2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Even if the Blackhawks have two more nightmare seasons in a row and finish dead last in each of them, you're talking about a 25% shot at each of them. It's 56% that they miss on both. Again, that is with two more years coming in dead last, which nobody wants (and which this year should prove may be harder to achieve than you might think). That's not a reason to pass on a forward who can be a star in this draft if that's how you see Demidov. If they like Levshunov better then so be it but that should be the sole consideration.
That is fair enough to me. I am not saying you should 100% take Levshunov, I am saying he is not some dusty bender constellation prize.

Also, I hear you on the not wanting more bad seasons, but truthfully I think at least one more is inbound no matter who you draft. You can't bank on #1 in 2025, but there are a number promising forwards for next years draft. Ryabkin is close to Demidov in production and a guaranteed center. Martone rode shot gun with McKenna at the u18s, but his performance was still impressive. Spence, Desnoyer, Mooney, and few others are very promising.

I am not sure the hawks will have a high pick in 2026, but it would be neat to see Bedard and the best Canadian prospect since Bedard team up. Viggo Björck could be real special as well, but it is too soon to know for sure

Reactions: HawksDub89

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Demidov is a superstar material

Levshunov is a good top 4 d man material

I don’t understand why there’s even a debate..
Because that's a giant stretch in & no real scouts views.

I would say Buium, Dickinson, and Levshunov all have legit #1 potential, it's Sailyev with offense questions I consider unsure of. But Demidov/Lidstrom have high 1st line play, but I wouldn't even put Celebrini as a superstar material

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland

I would say Buium, Dickinson, and Levshunov all have legit #1 potential, it's Sailyev with offense questions I consider unsure of. But Demidov/Lidstrom have high 1st line play, but I wouldn't even put Celebrini as a superstar material
You think Dickinson goes before Yakemchuk?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Reactions: TheDachKnight

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Yeah, not exactly sure if there’s any validity to it. He is a legitimate hockey YouTube channel but not sure if he has actual sources or not.
I heard this rumor as well. I think Davidson is pushing for Demidov and the scouts are pushing for Levshunov. I'd guess Wirtz really likes Demidov as well because owners love that he is an entertainer

Reactions: TheDachKnight

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Hawksxtake Demidov at #2 then they miss the chance to take any of the top 3 RD ...Lev,Oarekh or Yakemchuk...thecrestvofvtge RDvin this class is not top tier 1st pairorr 2nd pair RD material ..notca top 3 dman..more ax4-5dman at top ceilings ..

So there is tgat to consider...means only get a 4-5 level RD if wextakevonevi 2nd round at very brst projection.

This missed chance to get a higher level RD...if we take Drmidoat #2.

Solve the RD top tier need by witger waiting g for future chances in future drafts...or via free agency or trade..BUt best RD talent you need to draft.

On the otger hand....you can make a casecthat if Stian zsolberg is there at #18,Hawks should take him because he could be legit shutdown LD . A LD side with Vlasic,Sokberg and Edm (as 3LD) woukd be GREAT ..could be set for a decade or more starting 2025/26 ...
Demidov +Solberg woukd be a very goodcfirst 2 selection strategy.

Now then...you have assets to try to trade back up into the first round: use:

. #34and #50... this .probbably only gets us to a 21-24 pick...
L.A..at #21 has no 2nd rounder ..so maybe they bite if KD sees a target still on the board he wants or fears a later forstctarget he wants will not last to #34 ..

.Maybe Leafs at #22would trade down for #34 and Nolan Allan?

Do not know if Allan +#18+#50 could entice a team at#11-#13 to trade their pick if KD sees Yakemchuk still on the board there.

.a final option is to take a bad contract as part of a deal to movevup or back up in Irvington thec2stcroundc..

I am sure KD is exploring otpions..but if none work to getv s Yakemchuk in a move up from #18 then the Denidov choice means we forego a RD chance for a top 2-4dman and iinstead get one at #34 or#50 for at least a 3rd pairing RD candidate to develop...or Maybe Colton Roberts at #50 ?

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I heard this rumor as well. I think Davidson is pushing for Demidov and the scouts are pushing for Levshunov. I'd guess Wirtz really likes Demidov as well because owners love that he is an entertainer
I don’t think it’s necessarily Wirtz. The scouts who watched Lev/Demidov the most obviously will lean towards who they watched.

But Davidson had to watch last year’s iteration of the Blackhawks, a team that had a hard time scoring two goals a game in a high scoring era.

You can draft as much defense as you please, but none of that will matter if you can’t score. That’s probably what would tilt it for him to draft Demidov.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don’t think it’s necessarily Wirtz. The scouts who watched Lev/Demidov the most obviously will lean towards who they watched.

But Davidson had to watch last year’s iteration of the Blackhawks, a team that had a hard time scoring two goals a game in a high scoring era.

You can draft as much defense as you please, but none of that will matter if you can’t score. That’s probably what would tilt it for him to draft Demidov.
If you want scoring, you should be tilting things in Iginla's favor.

• Haha
Reactions: Putt Pirate

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If you want scoring, you should be tilting things in Iginla's favor.
IMG_0077.gif

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

Edmonton winning the cup might help Demidov’s case too. It should not matter but it’s a copycat league.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
He's objectively a better scorer than Demidov.

There's really no way to dispute that claim.
I dispute it by noting there has been no comparison tourney, league, etc. for either of them to perform against each other or teams they each compete against. So you have to trust your scout. And when the Russian scout scoffed at Lev and said pick Dem…..you do it.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

The Hawks were dead last in goals for. You have to significantly improve in that department. The Capitals were fifth-worst this past season and it showed in the playoffs

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I dispute it by noting there has been no comparison tourney, league, etc. for either of them to perform against each other or teams they each compete against. So you have to trust your scout. And when the Russian scout scoffed at Lev and said pick Dem…..you do it.
So what?

It doesn't take a wizard to know that Iginla's shot is at worst the 2nd best in the draft, and he's doing it against vastly superior competition than Demidov.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
That Demidov is bigger than we first thought and maybe still growing means he could end up around 6'1or more and over 2080lbs.. THIS tilts the scales for me over Levshunov(who I am still not sure willbe the best of the top 3 RDcanyway...Right now he may seem more complete 2 way over Oarek and Yakemchuk..but they have higher ceilings.. Those ceilings might not materialize ..butvifvthey do you have imoactful offense..Notcsure that except for his shot ...whicjbis goid but not as goodxas Parekh or Yakemchuk...I Cannot see the far less dynamic style Lev plays as driving offense..more like secondary assists from the point and shots fron thebpiint vs. Carrying pucksvin deeper and producing more because of that which is in favourvofvmore dynamic dmen lije Parekh and Yakemchuk.. Lev is more middling...far less "exciting" to watch..And neither is he the brst defensive dman NOW...Silayev and Solberg are that Now ... already..Lev to.me cones off middling..but whenyou add offense +defense he seems a kind of safe bet inthe middle..Not the best at anything but set of a 1B talebt in everything rather than 1A elite top ten NHL talent on D..
To me thisvorecents him from being a #1dman or #2dman on a teM but more like a safe#3 or#4 in a d-corps top six..and certin floor of 2nd pairing guy.

Look..we have Seth Jones at $9.5 as #1D on the Hawks...paid like he deserves that role..butvin reality Not very goid at little...Mostvto be kind woukdcsay he is no 1A level talent but at best a 1B...others would say he realkyvshould not beca 1st pairing dman..notvid you expect $9.5 m worth of "ekite" top ten at his position of even right zdmen let alone all NHL dmen...consensus..$9.5 is NOT top 20 of NHK dmen..
Lev is Never going to get to top 20 NHL dmen..Maybe he gets to $9.5tyoe rikexas 1D even though he should only be 2nd pairing RD on a contender ..

I also think Lev may already have hit his plateau and will not improve that much from current level ...I think Oarekh and Yakemchuk can improve more defensively and even go higher offensively..
I think they can get to their ceilings but Lev cannot offensively improve that mich unless hecbecomes morexaggresdivevon taking pkay over himself on attack.

So for all thse reasons I think this iscwhy Craig Bitton only ranks hon#8overall..As I would put him only 8-10,I just do notcsee homat #2 that hogh.

So it to me was either Lindstrom or Demidov.

Usually you take a Big strong Centet who can scorevoverxa winger who can score...And ifvyou get physical and nastycedge to go with a Big Scoribg center who fills a 2C role for your team but who could easily bea 1C if you did nit have a talent lije Bedard at 1C already ,OVER a scoring
Winger..because you can get scoring wingers more easily than finding a Big 2wayvCenter who can fill so may roles for you...but must be tge concerns about Lindstoms injury history that puts doubt with risk into the selection decisio...I always had Lindstrom as my #2in this draft ...you get a chancexat a "Prototypical Big 200ft Power Center who can skate,score,win puck battles and board battles and shutdown opps lines ...you usually would choose that hardctobgetvplayer over a scoring wingers...
But somehow the conensuscon this biardvis Not to do thevusual thing.. IF Demidov switches to Center,maybe hevdrivescax2md line and so maybevyou can justify 2 offensive scoribgvlines and keavevthec3C to match-up and defensively stop thevyop linevofvthebopos.

So yes therexarex2 strategies for s topvsix..1 skill center +1 290ft power C , or 2 creative scoribg offensive cebters and use you bottom 2cC's to stifglecthevopps scoribg lines.

I guess tge consensus here is to go forcthe latter IF Demidov switches to Cebter.

But if you see Demidov at RW for Bedard,it is ok but leaves a still unfilled hole at 2C for an emitecsokurion.You do not want to settle on a Dubious Misuak or Ludwknsji who may only be 3C level at best if at all.

So logically unless you fear rhe discount injury with Lindstrom as a worry in case his disc in his back acts up again,,I do notcsee why KD is not tKibg tgex2C solution ..unless he intends to pkay Demidov at Center to dive tge 2bd line..

If the plan is to use him online 1 with Brdard..thatcshoukd help Bedard.. but you still get a 2nd line black hoke!

So I just do not get suchva decision if getting Demidov FOR BEDARD is the plan.

That woukd leave 2 problems for line 1....Demidov is not Hossa.. so Bedard's defebsive flaws still will plague the line..not an ootonal solution there They willnrrd to outscore the defensive issues.orvthey havecto find a Hossa for defense as the other winger for that kine.

And 2nd,tgerevusconly 2 puck...Maybe the "dream" of a Bedard Demidov duo on see line simply does not work..In that caecyoubspit them ...meaning Demidov iscinlyva 2RW unless he can play Center.. If he cannot be good enough defensively to be a 2C in Hawksctopb6,then Hawks havevproblematic holes to fill.. still on both lines and linec2!!!

So realky there are risks taking Demidov that have nothing to do with any "Rusdian factor" ..but ratheron what roke can he brst do forcthe Hawks and does it solve any other holes that coukd have been plugged had they chosen Lindstrom instead.

So if KD's decision j is ONLY Demidov vs.Levshunov,.I vote Denidov..but if the decision is expanded to consider whether a duo of Bedard-Demidov will work or still is a big risk to fail, or if Demidov is a risk because all he coukd be is 2RW should he not click with Bedard,and tgat means KD firgoes a 2C solution there for the taking,then maybe KD should think hard on bypassing Lindstrom in this equation...unless the Hawks medical staff warned hom off due to concerns about another disc injury that Lindstrom MIHHT incurred again.

I do not knowxwhat the Medical staff advised KD on Lindstrom...I would like to know.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wonder if Pat and Charlie are going to have Mike Doneghey on the podcast pre-draft.

Or just a Mike Doneghey interview from Scott Powers.

I always like when he's made available to the media this time of year. He's usually quite candid with his assessment of prospects.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO

I don't really see any of these Dmen as potential #1's, outside a slight chance with Yakemchuk, if he can polish all his flaws. I do think Buium and Dickinson have a better shot of being #2's than Lev, who I think is 50-50 on being a 2 or 3.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
He's objectively a better scorer than Demidov.

There's really no way to dispute that claim.

How do you objectively prove that with players who played in different leagues and never played in any international tournaments together?

Are you talking about goal scoring or offense generation? I'd probably give Iginla the former but not the latter.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
How do you objectively prove that with players who played in different leagues and never played in any international tournaments together?

Are you talking about goal scoring or offense generation? I'd probably give Iginla the former but not the latter.
The quality of competition in the WHL vs the MHL is obvious.

Goal scoring. That's what we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad