2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Would be thrilled with either MBN or Solberg, and expect Jiricek. Glad the Hawks moved up to 18.
MBN will be gone imo

Count on the top 15 being chalk in terms of the prospects off the board.

We're not going to like what's available at 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Thoughts on taking Nabokov with either #67 or #72 if he is there?

Add another goalie to pipeline

Nabokov was great in MHL and then walked into KHL and played great there

Would be great value at either of those spots
I’m absolutely in on taking a goalie this year. This pipeline still needs prospects. Commesso will hopefully graduate to a full time player by 2025. At that point, you’d only have Gajan in the wings.

It doesn’t hurt to take a swing on a European prospect. If you wanted some size in net, you could take a look at Pavel Moysevich or Kirill Zarabin. Maybe one of them or both will be available at #138

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
MBN will be gone imo

If 1 of Colbert Conley or Greentree go in the top 17 1 of jirick. Hage. Mbn. Will be there at 18.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
MBN will be gone imo

Nikita Artamonov is a great prospect. I just don't trust the Blackhawks to make the right choice.

So I want them to move up because it becomes a lot harder for them to mess up if they do.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Wow the more I watch of Yakemchuk the more I love him.

He literally embodies so many aspects that I see missing from Korchinski's game. Absolutely lethal and versatile shot. Can beat a goalie clean from distance with a wrist shot in a way I've really only seen from Makar. Heavy one timer. Able to utilize the threat of his shot to find passing seams. He's big and super engaged physically, will stand up for any teammate/get into scrums/box opponents out/facewash/etc. Always trying to get to the middle of the ice.

Stats are there too: 4th in ppg by a draft year dman in the last 25 years, lead the WHL in shots by D by over 40, tied for 5th overall in PIMs. Second on his team for goals and points.

He's a 6'3, heavy, mean RHD, a decent skater AND has the skillset of a 5'11 forward. I know the defense needs work but seems like it's improved over the season and I have a lot faith in a guy with his size/reach, physicality and engagement level to improve in that area to where it's passable like Burns/Buff.

Main concern is that his first step is pretty heavy and might get turnstiled in the NHL. But I think with his athleticism and a good skating coach he'll be ok. Big guys are basically never explosive

I think he's going to be a gamebreaker in the NHL.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Granted I probably hate Murphy more than GM's around the league, but I can't fathom NJ would drop 8 spots in the 1st round for an injury prone bottom pairing d-man.

If, however, you happen to catch NJ's GM in a drunken stupor and he agrees to this trade - do it quickly before he sobers up.
I think it would take more than that.....then the NJ GM would be fired the next day.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I like Chernyshov. I think he can be a great role player.

Artamonov has top 6 upside though.

I just don't see the offensive upside with him. Whereas with Chernyshov I do plus he plays a true power forward game which is exactly what the Hawks need in their system.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Wow the more I watch of Yakemchuk the more I love him.

He literally embodies so many aspects that I see missing from Korchinski's game. Absolutely lethal and versatile shot. Can beat a goalie clean from distance with a wrist shot in a way I've really only seen from Makar. Heavy one timer. Able to utilize the threat of his shot to find passing seams. He's big and super engaged physically, will stand up for any teammate/get into scrums/box opponents out/facewash/etc. Always trying to get to the middle of the ice.

Stats are there too: 4th in ppg by a draft year dman in the last 25 years, lead the WHL in shots by D by over 40, tied for 5th overall in PIMs. Second on his team for goals and points.

He's a 6'3, heavy, mean RHD, a decent skater AND has the skillset of a 5'11 forward. I know the defense needs work but seems like it's improved over the season and I have a lot faith in a guy with his size/reach, physicality and engagement level to improve in that area to where it's passable like Burns/Buff.

Main concern is that his first step is pretty heavy and might get turnstiled in the NHL. But I think with his athleticism and a good skating coach he'll be ok. Big guys are basically never explosive

I think he's going to be a gamebreaker in the NHL.
From a guy (me) who hasn't followed any of the potential draft picks, it sounds convincing enough.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Why is it ok for 2 to effect 18, but it isn’t ok for 2025 draft to effect 2024.

BPA is for suckers because you don’t know the BPA. No one does with consistency. Diversify your portfolio.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

BPA is for suckers because you don’t know the BPA. No one does with consistency. Diversify your portfolio.
Diversify your portfolio? So if I owned Qualcomm and Microsoft 6 years ago, that should have absolutely prevented me from investing in Nvidia?

Based on your logic, what's the point of teams building a draft board?

BPA always.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If it doesn’t hurt just a little you probably arent giving up enough to trade up. The Murphy shit is hilarious when they have Hamilton, Marino, and Nemac on the right side. But hey I’ll give you this replacement level player and you drop back 8 spots for nothing? Sound good? “Sounds great”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Njfj and pvr

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Nikita Artamonov is a great prospect. I just don't trust the Blackhawks to make the right choice.

So I want them to move up because it becomes a lot harder for them to mess up if they do.
Going out on a limb and guessing that the Blackhawks scouts have seen this year’s draft class way more than you have. Also, they are probably pretty good at evaluating talent, most likely better than you. It isn’t messing up if they make a different pick than what you believe is the correct one.

Reactions: Giovi

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Luchanko and Solberg are a couple of other box checkers KD usually goes after. Whatever we do at #2 likely influences what we do at 18

I like both of those guys too. Chernyshov brings some size to the forward pool that we’re lacking right now.

MBN is another forward I could see KD enamored with.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think Surin has better potential than Chernyshov...on my list I have Surin as a potential pick at #18 but no easy does KD takec2 Russians in roubd 1...so If tge board favourite Demidov is KD's pick at #2 no way will he go take eitger Surin or Chernyshov at #18...not going hapoen.

If we take Lindstrom then I can see us going Rusdsan at#18 but there are other choices KD could make like RD Adam Jiricek,,C Michael Hage or CJett Luchanko .

The problem with taking ANY RD at #2 is tgat hevis blocked from takibg the #1 RD by $9.5 for 6 more seasons played(do it woukd be a 5 yr. Block since that RD will not be in the NHL next sesson...

If Levshunov projects as a #1RD (Debateable in my opinion) you do not waste such potential beibg blocked that long from "taking over" the 1st pairing RD.....you do not waste a #2 overall just for a 2RD ...

Maybe you buyout the final year from Seth Jones...in that case only 4 actual NHL seasons for any RDcasliring to a top #1Dman impact(agaibdebateablecif Levshunov ever reaches such exalted lel...is he a RHD version of Hedman=I think NOT...this I cNnot justofycwastobga #2overalk pick ifvhis ceiling is not "Generational" in impact along with tge fact he will be blockedxat least 4 seadobs from ever getting the chance to movevup from 2nd pairing D..

In contrast if Adam Jiricek is still therexat #28I can see using that level of pick on a guyvyou project forca 2RD or a guycwho will contest Rinzel forcax2RD.

Sure we need RD...but draftibgvtgat positional #2makes little sense to me given the Seth Jones in the way issue.

There other way to get 2RD-men...later in the draft at #18 or 2bd round ......but dratibg a duties 1RD who cannot get the chance to play that role (and get the huge bucks that role deserves to be paid if an elite 1RD inpact...I am uncertain Levshonv will have huge impact..but hecwill nit get the chance to showvitvforc4-5seasins after he gets to the Show in 25/26 season...This meansxwhen 2nd cobtract ELC cones around hexwill not havevproven he can candkexax1RD featured role..So hecand his agent willbe unhappy that he will not get a big bucks2nd cobtract ..he will not get to his ceiling beibg stymied thacway.=unhappy camper ..

If KD tades #2 Down ...to #7and#25 (Ottawa picks) it then makes sense to take Yakemchuk at #7 (Ottawa would take Lindstrom at #2 which is what KD should do he kept #2) and so after getting Yakemchuk at #7 KD packages #18 and#25 to movevup to #10 with NJ to take Iginla or Sennecke...if hevthinks Iginla goes at #9 to CGY and thatvis who he covets ,he can try to see if CGY would trade #9 for #18 +25 ..

If we did not move back up and kept #18 and#25 then our draft could be:

#7 Yakemchuk
#18 Hage
#20-23 (trade #25 one to 2 spots up by giving #50 in the deal and getting a 4th rounder back ...thatis #25 +#50 for #20-23 and a 4rd round pick...so take Yegor Surin for tgevouck we getcat 20,21,22 or 23...

So yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus...you can get a better RD sokution than wastecitcat #2 and usecdraftccalitalbtobenhabcevotger moves..

Last edited:

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Going out on a limb and guessing that the Blackhawks scouts have seen this year’s draft class way more than you have. Also, they are probably pretty good at evaluating talent, most likely better than you. It isn’t messing up if they make a different pick than what you believe is the correct one.
It's not just the amateur scouting department(13 people on the Hawks website), more so the analytics department(11) that none of us has the faintest idea what that detail encompasses. I'm guessing there's crossover work between the professional and amateur work for the analytics department with an emphasis on the draft at this time.

HOCKEY STRATEGY & ANALYTICS
Ryan KruseVice President, Hockey Strategy & Analytics
Albert LyuArchitect, Hockey Systems
Daniel CodosManager, Hockey Technology
Chris McCorkleSr. Analyst, Hockey Strategy
Joey VerkerkeAnalyst, Hockey Strategy
Sam ForstnerSr. Data Scientist
Mark WeinsteinSr. Data Scientist
Zack BrussoSr. Software Engineer
Dave RadkeSenior Research Scientist, Hockey Analytics
Jeremie SpagnoloData Scientist
Jack FischerAssistant, Hockey Strategy & Analytics

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think Surin has better potential than Chernyshov...on my list I have Surin as a potential pick at #18 but no easy does KD takec2 Russians in roubd 1...so If tge board favourite Demidov is KD's pick at #2 no way will he go take eitger Surin or Chernyshov at #18...not going hapoen.

If we take Lindstrom then I can see us going Rusdsan at#18 but there are other choices KD could make like RD Adam Jiricek,,C Michael Hage or CJett Luchanko .

The problem with taking ANY RD at #2 is tgat hevis blocked from takibg the #1 RD by $9.5 for 6 more seasons played(do it woukd be a 5 yr. Block since that RD will not be in the NHL next sesson...

If Levshunov projects as a #1RD (Debateable in my opinion) you do not waste such potential beibg blocked that long from "taking over" the 1st pairing RD.....you do not waste a #2 overall just for a 2RD ...

Maybe you buyout the final year from Seth Jones...in that case only 4 actual NHL seasons for any RDcasliring to a top #1Dman impact(agaibdebateablecif Levshunov ever reaches such exalted lel...is he a RHD version of Hedman=I think NOT...this I cNnot justofycwastobga #2overalk pick ifvhis ceiling is not "Generational" in impact along with tge fact he will be blockedxat least 4 seadobs from ever getting the chance to movevup from 2nd pairing D..

In contrast if Adam Jiricek is still therexat #28I can see using that level of pick on a guyvyou project forca 2RD or a guycwho will contest Rinzel forcax2RD.

Sure we need RD...but draftibgvtgat positional #2makes little sense to me given the Seth Jones in the way issue.

There other way to get 2RD-men...later in the draft at #18 or 2bd round ......but dratibg a duties 1RD who cannot get the chance to play that role (and get the huge bucks that role deserves to be paid if an elite 1RD inpact...I am uncertain Levshonv will have huge impact..but hecwill nit get the chance to showvitvforc4-5seasins after he gets to the Show in 25/26 season...This meansxwhen 2nd cobtract ELC cones around hexwill not havevproven he can candkexax1RD featured role..So hecand his agent willbe unhappy that he will not get a big bucks2nd cobtract ..he will not get to his ceiling beibg stymied thacway.=unhappy camper ..

If KD tades #2 Down ...to #7and#25 (Ottawa picks) it then makes sense to take Yakemchuk at #7 (Ottawa would take Lindstrom at #2 which is what KD should do he kept #2) and so after getting Yakemchuk at #7 KD packages #18 and#25 to movevup to #10 with NJ to take Iginla or Sennecke...if hevthinks Iginla goes at #9 to CGY and thatvis who he covets ,he can try to see if CGY would trade #9 for #18 +25 ..

If we did not move back up and kept #18 and#25 then our draft could be:

#7 Yakemchuk
#18 Hage
#20-23 (trade #25 one to 2 spots up by giving #50 in the deal and getting a 4th rounder back ...thatis #25 +#50 for #20-23 and a 4rd round pick...so take Yegor Surin for tgevouck we getcat 20,21,22 or 23...

So yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus...you can get a better RD sokution than wastecitcat #2 and usecdraftccalitalbtobenhabcevotger moves..
Don't you live near Ottawa? Is that why you want to gift them Demidov so cheap? Trading #2 for #7 and #25 to Ottawa would be a terrible trade IMO. No thanks.

I really hope the Hawks draft Demidov.

But if they decide they won't, I could see them possibly exploring a slight move down. If they were fine with any of Levshunov, Dickinson or Yakemchuk, they probably would be comfortable that one of them would fall to the #5 (Montreal) or #7 (Ottawa). But those teams can keep their junk extra firsts in the mid 20's. An unprotected 1st in 25 would be the price I'd want or a serious forward prospect.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

It's ok for 2 to effect 18 because at 18 you usually have a group of a couple forwards and defense in the exact same range with nothing really differentiating them. If you go defenseman at #2 oa, you can go with a forward at the 18 spot if there isn't a clear tier break in your rankings.

2025 is a year away and you have no idea what the top 15 looks like. There could be 6 defensemen in that top 15 again for all we know. Draft years are far too unpredictable to let that affect the present

Reactions: Darkstar and Giovi

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Weird because I remember the Mercer/Reichel situation playing out quite differently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad