2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
For what it's worth I like Mrazek here and would prefer we have a guy of his caliber over Soderblom + whatever other options (Stauber?) are available to us. We're past the point of it being ok to have a sieve in our net. Help this young team learn by having consistent goaltending they can rely on.
Sure, but if that's what it takes to get the 10th overall pick, Mrazek isn't a player worth being precious about.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
For what it's worth I like Mrazek here and would prefer we have a guy of his caliber over Soderblom + whatever other options (Stauber?) are available to us. We're past the point of it being ok to have a sieve in our net. Help this young team learn by having consistent goaltending they can rely on.
You would be selling high on Mrazek who has the prior half dozen seasons been injury prone and inconcistant. If you are expecting what you got out of Mrazek last season this one, I suspect you will be disappointed. It will be like hoping Raddysh is a 20 goal scorer and then realizing he is the 6 goal 14 point 5th line NHL/AHL/waiver wire guy he always has been. I would even retain on Mrazek to make it happen. Our issue was not Mrazek overpreforming his norm last year, it was Soderblom being terrible. Minus Mrazek we absolutley create a (bigger) need in G that has to be addressed, but I could care less about wins this coming season.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hawks aren't trading Mrazek, and New Jersey isn't trading down, for Mrazek.
There's no reason for Chicago to not trade Mrazek. We're talking about 10th overall. Basically everyone is on the table, other than the actual core players (Bedard, Vlasic, Nazar, etc).

You can add Murphy, Reichel, Donato, AA, Kurashev, etc.

Whatever it takes.

If they're not part of the future, they're available.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
To Blackhawks:

To Devils:
Connor Murphy

Maybe some additions in there.
Maybe it is just me having soured on Murphy, but I don't think him at 4.4 x 2 has that much value around the league. Honestly I would view him as a partial cap dump than an actual asset....but again that is probably me. Devils also have Nemec and Marino as a pretty good 1-2 punch at RD I suppose if you retained half on Murphy he would give them a super strong RH side 3 deep.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Maybe it is just me having soured on Murphy, but I don't think him at 4.4 x 2 has that much value around the league. Honestly I would view him as a partial cap dump than an actual asset....but again that is probably me. Devils also have Nemec and Marino as a pretty good 1-2 punch at RD I suppose if you retained half on Murphy he would give them a super strong RH side 3 deep.

It's not just you. Anyone that watches Murphy play would come away with the same impression. He's a bottom-pairing D -- a #5 -- that could play in a top-4 for stretches with a partner that can move the puck.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Defense is where he struggles, yeah. His positioning and gap control just isn't very good right now. Which is obviously very important for a defenseman, but he's trying a lot offensively. He has tons of upside as a point producer.

I think if you're the Blackhawks, you just pair him with Vlasic to help alleviate some errors, and then that frees him up to cook in the offensive end.

And obviously you continue to work with him to improve his defensive play. I think it helps that he's a big physical player. That type of engagement you can't really teach.

One of the things I like about him is that he has a knack for getting his shot on goal, something KK hasn't shown and Lev hasn't either. I think he offers something our other Dmen don't.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
One of the things I like about him is that he has a knack for getting his shot on goal, something KK hasn't shown and Lev hasn't either. I think he offers something our other Dmen don't.
Yeah he's a legit PP1QB option. Blackhawks don't have that right now.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You would be selling high on Mrazek who has the prior half dozen seasons been injury prone and inconcistant. If you are expecting what you got out of Mrazek last season this one, I suspect you will be disappointed. It will be like hoping Raddysh is a 20 goal scorer and then realizing he is the 6 goal 14 point 5th line NHL/AHL/waiver wire guy he always has been. I would even retain on Mrazek to make it happen. Our issue was not Mrazek overpreforming his norm last year, it was Soderblom being terrible. Minus Mrazek we absolutley create a (bigger) need in G that has to be addressed, but I could care less about wins this coming season.
Selling high is pretty relative for a goalie with a .907 SV% and 3.05 GAA. I don't think he'd be a major interest around the league. If NJ would include their 10th for a goalie it certainly would be in a package to Boston for Ullmark IMO.

We'll see how Mrazek's game looks next season but he got an extension for a reason, he's valuable to the club and will give this young/growing team some stability in net. He's not being paid to be excellent, just to be consistent.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The talent drop off this year is pretty quick and getting into the top 13 is going to be costly.

I could see us moving to detroits pick in exchange for bad salary but I NJ isn’t moving off 10 for Mrazek or Murphy

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The talent drop off this year is pretty quick and getting into the top 13 is going to be costly.

I could see us moving to detroits pick in exchange for bad salary but I NJ isn’t moving off 10 for Mrazek or Murphy
Throw in Reichel and Kurashev

Do whatever it takes

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
To Blackhawks:

To Devils:
Connor Murphy

Maybe some additions in there.

Granted I probably hate Murphy more than GM's around the league, but I can't fathom NJ would drop 8 spots in the 1st round for an injury prone bottom pairing d-man.

If, however, you happen to catch NJ's GM in a drunken stupor and he agrees to this trade - do it quickly before he sobers up.

Reactions: Giovi

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Murphy is gonna have to stay healthy and then maybe they can trade him 50% retained for a solid return but they’ll probably have to give back a pic if he hasn’t played a certain number of games.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If Hawks can move Mrazek to get to #10 they should do it. Problem would be that leaves the Hawks with no goalie. Need one to have a chance to improve and not establish losing here.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The Devils just traded for Jake Allen who is basically Mrazek. This trade makes no sense whatsoever.

Just trade up to 15 taking a cap dump from Detroit, and then use the glut of picks we have to get into the top 10. Simple.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think people here need to look at Luchanko/Chernyshov/MBN/Solberg/Jiricek closely. One of those guys have a real good chance of being a Blackhawk. I'll give an outside chance to Hage as well.

Luchanko is exactly the type of guy our scouting department loves. Incredible compete/skating and undersized

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Murphy has artificial value because he's 36th in the NHL in ATOI over the last five seasons amongst NHL Right-Handed Defensemen with at least 200 GP in that time period. Add that he's not ancient or "currently" injured without being too expensive to acquire or from a salary cap perspective. There really just aren't that many options if you need a guy with experience. Not necessarily talking moving from 18th -> 10th which is a lot, but just that there's "something".

Adam Larsson is probably the guy people are calling about, but if Seattle just says no, your team is on his 10-team no trade list or it becomes an expensive mini-bidding war, maybe you kick the tires on Murphy.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Are you being serious with this, or is my evaluation of CM so skeptical at this point that I can't trust my judgement? Even with retention CM isn't the type of guy who moves you up a tier in the draft IMO.

I'm assuming Murphy is worth a 2nd.
The teams can throw in whatever later draft picks might be necessary to balance out the value.

The Devils have no picks in the 2nd round.
so how about:

#18, Murphy, #50

for

#10 and NJD 2025 2nd Rnd pick?

Devils would be getting Murphy, moving down in this 1st this year, and moving into the 2nd this year.
Their 2025 2nd will most likely be worse than #50 as well.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Just saw some tape on Linus Eriksson and he was really impressive. Really good skater and gifted physically. He likely doesn't last to #34, so we'd have to trade up to get him. Not a whole lot of offensive upside, but think Philip Danault type of a player.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think people here need to look at Luchanko/Chernyshov/MBN/Solberg/Jiricek closely. One of those guys have a real good chance of being a Blackhawk. I'll give an outside chance to Hage as well.

Luchanko is exactly the type of guy our scouting department loves. Incredible compete/skating and undersized.
Would be thrilled with either MBN or Solberg, and expect Jiricek. Glad the Hawks moved up to 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad