2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
On 32 thoughts today.. draft experts think this draft isn’t really good after 20 and teams are really comfortable moving their first.. HMMMM. Can’t imagine who said that???

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I heard one of the draft ‘experts’ state that on nhl on Sirius. That the draft isn’t deep. Stuff like that. Which is hard to say as this group probably most affected by all the covid stuff.

Reactions: hockeydoug

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I heard one of the draft ‘experts’ state that on nhl on Sirius. That the draft isn’t deep. Stuff like that. Which is hard to say as this group probably most affected by all the covid stuff.

I mean, all of these kids were impacted by Covid. They all lost a year of development. I don't think this particular class was any more affected than last years, or the year prior.

Reactions: Space umpire

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I still think we'll look back at 23' and 24' drafts and wonder more than most years what all the scouts were thinking outside of the top of each. Covid messed some stuff up.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Celebrini was the only draft eligible they took. You can argue they should have taken more draft eligible WHLers. Think that team could have used Lindstrom and Catton

I don't think more draft-eligible players would have made a difference. The tournament really is a 19-year-old tournament. There's a reason USA won with the majority of their best players being 19. If anything, Canada having to rely as much as they did on Celebrini was an indictment of the age group but it certainly hurts to not have Wright, Bedard, Benson and Fantilli.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Celebrini was the only draft eligible they took. You can argue they should have taken more draft eligible WHLers. Think that team could have used Lindstrom and Catton
Should have taken Jagger Firkus. Probably didn't realize Poitras was hurt.

I don't think more draft-eligible players would have made a difference. The tournament really is a 19-year-old tournament. There's a reason USA won with the majority of their best players being 19. If anything, Canada having to rely as much as they did on Celebrini was an indictment of the age group but it certainly hurts to not have Wright, Bedard, Benson and Fantilli.
True but that's every year, I think as you said, Canada 04s as a whole just aren't that good.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It’s definitely a 19 year olds tournament but USA won gold with some really good 05s who were 18. If the USAs roster was as weak as Canada I think they would have easily taken Hagens and Eiserman.

Canada had a better pool of guys to choose from than who they brought. Firikus is definitely one. I think they could have taken some draft eligibles this year considering how bad some of their 04s were.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'd argue the vast majority of USA's best players were the '05 group not the '04. But that team is an outlier cause usually it is an older tourny (which speaks volumes cause USA will be very strong again next year).

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I'd argue the vast majority of USA's best players were the '05 group not the '04. But that team is an outlier cause usually it is an older tourny (which speaks volumes cause USA will be very strong again next year).

They only had five 05s on the roster. You'd argue that Smith, Perrault, Leonard, Moore and Nelson were better than Nazar, Brindley, Howard, McGroarty, Gauthier and Snuggerurd?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
They only had five 05s on the roster. You'd argue that Smith, Perrault, Leonard, Moore and Nelson were better than Nazar, Brindley, Howard, McGroarty, Gauthier and Snuggerurd?

Buium is also an '05 bday and arguably was their best overall defenseman (unless you want to convince me Hutson and his tire fire defense clearly put USA over the top). And yes, that group was better. Brindley and Nazar were the best forwards for sure but McGroarty did nothing until the final couple games (in fairness to him he was coming back from injury) and Gauthier was very underwhelming the whole tournament. Moore started off as the 13th forward that tourny. By the end of it played himself onto the 1st line and was one of the main reasons that line started to go. And I don't need to explain the Boston line. Smith, Perreault and Leonard were all outstanding. Nelson became a very good shutdown center that tourny as well.

Last edited:

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
I just want to point out that back in the day somebody said Matty Berniers was draft inflated by the media, internet, and message board scouts.

That same somebody, who stood firm in his assessment had to deal with the glazing after an average rookie year by Berniers.

And sure enough.....ol Matty Berniers is the suxor.

As for this coming draft, this is a two player draft. There's two elite talents and if the Hawks don't nab one of them after being the leagues spitoon all year Davidson should be fired.

• Haha
Reactions: HawksDub89

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I just want to point out that back in the day somebody said Matty Berniers was draft inflated by the media, internet, and message board scouts.

That same somebody, who stood firm in his assessment had to deal with the glazing after an average rookie year by Berniers.

As for this coming draft, this is a two player draft. There's two elite talents and if the Hawks don't nab one of them after being the leagues spitoon all year Davidson should be fired.

Besides Celebrini who is your other elite talent?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

You’re a f***ing idiot if you think internet message boards influence who teams pick.
Every team had knowledge of Zegras. The question was can he score like Kane or Yaremchuk? … it’s not Kane.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

Actually, aren’t you the same guy who lied about being a great gamer … also lied about internet followers?
Ok, so you’re a trustworthy source. … NOT

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
You’re a f***ing idiot if you think internet message boards influence who teams pick.
Every team had knowledge of Zegras. The question was can he score like Kane or Yaremchuk? … it’s not Kane.

What does Zegras or Kane have to do with Beniers?

D1626311-F2AB-42B8-9FD4-DFEFD1D9CBAF.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad