majority require development.

It’s just so much more difficult to project an 18 year old vs a 22 year old draftee, which probably explains in large part why NHL drafts are less efficient than the NFL.

Plus, watching the NFL draft this year, I’ve heard time and again how a team can win a draft via its picks in the 3-7th rounds, which explains how several NFL teams chose to trade down in exchange for extra later picks. That strategy would likely backfire in the NHL, where the chances of landing a viable player decrease significantly the further away you get from the 1st-2nd round.

Best way to succeed in an NHL draft is to have advanced scouting tools (competent analytics) and the best talent evaluators you can get. Some scouts and scouting directors have a better track record than others and prying those away is huge but difficult to do.

Yeah that’s a fair point! I always thought NHL should be pushed at least a year later.

I do think though that from a development standpoint NHL teams are more rigid in their position swapping than NFL tends to be, unless it’s centre to wing. Though NFL is seeing less of that these days

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I'm not necessarily talking about floors. I'm talking about the likelihood of being a weapon in the playoffs. If the top 12 or 15 guys hit their absolute ceilings, I think they're stars, including Lindstrom. I just happen to think that Lindstrom is more likely to be a weapon in the playoffs regardless of his outcome.

If he maxes out, he's what, a ppg+ physically dominant centre who absolutely no one looks forward to going up against? You can dream on him. But he's not the only guy you can dream on at the top of the draft. But what if he reaches 90% of his potential? Or 80, 70, 60, 50%? I think Lindstrom would still be a problem in the playoffs and I don't think the others would be.

Note that I'm not even necessarily advocating drafting him. I'm just applying a different lens.
This is very well said. I’m on the Lindstrom bandwagon as well.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He's definitely not an offensive minded D for sure. He's a big meanie though.
He is, and if he turned out as good as Struble I'd rather have him since he's a righty, but I think he'd be redundant and not worth the opportunity cost of a potential top 6/9 forward we could get at 26

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
My personal choice for pick #5. If the top 2 (Lindstrom, Demidov) are gone by #5, I'd be disappointed if we took a lower ranked Forward (Iginla, Helenius) over the better D man to fill a need.

1. Cayden Lindstrom
2. Ivan Demidov
3. Artyom Levshunov
4. Sam Dickinson

Reactions: Habsrule

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If both Demidov and Lundstrom are gone when #5 comes along I simply.draft Dickinson or Buium.

If Guhle is the ask for any Defense for Forward trade, then trade Guhle get your top 6 forward and Dicky or Boom will be ready in 2 years when we start competing

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He is, and if he turned out as good as Struble I'd rather have him since he's a righty, but I think he'd be redundant and not worth the opportunity cost of a potential top 6/9 forward we could get at 26
I wouldn't put the chances of getting a top 6 forward very high at 26. Maybe some centers if they're given space to develop.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If both Demidov and Lundstrom are gone when #5 comes along I simply.draft Dickinson or Buium.

If Guhle is the ask for any Defense for Forward trade, then trade Guhle get your top 6 forward and Dicky or Boom will be ready in 2 years when we start competing
They might not be ready. They might just be starting out in the NHL. They might never become as good as Guhle will be. It often takes a dman 200 NHL games before you know what you've got.

I love your username by the way!

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
8sjuw4.jpg

I had to shoutout @Goldenhands in the top right.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
NHL teams always try to copy whatever is working at the moment and rn if you want to fight a team like Florida you go Lindstrom.

I’m 100% he’s not making it to us now.
It’s an imitation league, no doubt.

When you look at their top 6 (what you’re targeting with a top 5 pick), you see talent and grit, but not necessarily a lot of size.

Top 6: 2/6 over 200lbs.
… averages out to 194 lbs - below average for NHL forwards.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
They might not be ready. They might just be starting out in the NHL. They might never become as good as Guhle will be. It often takes a dman 200 NHL games before you know what you've got.

I love your username by the way!
Yeah idk. I don’t see Guhle’s potential as crazy high, especially offensively. He might progress and top out as a 30-40 point D, but I seriously doubt anything more than that. Defensively, he’s probably near his ceiling already - he’s already very good and plays on a shit team. The question is how much more room he has to improve offensively, like I said.

I’d take the gamble on all of Buium, Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, and possibly Parekh over keeping him, if we can trade him for a good young forward. All the top D in this draft have higher potential than Guhle, imo. And before you say anything, keep in mind I’m not saying all of them will for sure become better than Guhle - two different statements.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yeah idk. I don’t see Guhle’s potential as crazy high, especially offensively. He might progress and top out as a 30-40 point D, but I seriously doubt anything more than that. Defensively, he’s probably near his ceiling already - he’s already very good and plays on a shit team. The question is how much more room he has to improve offensively, like I said.

I’d take the gamble on all of Buium, Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, and possibly Parekh over keeping him, if we can trade him for a good young forward. All the top D in this draft have higher potential than Guhle, imo. And before you say anything, keep in mind I’m not saying all of them will for sure become better than Guhle - two different statements.
Dude...he's 22 years old and he's been playing against opponents top lines at the NHL level. He's 4-5 years away from his prime. A lot of strong D aren't even in the NHL at his age. He's going to be a very good dman.

All of the D you mentioned are strong prospects but every single one of them has question marks. Guhle's top 4 already and still improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad