Demidov
Carlsson
Celebrini
Michkov
Smith
Eiserman
Fantilli
Catton
Your list is interesting. After Bedard is very close among all others. I just can't agree with Catton so low. Even if the under 17 season was not so good statistically, in the eye test he is incredible. And I really think he has greater potential at least than Fantilli, Eiserman and Smith.
If I were to list the absolute potential in order I think it would be something like this:

Bedard
Michkov
Celebrini
Catton
Demidov
Carlsson
Smith
Eiserman
Fantilli

Obs.: If Carlsson and especially Demidov end up as centers I can see them eclipse Celebrini-Catton.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Your list is interesting. After Bedard is very close among all others. I just can't agree with Catton so low. Even if the under 17 season was not so good statistically, in the eye test he is incredible. And I really think he has greater potential at least than Fantilli, Eiserman and Smith.
If I were to list the absolute potential in order I think it would be something like this:

Bedard
Michkov
Celebrini
Catton
Demidov
Carlsson
Smith
Eiserman
Fantilli
Now Demidov is way too low :D

Reactions: JotAlan

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Bedard
Michkov
Celebrini
Catton
Demidov
Carlsson
Smith
Eiserman
Fantilli

Obs.: If Carlsson and especially Demidov end up as centers I can see them eclipse Celebrini-Catton.

Carlsson is a center

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Demidov is only signed through 2024-25 I believe, so one year after he's drafted.

I'm pretty convinced the Habs aren't anti-Russian with a high pick, they were just anti-Michkov with 5th overall.

For whatever it is worth, when Arpon was talking to a Habs scout trying to get quotes for his draft articles, the scout told him to go watch Demidov.

There's at least one Demidov fan in the room.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
A forward would sure help if we have a Top 5 pick in this draft, but I have to wonder if Dickinson won’t be in play if Guhle has another season cut down due to injury.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm pretty convinced the Habs aren't anti-Russian with a high pick, they were just anti-Michkov with 5th overall.
Seems like all the poorly-disguised Russian-baiting across hockey media was just hot air. Not the Habs nor other organizations demonstrated a bias aginst Russian players. All the negative energy was coming from bored and incurious media types and certain bottom-feeding individuals who wanted to thrust half-baked ideology into sport.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Now Demidov is way too low :D

I like Demidov alot but he is actually still too high as he has a lot to prove imo. The following are ahead of him as of right now and that may very well change for better or for worse. It is tough for Russians to prove a whole lot while not being able to compete internationally and that isn't fair to the players. It just seems that people on here are a little too certain about Demidov when they have not seen enough of him, especially head to head against his international competition.

Bedard
Carlsson
Celebrini
Fantilli
Michkov

Despite picking 1st and 5th over the last two years it feels like we have been screwed by the hockey Gods with an incredibly weak top of the '22 draft and just missing the cutoff to get Smith this year as that is clearly who Hughes wanted when he was trying to trade up to 4th. Hopefully we either win the lottery or a run on dmen drops a top forward into our lap. Ideally the team takes a huge step forward due to the progression of our young core and we just miss out on the playoffs and win the lottery where we will be all but guaranteed one of the top forwards.......wishful thinking for sure but that is best case scenario imo.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Flyers got f***ed
HasXJuk.png

• Haha
Reactions: ForeverHabs97

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Seems like all the poorly-disguised Russian-baiting across hockey media was just hot air. Not the Habs nor other organizations demonstrated a bias aginst Russian players. All the negative energy was coming from bored and incurious media types and certain bottom-feeding individuals who wanted to thrust half-baked ideology into sport.

What's new or surprising?

Even their own club team recognizes Demidov is better.

He's more 2 way, which means he will get big league opportunities first. It does not mean he's better.

I mean, I'm having a hard time with your argument given Alex Galchenyuk is their first center.

Reactions: ReHabs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He's more 2 way, which means he will get big league opportunities first. It does not mean he's better.

I mean, I'm having a hard time with your argument given Alex Galchenyuk is their first center.

It's Russia, we know more experienced players get the opportunities. Galchenyuk being at first line center doesn't mean anything other than that. They are looking at the two young players in their line-up and recognizing that Demidov is the better option so far in the season and I think they are right.

He's a better skater, he uses his teammates more effectively, his growth has been exponential. Michkov is the better natural finisher, everything else is trending Demidov.

Michkov at 16 and Michkov now, what's different other than he's stronger?

Reactions: Sagikev

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's Russia, we know more experienced players get the opportunities. Galchenyuk being at first line center doesn't mean anything other than that. They are looking at the two young players in their line-up and recognizing that Demidov is the better option so far in the season and I think they are right.

He's a better skater, he uses his teammates more effectively, his growth has been exponential. Michkov is the better natural finisher, everything else is trending Demidov.

Michkov at 16 and Michkov now, what's different other than he's stronger?

He's a better defensive option; that's not a big deal or a big surprise. And it certainly does not project NHL value.

You are so way off on this evaluation in general. I don't say that (ever) about evaluations. Wait a few months, look at Celebrini at BU a bit...don't compare Demidov to Mitchkov too much this is all known-known, no insights there.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He's a better defensive option; that's not a big deal or a big surprise. And it certainly does not project NHL value.

You are so way off on this evaluation in general. I don't say that (ever) about evaluations. Wait a few months, look at Celebrini at BU a bit...don't compare Demidov to Mitchkov too much this is all known-known, no insights there.
What’s so way off with his comment?

If Michkov was so much better than Demidov, the fact that Demidov tries to play in his own zone wouldn’t be the difference on one getting the spot on SKA.

Plus i’ll do a prediction; Demidov will be seen by some people as a potential #1 pick by the end of the season.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
What’s so way off with his comment?

If Michkov was so much better than Demidov, the fact that Demidov tries to play in his own zone wouldn’t be the difference on one getting the spot on SKA.

Plus i’ll do a prediction; Demidov will be seen by some people as a potential #1 pick by the end of the season.

1) Michkov is not in this draft, you have to look at Demidov on his own merit and against his competition.
2) When you have defensive geniuses like Chucky playing 1st line center, yeah it makes a difference. Any team can only play so many 1 way forward and that's all Michkov is, so he's always affected by someone being ahead of him.
3) He's been that for 2+ years. But last year Celebrini took a significant step ahead (while playing injured).

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Chucky would still be a second line forward in the NHL if he could stay clean and focused. He's a less mentally insane Ribeiro. It should not surprise you he's a first liner in the fourth best league.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Chucky would still be a second line forward in the NHL if he could stay clean and focused. He's a less mentally insane Ribeiro. It should not surprise you he's a first liner in the fourth best league.
It doesn't surprise me, you missed my point. My point was that he's a 1 way forward like Mitchkov. And if you use him on the first line, it creates defensive weaknesses for the rest of the lineup. This is why he can't hang in the NHL, not his off-the-ice stuff. Evander Kane is also nearly impossible off the ice, yet every team wants him on the ice because he CAN play 2-way hockey.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It doesn't surprise me, you missed my point. My point was that he's a 1 way forward like Mitchkov. And if you use him on the first line, it creates defensive weaknesses for the rest of the lineup. This is why he can't hang in the NHL, not his off-the-ice stuff. Evander Kane is also nearly impossible off the ice, yet every team wants him on the ice because he CAN play 2-way hockey.
Galchenyuk is not a 1 way forward in the NHL, he's a no way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad