2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
They want a goalie. Not a fit.

Sucks too cuz Iginla will likely be available too. Unless the Hawks dangle Mrazek (which I doubt they would sign the guy to an extension then trade him. Probably not a good idea in the long run with players and agents) or unless they offer a 1st next year (in my opinion much rather have two 1st next year. Draft looks stronger) then it's highly unlikely.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Sucks too cuz Iginla will likely be available too. Unless the Hawks dangle Mrazek (which I doubt they would sign the guy to an extension then trade him. Probably not a good idea in the long run with players and agents) or unless they offer a 1st next year (in my opinion much rather have two 1st next year. Draft looks stronger) then it's highly unlikely.
If you're getting a top 10 pick in this year's draft, the Leafs 2025 1st is 100% on the table. That's still a playoff team.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
With the 7th, 10th, and 11th picks all in play, I really hope we can pull off a trade up from 18.
We don’t have players to trade, but we can take on brutal contracts with ease. Jersey doesn’t have anyone they need to dump, but I’d absolutely consider taking on Skinner or Korpisalo.

Now if these teams will pay up to do so, that’s another question.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
We don’t have players to trade, but we can take on brutal contracts with ease. Jersey doesn’t have anyone they need to dump, but I’d absolutely consider taking on Skinner or Korpisalo.

I would dangle Phillip Kurashev and see if that garners any interest.

Long term he's only a 3rd liners. We'd be selling high after a Bedard boosted season. Moving into the top 10, you're getting a player that's better than him.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

I disagree that we don’t have players to trade. The question is if teams are willing to trade for some of the young LD in the system or do they just want established NHLers.

Not that I am ready to lose any of them yet but you could see that any of them besides Vlasic are tradable.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I hate the idea of moving Kurashev. I get it that he’s not a star or probably even a top 6 guy, but he would excellent third liner on a cup team.

At some point you gotta keep some of these pieces to build around.

I’d much rather take a bad contract to move up.

Reactions: Giovi

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Our most valuable piece to trade to a contender is probably Dickinson. He’s a guy you can win with. Proof of concept as a Defensive stud third liner last year. That is a high need around the league.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I would sell high on Kurashev in an absolute heartbeat if he and something got you to 7, 10, or 11. When Kurashev puts up 50-60 points again (or more if Bedard stays healthy the entire season), he is going to demand 6+ million next Summer and if you don't give it to him, an arbitrator will. Kurashev is a nice player, but if you start paying 3rd liners (and that's probably what he is on a good/playoff level team) like 2nd liners, you are destined to fail. I also agree that with Vlasic's breakout, we are probably well positioned to move a LHD prospect with several fairly close to NHL ready the trick is hanging on to (what will end up) the best of EDM, Allan, Kaiser, & Phillips and move a couple before they rot on the vine and turn into Mitchell (sorry Musto). Hell, Korchinski would be on the table in the right deal....it would take something exceptional....but I would at least consider it. Dickinson, Murphy, and Mrazek half retained have some value as a piece. Donato is a decent value on his deal and could help most 4th lines.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I wonder if there would be any interest in Taylor hall
my guess is we could keep him to closer to the trade deadline, and if we opt to not extend we trade him at 50% probably get you at least 1 2nd rounder. what do you think the cost for laine. When you factor salary and health played 50 some games over 2 years and then 18 last year with 9 points. you would think not much. imo he would make more sense then marner. has some size and is under contract one more season. What about Kaiser for laine?

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Laine was /is 1 dimension and been injured constantly and if that isn't enough, last season he had mental problems.

I wouldn't take him for free and never would give an assets for him.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I don't want Laine either.

He's a hell of a goal scorer when he wants to be but he can't seem to stay on the ice for one reason or another. He's not the type of player I would commit to for 7-8 years at a super high cap hit.

I haven't seen anyone vouch for drafting Cole Eiserman either with the 2nd pick or trading up to 12 if he slips that far. Why would you trade for the same type of player who only gives you 50 games a year and makes 8.7?

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I hate the idea of moving Kurashev. I get it that he’s not a star or probably even a top 6 guy, but he would excellent third liner on a cup team.

At some point you gotta keep some of these pieces to build around.

I’d much rather take a bad contract to move up.
I feel like Kurashev has no value unless stapled to Bedard. He did nothing while Bedard was hurt. Unless the team acquring has a C as special as CB, then he's barely an NHLer imo.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Stay clear of Laine. I do like Ehlers though....nice wheels and goal scoring.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Barely an NHLer? You’re entitled to your opinion, but that’s a terrible one lol.
His career high in points was 24 before Bedard's arrival and he doesn't play a bottom 6 game. He's an AHL/NHL tweener if not playing with Bedard imo.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
His career high in points was 24 before Bedard's arrival and he doesn't play a bottom 6 game. He's an AHL/NHL tweener if not playing with Bedard imo.
In fairness, he was in his 21, 22, & 23 year old seasons prior to Bedard so some of those were rookie/young player on terrible teams growing pains. I still circle back to the question of what does he cost next Summer and is he even remotely worth what that will be? If he pops 50, 60, 70 points this season, he is abitration eligible. Will he be getting 6 or 7 per? If you have a good offer, especially a package that moves you up in the draft, I am all over it as a sell high before you have to make a cap relative to real value choice you don;t want to be making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad