2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Reactions: Pez68

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
In the article it says it was for putting bounty's on an opposing player.
thought the whole org got in trouble for the bounty, these guys getting targeted may go beyond that

You'd have to actually click and read the article to know that, though. Who does that these days? :sarcasm:

:laugh:
Here is what the article says, fyi

The suspensions come out of the conclusion of an OHL investigation into allegations surrounding "inappropriate game-related comments" shared on a Wolves group chat after a game between the Wolves and the Barrie Colts on Jan. 18.

In its statement, the OHL did not specify what the comments were.

The OHL opened an investigation on Feb. 21 after accusations surfaced that the Wolves had placed a bounty on Kashawn Aitcheson, who laid a hard but legal hit on Wolves forward Villeneuve during the Jan. 18 game.

Note: did not specify what the comments were

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
thought the whole org got in trouble for the bounty, these guys getting targeted may go beyond that

Here is what the article says, fyi

Note: did not specify what the comments were
How does one read that, and come to the conclusion that racism is the issue, though?

Everything I read, both in that article, and others, has indicated it was related to a bounty placed on Aitcheson. I can't imagine that these guys, young and immature, or not, posted racist remarks on social media about Aitcheson. It's just a wild leap that isn't substantiated by anything at this point, and is exactly how stupid ass rumors get started.

Literally everything I've read states it was related to a bounty placed on him. And in your own post it even says "inappropriate game-related comments".

Reactions: Pez68

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
The OHL opened an investigation on Feb. 21 after accusations surfaced that the Wolves had placed a bounty on Kashawn Aitcheson, who laid a hard but legal hit on Wolves forward Villeneuve during the Jan. 18 game.
1709773917243.png

Well it was a guess.
Perhaps a good guess.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
View attachment 830785

Perhaps a good guess.

So because the player is black, we automatically jump to the conclusion that these kids are racist? WTF is wrong with this world?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Who the f*** is "we"? Also, please note the word perhaps.

It seems to me no one here really bothered to actually read the article and then look at the kid that was targeted.
The guy who said it, and then you commenting that it's possibly a good guess... but "we" in the context of my post was just saying "people in general".

I read the article, and saw the kid who was targeted because I googled all the players. The article specifically states for a BOUNTY. Why does it have to be race related immediately? No one wants to ever wait for the actual truth or details to come out before jumping to conclusions...

I have no patience for stupid shit like that. Just like with the Kane shit, when we had a ton of posters on here calling Kane a rapist, saying he should be in jail, and out of the league. I'm perfectly fine with waiting until I have the details of something before I make a call accusing people of being racist, or rapists.

These kids f***ed up by placing a bounty on an opposing player. They're being punished for it. That's what we know. Let's just wait and see what details come out before automatically feeding the rumor mill that they were racist. If it does come out that it was race related, then I'll be the first on the board condemning them for it.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I read the article, and looked at the kid who was targeted. The article specifically states for a BOUNTY. Why does it have to be race-related immediately? No one wants to ever wait for the actual truth or details to come out before jumping to conclusions...

I have no patience for stupid shit like that. Just like with the Kane shit, when we had a ton of posters on here calling Kane a rapist, saying he should be in jail, and out of the league. I'm perfectly fine with waiting until I have the details of something before I make a call accusing people of being racist, or rapists.
I think you're conflating two entirely separate things.

My guess, if they just said "yeah guys, let's go mess him up, $50 to anyone who takes a head shot!" they wouldn't be suspended in an individual capacity like this. That's more an organization/coach matter to deal with. As I said it's a "first thought", so perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyways, it's all speculation, we have posters here stating that Connelly has committed "multiple incidents" even though there's no suspension and nothing but speculation. If you want to go to bat for a kid with a 3rd round skillset that was served a 15 game suspension (his teammate 10, and no other players suspended.. hmm) and compare it to Patrick Kane's situation, then have at it.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Larmer83

May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
The guy who said it, and then you commenting that it's possibly a good guess... but "we" in that context was just saying "people in general".

I read the article, and looked at the kid who was targeted. The article specifically states for a BOUNTY. Why does it have to be race-related immediately? No one wants to ever wait for the actual truth or details to come out before jumping to conclusions...

These kids f***ed up by placing a bounty on an opposing player. They're being punished for it. Let's just wait and see what details come out before automatically feeding the rumor mill that they were racist. If it does come out that it was race-related, then I'll be the first on the board condemning them for it.
Please don't put words to my post that I did not type.
per·haps adverb
  1. used to express uncertainty or possibility.
  • used when one does not wish to be too definite or assertive in the expression of an opinion.
    "perhaps he should be more careful when using the word we in a post"

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

My guess, if they just said "yeah guys, let's go mess him up, $50 to anyone who takes a head shot!" they wouldn't be suspended in an individual capacity like this. That's more an organization/coach matter to deal with. As I said it's a "first thought", so perhaps I'm wrong.
is it particularly common for players to place bounties anyway? if the comments were specifically related to placing a bounty i would think that it would be the coach we were talking about.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Please don't put words to my post that I did not type.
per·haps adverb
  1. used to express uncertainty or possibility.
  • used when one does not wish to be too definite or assertive in the expression of an opinion.
    "perhaps he should be more careful when using the word we in a post"
:facepalm:

I'm not sure why you're so butthurt right now. All I did was question why people automatically jump to racism just because one of the players is black, and it had absolutely nothing to do with you in the first place. That's all.

Anyways, it's all speculation, we have posters here stating that Connelly has committed "multiple incidents" even though there's no suspension and nothing but speculation. If you want to go to bat for a kid with a 3rd round skillset that was served a 15 game suspension (his teammate 10, and no other players suspended.. hmm) and compare it to Patrick Kane's situation, then have at it.

I'm not going to bat for anyone. I'm simply saying jumping automatically to racism is kinda silly, when the original story specifically stated why they were being suspended. And all I'm saying... before people start tossing out accusations about something, we wait for details. I'm comparing the principle of the situations, and not the actual incidents. People being thrashed by the court of public opinion before any details emerge.

This country(world even) has gone to a "guilty until proven innocent" concept WAY too much these days. It's the other way around.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Minorities can be involved in situations without the situation being about race. I know this is a strange concept to some people, but it happens.... If there's nothing but the skin color of the player they put a bounty on to suggest it's racist, you probably shouldn't jump to those conclusions. Any other reason to believe it's a racist bounty? Language used? Prior history of racism? Prior incidents? If they're racist, f*** them. But this seems like a leap.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Larmer83

May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
:facepalm:

I'm not sure why you're so butthurt right now. All I did was question why people automatically jump to racism just because one of the players is black, and it had absolutely nothing to do with you in the first place. That's all.
I'm not butthurt. I apologize in advance for the "we" crack that follows

We, in this case, you and I can leave it at that. Or you can comment. Either way, I'd prefer to talk about the draft. My intention was not to take so much space on the article.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not butthurt. I apologize in advance for the "we" crack that follows

We, in this case, you and I can leave it at that. Or you can comment. Either way, I'd prefer to talk about the draft. My intention was not to take so much space on the article.

Fair enough. I wasn't lumping you in with anyone else. I was specifically discussing why one poster just automatically jumps to racism is all. The figurative "we" I was using was just that. Figurative.

Reactions: Larmer83

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This country(world even) has gone to a "guilty until proven innocent" concept WAY too much these days. It's the other way around.
He's already been suspended... Step off the soapbox for a second here. We know he did a bad, maybe it's race, maybe it's not. The OHL didn't specify on the statements and likely never will unless the players themselves decide to say what they did to get themselves suspended.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He's already been suspended... Step off the soapbox for a second here. We know he did a bad, maybe it's race, maybe it's not. The OHL didn't specify on the statements and likely never will unless the players themselves decide to say what they did to get themselves suspended.
I'm not on a soapbox. It was a simple question. Why jump to race just because one of the players was black? Why are people vilified without cause so much nowadays? It's a legitimate gripe with society right now.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I'm not on a soapbox. It was a simple question. Why jump to race just because one of the players was black? Why are people vilified without cause so much nowadays? It's a legitimate gripe with society right now.

I don’t necessarily disagree with people being vilified without proof in society nowadays. That sucks. No argument.

However, hockey has had (and still has) massive issues with inclusion. So that will (right or wrong) lead to speculation.

You think it’s just a coincidence that the kid who was targeted happens to be black? In a sport dominated by white people? Come on…

We’ll probably never find out, but I don’t think it’s hard to connect the dots. And I don’t understand being so outraged over it.

Hockey (especially junior hockey)has earned every bit of that type of speculation.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don’t necessarily disagree with people being vilified without proof in society nowadays. That sucks. No argument.

However, hockey has had (and still has) massive issues with inclusion. So that will (right or wrong) lead to speculation.

You think it’s just a coincidence that the kid who was targeted happens to be black? In a sport dominated by white people? Come on…

We’ll probably never find out, but I don’t think it’s hard to connect the dots. And I don’t understand being so outraged over it.

Hockey (especially junior hockey)has earned every bit of that type of speculation.

I think that the kid who was targeted lit up one of their best players, and it went uncalled, and young kids being how they are, wanted to get him back. I'm not going to just say that if the kid that was targeted was white then these kids wouldn't have done what they did. I'm not going to accuse people of being racist without just cause, and I would think most people can agree on that position. I wouldn't want it done to me, or my kids, or people I know. We don't know either way, so I'm not going to jump to any rash conclusions. That's the type of rumor that can ruin and/or forever alter their lives.

And I'm not outraged over it. I just thought it was a silly conclusion for someone to jump to when the statement from the OHL, and every other written report about it, has said it was related to placing a bounty on his head, and not a single thing has come out to say that it was related to the player's race. From what I've read, it was stuff said in a Wolves team(player) group chat with regards to putting a bounty on him.

You talk about coincidences, but do you honestly believe that not a single person would have come forward by now and stated or leaked that it was racially motivated? This has been an ongoing investigation for weeks.

Last edited:

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I think that the kid who was targeted lit up one of their best players, and it went uncalled, and young kids being how they are, wanted to get him back. I'm not going to just say that if the kid that was targeted was white then these kids wouldn't have done what they did. I'm not going to accuse people of being racist without just cause, and I would think most people can agree on that position. I wouldn't want it done to me, or my kids, or people I know. We don't know either way, so I'm not going to jump to any rash conclusions. That's the type of rumor that can ruin and/or forever alter their lives.

Again, when your sport has been dragged through the mud for bad culture you don’t always get the benefit of the doubt from the general public. Is that fair? Probably not, but that’s an earned reputation.

People are going to connect dots and speculate.

Which admittedly probably isn’t fair.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Notice how a lot of the picks being traded are 2025 draft picks instead of 2024. That's a testament to how GMs feel about this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad