HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Im going to retire after this draft regardless of the issue, you bring alot to this board, I dont wish you bad. My armchair scouting carreer is over, Im moving on...

Why though ?

You said that last year and here you are. Are you realizing you're in decline (hence the Helenius prediction) and would rather do a Patrick Roy, bowing out while still on a decent high ?

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So an indication that they are eyeing the dmen, at the draft and probably trades.
Likely, Waddell studied under Scotty during those years of Detroit dynasty. Build a great defense, Coffey, Fetisov, Lindstrom, Konstantinov. Waddell did same in Carolina. Trading for Burns, Dougie Hamilton , Skjei, Orlov while having Pesce, Slavin. Not like you can't see the drill.

Scotty learned it from Pollock and Montreal's Big Three of '70s dynasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Likely, Waddell studied under Scotty during those years of Detroit dynasty. Build a great defense, Coffey, Fetisov, Lindstrom, Konstantinov. Waddell did same in Carolina. Trading for Burns, Skjei, Orlov while having Pesce, Slavin. Not like you can't see the drill.

Scotty learned it from Pollock and Montreal's Big Three of '70s dynasty.
Best team ever

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I think it goes:

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Dickinson
3. ANA - Levshunov
4. CLB - Demidov
5. MTL - Iginla
6. UTA - Buuim
7. OTT - Eiserman
8. SEA - Lindstrom
9. CGY - Yakemchuk
10. NJD - Silayev
11. BUF - Connelly
12. PHI - Sennecke
13. MIN - Brandsegg-Nygård
14. SJS - Parekh
15. DET - Helenius
I have it this way

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Silyaev
3. ANA - Levshunov
4. CBS - Dickinson
5. MTL - Demidov
6. UTA - Buium
7. OTT - Yakemchuk
8. SEA - Lindstrom
9. CGY - Iginla
10. NJD - Sennecke
11. BUF - Parekh
12. PHI - Catton
13. MIN - Helenius
14. SJS - MBN
15. DET - Chernysov

I have a feeling Silyaev is first D off the board and once he goes I think Levshunov and Dickinson are odds favorites to follow.

I'm not a massive Demidov homer for the Habs, matter fact, if we were drafting at 3 I'd hesitate long and hard between him and some of the available D but in this scenario I think it's between him and Lindstrom but the health issues give Demidov the edge

Catton and Parekh's lack of size, grit and physicality has them as easy drops for me, I think Yakemchuk will be the 2nd RD taken with a chance of also going ahead of Levshunov but id place a bet that he goes ahead of Parekh.

Buium is a massive wild card and can go anywhere from 3 to 13

From there on the only wild card remaining that I have is Eiserman which i'd bet drops considerably. The first teams I see taking him are Buffalo or maybe The Sharks at 14.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank JT

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
  • I have it this way

1. SJS - Celebrini
    2. CHI - Silyaev
    3. ANA - Levshunov
    4. CBS - Dickinson
    5. MTL - Iginla
    6. UTA - Buium
    7. OTT - Yakemchuk
    8. SEA - Lindstrom
    9. CGY - Helenius
    10. NJD - Sennecke
    11. BUF - Parekh
    12. PHI - Catton
    13. MIN - MBN
    14. SJS - Eiserman
    15. DET - Chernysov
    No Demidov ?!?!?!

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
That is a homer dreaming scenario if I understand your post. Mailloux is only worth about a 33rd pick so basically it is 26th OA pick for 14th OA pick?!?

This scenario, Mailloux + 26ov vs 14th pick, is probably not realistic either but I think it is more realistic than your scenario.
Mailloux is ready to take an NHl spot this coming season. A 33rd wouldn’t be ready for a couple seasons. I see that being the reason why 26 for 14 is proposed imo

I have it this way

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Silyaev
3. ANA - Levshunov
4. CBS - Dickinson
5. MTL - Dickinson
6. UTA - Buium
7. OTT - Yakemchuk
8. SEA - Lindstrom
9. CGY - Iginla
10. NJD - Sennecke
11. BUF - Parekh
12. PHI - Catton
13. MIN - Helenius
14. SJS - MBN
15. DET - Chernysov

I have a feeling Silyaev is first D off the board and once he goes I think Levshunov and Dickinson are odds favorites to follow.

I'm not a massive Demidov homer for the Habs, matter fact, if we were drafting at 3 I'd hesitate long and hard between him and some of the available D but in this scenario I think it's between him and Lindstrom but the health issues give Demidov the edge

Catton and Parekh's lack of size, grit and physicality has them as easy drops for me, I think Yakemchuk will be the 2nd RD taken with a chance of also going ahead of Levshunov but id place a bet that he goes ahead of Parekh.

From there on the only wild card remaining that I have is Eiserman which i'd bet drops considerably. The first teams I see taking him are Buffalo or maybe The Sharks at 14.
I like the list but you have Dickinson twice instead of Demidov

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I don’t like the idea of demidov.

I don’t habe a lot of faith that his game will translate well in the Pro even less in the playoffs when you watch the games. Theres nobody that try to dangle through 3 players like on a pond hockey game.

Patrick Kane also played pond hockey

Demidov ain’t Kane level. Calm down your expectation

Reactions: Naslund

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I have it this way

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Silyaev
3. ANA - Levshunov
4. CBS - Dickinson
5. MTL - Demidov
6. UTA - Buium
7. OTT - Yakemchuk
8. SEA - Lindstrom
9. CGY - Iginla
10. NJD - Sennecke
11. BUF - Parekh
12. PHI - Catton
13. MIN - Helenius
14. SJS - MBN
15. DET - Chernysov

Just realized I f***ed up on my mock, forgot Catton :laugh:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I've said it even before the Memorial cup but I can definitely see Dickinson taken after Levshunov. Offers a similar kind of profile but without the 3 year contract like Silayev.

Which can only be a good thing for us.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Iginla is the way to go. Not as sexy as Demidov, or as physically imposing as Lindstrom, but he will be the most effective player of the three. Best combo of skills, strength, shooting skills, speed and compete level. It should be a no brainer pick for our scouting team and HuGo.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Lol. David Fischer turned down a contract offer ?. Well if anybody was going to turn down a contract from us glad it was him.
The Fischer story is pretty tragic and another black mark on Bergevin’s record. The guy’s mum died of cancer when he was in college. I believe he was raised by her alone. He tells the story that people from the Habs rarely called him or supported him. No after draft development/mentoring. Apparently he got into partying and stuff and didn’t focus enough on hockey. Seems like a good kid that could have benefited from some follow up calls and someone who gave a shit about him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

There doesn't appear to be any indication that this comment was directed at the draft and he did mention building the roster through the summer into next season. His comment also seemed to target play-style/tactics/strategies in the D zone rather than personnel imo as he mentioned "cleaning up" defensively as opposed to changing/targeting defensive personnel.

I could be wrong but this is how I interpreted his comments.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Lol. David Fischer turned down a contract offer ?. Well if anybody was going to turn down a contract from us glad it was him.

I don't think that he was offered a contract and was allowed to walk. I don't recall one way or another but I know that when he left college he was already considered a bust. Perhaps he was offered a minor league contract lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't hate Lindstrom. I actually really like him. He could be Josh Anderson, but he would have to improve his vision to get there.
That's cold man.

Real cold.

If we hear Eiserman, Helenius or Silayev as our pick at #5, I'd be quite critical of the decision and would be inclined to scrutinize it heavily in order to understand the thought process and the direction we're going.

I could much more easily accept/understand virtually any of the other names that have been talked about in here at #5. There would be more scrutiny with some than others, but I could imagine being satisfied after hearing the Habs brass talk about the pick afterwards.
I'd still love to take Eiserman. For all his flaws, the guy can score at an insane rate. I don't think we'll take him but I hope we move up with our second pick and grab him later. Looks like he could drop out of the top ten.

Habs management seems extremely opposed to picking up players with perceived character issues. Bergevin liked to talk about character but constantly picked up guys who were very questionable in that regard if he deemed the price was low enough to be worth it. I don't get that sense from Hughes personally. I don't think any amount of talent would sway him.
Caufield aside, for a long time now Habs management has also been extremely opposed to picking up players who can score goals.

Then we've wondered why we can't score.

This is how I see the draft falling, top 15 mock draft.

1-:sharksMacklin Celebrini C

2- :hawks Ivan Demidov F

3-:ducks Anton Silayev D

4- :cbj Cayden Lindstrom C

5- :habs Konsta Helenius C

6- View attachment 877613 Artem Levshunov D

7-:sens Sam Dickinson D

8- :seattle Zeev Buium D

9-:flames Carter Yakemchuk D

10-:devils Cole Eiserman F

11-:sabres Tij Iginla F

12- :flyers Berkly Catton F

13-:wild Beckett Sennecke F

14- :sharks Zayne Parekh D

15- :wings Michael Brandsegg-Nygard F

I don't see us not taking Levshunov if he were available and Demidov and Lidstrom are gone.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
My city is getting a Liiga team next season, which is very exciting. I might be able to conveniently watch Iginla when he invariably ends up in Europe. Not sure he has the playmaking, though. Good prospect though, don't hate the guy, top 15 fo sho.

Reactions: Hannibal and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If the Habs pick Helenius, I will personally go into the ring to fight @Mrb1p 's massive quads and get destroyed on video for all to see. I will also wear nothing but a cat shaped hat.
Does that mean you want Helenius or no?

After seeing WTKs post though, I'll be praying every night for little Konsta to he a hab.

I'm going to hold you to this just like how I held @Stive Morgan to his word about him eating a shirt if we drafted Cole Fonstad.
Looking forward to getting slept by a psychologist that's half my weight....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad