2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Five of the next seven games are against the Yotes, sharks, and Anaheim and will likely determine the final tank standings.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
19 games left :
Kings x 3 = 2 p
Sharks x 2 = 2 pts
Ducks x 2 = 2 pts
Capitals, Coyotes, Flames, Senators. Flyers, Islanders, Stars, Wild, Blues, Preds, Hurricanes and Golden Knights all x 1 = 12 pts

18 points for a total of 55 points at the end of the season.
This could easily drop down to somewhere in the 48 - 52 point range
Last year it was 58 - 59 - 59 - 60 for Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago and San Jose
It's going to be close ... from tankathon the Hawks have 8 games left against tougher competition vs 5 for San Jose. They each have 8 games against easier competition ( though this is arguable considering we're talking about the two worse teams! ) and 3 and 7 for Chicago and San Jose not relegated to tougher or easier so we can assume more equal competition.
The above favours the Hawks slightly so at least we're in the running for the top odds for MC.
The games have to be played but we are at least guaranteed to get pick 3 or 4 with a good chance at #1!

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
If the Blackhawks don't land a top two pick in this draft Davidson needs to be fired for putting this team thru such bullshit they're all mad on the ice.

Seeing your generational talent punching walls because the incompetent GM decided to bring in injury prone players and broken down fourth liners ain't a good look.
A top 2 pick? Any kid between 2 and anywhere from 5 to 8 could end up being the 2nd best player in the draft so your post shows you lack education about who is out there.
AND
His employment in your mind is dependent on the lottery. No matter how “well” a team plans the earliest pick guarantee is 3rd (finish last, bumped twice).

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
After how much teams value RD. if we don’t get celebrini. I take arytom. Big physical RD that can skate. Heard he is a very hard worker as well. Kind of shocked that nobody wanted Tyler j. For a 4th. He can play center. Teams seem to go size at the TDL. Also, I’m on board on using our retention spots straight away. Longer term deals like Murphy in the off-season.. was So many teams manipulating long-term you can use one year retention spots really easily. 5/6th round pick

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
After the trade deadline I just can't see how the Sharks don't finish last place, they where already terrible to begin with and got even worse while the Hawks just stayed terrible.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
After how much teams value RD. if we don’t get celebrini. I take arytom. Big physical RD that can skate. Heard he is a very hard worker as well. Kind of shocked that nobody wanted Tyler j. For a 4th. He can play center. Teams seem to go size at the TDL. Also, I’m on board on using our retention spots straight away. Longer term deals like Murphy in the off-season.. was So many teams manipulating long-term you can use one year retention spots really easily. 5/6th round pick

Im all aboard the Zane Parekh train as far as D prospects. He’s on track for 100 points as a D in the OHL. Legit ‘next Karlsson’ ceiling.

CapitalistInfidel

Jan 7, 2013
I’d still take Cayden Lindstrom if they get the second pick, third pick I’d take Levshinov

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
A lot of people are the next Karlsson. Parekh doesn’t have dynamic skating and he has zero desire to defend.

Neither does Karlsson lol.

In either case, Parekh's "defending" doesn't bother me. Their head coach Lazary makes Parekh play a rover style on that team by design. Hell, Korchinski wasn't very good defensively with Seattle. He's improved leaps and bounds under Davidson and company. What I don't like about Parekh that is giving me pause is his skating. It's solid, but unless he improves it, that will hold him back. His height is another factor. Richardson likes big defenseman in his system. I don't think Parekh is a fit.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

In either case, Parekh's "defending" doesn't bother me. Their head coach Lazary makes Parekh play a rover style on that team by design. Hell, Korchinski wasn't very good defensively with Seattle. He's improved leaps and bounds under Davidson and company. What I don't like about Parekh that is giving me pause is his skating. It's solid, but unless he improves it, that will hold him back. His height is another factor. Richardson likes big defenseman in his system. I don't think Parekh is a fit.

I don't think this organization gives a shit what Richardson likes. They aren't building a team to his "system"(lol). He's likely gone by the time anyone drafted in 2024 sees the big club.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't think this organization gives a shit what Richardson likes. They aren't building a team to his "system"(lol). He's likely gone by the time anyone drafted in 2024 sees the big club.
Kyle Davidson doesn't like small defensemen.

He's never drafted one under 6'3". It's a requirement for him.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Kyle Davidson doesn't like small defensemen.

He's never drafted one under 6'3". It's a requirement for him.
Yep, it's nothing to do with LR if they don't pick Parekh. I think Doneghy did give the caveat that they might consider smaller guys that could run a powerplay but between the size, skating and meh compete level I would be very surprised if the Blackhawks targeted him

Reactions: Giovi

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
Still looking for thoughts on undrafted Minnesota Gopher centre Jaxon Nelson. Big body (6'4") senior. Appears to have reasonable skill set.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Korchinski showed a willingness to defend in WHL. Ive seen Parekh blow the zone before the F3. A lot. Maybe that is what they want but I have a hard time putting my eggs on a guy playing a game like that.

It worked for Makar but he doesn’t hold Makars jock skating wise.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Still looking for thoughts on undrafted Minnesota Gopher centre Jaxon Nelson. Big body (6'4") senior. Appears to have reasonable skill set.
He's a fifth year senior that will turn 24 in several weeks. Any possible development is in the rear view mirror. His foot speed is his biggest issue and that's taking into account his size. He does have decent smarts.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
If we can't get Celebrini, I'm all for Lindstrom. I wouldn't be upset either way but I see our system needing more forward depth than defense at the moment. Even if he tops out as a #2C with 50-60 pts a year, he's 6'4 with some nasty and I'll be happy with that

Reactions: belfour30 and pvr

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This article (take it for it's worth) about Collin Graf didn't have him listed as a Top 20 NCAA Undrafted Free Agent. Handicapping the Collin Graf sweepstakes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But this other article listed him amongst 13 others, including Graf and the other "big" names Top Undrafted College Free Agents For The NHL: Collin Graf Leads List - FloHockey

Based on my own two cents of watching Big Ten Hockey games, but never specifically watching for him, very good college player, big center with good defensive responsibility and plays hard and rarely messes up flow in all three zones. He just doesn't have a ton of offensive upside. He's old, quite old in fact for a prospect, and took a 5th year with COVID eligibility this season. For reference, age wise, he's within less than a week from Andrei Svechnikov, who is already a bit of a veteran with 389 NHL games played (with COVID and injury stuff in there). Nelson also doesn't have much of an offensive upside as he never became the top line center for the Gophers or produced at a huge rate.

I think he probably will get an NHL deal from a team with a shallow prospect pool based on trading away draft capital, but making the NHL will be tough given his age and being undrafted, so he will have to be that much better than the other guys he's competing against in order to get a shot.

One thing to note though is that in some ways his age will work in his factor for his pro hockey future is the AHL Developmental Player rule that dictates that 12/13 skaters per game per team are not experienced professionals. As a soon to be 24 year old with 0 career pro games to date, he'll remain a "developmental" player for a long time and that will likely keep him in the AHL for a while. For instance a team like the Wolves, especially if they remain unaffiliated, will be all over that, which is useful as far as what can come out of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Muffinalt

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
This article (take it for it's worth) about Collin Graf didn't have him listed as a Top 20 NCAA Undrafted Free Agent. Handicapping the Collin Graf sweepstakes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But this other article listed him amongst 13 others, including Graf and the other "big" names Top Undrafted College Free Agents For The NHL: Collin Graf Leads List - FloHockey

Based on my own two cents of watching Big Ten Hockey games, but never specifically watching for him, very good college player, big center with good defensive responsibility and plays hard and rarely messes up flow in all three zones. He just doesn't have a ton of offensive upside. He's old, quite old in fact for a prospect, and took a 5th year with COVID eligibility this season. For reference, age wise, he's within less than a week from Andrei Svechnikov, who is already a bit of a veteran with 389 NHL games played (with COVID and injury stuff in there). Nelson also doesn't have much of an offensive upside as he never became the top line center for the Gophers or produced at a huge rate.

I think he probably will get an NHL deal from a team with a shallow prospect pool based on trading away draft capital, but making the NHL will be tough given his age and being undrafted, so he will have to be that much better than the other guys he's competing against in order to get a shot.

One thing to note though is that in some ways his age will work in his factor for his pro hockey future is the AHL Developmental Player rule that dictates that 12/13 skaters per game per team are not experienced professionals. As a soon to be 24 year old with 0 career pro games to date, he'll remain a "developmental" player for a long time and that will likely keep him in the AHL for a while. For instance a team like the Wolves, especially if they remain unaffiliated, will be all over that, which is useful as far as what can come out of it.
Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad