NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Going from 7 to 12 is a long way to move back, and I can't think of many instances where a team has done that sort of thing. Usually you see teams drop pack 2 or 3 spots later in the draft.

I guess in 2022 San Jose dropped from 11 to 27 and acquired picks 34 and 45 in the process. So I would expect that the Sens should at least get pick 31/32, 51 and probably a later pick as well.

If the deal falls thru are the Sens just going to go way off the board again? Kinda sounds like it.
The way Solberg is climbing, and it seems more and more likely he may not even be there at 12, it would be extremely surprising to me that he wasn’t very high on the Sens internal list. Checks every box for there, at least previous, scouting regimes on ice and personality checklist.

I said here weeks before, if we are fine trading back, we shouldn’t expect to be going for guys at the top, I had used Greentree as an example of the kind of guy we should expect should we trade back. If we are fine moving back in a draft like this, it likely means you have a guy way out of the consensus ~12 or whatever is seen on here. If you like any of the top guys, nobody would/should feel safe moving back, especially a drop of 5 places.

It reminds me of the 2012 draft where we heard that the Flames had Janakowski, a guy ranked in the 2nd, as their #1 guy in the draft. They were fine moving back 8 spots from 14 to 21 and got their guy in Janakowski.

Or, we’re just going absolute donkey brain and trading the 12th for Ullmark and they aren’t worried about the prospects

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
In the last 3 years we have lost:

2021 1st (wasted on Boucher)
2021 2nd (wasted on Roger)
2022 1st (DeBrincat trade)
2022 2nd (DeBrincat trade)
2023 1st (Chychrun trade)
2024 2nd (Chychrun trade)
2026 2nd (Chychrun trade)
+ a good young NHLer in Formenton (to off-ice issues)

We got the 25th OVR pick back for DeBrincat but the Vegas 1st round pick penalty makes that a wash.

We'll get something back for Chychrun, but I'm skeptical we'll even get a 1st back.

Not sure if there is another team over that same period that wasted more of it's future, and unlike contenders trying to put their team over the top we didn't even make the playoffs.

Staios has been left in a terrible position by Dorion and I don't envy him. He has to be extremely smart with asset management and if he thinks we can get a player at 12 that is in the same tier as the players available at 7, moving back is a necessity to replace some of the futures Dorion squandered.
Lou Lamoriello has a worse track record in the same time frame.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So Demidov measures in at 6'0.5, 192lbs and wants to come over to NA immediately.

Don't think he's falling far in the draft.
He'll be running over Buium at that size.

All positives for Demidov. Should go top 5. If I'm Chicago I'd take him at 2.

In before we get Buium's brother's measurements... Demidov has a great uncle who is 6'5 245 with under 7% body fat. He's a danseur .. very flexible.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I'll play ; what makes it so.

In the last 6 years the Isles failed to make the playoffs once. That has to count for something on the positive side of the ledger.
The consequences of trading away 4 consecutive first round picks are yet to be felt on Long Island. Even still, since he began mortgaging the future they have finished an average of 16th in the league. They have two Cinderella runs to show for it but squeezing into the playoffs and trying to catch lightning in a bottle is hardly a recipe worth betting on. The Islanders have not been, nor will they be, a team that is taken seriously as a contender. I would argue that they are languishing in no man's land and it is only going to get worse. I'd be pretty pissed as a fan if we had mortgaged the future for those kinds of results.

Us on the other hand I would say that we are much better positioned to recover quickly from PD's blunders with 2 first rounders this year and still having an asset that is worth perhaps another first rounder (Chychrun). I would argue that we also had better talent in house when PD started doing dumb sh1t and therefore we were/are better able to weather the consequences. Lou chased a dream when he didn't really have a solid core to build around.

This isn't to be mistaken for me defending PD but I think his moves are going toprove to be far less damaging and Lou chasing a dream with the roster he had didn't make much sense.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The way Solberg is climbing, and it seems more and more likely he may not even be there at 12, it would be extremely surprising to me that he wasn’t very high on the Sens internal list. Checks every box for there, at least previous, scouting regimes on ice and personality checklist.

I said here weeks before, if we are fine trading back, we shouldn’t expect to be going for guys at the top, I had used Greentree as an example of the kind of guy we should expect should we trade back. If we are fine moving back in a draft like this, it likely means you have a guy way out of the consensus ~12 or whatever is seen on here. If you like any of the top guys, nobody would/should feel safe moving back, especially a drop of 5 places.

It reminds me of the 2012 draft where we heard that the Flames had Janakowski, a guy ranked in the 2nd, as their #1 guy in the draft. They were fine moving back 8 spots from 14 to 21 and got their guy in Janakowski.

Or, we’re just going absolute donkey brain and trading the 12th for Ullmark and they aren’t worried about the prospects

I don't see this as necessarily being likely or true. We could just as easily have the consensus top 12 as the top 12 on our board, and have simply come to the conclusion that we're better off getting at worst our 12th ranked guy plus the assets received moving down versus our at worst 7th ranked guy and nothing else.

I personally don't want us to move down at all, because there's guys I want at seven who I don't think will make it to 12, but I could see Staois feeling like the sacrifice is worth it to begin to dig out of the asset hole Dorion left him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The consequences of trading away 4 consecutive first round picks are yet to be felt on Long Island. Even still, since he began mortgaging the future they have finished an average of 16th in the league. They have two Cinderella runs to show for it but squeezing into the playoffs and trying to catch lightning in a bottle is hardly a recipe worth betting on. The Islanders have not been, nor will they be, a team that is taken seriously as a contender. I would argue that they are languishing in no man's land and it is only going to get worse. I'd be pretty pissed as a fan if we had mortgaged the future for those kinds of results.

Us on the other hand I would say that we are much better positioned to recover quickly from PD's blunders with 2 first rounders this year and still having an asset that is worth perhaps another first rounder (Chychrun). I would argue that we also had better talent in house when PD started doing dumb sh1t and therefore we were/are better able to weather the consequences. Lou chased a dream when he didn't really have a solid core to build around.

This isn't to be mistaken for me defending PD but I think his moves are going toprove to be far less damaging and Lou chasing a dream with the roster he had didn't make much sense.
I have not gone back and looked at Lou's moves. Lou's dream could could be his owner's dream as well.. Its a bigger picture when you have a veteran team. I would have to look at the circumstances . On the surface you could be right and long term you likely are right.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The Athletic did a mock draft show, haven’t listened to it all but they had Ottawa taking Dickinson at 7. For Utah’s pick it was Sennecke and they mentioned a lot of people around the NHL believe Sennecke is going 6 or 7.

Reactions: BigRig4

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I have not gone back and looked at Lou's moves. Lou's dream could could be his owner's dream as well.. Its a bigger picture when you have a veteran team. I would have to look at the circumstances . On the surface you could be right and long term you likely are right.
As much as I think Lou is good at RFA deals, he's a really bad evaluator of talent.

Besides Barzal and Dobson, there's not much elite talent on the Isles and some of the money Lou has spent is just him being an old head. Acquiring Horvat wouldn't have pushed the needle for the Isles, and $8.5 million was an overpay for a guy who had only scored 30g twice in his career and isn't particularly good defensively. The Lee contract is looking awful, too much term on Mayfield and Engvall,

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The kind of vibe I'm getting is that moving back significantly (>12th) is contingent on somehow getting out of Korpisalo's contract.

How would people feel about this?

7th + Korpisalo

for

14th OA (San Jose)

Because I'm not sure how I feel about it.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The kind of vibe I'm getting is that moving back significantly (>12th) is contingent on somehow getting out of Korpisalo's contract.

How would people feel about this?

7th + Korpisalo

for

14th OA (San Jose)

Because I'm not sure how I feel about it.
As much as I don't want Korpisalo on the roster, at that point I'd rather just buy him out. Idgaf if the organization really wants one of the guys currently ranked in the 12-16 range that they feel won't be picked near the top 7. We need high end talent and hopefully don't have to pick in the top 10 for a long time.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
If guys like Parekh, Catton, Sennecke, Yakemchuck ,Solberg are available at 12 you could argue that they are more or just as "high end" as some of the guys who go around 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad