HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It feels like that our scouting team is just really bad at picking high-end forwards, but are really good at drafting defensemen and high-value picks later in the rounds (who then have a chance of becoming good top 9 NHLers).

Obviously still hoping that both Slaf and Mesar hit and that we draft a high-end forward in 2024 as well.

I think sample size and situational disparity play a large role. We have been put in relatively terrible dilemmas when picking high and I think the organization may have played it a little safe with higher picks. It would be nice to have a high pick that is a slam dunk come to us more often as Caufield did but the Slaf, Reinbacher, Mesar picks which by no means should be labelled busts this early were defaulting to perceived safety amidst picks considered by the organization to be too risky (not relevant to the Mesar pick as it was a late first).

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think after witnessing the development and impact of Byfield, Lindstrom goes 3 OA who some view as a better prospect than Byfield.

I also think a productive, skilled 6ft4 center will probably be picked very, very high.

But that dont answer why Demidov would be a no draft 😂

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I also think a productive, skilled 6ft4 center will probably be picked very, very high.

But that dont answer why Demidov would be a no draft 😂
Whether he is draftable or not, his huge upside means that Lindstrom goes higher than Demidov or Catton. Depending how the rest of his year goes, you may even see Lindstrom go before Eiserman. Size, speed and high skill is an intoxicating mixture for most teams. Or at least it should be.

Reactions: rochab

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Whether he is draftable or not, his huge upside means that Lindstrom goes higher than Demidov or Catton. Depending how the rest of his year goes, you may even see Lindstrom go before Eiserman. Size, speed and high skill is an intoxicating mixture for most teams. Or at least it should be.

I also believe he is certainly in the discussion but my viewing on him are very limited this season (1 game + some highlights).

Catton and Demidov might end up very great 5-7 picks.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Will cautiously point out that 43% of Lindstrom's points have come on da PP and he is playing with a future 1st overall pick on said PP.

He's a nice player and will go high but let's be objective in our analysis. I remember a lot of people on here expressing concern with guys who were running in the mid-high 30s. Now we love da PP

It's impossible to watch KHL games

Negative ghostrider, I've been watching KHL games for the past 2 seasons.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Will cautiously point out that 43% of Lindstrom's points have come on da PP and he is playing with a future 1st overall pick on said PP.
40% of Catton pts came on the PP as well. I love both players, but I feel the Habs need to keep getting bigger, stronger and harder to face.. Its not like Lindstrom lacked skills or IQ.

I cant stand the Habs getting steamrolled by bigger teams anymore.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He's a nice player and will go high but let's be objective in our analysis. I remember a lot of people on here expressing concern with guys who were running in the mid-high 30s. Now we love da PP

I havent really done extensive evaluation yet but I don't see an egregious difference between Lindstrom and the two other big guy projects from 22 and 23 (Geekie and Musty.) He does look more composed overall and boasts a better package but 2nd overall? Jeezlouiz.
KHL is very watchable.
I think he meant for pro teams scouting, it was the main excuse to not draft Michkov paraded by WTK.
40% of Catton pts came on the PP as well. I love both players, but I feel the Habs need to keep getting bigger. Its not like Lindstrom lacked skills or IQ.

I cant stand the Habs getting steamrolled by bigger teams anymore.
The Habs gets steamrolled by better teams, not bigger.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think after witnessing the development and impact of Byfield, Lindstrom goes 3 OA who some view as a better prospect than Byfield.

Byfield was much more hyped than Lindstrom and had far more believing in him at this point in his development.

The question remains, just how high is Lindstrom's skill level. I am not convinced yet.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Byfield was much more hyped than Lindstrom and had far more believing in him at this point in his development.
Right, but he was trash in his own zone and wasnt as good of a skater while Lindstrom is already supporting his teammates in all 3 zones with alot of maturity, he is already a solid 200 ft. player while Byfield had more flaws to his game.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Kind of sounds like Michael Rasmussen in his draft year. He gad a ridiculous amount of his points on the pp, but I don't think he played with a high pick, can't remember.

Saw your post in the Matt Savoie thread, so welcome back and hope what came up turned out well.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
We have a ton of size in the lineup and the pool. We need elite skill.
We need skill, I agree, but we also need size. Our best prospects on the offensive side aren’t what you call ‘big’.

I’d say we need to:
1- come out of this next draft with an elite forward that also is a possession monster. Aside from Dach, and perhaps Slaf is he hits, we really don’t have that type of player in our system. Roy is close though. If the player also happens to have size then it’s a bonus. Hence why last year I really really wanted Leo Carlson after Bedard. Leo is the exact player archetype we are missing

2- goal scorer. Clearly the team lacks finish. If Caufield isn’t scoring no one is. I would try to blend the scoring with another feature (size, speed etc). Ideally the player would contribute defensively as well. Caufield is great but needs to play with teammates that cover for his defensive shortcomings (that’s why Dach worked so well with Caufield and Suzuki)

3- size. But off course the players also need to understand how to play hockey. We don’t want McCarron types. We want knies etc type of players.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
We need skill, I agree, but we also need size. Our best prospects on the offensive side aren’t what you call ‘big’.

I’d say we need to:
1- come out of this next draft with an elite forward that also is a possession monster. Aside from Dach, and perhaps Slaf is he hits, we really don’t have that type of player in our system. Roy is close though. If the player also happens to have size then it’s a bonus. Hence why last year I really really wanted Leo Carlson after Bedard. Leo is the exact player archetype we are missing

2- goal scorer. Clearly the team lacks finish. If Caufield isn’t scoring no one is. I would try to blend the scoring with another feature (size, speed etc). Ideally the player would contribute defensively as well. Caufield is great but needs to play with teammates that cover for his defensive shortcomings (that’s why Dach worked so well with Caufield and Suzuki)

3- size. But off course the players also need to understand how to play hockey. We don’t want McCarron types. We want knies etc type of players.

We need dynamic elite skills, first no matter the height.

Guys like Knies are complimentary players. If for some reason we can’t draft the top forwards, i wouldn’t be mad with Lindstrom/MBN either but what we miss is an elite offensive player who could score 90 + points.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
We need dynamic elite skills, first no matter the height.

Guys like Knies are complimentary players.
Yes we agree. Point 1 says elite forward. Don’t think you become elite without skills. What I am arguing is that ideally that elite forward is also a possession type of player (see marner for example)

Reactions: SlafySZN

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yes we agree. Point 1 says elite forward. Don’t think you become elite without skills. What I am arguing is that ideally that elite forward is also a possession type of player (see marner for example)
Which fowards have elite level potential in this draft? Celebrini and Demidov are likely the only ones who have the potential to be that. Demidov isnt coming without risks though, he is basically in the same situation as Michkov last year. Then you have Eiserman who is a goalscoring machine, but comes with some flaws, at this point at least. Then comes guys like Catton, Lindstrom who project as solid offensive contributors, but not really elite ones. more like 70- 80 pts potential.

So if we cant get 1st OV to grab Celebrini and that Demidov isnt a viable option, it comes down to a 2nd tier of prospects with different packages, personally I prefer Lindstrom's one, kid is a power center with a great puck possession game and ton of potential growth.

If you want a big, fast natural goalscorer, find a way to get another top 10-15 pick and pray that Hemming doesnt have a great WJC. Otherwise Greentree might be another option, but I will need more viewings. I dont think you can get that big talented goalscorer in the 2nd half of the 1st round, but you can possibly get a Knies type of player with a late first, early 2nd, only speculating at this point though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaynki and Frank JT

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Which fowards have elite level potential in this draft? Celebrini and Demidov are likely the only ones who have the potential to be that. Demidov isnt coming without risks though, he is basically in the same situation as Michkov last year. Then you have Eiserman who is a goalscorer machine, but comes with some flaws, at this point at least. Then comes guys like Catton, Lindstrom who project as solid offensive contributors, but not really elite ones. more like 70- 80 pts potential.

So if we cant get 1st OV to grab Celebrini and that Demidov isnt a viable option, it comes down to a 2nd tier of prospects with different packages, personally I prefer Lindstrom's one, kid is a power center with a great puck possession game and ton of potential growth.

If you want a big, fast natural goalscorer, find a way to get another top 10-15 pick and pray that Hemming doesnt have a great WJC. Otherwise Greentree might be another option, but I will need more viewings. I dont think you can get that big talented goalscorer in the 2nd half of the draft, but you can possibly get a Knies type of player with a late first, early 2nd, only speculating at this point though.
What type of players are celibrini and Demidov stylistically ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad