2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
I think Hawks can take Demidov, get a 2nd super skilled guy along Bedard, continue to take swings at big forwards with later picks and hope one of those eventually hits.

You can´t have all in one pick. That is why they have multiple picks in first rounds (16 in rounds 1-3 in next three years). Number two pick this year doesn´t solve everything so you take the best player available. Whoever they think he is and go on from there. Not every pick will pan out but hopefully few do. It doesn´t matter if it´s first or third round pick. Most likely top picks have best odds to do so. That is why this pick is important but it doesn´t solve or dictate everything

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I think Hawks can take Demidov, get a 2nd super skilled guy along Bedard, continue to take swings at big forwards with later picks and hope one of those eventually hits. Only thing that scares me on passing up Levshunov is there's a lot of pressure on Rinzel to hit. But it is what it is. There is also the '25 Draft where you hope you can get a RD or Big Forward with what should be a high pick.
I think people are sleeping on Rinzel here a bit. He has the potential to be the best defenseman of the bunch that we have currently coming up or with the Hawks. Plays with some aggression and physicality, and has upper end offensive potential. Needs two more years.

Vlasic - Rinzel
Korchinski - RD defensive minded

Now if we somehow get Yakemchuk, he slots first pair and Rinzel slides down.

Bedard - big aggressive 200 ft winger.
Demidov - big aggressive center.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I wouldn’t say I sleep on Rinzel so much as manage expectations a bit. Like Lev is a year and a half younger and was just an objectively better RHD in the same conference but people still have all these big concerns about Lev for this or that, which is fine but it’s not like Rinzel doesn’t have his own concerns, as most prospects do. And as of now, he’s like practically the only RHD prospect in the system.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I wouldn’t say I sleep on Rinzel so much as manage expectations a bit. Like Lev is a year and a half younger and was just an objectively better RHD in the same conference but people still have all these big concerns about Lev for this or that, which is fine but it’s not like Rinzel doesn’t have his own concerns, as most prospects do. And as of now, he’s like practically the only RHD prospect in the system.
That seems a bit flippant since I consider "this" to be suspect defensive IQ and "that" to be his persistent activation in the O zone.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Call me crazy but if Eiserman slips past 12 I'd make a serious push to trade up to draft him.

Demidov/Eiserman would be hilarious.
I wouldn't draft him top 10 considering the other choices, but I definitely be interested if slips past 12. He's going to a great college program, so maybe 2 or 3 years of development could polish those flaws.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Call me crazy but if Eiserman slips past 12 I'd make a serious push to trade up to draft him.

Demidov/Eiserman would be hilarious.
Two pretty solid wingers for the future to go along with Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Greene at center

Demidov-Bedard-_________
Eiserman-Nazar-__________
Moore-Greene-___________

Vlasic-________
KK-Rinzel

Commesso
Gajan

Not bad

Reactions: TheDachKnight

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I think Hawks can take Demidov, get a 2nd super skilled guy along Bedard, continue to take swings at big forwards with later picks and hope one of those eventually hits. Only thing that scares me on passing up Levshunov is there's a lot of pressure on Rinzel to hit. But it is what it is. There is also the '25 Draft where you hope you can get a RD or Big Forward with what should be a high pick.
Porter Martone looks like a good one for next year’s draft if we want a skilled forward with size.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone got this feeling we are going to see Davidson reach on Dickinson at #2?

He and Iginla appear to be rising up draft charts/scouting lists the most in recent months

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
Anyone got this feeling we are going to see Davidson reach on Dickinson at #2?

I don´t think it's that much reach at all. Kid can fly, is big, defends well and has size. What not to like about? I bet he is heavily under Hawks scouting departments microscope.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You and me both. If we're going full blown the guys tires I've been pumping for six months it's Iginla. Loved the kid before he was popular.
Iginla is a great selection that's going to work his ass off to validate the choice of taking him that high.

Demidov, if those new measurements come in at 6'1", that really changes things for me. In that case, I hope the discussion comes down to those two. Even though I like Silayev at #2, I think there's more certainty with the forwards. The D pool... I don't envy the people that have to sort them for a living. I just get the feeling if they go Lev or Dickinson, it's just going to wind up the "wrong" choice.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Iginla is a great selection that's going to work his ass off to validate the choice of taking him that high.

Demidov, if those new measurements come in at 6'1", that really changes things for me. In that case, I hope the discussion comes down to those two. Even though I like Silayev at #2, I think there's more certainty with the forwards. The D pool... I don't envy the people that have to sort them for a living. I just get the feeling if they go Lev or Dickinson, it's just going to wind up the "wrong" choice.
Two inches is nothing. Strength and edges are everything if it's backed up by iq.

Reactions: Pez68

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Two inches is nothing. Strength and edges are everything if it's backed up by iq.
Demidov has edges. He's strong on his skates. (not a burner though, but neither really is Iginla)

But 5'11" 168lbs is small.

If the new measurements are more like 6'1" 180lbs, that inspires much more confidence.

Strome is 6'3 and is a total liability along the boards. Andrew Shaw gives up five inches and eats him alive in a board battle.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

But the reality is when you look at the top 6 of playoff teams, they max out at 2 players below 6ft. We have Bedard, Nazar, and Moore already. It's just not a good lineup if they add even more sub 6ft players. We want a team that's built for playoff hockey.

Reactions: pvr

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Demidov has edges. He's strong on his skates. (not a burner though, but neither really is Iginla)

But 5'11" 168lbs is small.

If the new measurements are more like 6'1" 180lbs, that inspires much more confidence.

Yeah I get what you're saying.

But the reality is when you look at the top 6 of playoff teams, they max out at 2 players below 6ft. We have Bedard, Nazar, and Moore already. It's just not a good lineup if they add even more sub 6ft players. We want a team that's built for playoff hockey.

I am unsure if Demidov will be at the combine this weekend in Buffalo. But, it he is they will provide exact measurements of all of the top 100 prospects

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I am unsure if Demidov will be at the combine this weekend in Buffalo. But, it he is they will provide exact measurements of all of the top 100 prospects
He won't be.

But he'll be at the event that Millstein is hosting for Russian prospects. They'll do measurements there.

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
I don´t think it's that much reach at all. Kid can fly, is big, defends well and has size. What not to like about? I bet he is heavily under Hawks scouting departments microscope.
I thought he was outstanding in the Memorial Cup Final yesterday. For my money as good if not better skater than KK and he scored an absolute beautiful goal to tie game late in 3rd.

Reactions: clydesdale line

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I thought he was outstanding in the Memorial Cup Final yesterday. For my money as good if not better skater than KK and he scored an absolute beautiful goal to tie game late in 3rd.

He was damn good. I've long said Dickinson is the best defenseman in this draft. For my money, he will prove that down the road.

Reactions: Wally1112pac

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So let me get this straight:

It is a fate accompli that ONLY Levshunov or Demidov wil lbe KD's choice at #2..

Demidov will be a guaranteed superstar ...maybe BOA of this drFt clas..but nobody says he s "Generationa"...

Concerns about his skating not tickibg KD's boc are ignored or brushed of as nothing to worry about...he is Not a burner.. he does not use hiscoutside edge well so hasxa wider skating stance to compensate which opens him up to easier physical take-outs by playersxatcthecpro level...so this would seem to be a problem for himat higher than a weak MHL...

We arexthusxexoectid to believe that KD will take him despite not ticking what hexoptinakkyxwabtsxin a pkayer.. thecskatibf..

So KD will ignore his vital must have in favourxofvpuckhandlibgcskilk,hockey I.Q. and high compete level even if there are skating flaws and speed issues?

So if on the other hand the skating issues with Demidov are facts JD cannot ignore he will fall back to the "safe" you know what you are getting Levshunov whose cekibgbusxa#1D but at least hevisxa safe certain 2RD and Hawks need more RD for team structure.
At minimum Hawkscget a dman lijelybonlyv1 season away from the lineup and insertion to 2Rzd muchibg big monutescalk situations....thevimoresdion conesvoff good but maybe not great ...but with pitential improvements maybe he can take over 1RD in future moving up from 2RD..

So I think there are questions with both candidates for #2.

Yet we getxakk tgsexcertaitiesxtgesexarexthecoblyv2 KD is considering.. No morectalk of Lindstrom because for sonecreason where there is usually big value coveted Big alk roubd cebters in combo with speed,other,size,physicality andc3cxobe play...in short physical power donibationat Cebter...greatxgoalvscorer with both shotcand in ckisexat themes...ticks so many boxes..and yet somehow this draft the usual covet for a donibatingbphysical prototypical Big Center is just tossed out the window because tge public and some professional rankibgvorgsxare more impressed with ranking Demidovvand Levshunov on whatever order ahead of the usual type coveted who does tick all the boxes and projects to an easy transition to pro hockey at that size speed and skill?

Tge Haws need such a Big Center with his combination of physicality and scoring ....Little Brdardcas a Center still presents problems defendivekyborxwhen handled by bigger NHL pkayers ...

So you would think Hawks need bigger stronger forwards mixed ibtobtopb2 lines ratger than add anotgercshrimo lije Denidiv into the top six forwards...

But Bedard needs more skilk to okay with and Denidiv is suck skilk,right.

Well one cannot haveceverything.

No pkayer does.. Neitger is anyone taking a Geberational Pkayerxat #2.

The fact is...nobody knows for sure which of thse 3 will have the best NHL career..

The we can get Big forward clater argument is ridiculous.. Big impact centers usually do not last past the first few picks.

I would stick with the covet Big Center prize when the opportunity to get one is there...Hawksxwill gavectovwait till a future draft to get onevofvthsexwith this rare combo of physical nasty,3 zone pay,physicakitycand Sizexand pierr,and great shot.
Sure hecneedsxtobwork on more creativity..butciffebaexaside from shot Akso cones from winnibg board battles and net front battles and re-pssesdions/take-aways in the o-zone whoch Lindstron will dominate at...

Fancy puck-handlers (daglers) can be exciting and electrifying...but ifvthey lose batykescto bigger syrongervplayersxat the highest level they will get pushedxaroubdxandxstymied..I woukdcratgercdovtgevpushingcaroubdcforca change.

I just cannot see a tio six having Bedard Denidov Kansterov Lardis Nazarxand No ore =all smaller forwards...no Big Cebter to match and shiydownnopps to linevorcto help smaller wingers by getting them the puck back index clearing more space for the little guys.

Hawksxwoukdchacecthecsmalkest (but skilled top six in the NHK)..woukdctgatxwork?
.I doubtbit.

If Hawks thought Demidovis notvtgecroght fit mduectivtgecsizexandcsjatingbissues then if tgey still want to go forward over d-man with #2,but think Lindstrom isctherec1 prc2vpicks laster then trade doen 1 orc2vspits and let other teams getcDenidiv and Levshunov..

Or trade down Yakemchuk for RD ...may have highercceiking than Levshunov ...

Tgevointbus..mif Denidiv and Levshunov so highly ranked on alk tgse lists,tgen other teansca few soits after #2will pay to mivevup .

What?No team from 3-7 would give sweetener ouckscto movevup ?
.in thatcxase it means Denidov and Kevshunov Realkycare not that great enough in value anyway...

By tgat logic if Hawjs stuck at #2tgey shoukd value Lindstrom ahead of anyonecekse for#2.

BOTHER should at least test tge trade down 1-2spots and still get Lindstrom or down to the Ottawa pick at #7 ...they may covet Lindstrknat #2but tgen you still get Yakemchuk at #7:and pock #25 ..

You coukdcthen package #18 and #25 to NJ for #10..
Y ou woul then take Swnnecke at #10

Thus is how you get yourxsjilk pkayercto pkay with Bedard*butvhecalsobhas size) abd you getvyourx2RDcwoth 1D oitebtial anyway.

My strategies are better than takibg eitger Levshunov or Denidiv at #2..based on dubious BPA rankings which may never pan out as expected..

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad