2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I read online that Dickinson is in incredible shape as well.

Reminds you of a former Hawk who was also in incredible shape himself.

A fella named Duncan Keith.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Lev feels like he is going to fall somewhere between 5-10 in 3-4 years as the best players in this draft. so just tough getting the 6th best player at #2. and yes if he was a LD he would go 5-10 and not 2-5.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I wonder if Levshunov would be in talks for #2 overall if he was a left shooting D?

I personally don’t see ANY elite skills. I see a dude with a very high floor (a lot of good projectionable skills) & therefore, is a safe pick.
Transition and ability to drive play are elite.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Pavelski went out on his own terms at his age because of the brain. Feel the same way about Buium in terms of being safe.

Being huge and skating like the wind has never guaranteed you of anything. Understand the game at an elite level and the floor is high.

I haven’t seen the OHL near as much as the NCAA or WHL but I never felt like Dickinson was an elite thinker in my views. Not dumb, but not elite.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Pavelski went out on his own terms at his age because of the brain. Feel the same way about Buium in terms of being safe.

Being huge and skating like the wind has never guaranteed you of anything. Understand the game at an elite level and the floor is high.
That's why my boy Strome will be around forever 😍
I haven’t seen the OHL near as much as the NCAA or WHL but I never felt like Dickinson was an elite thinker in my views. Not dumb, but not elite.
That's a fair assessment

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Craig Button said on Sportsnet after the Florida win to go up 2-0 that:

"If you can't win puck battles,you are not winning games"..

Which...party tell of the Hawks surface forwards and prospects can win puck battles?

Adding another undersized "artiste" like Demidov will not achieve the Bitton analysis...maybe entertaining reg. Season..but Mot built for physical NHL playoffs..

On D .. Levshunov has some jam ..but not realky physical as would LD Stian Solberg be ...

Hawks need first round talent butcshoukd becA or A+ in physical pkay to win those puck battles..Yes need to skate...need to score..but need muscle and strength too ..We already drafted smaller artistes and we do not need middling D physicality.. We ned Big Boy kam up front and on D ..

Otherwise as Bitton rightly says.. youvare not goibgvto win when itvcouts most..

Of course you also need goaltending

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

Buium’s not even a below average skater either. He’s average to above average for his size with the best hockey sense in the class. Some of the cuts and stuff he made couldn’t be made by someone who’s a below average skater for his size.

He also plays the game the right way. I don’t think he’s a C, but he’ll be an elite wing.

Reactions: Muffinalt

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
My prediction: With Canada hockey registration numbers cratering, the Drafts in about seven or eight years, once you get to 2013, 2014, etc. births, are really going to fall off, other countries like USA can pick up the slack a bit, but the overall levels will probably be down as Canada won't be feeding in as strong of a future NHL pipeline, which will leave players drafted between the years of 2022-2026, players born between 2004-2008, well poised to dominate the NHL on a relative scale at their extended primes with lesser than usual incoming competition behind them.
In 2022, about two months after Canada celebrated what was then its 18th world junior hockey championship, the CEO of hockey equipment giant Bauer, Ed Kinnaly, declared: “The number of kids getting involved in hockey in Canada is spiraling downward … but nobody’s talking about that.”

At the time, Hockey Canada reported 340,365 youths younger than 18 participating in the sport, a 35% drop from 523,785 just 13 years earlier. That number slightly rebounded in 2023 to 360,031, but is still some 15% below pre-pandemic levels even while soccer and tennis numbers in Canada have already recovered.

This is an ideal time to be loading up on draft capital.

Reactions: statswatcher

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
My prediction: With Canada hockey registration numbers cratering, the Drafts in about seven or eight years, once you get to 2013, 2014, etc. births, are really going to fall off, other countries like USA can pick up the slack a bit, but the overall levels will probably be down as Canada won't be feeding in as strong of a future NHL pipeline, which will leave players drafted between the years of 2022-2026, players born between 2004-2008, well poised to dominate the NHL on a relative scale at their extended primes with lesser than usual incoming competition behind them.

Hockey is a sport for the rich.

razor ray

May 8, 2011

Interesting theory but I think the best athletes in Canada will still gravitate toward hockey. Same with Finland, Sweden, and Russia. Even if they numbers are down...the top athletes are still probably going to pick hockey. Its the sports culture of those countries.

In the USA its about expanding into new markets like what's happening in Seattle, Vegas, and Salt Lake which are also now adding the infrastructure and programs for hockey. Then the hope is having some of the best athletes in those areas gravitate toward the game. I live in Scottsdale and I just saw Matt Knies and AM34 at lunch (both great athletes) yet neither kid would not have picked hockey had we not had the infrastructure in place here. We now have several rinks, programs, and even added ASU as a D1 college program. 20 years ago much of this did not exist. I think the United States has a high ceiling to grow more and it would be great to add Atlanta and one other city (hopefully Arizona) to the NHL. To a lesser extent some of the AHL and ECHL markets are doing well growing the game and the majority of those teams are in USA and adding new markets. Now its just a matter of the top athletes picking hockey over all the other sports options for the talent pool to grow.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hockey is dying in Canada. Maybe a slow death, but it won't be the same. In my current small city (50k), there is one house league team per age group, 1 B travel team, and 1 A team.

When I was a kid in a small town (6k), we had 6-8 house league teams per age group, a travel B team, and a travel A team.

I wouldn't say it's a sport for the rich, I mean you have to have some money, but I can afford it and I'm not rich. My kids just choose not to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad