HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Draft prospect hockey updated there mock draft simulator with McKenzie and Button list. Here is what I did

5: Tij Iginla
26: Michael Hage
46: Cole Beaudoin
66: Justin Poirier
78: Ben Danford
130: Alexandre Blais
166: Austin Burnevik
198: Justin Gendron
222: Jack Pridham
If that's happening on draft day I'll make peace with WTK

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Draft prospect hockey updated there mock draft simulator with McKenzie and Button list. Here is what I did

That's a heck of a haul :oops: I'd sure be happy with that. Love all of your later picks, lots of potential there, all with good size too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gustave

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

These are so unrealistic :laugh:

5: Cayden Lindstrom
26: Nikita Artamonov
57: Stian Solberg
70: EJ Emery
102: Carson Wetsch
130: Sebastian Soini
134: Lucas Van Vliet
166: Ondrej Becher
198: Viggo Gustafsson
210: Hiroki Gojsic
222: Hunter Laing

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Brock Otten's final top 50 out of the OHL list is now out. As usual, he's the go-to reference for that league, in my book at least.
“I wouldn't hesitate at all to use a lottery selection on Sennecke at this point. I think he can be first line player in the NHL when all is said and done”

Quite the endorsement from Brock.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm a fan of Iginla since the beginning, but I don't know who I like more between him and Sennecke.

Sennecke seems have more offensive potential in him. Iginla will be a very good goalscorer, I certainly see a 30-35g per season from him with 65 pts++

Sennecke, I see better playmaking ability in him, with great goalscoring instinct aswell. I can easily see him put 30g per season with tons of assists. He will score beauty goals with his great hands, Iginla will score more shitty goal (his style of play).

Sennecke isn't Armia 2.0, he have much more offensive IQ, 70 pts per season is a realistic projection for Sennecke at NHL level.

I think Beckett Sennecke is a truly worthy top 5 pick. Even if in my mind it's going to be one of Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.

Sennecke and Reinbacher are maybe not the top 5 favorite picks of people, but they are going very very great players for many years to come and their style are perfect to play great in playoffs hockey.

Habs need to build a Stanley Cup contender, not just a fun season regular team.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
“I wouldn't hesitate at all to use a lottery selection on Sennecke at this point. I think he can be first line player in the NHL when all is said and done”

Yes... but he also has Parekh and Dickisnson ahead of him....

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I wouldn't mind Sennecke at 10th, but I still don't like him at 5th.

I've never been a fan of later risers, and I'm personally worried to see how his game is impacted by his frame filling out. The way he gets around defenders with his lanky frame is interesting, but if he fills out with 30lbs of muscle to get up to 205lbs, then I'm not sure if he'll maintain that aspect of his game.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I see it both ways. I see it his way of saying they will focus on defensemen, but know the importance of goal scorers.

The fact that CBJ has the following defensemen: Werenski, Severson, Provorov, Jiricek, Boqvist (who can still turn his game around), and blue chip prospect/stud Mateychuk...! They're in a good position going forward with their defense. On the other hand, there's this:

SeasonGoals For (GF)Goals Against (GA)Goal Differential
2023-24237 (8th lowest)300 (2nd highest)-63 (4th lowest)
2022-23214 (3rd lowest)330 (2nd highest)-116 (2nd lowest)
2021-22262 (14th highest)300 (5th highest)-116 (12th lowest)
2020-21137 (3rd lowest)187 (7th highest)-50 (3rd lowest)
2019-20180 (3rd lowest)187 (3rd lowest)-7 (9th lowest)

There's a trend that they're getting worse each year with Goals Against (from 3rd lowest (which is great), to 7th highest, to 5th highest, then 2nd highest two years in a row)... Obviously, this will change soon with Jiricek getting better and Mateychuk joining the team.

Looking at what Don Waddell said, their focus is on goal scoring and on defense. I might be in the minority here, but I think (and hope) that "rules out" CBJ going for Demidov, because Demidov isn't known to be a goal scorer IMO. Instead, CBJ might be looking at trading down to get Eiserman, or simply stay and pick one of Lindstrom, Catton, or Iginla. If they trade down to get this year's "best" goal scorer in Eiserman, they might be able to also get a really good defenseman (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

Otherwise, they might simply go for someone like Silayev, Dickinson, Buium, or Levshunov to ensure their defense is set for the near future. Next year's draft seems to be very forward-heavy, and CBJ isn't getting out of the "gutter" just yet.

Honestly, my opinion right now is CBJ will either trade down and get Eiserman or stay put and draft 1 of Lindstrom/Catton/Iginla. My reason being is they already have top defensemen, and with Jiricek growing into his game and Mateychuk soon to join the team, They don't *need* another top defenseman IMO. They can do with acquiring 2nd pairing D going forward, but the goal scoring will still be missing!
What you say makes a lot of sense, in my book even though GM is changing I could see them going Lindstrom to have Fantili / Lindstrom as 1C /2C ot take a Dman (esp. Dickinson since in my mind Provorov is not a long term plan for them)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

FWIW, he's been on that bandwagon since the start of the season. He's always been very high on his potential. Dickinson has always been his guy though, I don't think he's had him anywhere but at first in the league all season. I 100% agree with that notion personally, Dickinson is a good notch above the rest in my book. I'm a pretty firm believer in his offensive game at the next level, I see him as more of a Dobson than a Skjei at the next level. Time will tell, obviously.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
FWIW, he's been on that bandwagon since the start of the season. He's always been very high on his potential. Dickinson has always been his guy though, I don't think he's had him anywhere but at first in the league all season.
Yeah I didn’t remember his early season rankings but the way he talks about Sennecke is that he’s been waiting for this explosion for a while.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yeah I didn’t remember his early season rankings but the way he talks about Sennecke is that he’s been waiting for this explosion for a while.
I've read in multiple places that a lot of professional scouts were high on Sennecke when he was 5'10. They were all waiting for him to "re-calibrate" after his growth spurt and clearly he did enough in the second half for some of them.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I wouldn't mind Sennecke at 10th, but I still don't like him at 5th.

I've never been a fan of later risers, and I'm personally worried to see how his game is impacted by his frame filling out. The way he gets around defenders with his lanky frame is interesting, but if he fills out with 30lbs of muscle to get up to 205lbs, then I'm not sure if he'll maintain that aspect of his game.

Not a fan of late risers ? Bad experiences with guys like Seider, Makar and Pettersson ?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not a fan of late risers ? Bad experiences with guys like Makar and Pettersson ?
I guess there are the Kotkaniemi's as late risers that backfired miserably. That being said, it's rare to have a professional athlete have such bad work ethic when it comes to improving himself so it's unlikely that Sennecke ends up the same way.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I guess there are the Kotkaniemi's as late risers that backfired miserably. That being said, it's rare to have a professional athlete have such bad work ethic when it comes to improving himself so it's unlikely that Sennecke ends up the same way.

Yeah, bad experiences from a few players that bias people, but I would venture a guess and say rising late likely has more positive correlations to success. It's strange to think that a 17-18 year old upping his game in the highest pressure situations he's faced, in his most important year, is actually a negative. Sennecke in particular was always skilled, but now he's skilled and 6'3"/6'4".

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, bad experiences from a few players that bias people, but I would venture a guess and say rising late likely has more positive correlations to success. It's strange to think that a 17-18 year old upping his game in the highest pressure situations he's faced, in his most important year, is actually a negative. Sennecke in particular was always skilled, but now he's skilled and 6'3"/6'4".

I'd tell people to get comfortable with the notion of Sennecke at 5. That noise ain't out there for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad