• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Emil Hemming can snipe.
2+2 today, 13 pts in 6 games, he is totally killing it in J20. He and Catton were my standouts at the Hlinka. Well, I couldnt watch Sweden and USA, but from Finland, Canada, CZE, they are who stood out the most to me. Hemming is a big skilled winger with deadly shooting skills, has good speed, good hands and plays a hard nosed game. He clearly is an offensive first player, but gets involved on both sides of the puck. I cant compare him to MBN yet since I havent watched him play, but if MBN is as good as this kid or even better, we are going to be in a good spot to add size and skills to our top 6.

I recorded todays game, I will try to do a montage of his highlights when I have time and post it here, likely next week-end.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
2+2 today, 13 pts in 6 games, he is totally killing it in J20. He and Catton were my standouts at the Hlinka. Well, I couldnt watch Sweden and USA, but from Finland, Canada, CZE, they are who stood out the most to me. Hemming is a big skilled winger with deadly shooting skills, has good speed, good hands and plays a hard nosed game. He clearly is an offensive first player, but gets involved on both sides of the puck. I cant compare him to MBN yet since I havent watched him play, but if MBN is as good as this kid or even better, we are going to be in a good spot to add size and skills to our top 6.

I recorded todays game, I will try to do a montage of his highlights when I have time and post it here, likely next week-end.

If you didn't catch Connelly at the Hlinka:

Kid can fly. Like Stutzle/Kyle Connor level skater.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
From what I've seen of him so far, I like his game better than Dvorsky's. More physical without the puck and his offensive package seems more diversified. Will be interesting to see if he can perform against men.

He sure looks like a good candidate for the type of team we're building.
What are his weaknesses, in your opinion?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I don't know about weaknesses, but what I will be looking for going forward is more physical engagement, one on one skills, and his first steps. The only thing that I saw that I didn't like was reaching instead of finishing checks and keeping his feet moving to close the distance.

But WTK said that he's a hard nosed player, so maybe he was just taking it easy...and still ending up with 7 points in 2 games.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
From my limited viewings, I wouldn't say he has weaknesses, really (except having his head down with the puck at times...). Checks pretty much every box without being great. I think he plays a straightforward offensive game, is very aware defensively and physical on the forecheck... there's a lot to like.

However, his skill level is a little blurry to me as of now compared to other top prospects and I hope to get more clarity on that soon. Also, I find it hard to evaluate IQ from j20 games so we'll see about that too.

I envision two main possible scenarios: either his game translates super well without too much flashiness (think Tuch/Landeskog) or he's held back by having lower skill than his top-10-worthy counterparts (think Anderson, Jeannot).

Reactions: Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I don't know about weaknesses, but what I will be looking for going forward is more physical engagement, one on one skills, and his first steps. The only thing that I saw that I didn't like was reaching instead of finishing checks and keeping his feet moving to close the distance.

But WTK said that he's a hard nosed player, so maybe he was just taking it easy...and still ending up with 7 points in 2 games.

From my limited viewings, I wouldn't say he has weaknesses, really (except having his head down with the puck at times...). Checks pretty much every box without being great. I think he plays a straightforward offensive game, is very aware defensively and physical on the forecheck... there's a lot to like.

However, his skill level is a little blurry to me as of now compared to other top prospects and I hope to get more clarity on that soon. Also, I find it hard to evaluate IQ from j20 games so we'll see about that too.

I envision two main possible scenarios: either his game translates super well without too much flashiness (think Tuch/Landeskog) or he's held back by having lower skill than his top-10-worthy counterparts (think Anderson, Jeannot).
So he's productive, fast, relatively big and plays hard? He's ranked ~15 from what I gather but such players are really popular among GMs, I would imagine he rises a lot in rankins. How would you say he compares with Leonard from last draft?

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
So he's productive, fast, relatively big and plays hard? He's ranked ~15 from what I gather but such players are really popular among GMs, I would imagine he rises a lot in rankins. How would you say he compares with Leonard from last draft?
Production hasn't been anything crazy yet though. D-1 in juniors was good, but not as good as recent top-5 picks out of Sweden for instance. This will be the biggest thing I believe as yes, he has the tools, but can he make something out of them against pros?

I think he's more of a true "power-forward" than Leonard (who I thought was a skilled player with some snarl) but I was higher on Leonard on draft day at least. I don't see as much upside for MBN right now. We'll see if he can grow as much throughout the year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Leonard is more explosive, more physical, and has better hands.

Reactions: Toene

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Every time I look at Chicago’s or Arizona’s draft picks I get jealous. The amount of picks they have in the three first rounds over the next two years is just insane.

We could have done the same.. just needed to trade Guhle, Xhekaj, Caufield, Suzuki, Harris, Barron, etc.

Those teams have a lot of draft picks because they traded every good young player they had who wasn't signed long term. So.. Keller.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Habs have 11 picks in 2024 and 11 picks in 2025 now. Counting Flames 1st as part of 2025
Should trade everything to move up. We have waaaaaaaay too many prospects, but mostly average ones. We could have 200 picks next draft, I wouldnt care. I want a superstar, not more middle-6 forwards and second-pairing dmen.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Emil Hemming's highlights from last game, 2+2, #59 white.

Need to monitor his progress over the season, but right now I'm not impressed with his skating, overreliance on 1v1 stickhandling (without feet moving) to create and defensive play. Gives me Galchenyuk / Dal Colle vibes.

He's a late birthday (turned 17 in late June) and should be playing in a men's league though so hopefully all that improves.

Last edited:
Reactions: NekkiChiconey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad