NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
^Appreciate the Heart and Brains ratings

I’m seeing/hearing levshunov drop in a few lists.
Buium or silayev won’t be available to us I don’t think.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't care what the posters say. It has a lot to do with fit/need. In your system, with the roster you have, how can you maximize this players abilities. Is there a fit? Should Montreal grab a Catton, while they already have guys like Caulfied, Newhook and Suziki? Or do they support these players with size? However, if they think Demidov is by far a tier or two above the available prospects, maybe you go ahead and pull the trigger and the let the dust settle where it may. But you would have to move someone out eventually. But keeping in mind, moving a Newhook out, for example, would probably diminish his value (being traded by two teams) and you would be getting pennies on the dollar. But it could be worth it....

It is a balance. If you think a Dickinson and Parekh are in the same tier, you take the best fit. If Ottawa feels that Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven are part of the long-term solution, why draft a Dickinson - he doesn't bring any additional dimensions to your team. He is like a poor man's Sanderson. But maybe the idea of a Parekh and Kleven; or better yet, a Sanderson and Yakemchuk is really enticing.

Poulin always talks about short and long-term planning. I think this is important high draft picks as well unless they are clearly a cut of above the rest. Scouts and GMs can't publicly say we didn't pick the top player on the list or need was major consideration. But we all know that there are tier's on teams' boards, where player's are not clear cut better than each other, it is in these instances that fit becomes so important.
Good Post. I agree & must admit from the start I have wanted to see a Sanderson - Yakemchuk pairing. One brings the smarts & can make up for their partner's defensive issues although Yakemchuk through good coaching & experience can adapt to be better at everything with experience & help from teammates. Kleven & Parekh is also interesting for a yr or two given that Parekh is projected as a top pairing D & Kleven as a 2nd pairing at best although I view him as a very good 3rd pairing LD. I view Parekh like Drysdale, great offensively & question marks on a number of intangibles. The things that Yachemchuk needs to be much better at IMO can be taught/coached into the guy, if he is willing to learn & let's not forget that he played on a very weak team where they needed him to do everything.

It is a balance & I'm of the opinion that we have plenty of skill & need a much better bottom six to compete for a playoff spot as well as fix the RD & goaltending. The big question is when does this management team want this draft pick to be in Ott to prove their competence at the draft table? Is it next season, two seaons from now or 3 to 5? There are a number of players available to them that could be in Ott in 2 to 3 yrs & there are others that could take longer. Given where this team is at now & the pressure to make the playoffs so apparent do they want someone sooner rather than later from this draft? Maybe they fix that through trades & UFA which is possible & gives them more time, but it could also be they might want someone from this draft that can help them sooner rather than later, we'll see. While I think they will take a RD there are a half dozen guys they could take at 7th OA, Levshunov could even fall to them, then what? Who would you take between Levshunov, Parekh or Yakemchuk at RD?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
How do trades and free agency fit into this type of philosophy?
I think this all part of the picture and teams obviously take this into account.
Good Post. I agree & must admit from the start I have wanted to see a Sanderson - Yakemchuk pairing. One brings the smarts & can make up for their partner's defensive issues although Yakemchuk through good coaching & experience can adapt to be better at everything with experience & help from teammates. Kleven & Parekh is also interesting for a yr or two given that Parekh is projected as a top pairing D & Kleven as a 2nd pairing at best although I view him as a very good 3rd pairing LD. I view Parekh like Drysdale, great offensively & question marks on a number of intangibles. The things that Yachemchuk needs to be much better at IMO can be taught/coached into the guy, if he is willing to learn & let's not forget that he played on a very weak team where they needed him to do everything.

It is a balance & I'm of the opinion that we have plenty of skill & need a much better bottom six to compete for a playoff spot as well as fix the RD & goaltending. The big question is when does this management team want this draft pick to be in Ott to prove their competence at the draft table? Is it next season, two seaons from now or 3 to 5? There are a number of players available to them that could be in Ott in 2 to 3 yrs & there are others that could take longer. Given where this team is at now & the pressure to make the playoffs so apparent do they want someone sooner rather than later from this draft? Maybe they fix that through trades & UFA which is possible & gives them more time, but it could also be they might want someone from this draft that can help them sooner rather than later, we'll see. While I think they will take a RD there are a half dozen guys they could take at 7th OA, Levshunov could even fall to them, then what? Who would you take between Levshunov, Parekh or Yakemchuk at RD?
Levshunov is interesting. I really like his skating and initial quickness. I don't think he has high-end offensive abilities. I like Yakemchuk more, but he is also more risky. Oddly enough, I do hear the occasional complaints about Levshunov's hockey IQ and his disappearing for long stretches in a game. Anyway, for me, it is Yakemchuk, Levshunov and Parekh in that order.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think this all part of the picture and teams obviously take this into account.

Levshunov is interesting. I really like his skating and initial quickness. I don't think he has high-end offensive abilities. I like Yakemchuk more, but he is also more risky. Oddly enough, I do hear the occasional complaints about Levshunov's hockey IQ and his disappearing for long stretches in a game. Anyway, for me, it is Yakemchuk, Levshunov and Parekh in that order.
You must either be Pronman or Yakemchuk’s parents, I haven’t figured out which one yet though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I agree with that, Yakemchuk IMO has everything we need on the backend who will be here sooner & has that compete & physicality Ott needs on defence. Levshunov could turn into Sergie Gonchar which is a great pick, but not as physical or tough as I think we need on the back end. Parekh could be great offensively, but bad defensively especially in front of his own net, weak & soft. Having said that though, I would be fine with Ott picking Sennecke RW with their first & Elick RD or Emery RD with their 25th.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 1

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

He has a point. I'd rather stick to some Canadian prospects instead of this new generation of American players.

Russian prospects don't have this option though. Since there is no NHL/KHL transfer agreement, when a team drafts a Russian prospect they own their rights indefinitely.

Needs to be something put in place to mitigate the NCAA loophole though.

Haagen Dazs

Mar 23, 2016
Here's an in depth podcast discussing draft eligible prospects and who makes sense for Ottawa!.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here's an in depth podcast discussing draft eligible prospects and who makes sense for Ottawa!.

Based strickly on the title of the podcast, I think it's obvious what kind of player they will favour.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Title won't get you far, they brought in a scout from. Hockey prospects.com, so it isn't about their opinions

Its a worthwhile listen. No one ever liked Karlsson lol . Brad Allen is very detailed in his player descriptions. Good listen.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
A must listen for Yakemchuk fans.
Hockeypropsects was wrong about Cutter Gauthier and they will be proven to be wrong about Carter Yakemchuk.

Their rankings are equal parts hits and misses and this is a big miss. This from a long-time subsriber.

His analysis of his passing and not making players better around him was absurd. It was actually stupid.

For a palate cleanser, I will leave with this from Mckeen's:

Even better, he’s an excellent playmaker and shooter, and usually displays good vision and correct
decision-making about how to approach his attack. He is a ferocious attacker from the offensive blueline, always on the lookout for opportunities, and frequently carves, sneaks or outright bullies his way into high-danger areas.

This season the Hitmen were very sloppy, unstructured, and lacking in talent, and often
left Yakemchuk alone to do everything single-handedly. And somehow, miraculously and heroically, he
actually made those circumstances work. You couldn’t even begin to count the number of times that he
put the entire team on his back when they were struggling or lagging, making something magical happen all by himself to drag the Hitmen back in the fight, both on the scoreboard and on the bench.

I will say this again. If you dropped a Parekh or Dickinson on Yakemchuk's team, I don't think they could have done what he did and played as effective. I don't think people realize how bad his team was and how his "bad decision" making were often the result of him being surrounded by a young and untalented team. Yes he may have opted for the the ill-advised dangle or tried to do too much or waste his gas tank at the offensive end , but that is only way they were going to win or even generate offense.

If you give him structure and talent to work with, and give him time to development his skating, he is going to be a Fing unicorn.

Last edited:
Reactions: OttawaSenators11
Oct 10, 2010
I’d be fine with Yakemchuk #7 personally everyone has question marks nobody is the perfect prospect not named McDavid,but yeah prefer him over Dickinson and Parehk if we are going D.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I'd love Silayev but I don't think he'll be available.
He has dropped on a lot of boards, Craig button had him dropped also. Not sure if he asks scouts like Mackenzie does but seems like everyone is kind of pushing his stock down to a point where maybe we can squeeze in there and pull him out. I honestly believe there's a chance he could slip to us.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad