2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
A lot of over thinking when it comes to not being able to advance more than twice in a five year period in the draft.

If you finish last and pick first, you didn’t advance. You just picked where you finished.

If you finish second and pick second, you didn’t advance. If you pick first, then you did advance and the Blackhawks could not advance in the draft for the next four years. However, they could still pick first or second overall if that is where they finished.

It does not matter what position you advanced to for it to kick in. Say the Wild finish with the 17th worst record this year and win the first lotto. They would draft 7th since you cannot advance more than 10 spots. They then finish 13th next year and win again. They would pick third and not be able to advance in the draft for the next four years.

Reactions: Pez68 and bwana63

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
There was an article that mentioned that Carolina was looking at Blackwell, Duclair, and barbanov. No clue if it’s true

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Anotgercdraft possibility is that Hawks draft Paul Ludwinksi's line-mate wingers ...Jacob Batragkiaxand Matgrw Soto are on Kingston's first line with Ludwisnski at Center...

Battaglia ranked 56th N.A skater at mid term...highly skilled...great hands.. good 1 on1 moves.. Could be latex2ndvorxearky 3rd round pick ..goodcsize 6'0, 200...

Soto is a fast skater...ticks KD's skatibg box...High motor...latex 2005 birthday(Aug) ...undrafted in 2023cdraft.
Could be 3rdc ounder this time..

Now...obvious chemistry formed on the line.. but Ludwinski will be in Rockford next season if he does notcstick with the Hawks in the show....His 2 wingersxstill will bebi juniors..but nobrish...They coukdxre-form as a 3rdvkibe for Hawks eventually if JF decidesctovdraft the 2 wingers off this line.

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
Battaglia is a possibility for sure, as for draft +1 players who I'd like to see targeted later, Anthony Romani in North Bay has an impressive 42 goals so far this year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Battaglia is a possibility for sure, as for draft +1 players who I'd like to see targeted later, Anthony Romani in North Bay has an impressive 42 goals so far this year.
Leading the OHL in goals and points, 2nd in GPG and 6th in PPG. His production last year was better than a lot of OHL Forwards that were drafted, so anyone know why he wasn't taken a year ago? Skating concerns?

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I don't think this draft is that deep. I'd like to see us use some of those extra 2nd rounders to move up higher with TB's 1st, so we can get Yakemchuk. The emphasis going forward should be drafting as many prospects with high upside over quantity.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Leading the OHL in goals and points, 2nd in GPG and 6th in PPG. His production last year was better than a lot of OHL Forwards that were drafted, so anyone know why he wasn't taken a year ago? Skating concerns?
Wasn't a great skater last year. Kind of soft perimeter guy. But really smart.

He rose up some lists pretty late last year, but wasn't enough to get drafted.

He's now seen as the the top overager out of the OHL for this year's draft.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
I'd like to see the team take a swing at a goalie every year. Not saying that you draft one with a 2nd or 3rd round pick every year, but keep the pipeline filled. Maybe take a chance one of these Russian goalies like Kirill Zarubin, Pavel Moysevich, or Nikita Novosyolov.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We could have had him in any round last year--- but hey..... Marcel Marcel.
You could say that for every team in the League though... a bit of a silly game to play.
I'd like to see the team take a swing at a goalie every year. Not saying that you draft one with a 2nd or 3rd round pick every year, but keep the pipeline filled. Maybe take a chance one of these Russian goalies like Kirill Zarubin, Pavel Moysevich, or Nikita Novosyolov.
That would get crowded. Every 2.5 years probably makes sense. They have an 02 and an 04 goalie that they both took in the 2nd round. Gotta give those guys a chance to win the NHL starting job eventually. Goalie is the most redundant position, if you get your guy you can just have him and $1-$2 million easy to acquire backups indefinitely for as long as you can ride him .

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Good wheels reportedly. May simply be a victim of getting lost in strong draft.
NHL teams hate picking guys that don't take the center of the ice. The same reason Riley Heidt was drafted late

Bold Take: Trevor Connelly is the most skilled player in the draft,

His off-ice issues are a big issue and I have a tough time believing he will overcome them. He get's irritated easily on the ice and I've seen him be lackluster on the back-check countless times. He looks off teammates that he see's are clearly open so he can try to make a highlight play by cutting to the middle of the ice. I hope the Hawks don't draft him because I don't think he is the type of player you win with.

Last edited:

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
Do they also hate guys that lead (or almost) their leagues in scoring at 18???

You could say that for every team in the League though... a bit of a silly game to play.

That would get crowded. Every 2.5 years probably makes sense. They have an 02 and an 04 goalie that they both took in the 2nd round. Gotta give those guys a chance to win the NHL starting job eventually. Goalie is the most redundant position, if you get your guy you can just have him and $1-$2 million easy to acquire backups indefinitely for as long as you can ride him .
Strong rebuttal.

WindsorHawk

Mar 15, 2020
I agree about the goalies tho, at work multi tasking ha.

Especially now being invested w higher picks in in gajan and messo.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
With Svechnikov carted out on a stretcher last night,TB could be in forca fall...maybe drop 5-6 spots in League Standings by finish line?

Maybe we get closer to mod-tess with tgexTB pick?

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
I agree about the goalies tho, at work multi tasking ha.

Especially now being invested w higher picks in in gajan and messo.
The plethora of draft picks the Hawks have makes it possible to use those high picks on whatever position they need. If its a goalie it is not a big deal when you have three 2nds. Although I would like to see big RHD and power forwards this June

Has anyone been following the 5 Nations tournament in Plymouth? Is anyone standing out?

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Getting into the second half and seven picks in the top 70, who ya got?

1-Top 3 pick Celebrini, Levshunov, Lindstrom
1-Greentree, Hemming, Yakemchuk
2-Letourneau, Artamonov
2-Vanacker, Pikkarainen
2-Mustard, Jecho
2-Boilaird, Soini
3-Saarinen, Fischer
3-Ziemer, Traff

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Getting into the second half and seven picks in the top 70, who ya got?

1-Top 3 pick Celebrini, Levshunov, Lindstrom
1-Greentree, Hemming, Yakemchuk
2-Letourneau, Artamonov
2-Vanacker, Pikkarainen
2-Mustard, Jecho
2-Boilaird, Soini
3-Saarinen, Fischer
3-Ziemer, Traff
Celebrini, Catton or Lindstrom. I don't know enough about the Russians playing in Russia and Levshunov scares me top three. If Iginla or Yakemchuk are there at Tampa's pick I'd be thrilled with either.

Reactions: TLEH

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I just ran the Tankathon NJL Draft Simulator ...took 8 attempts before Hawks got the #1...Got the #2on 2 of the 8 attemots..Got the #3 5times out of 8 tries..

So from the dead last finish position it does not look likely we endup with the #1..
Team finishing 2nd last (currently SJ) got #1onlyv1/8 tries..Montreal for sone uncanny reason won 3/8 to draft 1st ..if you can believe it.

So if we finish last and livkeliest draft position is 3rd...and if both our C targets Celebrini and Lindstrom go off the board before pick #3 ;does KD go with the Russian Demidov who projects as a RW in the NHL OR does he add a top RD in Parekh,Yakemchuk or Levshunov?

Whike Hawks could use top grade talent help from any position,Top Centers and Top Rightcshot Dmen are always going to be coveted more than wingers and tgen tgerexakso is thecRussian factor ...Denidov has onlyv1 more year on his contract but Putin has threatened a new Russian law that would keep young Russians at home for several years after they get drafted by the NHL...Not sure what age that might be (23 24? 25?) But in any case if this law is instituted;taking a Russian is a huge risk unless you are willing to wait longer than you really want to to insert an impact player to your NHL team...

Hawks have never been a Russian shop in the NHL...never had a Russian who impacted as a star.. so I just do not KD will take Demidov and the extra risks ..

If draft 3rd or 4th then I think KD grabs Parekh orYakemchuk or Levshunov...I think Parekh and Yakemchuk have higher offensive ceilings...but Levshunov may be NHL ready for insertion faster ...But all of these 3 are of higher ratibgvtgan Rinzel ...so you know you are getting a coveted high pick level RD.

My prefence of the 3 is Parekh then Yakemchuk and Levshunov third...but KD may rank them differently.
Hopefully the hockey gods will bless us better than the Tankathon Draft Sim does and we can avoid the which of the top 3 RD to take debate and be giddy with Celebrini or very glad we got Lindstrom..

1C Bedard
2C Celebrinin or Lindstrom

You are smiling because the 2 top Center pieces are in place.

But if the after lotto draft scenario goes agaibnst us,then the RD in 27/28 could be ;

$9.5
Parekh
Rinzel
Of course $9.5 is not worth $9.5 but as long as Vlasic is hiscd-partner to mitigate scores against ,$9.5 may finally get to be a positivevin +/- as Hawks offense gets better.
But Hawks right side D can actually be a strength not a problem anymore.

But if we got Celebrini or Lindstrom then we still only have Rinzel coming which is not really enough for a best RD solution..

But then in tgatcscenario if we took Alfons Freij the dynamic Swedish LD with ourxTB puck the LD after 2more seasons could look:

Vlasic
Freij
Korchinsk/ EdM

They would need to.movec either KK or EdM to play Right Side 3rd D

Or if KK cannot improve his defending or his offensive production maybe he is 7th D or is traded ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad