NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because it had nothing to do with him having a NTC, it had to do with Vegas and the NHL being told that the NTC was null and void because it wasn't submitted by Dadonov on an official trade call. It was an Ottawa mistake, not an NHL mistake

Vegas isn't getting any pick in return.
That still doesn’t mean the NHL wasn’t negligent, not having a DB to confirm any trade.
not to mention Vegas had a year and half I think to figure it out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is there a comparable for Solberg?
Keith Magnuson ; jk do not know .. I think Wheeler or Peters did a whole 1st round of comparables.

Personally not a NHL comparable fan for draft picks Don't @ME if you don't like one, two , any of these

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
All true, but that doesn't absolve Ottawa from the negligence of giving incorrect information during a trade call
Explain this part to me.

Sens said Dadonov's NTC was void because his agent didn't submit us a list of teams (when in fact they did)? Is that correct?

I thought we had it but forgot to submit it during the trade processing to vegas.

Either way, did no one on any side of this think to verify that information, since it makes no sense for a player or agent to overlook that?

Like did vegas or the league not wonder about that when doing this deal?

Either way, f*** off and give us back our pick. You reversed it for kovalchuk, you pricks, and you gave Pinto a longer suspension than guys who headhunt with their sticks.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Explain this part to me.

Sens said Dadonov's NTC was void because his agent didn't submit us a list of teams (when in fact they did)? Is that correct?

I thought we had it but forgot to submit it during the trade processing to vegas.

Either way, did no one on any side of this think to verify that information, since it makes no sense for a player or agent to overlook that?

Ok the trade call, of which Dorion inexplicably handled himself with nobody else on the Ottawa side, it was communicated that his NTC, of which both Vegas and the NHL were aware of, was null and void because Dadonov’s agent never submitted the list on time.

They had asked, and were told point blank by Dorion, that the list was Null and void, and it was nothing to worry about I believe was the words he used.

They absolutely need to put measures in place, it’s bizarre they don’t, but this has never happened in the 40 years they’ve been operating this way.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Explain this part to me.

Either way, f*** off and give us back our pick. You reversed it for kovalchuk, you pricks, and you gave Pinto a longer suspension than guys who headhunt with their sticks.
Stop picking at wounds and let us heal. Lol

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ok the trade call, of which Dorion inexplicably handled himself with nobody else on the Ottawa side, it was communicated that his NTC, of which both Vegas and the NHL were aware of, was null and void because Dadonov’s agent never submitted the list on time.

They had asked, and were told point blank by Dorion, that the list was Null and void, and it was nothing to worry about I believe was the words he used.

They absolutely need to put measures in place, it’s bizarre they don’t, but this has never happened in the 40 years they’ve been operating this way.
So Dorion f***ed up because he's dumb or someone gave him bad info. I can't believe lied on purpose.

Why is a verbal f***-up like that allowed to slip through a trade processing and not be discovered for over a year?

What if he had misheard the question or something stupid? What if they were talking about a multiple player trade and PD misunderstood which player they were referring to?

Dumb process. Dumb league. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I know we need a big fish, but our line of prospects are so thin because of poor asset management, that it would be nice to acquire a few other picks here.

I'm not happy with Boucher, but at least we used it on a player. The DBC and chychrun ones were so unnecessary but, again, we got something out of it (but significant worse than where we could be). The Vegas situation is the cherry and it f***s us up.

In the last 3 years we have lost:

2021 1st (wasted on Boucher)
2021 2nd (wasted on Roger)
2022 1st (DeBrincat trade)
2022 2nd (DeBrincat trade)
2023 1st (Chychrun trade)
2024 2nd (Chychrun trade)
2026 2nd (Chychrun trade)
+ a good young NHLer in Formenton (to off-ice issues)

We got the 25th OVR pick back for DeBrincat but the Vegas 1st round pick penalty makes that a wash.

We'll get something back for Chychrun, but I'm skeptical we'll even get a 1st back.

Not sure if there is another team over that same period that wasted more of it's future, and unlike contenders trying to put their team over the top we didn't even make the playoffs.

Staios has been left in a terrible position by Dorion and I don't envy him. He has to be extremely smart with asset management and if he thinks we can get a player at 12 that is in the same tier as the players available at 7, moving back is a necessity to replace some of the futures Dorion squandered.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
So Dorion f***ed up because he's dumb or someone gave him bad info. I can't believe lied on purpose.

Why is a verbal f***-up like that allowed to slip through a trade processing and not be discovered for over a year?

What if he had misheard the question or something stupid? What if they were talking about a multiple player trade and PD misunderstood which player they were referring to?

It worked great for decades until Sneaky Pete tried to pull a fast one on everybody.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dorion screwed up to the point that he told the league and Vegas that the NTC was null and void.

In that situation it is absolutely his job to have the correct information.

He was hasty .. wanted to get 'er done and screwed up.

He told them something that was not true. He did not do his due diligence which seems to have been done by everyone else trading a player with a M-NTC since those things existed. He should have been fired long before that trade fiasco. And at the very least as soon as the Useless FN Board found out about it.

I personally think the 1st round pick is too harsh a penalty given the circumstances for new ownership to have to deal with. Should have just given them Brannstrom back.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It was fraud. that is why there was such a hefty penalty and why Andlauer said it was fully deserved.

my guess is that Melnyk was pissed at Dorion for wasting so much money. Dorion tried to get out of it by lying.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Dorion screwed up to the point that he told the league and Vegas that the NTC was null and void.

In that situation it is absolutely his job to have the correct information.

He was hasty .. wanted to get 'er done and screwed up.

He told them something that was not true. He did not do his due diligence which seems to have been done by everyone else trading a player with a M-NTC since those things existed. He should have been fired long before that trade fiasco. And at the very least as soon as the Useless FN Board found out about it.

I personally think the 1st round pick is too harsh a penalty given the circumstances for new ownership to have to deal with. Should have just given them Brannstrom back.
I'm not defending Dorion, but I wasn't at that meeting to assess how egregious what he said was.

Bottom line is that this is a shit process with some holes in it if this stuff can happen.

If Daddy's NTC became null and void that should be something the sens have to register with the league and inform the agent of in wtiting.

They shouldn't just be able to casually say it at a meeting when processing a transaction worth millions of dollars and everybody just goes along with it.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
In the last 3 years we have lost:

2021 1st (wasted on Boucher)
2021 2nd (wasted on Roger)
2022 1st (DeBrincat trade)
2022 2nd (DeBrincat trade)
2023 1st (Chychrun trade)
2024 2nd (Chychrun trade)
2026 2nd (Chychrun trade)
+ a good young NHLer in Formenton (to off-ice issues)

We got the 25th OVR pick back for DeBrincat but the Vegas 1st round pick penalty makes that a wash.

We'll get something back for Chychrun, but I'm skeptical we'll even get a 1st back.

Not sure if there is another team over that same period that wasted more of it's future, and unlike contenders trying to put their team over the top we didn't even make the playoffs.

Staios has been left in a terrible position by Dorion and I don't envy him. He has to be extremely smart with asset management and if he thinks we can get a player at 12 that is in the same tier as the players available at 7, moving back is a necessity to replace some of the futures Dorion squandered.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean. We've been draft pick donors for a couple years now, we need to somehow balance being competitive before our stars start asking for trades and replenishing a pool for ongoing success.

It's either a slam dunk at 7 or pickup a couple of extra assets. He's playing GM on legendary mode as a rookie. Would be challenging even for guys with a ton of experience.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
It was fraud. that is why there was such a hefty penalty and why Andlauer said it was fully deserved.

my guess is that Melnyk was pissed at Dorion for wasting so much money. Dorion tried to get out of it by lying.
That's pretty much how I read it as well.

It's really difficult to prove malice in a situation like this, even if there's a paper trail outlining that the NTC list was filed and that the Senators acknowledged it's receipt. Dorion could still say he forgot/was mistaken/was under stress or whatever. So they just went with gross negligence.

Nonetheless, I think everybody involved believes this was a willful act and that's why the punishment was so harsh. I don't expect that it will be reduced either.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If the Sens are fine trading back to 12th, you’d have to imagine they are not too worried about the guy they want being taken.

I’d imagine they either have guys like MBN and Solberg much higher, or they really don’t have any preference on guys unlike the Philly, and likely most, staffs.

If they have guys like Sennecke/Dickinson/Buium, hell, even Yakemchuk, as their guy, there is no way they feel confident moving back to 12 when picks 7-11 could legitimately go any which way.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not defending Dorion, but I wasn't at that meeting to assess how egregious what he said was.

Bottom line is that this is a shit process with some holes in it if this stuff can happen.

If Daddy's NTC became null and void that should be something the sens have to register with the league and inform the agent of in wtiting.

They shouldn't just be able to casually say it at a meeting when processing a transaction worth millions of dollars and everybody just goes along with it.
There was enough info to cost the Sens a 1st as a penalty .. we might be able to agree to that

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I've watched some videos of Stolberg and Brandsegg-Nygard, and both seem like guys who'd be drafted by Florida, under the radar, nobody would really talk about them, and then 4 years later, they'd be playing 18 minutes a night in the finals.

I'd be on board.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
If the Sens are fine trading back to 12th, you’d have to imagine they are not too worried about the guy they want being taken.

I’d imagine they either have guys like MBN and Solberg much higher, or they really don’t have any preference on guys unlike the Philly, and likely most, staffs.

If they have guys like Sennecke/Dickinson/Buium, hell, even Yakemchuk, as their guy, there is no way they feel confident moving back to 12 when picks 7-11 could legitimately go any which way.
Going from 7 to 12 is a long way to move back, and I can't think of many instances where a team has done that sort of thing. Usually you see teams drop pack 2 or 3 spots later in the draft.

I guess in 2022 San Jose dropped from 11 to 27 and acquired picks 34 and 45 in the process. So I would expect that the Sens should at least get pick 31/32, 51 and probably a later pick as well.

If the deal falls thru are the Sens just going to go way off the board again? Kinda sounds like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad