2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Davidson gets an F if he takes an LD at 2. We so badly need a top flight forward to help Bedard.

Imagine having Connor stranded on the talent island, and instead of giving the guy a boat to get off the island, you drop off a Ferrari. Great the car looks wonderful, but he’s still stranded on the f***ing island.
I start to question the plan if KD takes anyone other than Demidov.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think the decision comes down to whether or not Davidson believes Demidov is a step above everyone else still available at #2. If he believes there isn't much difference in projectable value between Demidov and the rest - then he probably tries to leverage the #2 pick in a trade down to 3-4-5. However, if he believes Demidov is the clear BPA - then he should take him.

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Pronman doesn't suck. I'm also not sure why everyone thinks Levshunov doesn't have strong hockey sense. All the kid has done the last two years is produce. How many stupid defensemen put up almost a PpG as freshmen in college? You only do that if you're making a ton of plays. The issue with Levshunov isn't that he's stupid (or has average/bad hockey sense), it's that he's overly aggressive offensively and in transition, by the sounds of it.
He doesn't have great hockey sense because he fails at the most basic aspects of the game. Simple passes, decision making, controlled exit, defensive care, etc. I don't care that he produced a lot at College.

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
We have had the worst year to be pick 2. There is no difference with pick 4, I am worried if there are no good reports from Demidov and Lindstrom.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Thought i heard somewhere that he actually beat out Michkov for a spot on the KHL team at the beginning of last year, but then got injured or something. Can't recall what podcast it was.

Here's Levshunov for comparison.

Still a good pick, but not as much of a supposed lock as Demidov.

Cue the people who come here and shit on NHLe.

It's not much, but it's what we have.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If it is not Levshunov then KD either takes Demidov to pkay RW with Bedard 1 seasons out from this coming season OR he trades down a few spots if a team drafting after hom gives a good enough deal that he still ends up with Lindstromat 4, or5 ...youvcan make tge case that besides another skikk guy playing alongside Bedard Hawks ALSO need a top tier 2C to play in the top six adding big size ispeed scoring and all round 3 zone game with a physical game and a nasty edge...alk thatvis Lindstrom.

Sue if Denidov is Bedard's RWvonlibe 1cyou get chills thing they willbe dynamic duo putting up 9
90-120 poibtsxeach or more...But the caveat is they are under-sized..a 5'19 C and a 5'11RW (who needs to add weight) and so our #1line can get physically pushedxaroubd ...Neither is a burner with blazibgcstraightbkibecsoeed... So there ARE lots of concerns aboutcthe size issueand how much tgey may be chasing in our own zone not beibgvBlecto get pucks back enough and so not getgibg the offensive zone attack times they woukd need to put up such highly expected offensive numbers.

Scoring 90 points each they still.moght be -20players which for a lone 1 is not going to be good inane conceivable way.

So does KD go "all skill...small size...No power..doubtful defensive imoact?

Or does he want to add scoring in a different manner but with size and physicality?
Do you want a Toews or Kipitarvor Barkov centering a top six line giving balance to 2 differingvstylesvofvkines.

Hawksxalreadyvhavexsmalk skill forwards who should be Becton play on Bedatd's wing. By 2025/26 season..Nazar, Lardis Kantserov or a medium sized skill winger who pkays soft (Reichel) ...non of them quite Denidov but still adequate to help scorobg one hopes for a smallish -skillBedard line style.

But missing from the t op six stricture is si zero,physicality,powrand defending acumen...Adding a Lindstrom would gova long way towards balancing outxacfuturectoo six .

If KD thinks let us grab Denidov now and worry about that big physical but with scoring skill 2C in the 2025 draft. Or let us trade for that amongst cap strapped teams willing to re-structure their cap allocations,tgen tgatcis what will hapoen.

If I coukdxI would try moving down 1 orx2 slots then Take Lindstrom ratger than go all smalk alk skill ..bu t KD may be thing to stick with his "BOA" rNkibg where according to the majority ot seems Denidoc is tge "clear" BPA even if he brings structural concerns Bouton no size or physicality i Hawks top six forward group.

Can you have too many forward prospects without size and physicality.. that ismy question.

Will that work in refularxsrasom and if it does will it still work I playoffs or does the excitement end with tge Hawks non-physocal little guys lineup feet it Doom when spacextightens and the "artistes" get stymied by more intense checking?

So shoukd KD stick to the Morehouse BOA or think more structurally for team balance?

You decide.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
We have had the worst year to be pick 2. There is no difference with pick 4, I am worried if there are no good reports from Demidov and Lindstrom.
It's an amazing year to have the #2 oa pick if you have good scouts. That's all it comes down to. There are plenty more superstar profiles in the 2-10 range than there have been in most drafts. 2023 was just loaded with talent.

By the way, Grant Mckegg mentioned on his podcast that he has heard Chicago is leaning defenseman wiht #2 oa. That worries me a lot because he has a lot of connections and is right often about teams draft preferences

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
It's an amazing year to have the #2 oa pick if you have good scouts. That's all it comes down to. There are plenty more superstar profiles in the 2-10 range than there have been in most drafts. 2023 was just loaded with talent.

By the way, Grant Mckegg mentioned on his podcast that he has heard Chicago is leaning defenseman wiht #2 oa. That worries me a lot because he has a lot of connections and is right often about teams draft preferences
Not just the scouts but the analytics dept and how the data is interpreted.

If it's Lev, so be it. Just don't rush him to the NHL. The 2-10 picks all have their warts.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But Michkov earned those numbers actually playing in the KHL. That's the difference, he showed despite his stature and okay skating, he can succeed at his level vs the pros.

Demidov didn't get the chance to really do that and answer those concerns
But like I said above, didn't Demidov earn a spot on the roster over Michov in the pre-season?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
But like I said above, didn't Demidov earn a spot on the roster over Michov in the pre-season?
Maybe, i think i read that back then, but the coach seemed to make up his mind on Michkov from the years prior and they sent him to Sochi after 1 game. I think ability isn't being judged there.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Analytics vs eye test are a big debate among the newer generation. Quite frankly, the analytics aren't there yet. Many teams have tried and failed using pure analytics. NHLe is a good thing to look at, but you need an eye test to go along with it. Right now, whatever Dallas is doing is the right way to go.

Most people using the eye test on hf boards have no idea how to accurately asses a player

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Analytics vs eye test are a big debate among the newer generation. Quite frankly, the analytics aren't there yet. Many teams have tried and failed using pure analytics. NHLe is a good thing to look at, but you need an eye test to go along with it. Right now, whatever Dallas is doing is the right way to go.

Most people using the eye test on hf boards have no idea how to accurately asses a player
I usually evaluate my own eye test based on whether or not the metrics and what I'm seeing on the ice match up.

But yes, I agree with this post.

I'd trust Bader's model over Musto 10/10 times. Occasionally a blind squirrel finds his nut.

• Haha
Reactions: Castle8130
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad