HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I don't think that he was offered a contract and was allowed to walk. I don't recall one way or another but I know that when he left college he was already considered a bust. Perhaps he was offered a minor league contract lol
For a team to receive compensation an offer had to be made.

Someone mentioned it's standard practice to offer the first round NCAA guys right after they get drafted - they almost always turn it down to continue their studies and NCAA career but it ensures teams are compensated should they ever bust

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Because that puts it more likely CBJ targets a forward in the draft.

But then if you listen, he's actually saying the opposite.
I see it both ways. I see it his way of saying they will focus on defensemen, but know the importance of goal scorers.

The fact that CBJ has the following defensemen: Werenski, Severson, Provorov, Jiricek, Boqvist (who can still turn his game around), and blue chip prospect/stud Mateychuk...! They're in a good position going forward with their defense. On the other hand, there's this:

SeasonGoals For (GF)Goals Against (GA)Goal Differential
2023-24237 (8th lowest)300 (2nd highest)-63 (4th lowest)
2022-23214 (3rd lowest)330 (2nd highest)-116 (2nd lowest)
2021-22262 (14th highest)300 (5th highest)-116 (12th lowest)
2020-21137 (3rd lowest)187 (7th highest)-50 (3rd lowest)
2019-20180 (3rd lowest)187 (3rd lowest)-7 (9th lowest)

There's a trend that they're getting worse each year with Goals Against (from 3rd lowest (which is great), to 7th highest, to 5th highest, then 2nd highest two years in a row)... Obviously, this will change soon with Jiricek getting better and Mateychuk joining the team.

Looking at what Don Waddell said, their focus is on goal scoring and on defense. I might be in the minority here, but I think (and hope) that "rules out" CBJ going for Demidov, because Demidov isn't known to be a goal scorer IMO. Instead, CBJ might be looking at trading down to get Eiserman, or simply stay and pick one of Lindstrom, Catton, or Iginla. If they trade down to get this year's "best" goal scorer in Eiserman, they might be able to also get a really good defenseman (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

Otherwise, they might simply go for someone like Silayev, Dickinson, Buium, or Levshunov to ensure their defense is set for the near future. Next year's draft seems to be very forward-heavy, and CBJ isn't getting out of the "gutter" just yet.

Honestly, my opinion right now is CBJ will either trade down and get Eiserman or stay put and draft 1 of Lindstrom/Catton/Iginla. My reason being is they already have top defensemen, and with Jiricek growing into his game and Mateychuk soon to join the team, They don't *need* another top defenseman IMO. They can do with acquiring 2nd pairing D going forward, but the goal scoring will still be missing!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Fischer story is pretty tragic and another black mark on Bergevin’s record. The guy’s mum died of cancer when he was in college. I believe he was raised by her alone. He tells the story that people from the Habs rarely called him or supported him. No after draft development/mentoring. Apparently he got into partying and stuff and didn’t focus enough on hockey. Seems like a good kid that could have benefited from some follow up calls and someone who gave a shit about him.
How so?

Pierre Gauthier was GM when the org decided not to offer Fischer a contract back in 2010 - 4-years post draft. MB was named GM in 2012

BTW, as Pat Hickey reported pre-2006 draft, it was Gauthier, then AGM, who was spending a lot of time watching Minny High School games

Per CBA: Habs had to make Fischer a bona fide offer of a SPC (Standard Player Contract) that would be declined, in order to gain compensation which the org didn’t

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Please don’t overthink this and take the big C with size and skill and who can impose himself physically. Lindstrom!
If he's still available I'm convinced he is the pick. Looks like a good kid from interviews's I've seen. He'd fit right in with the core we're building.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Per CBA: Habs had to make Fischer a bona fide offer of a SPC (Standard Player Contract) that would be declined, in order to gain compensation which the org didn’t
What do you mean by "which the org didn't" ?
We received pick #50 in the 2011 draft which was traded to NYI

Reactions: Shred

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Does that mean you want Helenius or no?

After seeing WTKs post though, I'll be praying every night for little Konsta to he a hab.

Looking forward to getting slept by a psychologist that's half my weight....

Sorry, I have to correct a few wild inaccuracies.

1. Nobody wants Helenius. Deep down, even Goldenhands doesn't want Helenius.
2. I'm not making anyone sleep. I'm 100% getting smeshed.
3. I'm not a psychologist.
4. 80% of your weight.
5. Draft Demidov.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see it both ways. I see it his way of saying they will focus on defensemen, but know the importance of goal scorers.

The fact that CBJ has the following defensemen: Werenski, Severson, Provorov, Jiricek, Boqvist (who can still turn his game around), and blue chip prospect/stud Mateychuk...! They're in a good position going forward with their defense. On the other hand, there's this:

SeasonGoals For (GF)Goals Against (GA)Goal Differential
2023-24237 (8th lowest)300 (2nd highest)-63 (4th lowest)
2022-23214 (3rd lowest)330 (2nd highest)-116 (2nd lowest)
2021-22262 (14th highest)300 (5th highest)-116 (12th lowest)
2020-21137 (3rd lowest)187 (7th highest)-50 (3rd lowest)
2019-20180 (3rd lowest)187 (3rd lowest)-7 (9th lowest)

There's a trend that they're getting worse each year with Goals Against (from 3rd lowest (which is great), to 7th highest, to 5th highest, then 2nd highest two years in a row)... Obviously, this will change soon with Jiricek getting better and Mateychuk joining the team.

Looking at what Don Waddell said, their focus is on goal scoring and on defense. I might be in the minority here, but I think (and hope) that "rules out" CBJ going for Demidov, because Demidov isn't known to be a goal scorer IMO. Instead, CBJ might be looking at trading down to get Eiserman, or simply stay and pick one of Lindstrom, Catton, or Iginla. If they trade down to get this year's "best" goal scorer in Eiserman, they might be able to also get a really good defenseman (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

Otherwise, they might simply go for someone like Silayev, Dickinson, Buium, or Levshunov to ensure their defense is set for the near future. Next year's draft seems to be very forward-heavy, and CBJ isn't getting out of the "gutter" just yet.

Honestly, my opinion right now is CBJ will either trade down and get Eiserman or stay put and draft 1 of Lindstrom/Catton/Iginla. My reason being is they already have top defensemen, and with Jiricek growing into his game and Mateychuk soon to join the team, They don't *need* another top defenseman IMO. They can do with acquiring 2nd pairing D going forward, but the goal scoring will still be missing!

Look at the defenseman you just profiled though. Jiricek is a big kid but the defense is only ok and his bread and butter is his rush game and his shot. Mateychuk is small and offensively inclined. Severson is big and offensive but terrible defensively. Werenski is more all around but skews offense. Boqvist hasn't panned out but again and offense guy. They do need a top defenseman, they need a top defenseman who can play big minutes, shut things down and move things in a positive direction for those offensive defenseman.

I think they're going Silayev or Dickinson and really getting that anchor for their defense that will increase the value of those other defenseman they already have.

Moving on to the Athletic pod this morning with Pronman.

Re: Iginla, scouts are divided some have him top 10, some have him in the teens. The questions teams have are on the hockey sense items and his playmaking ability.

Re: Sennecke, he's up to 7 on his list and the growing belief in the league is that this guy when he fills out is going to be a top line player, maybe not a top scorer on a team but the guy who finishes 2 or 3 on a team in scoring and is in that 70-80 point range if he hits.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Draft prospect hockey updated there mock draft simulator with McKenzie and Button list. Here is what I did

5: Tij Iginla
26: Michael Hage
46: Cole Beaudoin
66: Justin Poirier
78: Ben Danford
130: Alexandre Blais
166: Austin Burnevik
198: Justin Gendron
222: Jack Pridham

You got Poirier at 66? Take it and run.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What do you mean by "which the org didn't" ?
We received pick #50 in the 2011 draft which was traded to NYI
My error, I had forgotten the Habs had in fact made an offer to Fischer within 1yr of being drafted which he turned down, thus making the Mtl eligible to receive 2nd rounder as compensatory pick. The org didn’t make a 2nd offer in 2010 thus relinquishing his rights

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Cayden Lindstrom might be able to score goals.
I would be happy with Lindstrom. He’ll bring a few things: size, aggression, can play center if Dach goes down… There are tons of players I’d be happy with.

And Eiserman doesn’t have a complete game right now. I get why so many have written him off. But he’s two weeks removed from next year’s draft, broke the goal scoring record, has decent size and passing ability… the potential for a superstar is there.

I get us not wanting to take a risk with him at five. We can’t draft that high and come away with nothing and Eiserman’s floor is lower than probably anyone else in the top ten. He’s more of a boom or bust. But I hope we move up with our second pick. I think he’d thrive in this environment. Suzuki and Dach are good two way centers. If we added Lindstrom to that mix we’d be in really good shape. Drafting Eiserman at 10th or beyond is absolutely worth the risk.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I wouldn't lose too much sleep if we trade Matheson to a bubble team in exchange for a pick in the 10-16 range, then take Buium with our pick and take a faller of Eiserman/Catton/Helenius/Sennecke with the other pick. Buium/Guhle/Hutson has the potential to be a scary left side.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wouldn't lose too much sleep if we trade Matheson to a bubble team in exchange for a pick in the 10-16 range, then take Buium with our pick and take a faller of Eiserman/Catton/Helenius/Sennecke with the other pick. Buium/Guhle/Hutson has the potential to be a scary left side.
Again, diminishing returns. Hutson is neutered if we draft Buium. There’s really no benefit to having him anymore.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seriously, GMs make the picks, not scouts. Those who see dmen fill the top 10 have not understood it.

Waddell is known for letting his scouts do their job and leaving it in their hands. But, that quote and what he said, it would lend itself to them picking a defenseman not a forward.

Guy was just pissing himself off and getting his followers who are still mad about passing on Michkov angrier.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Turning Matheson into Buium would require a 3rd testament of the Bible to be written about Kent Hughes

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Waddell is known for letting his scouts do their job and leaving it in their hands. But, that quote and what he said, it would lend itself to them picking a defenseman not a forward.

Guy was just pissing himself off and getting his followers who are still mad about passing on Michkov angrier.
That dude is one of the bigger Habs rage-baiters on Twitter. His whole act is to say something controversial and then acquire dopamine hits from likes and comments. Pretty sure he was a lawyer for TSN at one point too, so it's kind of sad that this is his form of entertainment.

I know Timmins is out from other MB's thumb, but I wonder if he still has a MOAR BIG bias, especially where CLB has Gaudreau locked in for a while. Could lean Lindstrom

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Always makes me laugh when a re-entry like Romani is ranked in the late 3rd round by most outlets.

If any team drafted a guy like that late 3rd round last year he'd be a unanimous 1st or 2nd rounder in a redraft.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That dude is one of the bigger Habs rage-baiters on Twitter. His whole act is to say something controversial and then acquire dopamine hits from likes and comments. Pretty sure he was a lawyer for TSN at one point too, so it's kind of sad that this is his form of entertainment.

I know Timmins is out from other MB's thumb, but I wonder if he still has a MOAR BIG bias, especially where CLB has Gaudreau locked in for a while. Could lean Lindstrom

They could but Timmins also loves defenseman and they did get Fantilli last year, have Voronkov, etc. so I'm not sure if they are as worried about that as they are to get a future defenseman who can let Jiricek and Mateychuk cook.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

I know Timmins is out from other MB's thumb, but I wonder if he still has a MOAR BIG bias, especially where CLB has Gaudreau locked in for a while. Could lean Lindstrom.

Add Kent Johnson to the list of smallish-sized skilled forwards.

Reactions: Saundies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad