NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Oct 10, 2010
Not sure if posted but The Athletic posted its recent mock

Celebrini
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Demiov
Sennenke
Dickinson
Buium
Parekh
Yakemchuk

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
HockeyProspect Part 1 picks 32-17

17JiricekAdamPlzenCZECHIARD6'02.5"178A
18ChernyshovIgorDynamo MoscowRUSSIALW6'02"192A
19EisermanColeUSA U18NTDPLW5'11.75"197A
20ParascakTerikPrince GeorgeWHLRW5'11.75"179A
21BeaudoinColeBarrieOHLLC6'02"210B
22MiettinenJuliusEverettWHLLC6'03"201B
23VanackerMarekBrantfordOHLLW6’00.5"175B
24SolbergStianVålerengaNORWAYLD6'01.5"205B
25GridinMatveiMuskegonUSHLLW6'01.5"189B
26SurinYegorYaroslavl JrRUSSIA-JRLC/LW6'01"192B
27FreijAlfonsVaxjo JrSWEDEN-JRLD6’00.5”197B
28BashaAndrewMedicine HatWHLLW5'11.25"187B
29VilleneuveNathanSudburyOHLLC5'11"193B
30BoisvertSachaMuskegonUSHLLC6'02"183B
31PulkkinenJesseJYPFINLANDLD6'06"219B
32O'ReillySamLondonOHLRC/RW6'00.25"184B

Last edited:

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
There is a lot of "smoke" that Sennecke isn't going to make it past 7. Is this who Philly is targeting or this our guy?

Sennecke mentioned he had dinner with the Columbus Blue Jackets and Utah, so he might be gone by 6 or even earlier.

There are rumours that Dickinson might be a bit of faller on draft day related to the hockey IQ. In their last Athletics podcast, Pronman and Wheeler both said scouts started to slide him more toward the end of the big 6 D. He could obviously still go higher, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him going somewhere around 10.

In the same pod mentioned, they did a mock draft and selected Sam Dickinson going to Ottawa. It was Wheeler or Peters and not Pronman making the pick; the latter being the much more accurate in recent times at predicting what teams will actually do....I would be kind of surprised if this was the case, with our internal depths on LD and if Parekh or Yakmechuck were still on the board for a couple of reasons. As the draft approaches, even if our scouts rank Dickinson slightly higher than a Parekh or Yakemchuk, it most likely won't represent a significant tier of difference and need will become a bigger factor. Boyd pretty much said as much. He said, we are not going to take a RD that is 15 to 20 at the 8,9, or 10 spot....yes but would you take a RD that is 11 in your internal draft order at 8 if they were in the same tier? Because, as he admits, there is a premium on right-handed players. Or, Boyd could just have Yakemchuk or Parekh higher, which is in the realm of possibility.

I would also be surprised if Ottawa picked Parekh. Either he is going to be 70+ point Dman or an absolute disaster. He might be the type of player that a hard-nosed coach will simply not play or drive out of town altogether. However, I would totally get the selection of Parekh. He could be special. With all things considered, I would be happier taking the high risk Parekh over Dickinson. I have changed my mind on this. When drafting players, you have to project putting them in a place that will maximize their value to the team and as an overall asset. Dickson will never displace Sanderson as the team's top shutdown guy or supplant Sanderson or Chabot on the PP. He doesn't give us enough additional dimensions that will make the team better going forward, especially considering Kleven -who I believe is a top-four shutdownn D-man in the making- is ready to take the next step. I am not saying he won't make the team better, but there are better alternatives. Parekh could easily be the 1# PP quarterback and make that thing nasty.

I will spare you the Yakemchuk talk, but it runs similar to Parekh. But along with displacing Sanderson and Chabot on the PP as the number 1# guy(possibility) , he could be an effective PKer, where the game is simplified in structure (get and fire puck down the ice) and clearing the net becomes of paramount importance. His physicality is something this team is also lacking on the back-end.

When you factor in talent and fit, I would probably go with these guys:
Yakemechuk
Senneke ( I believe Sennecke is the Sens guy)
Buium ( I have warmed up to this player - it will necessitate a Chabot trade down the road)
Parekh

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I don’t see parekh being able to handle the type of games we’re watching this playoffs (and every nhl playoffs). Oppositions game plan would be to drive his side of the ice every shift. And they’d succeed.
I’m torn. Sometimes I feel this way, and other times I just think he’s too smart to not figure it out. He was always very slow to get up when people were physical on him in the Mem Cup though, and he got hit constantly, which is concerning.

But all things considered, I think IQ weighs more heavily than anything else for a dman.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m torn. Sometimes I feel this way, and other times I just think he’s too smart to not figure it out. He was always very slow to get up when people were physical on him in the Mem Cup though, and he got hit constantly, which is concerning.

But all things considered, I think IQ weighs more heavily than anything else for a dman.
I didn’t like his final mem cup game. At all.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
My guys he was the biggest reason his team was competing for a mem cup and why they won.

And I mean Zayne Parekh at 18 will be a lot different player than Zayne Parekh at 22.

He will be bulkier he will have experience playing against bigger players and coaches who will expect him to round out his game.

You guys really think he will be unable to adapt? That he won't improve in a bunch of areas in 4 years?

That's the thing about high IQ players, they adapt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

jodie-comer-happy[1].gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Listening to Jerome Berube I didn't hear him say BPA once, (I may have missed it) but he did talk extensively about what a team has & what they need often. Wheeler is similar in that he discussed what teams have & need & which prospect fits best. While I don't agree with everything that was said they are no different than anyone here & just a few guys with hockey opinions like us although Jerome & Wheeler watch a lot of players consistently. Berube certainly doesn't like Levshunov RD inconsistencies. Interesting that he has Yakemchuk as one of the two most competitve guys in this draft & Wheeler called him the 6th best D in this draft.

I think Parekh reminds a lot of people of Eric Karlsson & IMO Parekh could turn out to be somewhere between Erik Brannstrom & Erik Karlsson. He may adapt to avoid getting hit as much & will have to improve defensively, but he will always be small & soft & will always be targeted especially in the playoffs. Having Sanderson & Chabot in the mix really makes me wonder why they would need another similar, but smaller player. A lot of people talk about trading Chabot, but if they trade Chychrun than they are not trading Chabot anytime soon.

Parekh IMO just makes the team softer which from what we saw him being targeted in the Memorial Cup & the physicality we are seeing in the NHL playoffs is going to be a constant problem for Parekh. I also think they need to win sooner rather than later & I view Parekh as 3 to 5 yrs away from playing in Ottawa full time & at that point the team could be very different.

How long does Sens Management want to wait for the guy they pick in their first draft to eventually play for Ott & the longer it goes the less the impact IMO. It's going to be a tough decision regardless of which way Staois goes given he will have a choice of about half a dozen players that could be selected at 7th OA depending on who falls to them I think they might want a guy who will be NHL ready sooner rather than later, but it will be a tough decision to bypast Parekh RD.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
My guys he was the biggest reason his team was competing for a mem cup and why they won.

And I mean Zayne Parekh at 18 will be a lot different player than Zayne Parekh at 22.

He will be bulkier he will have experience playing against bigger players and coaches who will expect him to round out his game.

You guys really think he will be unable to adapt? That he won't improve in a bunch of areas in 4 years?

He could adapt for sure. He seems afraid of contact, while also taking a lot more contact than expected. Karlsson rarely got hit. Hughes will get smoked occasionally, but is a tough bugger. Parekh gets absolutely blowup. He really got exposed in the later rounds of CHL playoffs. I don't want players who are always on the receiving end of checks. It totally slowed him down. He almost got destroyed twice in Memorial Cup.

With Parekh, we could end up with a Shanne Gostisbehere type player, who is offensively talented but continually receives benchings for being soft and unengaged.

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

I'm beginning to buy into this. Cerebral d men that can skate like Parekh tend to figure out the defensive side of things at the NHL level with time and coaching. We all know that defence has a more prolonged development curve and thus there should be some benefit of the doubt given to Parekh's game rounding out. Evan Bouchard is a good recent example of a skilled D man who came in with criticism, took time but ultimately emerged as advertised.

The big caveat to Parekh is his poor defensive attitude that you read about, giving up on plays, low effort, cheating etc... I haven't watched enough complete games of his to weigh in myself but if this is a glaring issue than it, and not talent, could be what hinders his d game from becoming NHL quality.

As an aside, can anyone point to an offensive d man with similar skill set and resume to Parekh that topped out as average or worse in the NHL? I'm sure there are many but none coming to mind.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Listening to Jerome Berube I didn't hear him say BPA once, (I may have missed it) but he did talk extensively about what a team has & what they need often. Wheeler is similar in that he discussed what teams have & need & which prospect fits best. While I don't agree with everything that was said they are no different than anyone here & just a few guys with hockey opinions like us although Jerome & Wheeler watch a lot of players consistently. Berube certainly doesn't like Levshunov RD inconsistencies. Interesting that he has Yakemchuk as one of the two most competitve guys in this draft & Wheeler called him the 6th best D in this draft.

I think Parekh reminds a lot of people of Eric Karlsson & IMO Parekh could turn out to be somewhere between Erik Brannstrom & Erik Karlsson. He may adapt to avoid getting hit as much & will have to improve defensively, but he will always be small & soft & will always be targeted especially in the playoffs. Having Sanderson & Chabot in the mix really makes me wonder why they would need another similar, but smaller player. A lot of people talk about trading Chabot, but if they trade Chychrun than they are not trading Chabot anytime soon.

Parekh IMO just makes the team softer which from what we saw him being targeted in the Memorial Cup & the physicality we are seeing in the NHL playoffs is going to be a constant problem for Parekh. I also think they need to win sooner rather than later & I view Parekh as 3 to 5 yrs away from playing in Ottawa full time & at that point the team could be very different.

How long does Sens Management want to wait for the guy they pick in their first draft to eventually play for Ott & the longer it goes the less the impact IMO. It's going to be a tough decision regardless of which way Staois goes given he will have a choice of about half a dozen players that could be selected at 7th OA depending on who falls to them I think they might want a guy who will be NHL ready sooner rather than later, but it will be a tough decision to bypast Parekh RD.
I don't care what the posters say. It has a lot to do with fit/need. In your system, with the roster you have, how can you maximize this players abilities. Is there a fit? Should Montreal grab a Catton, while they already have guys like Caulfied, Newhook and Suziki? Or do they support these players with size? However, if they think Demidov is by far a tier or two above the available prospects, maybe you go ahead and pull the trigger and the let the dust settle where it may, but you would have to move someone out eventually. Keeping in mind, moving a Newhook out, for example, would probably diminish his value (being traded by two teams) and youmay be only getting pennies on the dollar. But it could be worth it....

It is a balance. If you think a Dickinson and Parekh are in the same tier, you take the best fit. If Ottawa feels that Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven are part of the long-term solution, why draft a Dickinson - he doesn't bring any additional dimensions to your team. He is like a poor man's Sanderson. But maybe the idea of a Parekh and Kleven; or better yet, a Sanderson and Yakemchuk is really enticing.

Poulin always talks about short and long-term planning. I think this is important high draft picks as well unless they are clearly a cut of above the rest. Scouts and GMs can't publicly say we didn't pick the top player on the list or need was major consideration. But we all know that there are tier's on teams' boards, where player's are not clear cut better than each other, it is in these instances that fit becomes so important.

Last edited:

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I don't care what the posters say. It has a lot to do with fit/need. In your system, with the roster you have, how can you maximize this players abilities. Is there a fit? Should Montreal grab a Catton, while they already have guys like Caulfied, Newhook and Suziki? Or do they support these players with size? However, if they think Demidov is by far a tier or two above the available prospects, maybe you go ahead and pull the trigger and the let the dust settle where it may. But you would have to move someone out eventually. But keeping in mind, moving a Newhook out, for example, would probably diminish his value (being traded by two teams) and you would be getting pennies on the dollar. But it could be worth it....

It is a balance. If you think a Dickinson and Parekh are in the same tier, you take the best fit. If Ottawa feels that Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven are part of the long-term solution, why draft a Dickinson - he doesn't bring any additional dimensions to your team. He is like a poor man's Sanderson. But maybe the idea of a Parekh and Kleven; or better yet, a Sanderson and Yakemchuk is really enticing.

Poulin always talks about short and long-term planning. I think this is important high draft picks as well unless they are clearly a cut of above the rest. Scouts and GMs can't publicly say we didn't pick the top player on the list or need was major consideration. But we all know that there are tier's on teams' boards, where player's are not clear cut better than each other, it is in these instances that fit becomes so important.
How do trades and free agency fit into this type of philosophy?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He could adapt for sure. He seems afraid of contact, while also taking a lot more contact than expected. Karlsson rarely got hit. Hughes will get smoked occasionally, but is a tough bugger. Parekh gets absolutely blowup. He really gut exposed in the later rounds of CHL playoffs. I don't want players who are always on the receiving end of checks. It totally slowed him down. He almost got destroyed twice in Memorial Cup.

With Parekh, we could end up with a Shanne Gostisbehere type player, who is offensively talented but continually receives benchings for being soft and unengaged.

Kinda sounds more like a one trick pony than a guy with good hockey IQ and vision. If he is, he'll get exposed really, really badly at the pro level.

Very boom or bust with that kid. And considering his feet don't save him from contact, I'd be very very worried about picking him.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I'm beginning to buy into this. Cerebral d men that can skate like Parekh tend to figure out the defensive side of things at the NHL level with time and coaching. We all know that defence has a more prolonged development curve and thus there should be some benefit of the doubt given to Parekh's game rounding out. Evan Bouchard is a good recent example of a skilled D man who came in with criticism, took time but ultimately emerged as advertised.

The big caveat to Parekh is his poor defensive attitude that you read about, giving up on plays, low effort, cheating etc... I haven't watched enough complete games of his to weigh in myself but if this is a glaring issue than it, and not talent, could be what hinders his d game from becoming NHL quality.

As an aside, can anyone point to an offensive d man with similar skill set and resume to Parekh that topped out as average or worse in the NHL? I'm sure there are many but none coming to mind.

I think your gonna have a hard time finding players that fit that criteria drafted in the top ten. Even the smaller players on this list, I don't think played with such a strong aversion to defense. I think it is easier to coach and pacify over aggression, and hot headedness out of the player than inject a dedicated willingness to compete later. Parekh might be the closest to Jamie Drysdale and Verbeek identified him one of the players that had to go from his team when he took over.

D taken top 10 in last five years:

David Reinbacher (6’3)
Dmitry Simashev (6’5)

2022 (the exception year)
Simon Nemec (6’1)
Kevin Korchinski (6’1)
David Jiricek (6’4)
Pavel Mintyukov (6’1)

Owen Power (6’6)
Luke Hughes (6’2)
Simon Edvinsson (6’6)
Brandt Clarke (6’2)

Jake Sanderson (6’2)
Jamie Drysdale (5’11)

Bowen Byram (6’1)
Moritz Seider (6’3)
Philip Broberg (6’3)

That being said, I would understand if Ottawa picked Parekh, although I don't he fits what Ottawa is trying to do moving forward.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad