2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But the reality is when you look at the top 6 of playoff teams, they max out at 2 players below 6ft. We have Bedard, Nazar, and Moore already. It's just not a good lineup if they add even more sub 6ft players. We want a team that's built for playoff hockey.
What you have in the system shouldn't impact your draft pick at all. No guarantee all of these guys make it, or make it big. 2 could be bottom 6 players, 1 might not make it at all, and if all of them happen to make it big, you just trade one down the road for more size. Take the BPA regardless.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Demidov has edges. He's strong on his skates. (not a burner though, but neither really is Iginla)

But 5'11" 168lbs is small.

If the new measurements are more like 6'1" 180lbs, that inspires much more confidence.

Yeah I get what you're saying.

But the reality is when you look at the top 6 of playoff teams, they max out at 2 players below 6ft. We have Bedard, Nazar, and Moore already. It's just not a good lineup if they add even more sub 6ft players. We want a team that's built for playoff hockey.
BPA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's weird that the pick hasn't leaked out, yeah? Everyone knows the Sharks are taking Celebrini. In NFL or even NBA terms, everybody would already know who is going 2nd now. I guess I can't remember, did everyone know the Ducks were taking Leo Carlsson last year or did many people still think it was gonna be Fantilli until Draft Day?

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's weird that the pick hasn't leaked out, yeah? Everyone knows the Sharks are taking Celebrini. In NFL or even NBA terms, everybody would already know who is going 2nd now.
It's not a sure thing draft. Lots of people assumed Fantelli was 2nd overall lock last year and were wrong.

There was also thought in the NFL this time in the draft era that Drake Maye was a lock at #2 but that was wrong

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
There is absolutely no reason for the Hawks at #2 to tip their hand or thought process. In fact, there are reasons to keep everyone guessing and even get misinfornation out there to see if maybe you can get someone immediately after the Hawks pick to pay a premium to move up for their guy bacause they are afraid the Hawks are going to take him. If for instance the Hawks check out Demidov's knee medicals and the tape measure show he has in fact grown and they fall in love with him as their guy, there still potentially be a benefit to put out smoke that they love Levahunov as Anaheim is not very likely to want to go forward this draft given what they have taken in recent years.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's weird that the pick hasn't leaked out, yeah? Everyone knows the Sharks are taking Celebrini. In NFL or even NBA terms, everybody would already know who is going 2nd now. I guess I can't remember, did everyone know the Ducks were taking Leo Carlsson last year or did many people still think it was gonna be Fantilli until Draft Day?
I thought Fantilli was going 2nd for sure

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
what would Anaheim have to offer to move from #3 to #2 it would seem like they would want Arytom L. they forward pool is Deep and the 2 best D propsects are LD. they will have either 31 or 32 and 35. It seems from everything I have read they are looking at Demidov or AL. if they consider them a coin flip. I think I would do it for ED pick? then you could take BPA at 18 and then maybe the best RD at 31/32

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
what would Anaheim have to offer to move from #3 to #2 it would seem like they would want Arytom L. they forward pool is Deep and the 2 best D propsects are LD. they will have either 31 or 32 and 35. It seems from everything I have read they are looking at Demidov or AL. if they consider them a coin flip. I think I would do it for ED pick? then you could take BPA at 18 and then maybe the best RD at 31/32

They likely wouldn't trade up 1 spot I imagine since they know they will get either Lev or Demidov if Hawks take one

Also, if they hear whispers of Hawks going wildcard (Dickinson) they would be even more comfortable sitting at #3

Certainly aren't giving up late 1st Oilers pick or #35 to do that and Hawks just traded away a 2nd already so cant see Hawks having interest in other lower picks

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If I’m Davidson I tell half my staff Levshunov and half my staff Demidov and hopefully gets both out there. It can only help.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I'm really not sure if I would want to take Levshunov 2nd overall.

I'd sooner take Buium, even though he's a LHD.

Wish this draft wasn't such a crapshoot after #1 overall.

I'm hoping for Demidov at this point. Or maybe a trade back IF and only IF they get an offer they can't refuse (ie move back a couple spots but still be able to get their guy). That of course is probably unlikely.

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
They likely wouldn't trade up 1 spot I imagine since they know they will get either Lev or Demidov if Hawks take one

Also, if they hear whispers of Hawks going wildcard (Dickinson) they would be even more comfortable sitting at #3

Certainly aren't giving up late 1st Oilers pick or #35 to do that and Hawks just traded away a 2nd already so cant see Hawks having interest in other lower picks
Anaheim may value AL way more then any other player in the draft. they are deep at Forwards center and LD in there prospect pool. The hawks on the other hand are only deep at LD and nothing else at this point. Giving up a late first for getting the 2nd rated prospect on your board would not be alot to pay assuming there is a gap between 1 and 2. for the hawks you could argue both players fill a need. and most of the insiders experts seem to be very splitt on who we should take and who we like. not saying they would do it but if we were going to trade down Im only ok moving #2 to #3.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The NHL combine started yesterday and I have yet to hear any news regarding it. I really wish it had more exposure and coverage. I haven't heard a lick about any stories of teams really liking certain players. Kind of disappointed

Reactions: Drumman44

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The NHL combine started yesterday and I have yet to hear any news regarding it. I really wish it had more exposure and coverage. I haven't heard a lick about any stories of teams really liking certain players. Kind of disappointed
the athletic testing does not start until Friday I think right now its interviews and then maybe mdeical on WED or Thursday. that is why. hard to get info on interviews.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Agree with BWC's take on ANA moving up. There only incentive to move up would be if they a really strong thought on ED vs AL. Add in that the way a deal gets done is if the Hawks evaluate the players differently, and it's possible that someone else wants to pay to move up to #2.

Purely theoretical example: Hawks love ED, and ANA loves AL (obviously - they don't tell each other their thoughts initially). Verbeek approaches KD about the possibility of moving up. KD would require PV to tell him who they're interested in. If Verbeek says ED, KD would say "sorry, no deal available" or words to that affect. If Verbeek says AL, they might work something out, but PV isn't going to pay a huge premium, (like EDM #1 DP), because he knows that if he said the player the Hawks were interested in he would get shot down. If he doesn't get shot down, he knows the real risk would be a team like Columbus or MON might try to move up into the Hawks spot, so he'd be moving up strictly for insurance to make sure that didn't happen. At least, that's the way I see it.

My assumption is that KD would only make a move if Verbeek would tell him who they're going to take. And my understanding of the GM "fraternity" is that GM's trust each other in this type of situation. If that's not true - there's no deal to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: LavalPhantom

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Reading the game by game scouting reports on Demidov last night. They’re interesting for sure. Basically starting as a KHL/VHL tweeber there is talk of his defensive responsibility and effort, forecheck, backcheck.

Despite his great season I felt like the reports got worse and worse in the MHL. It sounds like a kid that was incredibly bored. This manifested as some very bad habits. Basically he used the league as his own playground trying crazy stuff and became a turnover machine. He’s in love with making low percentage cross ice passes, attacking too much 1on1. Basically not valuing the puck possession because he could just steal it back.

Now, on one level I love this. He’s so talented and he’s figuring out what he can get away with. However, this playstyle will obviously not fly in K, A, or NHL. I only have two questions about him left. 1) the knee… I’m sure it’s fine. 2) where’s he playing next year.

If he plays in the MHL again I think it could do some serious permanent damage to the player. He’s a puck hog and a turnover machine on the M, but it’s clear he has those good habits in him. Another year of the same might crystallize these bad habits.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I think the Hawks could trade the 2 for the 3 and easily swap the 50th for like the 35th and still get Demidov in the process.....just keep telling Anaheim's GM, you have a split decision between the top 2 picks after Celebrini.

Reactions: bwana63

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Agree with BWC's take on ANA moving up. There only incentive to move up would be if they a really strong thought on ED vs AL. Add in that the way a deal gets done is if the Hawks evaluate the players differently, and it's possible that someone else wants to pay to move up to #2.

Purely theoretical example: Hawks love ED, and ANA loves AL (obviously - they don't tell each other their thoughts initially). Verbeek approaches KD about the possibility of moving up. KD would require PV to tell him who they're interested in. If Verbeek says ED, KD would say "sorry, no deal available" or words to that affect. If Verbeek says AL, they might work something out, but PV isn't going to pay a huge premium, (like EDM #1 DP), because he knows that if he said the player the Hawks were interested in he would get shot down. If he doesn't get shot down, he knows the real risk would be a team like Columbus or MON might try to move up into the Hawks spot, so he'd be moving up strictly for insurance to make sure that didn't happen. At least, that's the way I see it.

My assumption is that KD would only make a move if Verbeek would tell him who they're going to take. And my understanding of the GM "fraternity" is that GM's trust each other in this type of situation. If that's not true - there's no deal to be made.
ED?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I do love that EP has Demidov with the highest ceiling in the draft. I buy it. I underrated Demidov’s upside. Celebrini was anointed but there is a world where Demidov has the better career.

From a team building perspective I am somewhat concerned. We are about to score 4 a game and give up 3.5. The only skill we have that plays a kick of defense is Vlasic. It’s a luxury but I like one or two of your top guys to be all situation PP/PK guys. I don’t see bedard or Demidov ever getting there. Nazar could be. We’ll see.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
the athletic testing does not start until Friday I think right now its interviews and then maybe mdeical on WED or Thursday. that is why. hard to get info on interviews.
That's what I mean thought. Outside of combine results, I think there should be rumors and added drama that makes this much more interesting from a fans perspective. The NFL does a really good job of this at their combine. Rumors everywhere

Last edited:

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I do love that EP has Demidov with the highest ceiling in the draft. I buy it. I underrated Demidov’s upside. Celebrini was anointed but there is a world where Demidov has the better career.

From a team building perspective I am somewhat concerned. We are about to score 4 a game and give up 3.5. The only skill we have that plays a kick of defense is Vlasic. It’s a luxury but I like one or two of your top guys to be all situation PP/PK guys. I don’t see bedard or Demidov ever getting there. Nazar could be. We’ll see.
I think Moore and Nazar have the pottential to be both PP/PK guys. Maybe not PP1 on a really good team, but I think one or both should end up at least PP2 and both in the PK rotation. I am hopeful Del Mastro & Rinzel give us a chance of being sound in their own end as well as whatever D we take early this draft. Korchinski has the tools and as a 19 year struggling to keep his head above water does not have to be the final chapter in his story.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

For some reason I thought it was Evgeni and not Ivan Demidov! ;o(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad