2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hockey is dying in Canada. Maybe a slow death, but it won't be the same. In my current small city (50k), there is one house league team per age group, 1 B travel team, and 1 A team.

When I was a kid in a small town (6k), we had 6-8 house league teams per age group, a travel B team, and a travel A team.

I wouldn't say it's a sport for the rich, I mean you have to have some money, but I can afford it and I'm not rich. My kids just choose not to play.
You can afford it because you're a diehard and you prioritize it. If you're not born into the game like you and me it's a massive gap to bridge. I pay $100 to play softball for two months once a week. What would that entry level cost be to play eight hockey games?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You can afford it because you're a diehard and you prioritize it. If you're not born into the game like you and me it's a massive gap to bridge. I pay $100 to play softball for two months once a week. What would that entry level cost be to play eight hockey games?
Most men's league teams would cost you like $250-500 for anywhere from 10-20 games or so.

Your point stands. Most house league hockey in the US now costs what my parents paid for me to play travel 25+ years ago. House leagues are like $1500-$2500 per season. Plus tournaments. Plus equipment for growing kids. Plus gas, tolls, meals, hotels, etc. And that's usually per kid.

Yes, hockey is a rich person's sport. At the very least, it's a sport for the upper-middle to upper class.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
For my kid, if he were to play, registration is anywhere from $600-$750 for 20ish weeks (2 sessions/week) You can buy used equipment at many stores, but the intital cost of the used equipment is anywhere from $500 - $900. Its house league, so you dont travel far, (50km radius max). So you are looking at 1500-2000 for a year. Thats $125-175/mth. There are also government subsidies in Ontario that give parents who cant afford it money back, up to $500. If you play travel, obviously the costs increase, but if you are good enough you can get a sponsor to help with the costs.

I paid 175$ to play baseball this year, (about 30 games). I pay $10 to play an hour of hockey every week. I never said it was the cheapest, just that you don't necessarily have to be rich to play hockey.

I could afford it if I really wanted them to play, and my wife and I together make less than 100k/yr.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
For my kid, if he were to play, registration is anywhere from $600-$750 for 20ish weeks (2 sessions/week) You can buy used equipment at many stores, but the intital cost of the used equipment is anywhere from $500 - $900. Its house league, so you dont travel far, (50km radius max). So you are looking at 1500-2000 for a year. Thats $125-175/mth. There are also government subsidies in Ontario that give parents who cant afford it money back, up to $500. If you play travel, obviously the costs increase, but if you are good enough you can get a sponsor to help with the costs.

I paid 175$ to play baseball this year, (about 30 games). I pay $10 to play an hour of hockey every week. I never said it was the cheapest, just that you don't necessarily have to be rich to play hockey.

I could afford it if I really wanted them to play, and my wife and I together make less than 100k/yr.
It's roughly 3k to play house league a year. That's going to price out a ton of people who might be interested but aren't extremely talented.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Canada needs to build more housing to ease the cost so we don’t lose hockey players for our next dynasty.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

That for a year? Or just for the main season? The US is pretty similar for house league, anywhere from $1500-$2000, but that's just the main fall season, so like October to March, and that's just the fee for the team for ice, jerseys, etc. Doesn't include any of the other stuff I mentioned in my post above. Spring seasons and/or summer seasons are usually extra, and though not as expensive as the fall season, still probably run $400-$600.

I would say you should figure on at least $2500-$4000 for a full year, including equipment, travel, hotels, gas, meals, tolls, etc.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm not saying Buium won't have a long career.

I just don't see how he's more projectable than Dickinson who's 6'3" 203lbs and skates like the wind. That's a far safer bet to make.
Hockey IQ and effort are the two things that will always play in this league. Physical tools are great. Dickinson is more projectable. I just think Buium has the higher floor.

Reactions: TLEH

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
A more Skilled Hagel on one side and a mean power forward on the other are the ideal linemates for Bedard IMO. If Tij is the former I don't mind that pick at all at 2.
Iginla isn’t really the waterbug type that Hagel is. I think he’s more of the “modern” power forward (even though he’s only 6’0). I see a lot of Matt Boldy in his game

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Most men's league teams would cost you like $250-500 for anywhere from 10-20 games or so.

Your point stands. Most house league hockey in the US now costs what my parents paid for me to play travel 25+ years ago. House leagues are like $1500-$2500 per season. Plus tournaments. Plus equipment for growing kids. Plus gas, tolls, meals, hotels, etc. And that's usually per kid.

Yes, hockey is a rich person's sport. At the very least, it's a sport for the upper-middle to upper class.
Mens league king

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That for a year? Or just for the main season? The US is pretty similar for house league, anywhere from $1500-$2000, but that's just the main fall season, so like October to March, and that's just the fee for the team for ice, jerseys, etc. Doesn't include any of the other stuff I mentioned in my post above. Spring seasons and/or summer seasons are usually extra, and though not as expensive as the fall season, still probably run $400-$600.

I would say you should figure on at least $2500-$4000 for a full year, including equipment, travel, hotels, gas, meals, tolls, etc.
Thats for the main season. I dont see why you would need to play outside of Oct-Mar. Play other sports during the summer.
It's roughly 3k to play house league a year. That's going to price out a ton of people who might be interested but aren't extremely talented.
Well, not here.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Mens league king
You're such a dumbass. :laugh:

Thats for the main season. I dont see why you would need to play outside of Oct-Mar. Play other sports during the summer.

Well, not here.
Most kids I know play year round. Both my nephews always have. I always did too. So did my brother. Spring/summer I played hockey and baseball. A lot of times, especially if you're moving up an age-level, getting on the spring team, getting to know coaches and such, it would give you a leg up for the following season in tryouts and whatnot, and usually you play up to that level in spring, so you're getting a better idea of what you'll be up against. So if I were a 2nd year peewee and moving to bantam in fall, I'd be playing bantam in spring. Always thought that was helpful.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Most kids I know play year round. Both my nephews always have. I always did too. So did my brother. Spring/summer I played hockey and baseball. A lot of times, especially if you're moving up an age-level, getting on the spring team, getting to know coaches and such, it would give you a leg up for the following season.
I never played hockey in the summer, and neither did any of my friends. You'd start trying out for the travel team in late September, and the season ended in March. Play baseball, or soccer in the summer. Nowadays around here, kids try out for the travel team in spring, but dont play hockey until Sept. Oct.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Sorry for all the edits, haha.

Yeah, I can see at the house league level it's not really necessary, but I only played house league for my first year at like 6 years old, then moved on to travel, so it was beneficial to play spring most years.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sorry for all the edits, haha.

Yeah, I can see at the house league level it's not really necessary, but I only played house league for my first year at like 6 years old, then moved on to travel, so it was beneficial to play spring most years.
Im editing a lot too lol.

I only played house league a couple years as well, but at the end of the year (March) they would take our ice out of our rink, so you didnt even have the option to play ice hockey.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Im editing a lot too lol.

I only played house league a couple years as well, but at the end of the year (March) they would take our ice out of our rink, so you didnt even have the option to play ice hockey.
That's wild. That was up in Canada huh? You had less teams, and less kids playing spring, but rinks never did that by us in Chicago. They were all open the whole year. A club that normally fielded 2-3 teams at each age level may only field one, but there were still leagues and teams running year-round.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's wild. That was up in Canada huh? You had less teams, and less kids playing spring, but rinks never did that by us in Chicago. They were all open the whole year. A club that normally fielded 2-3 teams at each age level may only field one, but there were still leagues and teams running year-round.
I mean, in the big cities they would have rinks that were open, so if you really wanted to play you could travel to London and play in the summer. But yeah, small towns like mine took their rinks out as it was just too expensive to keep the arena open in 90-100deg weather.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I mean, in the big cities they would have rinks that were open, so if you really wanted to play you could travel to London and play in the summer. But yeah, small towns like mine took their rinks out as it was just too expensive to keep the arena open in 90-100deg weather.
That's unexpected for up there. Learn something new every day. My local rinks for all three organizations I played travel at were all open year round, and all were in smallish Chicago suburbs. Never removed ice. One had an outdoor sheet that they thawed out and used for roller hockey leagues, but the indoor ones all stayed open to use.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
So your're from a small town near London? Which one? I was born and raised in London. So St. Thomas, Ilderton, Lucan ... Ingersol maybe? Small world!

I vividly remember as a kid ( and I'm aging myself here ) that Boston had London Gardens as their home areana during pre-season and so I'd go watch the Hawks play the Bruins. Bobby, Stan, Espo and all the gang!

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

My kids are at around $3500 each for travel A in NC. That is just for the program and not including all the extra stuff like gas, hotels, food, equipment, and any extra training.

I started keeping track of it all last year but quit because it was depressing.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My kids are at around $3500 each for travel A in NC. That is just for the program and not including all the extra stuff like gas, hotels, food, equipment, and any extra training.

I started keeping track of it all last year but quit because it was depressing.
Yeah, travel in the Chicago area would be $3500+. And yes, not including all the extras, just the club/league fees and jerseys or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad