Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Seems like alot of teams are not playing their home exhibitions in their own building for example Peterborough is playing 3 of their home games in other venues,while Erie who has 6 exhibition games scheduled and none of them will be at their home rink.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Seems like alot of teams are not playing their home exhibitions in their own building for example Peterborough is playing 3 of their home games in other venues,while Erie who has 6 exhibition games scheduled and none of them will be at their home rink.

When I was on Twitter earlier, I noticed that multiple fan bases were talking about "oh, we actually have one game AT our home rink." Seems like a pattern, whether it's a league idea, the teams talked about it together, or just a really odd coincidence.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not even sure what you mean by this???
It will cost more money to take the team on the " road" and less opportunities for ticket sales.
They probably don't get walk ups to exhibition game so there isn't much revenue to be had. They are technically saving money in the aspect that they don't have to purchase inventory eg hot dogs/popcorn/pizza/nachos/buns, wages for restaurant employees, cooks etc and have very little overhead for 3-4 weeks before the season starts.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
They probably don't get walk ups to exhibition game so there isn't much revenue to be had. They are technically saving money in the aspect that they don't have to purchase inventory eg hot dogs/popcorn/pizza/nachos/buns, wages for restaurant employees, cooks etc and have very little overhead for 3-4 weeks before the season starts.
They don't have anything to do with the concessions. It is out sourced. They do do get a small percentage of the profits from it so they would actually lose that income all be it a small amount. Going on the road would cost more and yes these games have proven popular with the host communities. Seems the league is pushing for this.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
these games have proven popular with the host communities. Seems the league is pushing for this.

I'd have to go in and look (when I have time), but it seems like there are more "special location" sites this season than in the past. (I'll retract this if it's wrong) IF it's the case, it's a good thing for the communities and adds to an already potential big summer with LaSalle and Lakeshore (Stanley Cup potential).

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rent for a small venue is cheaper than WFCU. Even with a small crowd, you need more people to run a game at a 6500 seat arena.
No long bus trips, no hotels, probably use city buses/or cars to get there.Would die-hard Spit fans go..me thinks not. Just saving $$ so they can afford to pay the new coach .

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You'll definitely get some die-hards to both locations, especially if the weather is nice. Last season was cut short, there's been plenty of promise so far this Summer, so fans are going to want to see what the club looks like.

• Haha
Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They don't have anything to do with the concessions. It is out sourced. They do do get a small percentage of the profits from it so they would actually lose that income all be it a small amount. Going on the road would cost more and yes these games have proven popular with the host communities. Seems the league is pushing for this.
Been told team gets 17% of concession sales unless it's been changed.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Personally this is better than those preseason "tournament: gigs they had a for a couple of years in Niagara. Especially with the heavy road game differential to start the season. Longest preseason trip is a 1.5 hour trip. Good to support your affiliate teams locally by bringing games to them. After all the Savages own all 3 so no brainer.

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
I'd have to go in and look (when I have time), but it seems like there are more "special location" sites this season than in the past. (I'll retract this if it's wrong) IF it's the case, it's a good thing for the communities and adds to an already potential big summer with LaSalle and Lakeshore (Stanley Cup potential).
Knights have played at least one exxie per year, in a smaller neighbouring community for several years. Good PR as there are many Knights fans in those towns that come to games in London or watch them on TV. The communities are very appreciative to host them. Great way to expand the fanbase.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I remember cramming into standing room only to see the Spits and Whalers play exhibition games at Adie Knox back in the day, I don't think this is too unusual.

Plus the crazy games at South Windsor Arena!

On another note - good luck to all the draft eligible prospects this weekend! Eager to hear some names called.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Coach to be named the day before the Import Draft. Hopefully he is viewed positively in Hockey circles, so the #3 pick reports.

Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The timing points to Walters as expected. He had to apply to be reinstated so that must be unofficially will be completed by the league since it is the 28th. What about a coach from another team/league who's contract expires July 1st?? Can hope lol

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
if it is indeed walters, whih has been the rumour for 6 months, i would love to hear a media member push to know what it absolutely needed to be him and how having 2 guys on the bench who were suspended by governing bodies last year is a good thing?

its not like newbury and walters are championship level coaches.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
if it is indeed walters, whih has been the rumour for 6 months, i would love to hear a media member push to know what it absolutely needed to be him and how having 2 guys on the bench who were suspended by governing bodies last year is a good thing?

its not like newbury and walters are championship level coaches.
Good luck.
Media won't. Push overs..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad