HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
My main concern is Lindstrom is going to take a lot of time.. like Slafkovsky will.

Having this board sit through the development of two big men and crying about wasted top ten picks and Bobrov would be enough to make me ignore every thread on this board.
Well its not really the same situation, I know what you mean, but Slaf was a 1st OV playing overseas in a men league, so sending him back to TPS wasnt really an option, it was either AHL or NHL to spend his D+1 season.

If we ended up picking Lindstrom, you wont hear anyone crying about his stats since he will likely rule the CHL for the next 2 years. Would join Laval or MTL in his D+3, what would let him more time to develop without all the drama going on with Slaf.

Reactions: Nevins

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Be cool to land Lindstrom and Roger McQueen b2b years. Think I prefer McQueen purely on the skating basis. But Lindstrom is admittedly more competitive

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Not sure how you could possibly miss how explosive he is?

The skating is great, the question is IQ.....there could also be a lot of Eller, Ylonen, Patrick Poulin in him as his vision and decision making is questionable from what I have seen from him but I need a larger sample. I have not as of yet seen enough actual offensive talent outside of his footwork to confidently pick him as high as EP is suggesting. He could very well just be another in a long history of guys who look great on the rush but don't ultimately produce.

I am not saying that they are necessarily wrong about him, just that they are currently overhyping him imo. The kid has a huge size/speed advantage and we have seen how this often plays out when there just isn't much evidence of upper tier puck skills and IQ.

Disagree there. His hands are very high end as well. Always in control even at high speeds, even through contact.

Couldn't care less about flash or 1-on-1 dangles. Those are the first things to get the axe at the NHL level.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Disagree there. His hands are very high end as well. Always in control even at high speeds, even through contact.

Couldn't care less about flash or 1-on-1 dangles. Those are the first things to get the axe at the NHL level.

That just is not true as it is high end puck skill and IQ that separate the Ellers from the Malkins. Big guys that can skate are common in the bottom six of most teams and you don't draft players without high end puck skills in the top 5.

His hands may prove to be better than I have witnessed as well as his IQ but from my limited viewings he has not impressed me with his vision or with his hands. I am not saying he has stone hands just that they do not appear to be anything special. He looks a lot more like a player living off of his size/skating tools and that rarely translates to offensive production in the NHL.

He may very well be a future star and I may change my mind as I watch more of him but what I have seen so far is mostly a high floor prospect.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
It's ok, if we get Celebrini you're forgiven. McCagg is not.
Wayyy too early to draw any kind of conclusions. Cooley and Mintyukov performing better early on doesnt mean they are going to end up as the top foward and defenseman in their draft class. Scouting is all about long term projections, thats what kind of impact those kids will have in their prime. Thats all what matters.

If Slaf becomes a 60 pts player in his prime, then Ill deserve to lose credibility since Ive been expecting a PPG player with special power tools. If he becomes what Ive seen in him, his value will be greater than an undersized center like Cooley who isnt great on 200 ft. and rather easy to countain 1 on 1.

Reactions: morhilane

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Well its not really the same situation, I know what you mean, but Slaf was a 1st OV playing overseas in a men league, so sending him back to TPS wasnt really an option, it was either AHL or NHL to spend his D+1 season.

If we ended up picking Lindstrom
, you wont hear anyone crying about his stats since he will likely rule the CHL for the next 2 years. Would join Laval or MTL in his D+3, what would let him more time to develop without all the drama going on with Slaf.
Well he fits the profile of euro bust magnet that this org has been incapable of resisting the last 20 years.
Wayyy too early to draw any kind of conclusions. Cooley and Mintyukov performing better early on doesnt mean they are going to end up as the top foward and defenseman in their draft class. Scouting is all about long term projections, thats what kind of impact those kids will have in their prime. Thats all what matters.

If Slaf becomes a 60 pts player in his prime, then Ill deserve to lose credibility since Ive been expecting a PPG player with special power tools. If he becomes what Ive seen in him, his value will be greater than an undersized center like Cooley who isnt great on 200 ft. and rather easy to countain 1 on 1.
Bro ,no idea what you saw but let's start with him stay in nhl and score 20 pts first :laugh:

Reactions: Anardil

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
That just is not true as it is high end puck skill and IQ that separate the Ellers from the Malkins. Big guys that can skate are common in the bottom six of most teams and you don't draft players without high end puck skills in the top 5.

His hands may prove to be better than I have witnessed as well as his IQ but from my limited viewings he has not impressed me with his vision or with his hands. I am not saying he has stone hands just that they do not appear to be anything special. He looks a lot more like a player living off of his size/skating tools and that rarely translates to offensive production in the NHL.

He may very well be a future star and I may change my mind as I watch more of him but what I have seen so far is mostly a high floor prospect.

When it comes to stickhandling, at the NHL level less is more.
How often are defensemen getting beat through the legs or under the stick in the NHL?
How often are their ankles getting broken like you see every second shift in Junior?
There are a handful of players in the league who do this stuff with any regularity against NHL defensemen, and you just named one of them, a generational player in Malkin.

Suzuki doesn't, and he has probably top 10 hands in the league.
Galchenyuk is another who you would probably have defined as having elite hands as a prospect, but what does that amount to in the NHL when his feet aren't moving and defensemen aren't complete pylons?
Slaf has better dangles than Lindstom, but always looks like he's on the verge of losing control. That's not effective either. It takes him an extra half second to corral a loose puck, or move from a stickhandling/passing to shooting motion, which is resulting in him not being able to execute high level plays at the NHL level and getting his shots blocked.

Far more important than flash, is puck control and security. The puck is glued to Lindstom's stick. Whether he's accelerating, changing directions, fighting off a check, spinning off the wall, transitioning into a shooting motion, etc. That's 90% of what high level hands look like in the NHL.

On the topic of hockey sense, while I tend to value IQ above all - which is typically reflected in my rankings - there's a need to admit that some players aren't required to play by the same rules as others.
I wouldn't classify MacKinnon, Barzal, Cozens, Tage, or Kyle Connor as particularly intelligent players, they just have game warping tools. Eller never did.
It remains to be seen if Lindstrom falls in that category, and correctly evaluate his IQ for that matter. We'll see how he progresses throughout the season.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
When it comes to stickhandling, at the NHL level less is more.
How often are defensemen getting beat through the legs or under the stick in the NHL?
How often are their ankles getting broken like you see every second shift in Junior?
There are a handful of players in the league who do this stuff with any regularity against NHL defensemen, and you just named one of them, a generational player in Malkin.

Suzuki doesn't, and he has probably top 10 hands in the league.
Galchenyuk is another who you would probably have defined as having elite hands as a prospect, but what does that amount to in the NHL when his feet aren't moving and defensemen aren't complete pylons?
Slaf has better dangles than Lindstom, but always looks like he's on the verge of losing control. That's not effective either. It takes him an extra half second to corral a loose puck, or move from a stickhandling/passing to shooting motion, which is resulting in him not being able to execute high level plays at the NHL level and getting his shots blocked.

Far more important than flash, is puck control and security. The puck is glued to Lindstom's stick. Whether he's accelerating, changing directions, fighting off a check, spinning off the wall, transitioning into a shooting motion, etc. That's 90% of what high level hands look like in the NHL.

On the topic of hockey sense, while I tend to value IQ above all - which is typically reflected in my rankings - there's a need to admit that some players aren't required to play by the same rules as others.
I wouldn't classify MacKinnon, Barzal, Cozens, Tage, or Kyle Connor as particularly intelligent players, they just have game warping tools. Eller never did.
It remains to be seen if Lindstrom falls in that category, and correctly evaluate his IQ for that matter. We'll see how he progresses throughout the season.

Suzuki has good hands but nowhere near top 10 in the league.

Elite hands are used to break down opposing defenders and also to keep them honest and afraid to reach.You are over simplifying things and entirely oblivious to the puck skill gap that separates stars from journeyman.

Lars Eller is also great at controlling the puck while coming off of the boards and off of checks but nobody with an ounce of credibility is going to claim that his hands are elite or even high end.

Mackinnon and Connor absolutely have very high hockey IQ's as do all of the others you mentioned to varying degrees.

You absolutely can not be a top scorer without hockey IQ. There are endless names who could skate like the wind and had good hands but could not put up numbers.

I can't stand players who over handle the puck and lose it at an unacceptable rate and this is where I believe that your conflation on this matter begins. All elite scorers have the ability to break down defenders with high end/elite hands and it is this in combination with IQ that dictates their success rate.

Reactions: Riggins

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
2025 draft looks stacked.

Hagens
Mooney
Hensler
Frondell
Ryabkin
Misa

I’m worried they try to compete after this year. Would look at moving out Suzuki and Matheson and really bottom out next year.

• Love
Reactions: Nedved

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Celebrini or Eiserman or bust.
Eiserman has been very disappointing in my last 2 viewings, his game without the puck stunk.

On the other side, Lindstrom is having another strong showing.

My radar is pointing toward Celebrini or Lindstrom at this point.

Hopefully WTK doesnt have a heart attack. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eiserman has been very desappointing in my last 2 viewings, his game without the puck stunk.

I won't, I fear for the board. I like Lindstrom though I wouldn't take him as my first four forwards rn

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Eiserman has been very disappointing in my last 2 viewings, his game without the puck stunk.

Yea, let's continue drafting forwards without PPG potential with our high first round picks...

This is KK, Slaf situation all over again.

I don't care Eiserman doesn't pass the eye test for some people. He scores goals at an elite pace.
Caufield would not pass the eye test on a lot of games either but we still love him.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Do we have a solid scouting team?

I'm pretty meh about the last couple drafts considering the number of picks we had.

Reactions: Anardil

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Lindstrom strikes me as a roll of the dice pick in the teens if you've already secured the key pieces to the rebuild. He might be Chad Kilger.

Catton has IQ for days. Playmaking, shot, big game play at the Hlinka. If they passed on him for Lindstrom then they are fixated on size.

Lindstrom is gonna be awesome and the ceiling could be very high. I feel like many team will be salivating at a 6’5 center who can score and pass, though. Just think of Dach, Byfield, they went top 3.

But yes, Catton before Lindstrom for sure no question.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I'm pretty meh about the last couple drafts considering the number of picks we had.

The 1st rounds are certainly up for debate but Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Fowler, Xhekaj, Konyushkov, Volokhin, Miller, Eriksson, Davidson is a very impressive 2 year haul outside of the 1st round. That is not including 3 years back where we grabbed Mailloux in the 1st and stole Roy in the 5th while also taking Kapanen, Kidney and Trudeau.

The Slaf, Reinbacher and Mesar picks are up for debate relative to their draft position but are still very good prospects who could be great.

This scouting department is killing it for the most part even if they seem to be a little conservative with some of their 1st rounders.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
BrandseggNygard not really tearing it up in Swe1 league. I remember Pettersson had great Swe1 season his draft year. Plus BrandseggNygard is late birthday

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014

I also haves the same question about our scouting team, precisely for our first rounds picks.
Slafkovky was questionnable (Cooley, Wright, or a trade down for a good RHD (Nemec, Jiricek).
Mesar instead of Kulich or Howard.
Reinbacher was a ok pick, but we could have Michkov (or trade down + assets). I don't see Reinbacher being a offensive dynamo.
Well see, but I have my concerns with this scouting team.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
The 1st rounds are certainly up for debate but Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Fowler, Xhekaj, Konyushkov, Volokhin, Miller, Eriksson, Davidson is a very impressive 2 year haul outside of the 1st round. That is not including 3 years back where we grabbed Mailloux in the 1st and stole Roy in the 5th while also taking Kapanen, Kidney and Trudeau.

The Slaf, Reinbacher and Mesar picks are up for debate relative to their draft position but are still very good prospects who could be great.

This scouting department is killing it for the most part even if they seem to be a little conservative with some of their 1st rounders.
It feels like that our scouting team is just really bad at picking high-end forwards, but are really good at drafting defensemen and high-value picks later in the rounds (who then have a chance of becoming good top 9 NHLers).

Obviously still hoping that both Slaf and Mesar hit and that we draft a high-end forward in 2024 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad