NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Well you fill your boots with that. If it were me I would be 2nd guessing my strong stance on a player that 73% of the scouts polled like him least of the group
The consensus is often totally wrong and this was my broader point. Simashev was rated 19th overall on Bob's final list. Arizona took him at 6. It looks a damn fine pick in hindsight.

Are you suggesting Staios rip up his internal drat list and wait for the scout"s consensus represented in Bob's list? It would save a lot of money not running an entire draft department.

Pronman and McKenzie are the best resources for approximating what GMs are collectively thinking. Both had NHL scouts rating Yakemchuk in the top 5. Should these scouts be immediately be fired for daring to go against the grain?

Bob's list is survey that aggregates opinion and gives us a baseline to work with in understanding the dynamics of the draft, but underneath each ranking is a lot of variability.

I have always had a low opinion of Wheeler. I said earlier in the thread. I view him along the Cam Robinson's of the world.

I personally don't think it would be surprising if Yakemchuk goes before Dickinson or Parekh.

But we entering the final stages before the draft- the players have been picked apart in everyway.

Give me Yak or Sennecke all the way

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The consensus is often totally wrong and this was my broader point. Simashev was rated 19th overall on Bob's final list. Arizona took him at 6. It looks a damn fine pick in hindsight.

Are you suggesting Staios rip up his internal drat list and wait for the scout"s consensus represented in Bob's list? It would save a lot of money not running an entire draft department.

Pronman and McKenzie are the best resources for approximating what GMs are collectively thinking. Both had NHL scouts rating Yakemchuk in the top 5. Should these scouts be immediately be fired for daring to go against the grain?

Bob's list is survey that aggregates opinion and gives us a baseline to work with in understanding the dynamics of the draft, but underneath each ranking is a lot of variability.

I have always had a low opinion of Wheeler. I said earlier in the thread. I view him along the Cam Robinson's of the world.

I personally don't think it would be surprising if Yakemchuk goes before Dickinson or Parekh.

But we entering the final stages before the draft- the players have been picked apart in everyway.

Give me Yak or Sennecke all the way
Sennecke I really like . All it takes is the one team that likes him for him to go ahead... I think overall the odds would be lower. Pronman is far from the best resource. Look at the table I posted and look at the Evaluating drafts post much earlier in this thread ... Pronman isn't close with his rankings. Not sure where you get that eval from. Again predicting the draft is not really what its about; that is a Mock Draft it is evaluating the draft rankings 3,4,5 years out.

Reactions: Loach and Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Iginla and Eiserman in the top 5.

Definitely against the grain, as is the usual with Button.

Not high on the D with Parekh 7, Levshunov 8, Dickinson 10, Siliyev 12 and Yakemchuk 15.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Boyd was on 1200 this morning and said that there is always a premium on RD, but they won't be taling someone at 7th overall that they have lower, 15th being the pick he used, just because they are a right shot D. They will be going BPA according to their rankings

That's encouraging to hear

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Iginla and Eiserman in the top 5.

Definitely against the grain, as is the usual with Button.

Not high on the D with Parekh 7, Levshunov 8, Dickinson 10, Siliyev 12 and Yakemchuk 15.
It will be interesting to compare lists, particularly McKenzie's and Button's, after the draft.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Parekh and Catton seem like two guys who fans look back on and ask why they didnt go higher (unless they go top 5)

If someone obvious doesn't fall then Parekh is my pick. RD with that level of talent....his potential is unreal

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It will be interesting to compare lists, particularly McKenzie's and Button's, after the draft.
Button put out a mock draft recently. It is in this thread a couple pages back. This latest Bondra posted list is who he projects to be the better players 4-5 years from now.
McKenzie's list will be closer to the actual draft because it is based on how teams lists look in advance of the draft.

I found it.

You can see how different his mock draft is from his rankings.

Reactions: Cosmix

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Can someone explain why they would take Dickinson ahead of Silayev?

I like Dickenson but doesn’t Silayev kind of do everything Dickinson can do but also he’s way bigger?
I don’t think either of them will be relied on for a lot of offence.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

talightf52

Dec 21, 2019
Would love to see the Sens nab Ilya Nabokov. Could potentially pan out and be our Shesterkin/Sorokin. Anyone with any insight?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dickinson is still 17 and he is a maxed out athelete ... Wowza smokin hot take.

Also some nice cherry picking to fit your narrative.
17 NHL Scout opinions . Not HF Scouts .. NHL Scouts

1. Best Silayev/Levshunov Least Yakemchuk
2. No Best /Least
3. Best Levshunov, Least Yakemchuk
4. Best Parekh, Least Yakemchuk
5. No Best/Least
6. Best Levshunov, Least Yakemchuk
7. Best Levshunov, Least Yakemchuk in a bottom tier by himself
8. Best Parekh, Least Yakemchuk
9. Best Silayev, Least Dickinson
10. Best Parekh/Silayev Least Dickinson
11. No Best/Least
12. No Best/Least
13. Best Levshunov, Least Yakemchuk
14. No Best/Least
15. No Best/Least
16. Best Dickinson, Least Yakemchuk
17. Best Levshunov, Least Dickinson

11 Scouts offered Best /Least opinions

8/11 had Yakemchuk Least, (73%)
3/11 had Dickinson Least ( 27%)

0/11 had Yakemchuk Best (0%)
1/11 had Dickinson Best (9%)
3/11 had Silayev Best (27%)
3/11 had Parekh Best (27%)
6/11 has Levshunov Best (55%)

Look at the success 3,4,5 years out not at the actual draft, HockeyProspect's success rate is higher than most., There is a post in this thread on exactly that. I ran across another one recently they were high on as well. They are very well respected in that regard. The book on Last years draft has not really started yet for most of the prospects

As far as the Draft goes over the past 5 years . Bob wins.
If you look at the top 10 .. A few have over 8 .. HP has 8
Top 15 HP has 12 ; 2 have more
Top 20 HP has 16.6 1 has more (Bob)
Players ranked in the top 20 slipping to the 2nd round,
HP has 2 , Bob has 2 everyone else has more.. Pronman has 12.

View attachment 883719

The Draft ranking success shown here and the success they have looking back 3.4,5 years put Hockey Prospect as one of the best. I don't always agree with them on individual players but they put way more into it than I do and they have conversations with other scouts and NHL scouts as well. So I am in no position to argue with them.
So for the top 10, hockey prospects came in fifth of the 8.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Sennecke I really like . All it takes is the one team that likes him for him to go ahead... I think overall the odds would be lower. Pronman is far from the best resource. Look at the table I posted and look at the Evaluating drafts post much earlier in this thread ... Pronman isn't close with his rankings. Not sure where you get that eval from. Again predicting the draft is not really what its about; that is a Mock Draft it is evaluating the draft rankings 3,4,5 years out.
Because your table is flawed, there has been some significant personnel changes at many of the organizations you cited. Look at FC! It is like drawing straight continuum through different management regimes within a single team. For instance, conflating the very different drafting styles of Bob Murray and Pat Verbeek. Yes they led the same organization but their staffs were radically different.
This isn't about Pronman's personal record of prediction. It is his final mock drafts , when he projects what he thinks teams will do, which makes him a valuable resource. They have been quite accurate. Look at his 2013 final mock. He even has Arizona picking Simashev, just with the wrong pick:

2023 NHL Mock Draft: After Connor Bedard goes No. 1, Corey Pronman sees room for surprise

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Because your table is flawed, there has been some significant personnel changes at many of the organizations you cited. Look at FC! It is like drawing straight continuum through different management regimes within a single team. For instance, conflating the very different drafting styles of Bob Murray and Pat Verbeek. Yes they led the same organization but their staffs were radically different.
This isn't about Pronman's personal record of prediction. It is his final mock drafts , when he projects what he thinks teams will do, which makes him a valuable resource. They have been quite accurate. Look at his 2013 final mock. He even has Arizona picking Simashev, just with the wrong pick:

2023 NHL Mock Draft: After Connor Bedard goes No. 1, Corey Pronman sees room for surprise
K

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I like Dickenson but doesn’t Silayev kind of do everything Dickinson can do but also he’s way bigger?

Silayev really doesn't have any offense whatsoever in his game right now, while Dickinson is a two-way D.

Part of that obviously has to do with Silayev playing in the KHL against men in a shutdown role, but his offensive skillset is behind Dickinson at this point.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020

I think the Russian factor is the only thing teams might hesitate on. I also think Silayev comes with a little more risk as he's been doing well on the larger ice surface, but the transition to NA rinks might be hard for a bigger player like Silayev.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It is more than ok.He nailed the the first 12 picks almost perfectly, including many of the key surprises. I didn't like Pronman either. But recently, he has been money when making educated guesses
Ok here I was thinking we were talking about rankings... not mock drafts.

No one is measuring Mock Drafts in what I had posted with links to sources on how successful the various ranking sources have been .. IF he is good at Mock Drafts great. I never commented on them.

1718666998341-png.883719

This is based on rankings not mock drafts

Below is done looking at how players actually performed at least 4 years later from the rankings in those years

1717030365047-png.877206

Incidently I have never seen a Bob McKenzie or HockeyProspect or FCHockey or McKeens Mock draft ... doesn't mean they don't exist just I can't recall seeing one. There are plenty out there though

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
New Pronman mock just dropped...

7. Ottawa Senators: Beckett Sennecke, RW, Oshawa (OHL)

I think most expect Ottawa to take a defenseman at No. 7 such as Buium, Dickinson or Yakemchuk, but Sennecke’s stock is on a rocket ship right now in the league, and I think they would be hard-pressed to pass on him here given how dynamic a talent he is.

25. Ottawa Senators: Eric (EJ) Emery, D, USA U-18 (NTDP)

Emery probably starts getting talked about at this range. Teams don’t see much offense in his game, but he’s a high-end athlete who competes and has the look of a future NHL defenseman. He would fit in nicely with what Ottawa needs.
You love to see it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
New Pronman mock just dropped...

You love to see it.
Wouldn’t complain
I don’t know about passing on dickinson there although Sennecke is easier to predict than dickinson I think.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad