NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Picking people who are really good at hockey and play physical is not picking based on philosophy. Brady uses, and has always used, his physical play to accomplish something in the offensive end. He's not physical for the sake of it. At least 95% of the time he's trying to accomplish something. He was a good scorer in NCAA in his draft year and was ranked in the top 5 almost across the board.

I also find it funny that the person making these Zib-Bennett comparisons is ignoring the fact that Bennett was picked higher, scored more in lower levels and was viewed as the more polished offensive prospect as compared to Zibanejad.
There was a lot of folks on here complaining about Brady and his 8 goals in the NCAA, and wanted Zadina,

I was not one of them, I was just hoping the Habs wouldn’t nab him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
There was a lot of folks on here complaining about Brady and his 8 goals in the NCAA, and wanted Zadina,

That's all true but we didn't reach to pick a player based some ill-conceived notion of drafting for "identity". Good managers like all sorts of different players and can understand and evaluate how they'll help the team. They don't cherry pick individual styles of play and pick only from that limited pool.

Now obviously there are some red flags that will preclude certain players but winning teams pick all sorts of players.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Had less to do with Brady being a bad prospect and more to do with the insane level of hype Zadina had.

He had the HF overrated prospect trifecta:

1. Late-birthday - essentially a season ahead of most of his draft peers, which skews how his production is interpreted relating to his upside
2. Highly skilled but without great tools - mediocre size/speed, which gave him a lower floor, which scouts care about more than fans
3. Great numbers at the junior AND at the WJC - stat watchers and casuals who scout mainly through international tournies both loved him

People on HF legitimately thought he was the slam dunk 3rd OVR pick, and some even argued he should go ahead of Svechnikov.

I'm seeing a lot of parallels with Buium this year for similar reasons, but I like him a fair bit better at the same age.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
You really like Pronman.....like alot.
You don't have argument, so you are being flippant.

You are a rehashing the 8 goals lol lines from 2018.

I am using Pronman to support an argument. The consensus here was, of the top rated D, Yak was the one with the bad hockey sense. On my viewings, I thought Dickinson benefitted from being a highly athletic dude, while being on a world-class junior program with high-end talent. I viewed his offensive upside as limited. Peters, Wheeler and Pronman started to reference NHL scouts having concerns about his hockey sense. That was the missing piece. Because, if he did have average to good hockey sense, he would be able to keep a spot on the PP, with that high-end shot, or occasionally hit an outlet pass when a guy was in motion.

Here is where I disagree with Pronman:
Buium does not have above-average skating. He is rather slow in terms of straight-line for his size and generally lacks explosion. I have been saying this for weeks
Silayev does not have above average hockey sense. He looked offensively lost toward the end of the season. I have been saying this for weeks.
I don't think Catton is comparable to Logan Cooley and he grades him too high in almost every category. I don't even talk about Catton because I think he is massively overrated.

I have a ton more.

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn and Loach

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Had less to do with Brady being a bad prospect and more to do with the insane level of hype Zadina had.

He had the HF overrated prospect trifecta:

1. Late-birthday - essentially a season ahead of most of his draft peers, which skews how his production is interpreted relating to his upside
2. Highly skilled but without great tools - mediocre size/speed, which gave him a lower floor, which scouts care about more than fans
3. Great numbers at the junior AND at the WJC - stat watchers and casuals who scout mainly through international tournies both loved him

People on HF legitimately thought he was the slam dunk 3rd OVR pick, and some even argued he should go ahead of Svechnikov.

I'm seeing a lot of parallels with Buium this year for similar reasons, but I like him a fair bit better at the same age.
People actually laughed when in engaging in pro Brady arguments. He is a fourth liner or 8 goals hahaha.

If you tried to provide any context, like Greenway was his center or he had to play the half wall on the PP, although it dragged down his goal totals, because he was the team's best playmaker, it was totally dismissed.

If you criticized Zadina in anyway, it was totally dismissed.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Going on the record. This will be my draft day result.

Very happy:
Parekh: Elite potential with risk.
Catton: Likely to be a star player, but maybe a really soft one. Good player guaranteed.
Silayev: Wheels, range and IQ. Elite potential. Good player guaranteed.

Really Happy:
Buium: Love the IQ. Star potential. Good player guaranteed.
Eiserman: Elite shot with room to fill out his game. Star potential.
Lindstrom: Good player guaranteed.

Happy:
Dickinson: Love the skillset but not sure he'll translate at the higher levels. I go back and forth on him but I think he's a bit overrated and will be a faller on draft day.

A little nervous:
Iginla: Great puck control, motor and shot. He'll be an NHL player.
Yakemchuk: Fast shifty hands but the kind of offense that works better in junior. If I have to predict a bust on this list, he's my choice.
Helenius: Not enough top level talent here but I suspect he'll be a player. I could see an outside chance of a Mikko Koivu kinda player.

I assumed Levshunov and Demidov are gone by our pick. Everybody else and I'll be disappointed on draft day.
Going on record saying parekh is exactly what we don’t need. He will drop(or should drop) on draft day.
He would be the worst of everyone on your list.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
There’s nothing I dislike about Boucher as a hockey player. He plays a tough game and I’m sure he’s a great guy.

He’s just not very good, multiplied exponentially because of where he was drafted.

Surely you’d be upset if our pick is like Boucher, no?
I didn’t mind it at the time. It’s hard to evaluate him without him playing any hockey.
(But I was sorta hoping for lucius)
We do need players like Boucher. That don’t get injured every 5 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna99

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Going on record saying parekh is exactly what we don’t need. He will drop(or should drop) on draft day.
He would be the worst of everyone on your list.

He was 7th on mackenzie's May ranking list and had a strong memorial cup since then.

This is like the HF equivalent of an anti-vaxxer take.

f*** the experts, i do my own research.

Lol.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He was 7th on mackenzie's May ranking list and had a strong memorial cup since then.

This is like the HF equivalent of an anti-vaxxer take.

f*** the experts, i do my own research.

Lol.
What did you think of him in the memorial cup final game? One of if not the biggest game of his life.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Okay so what about the Stutzle, Sandy, Grieg, Kleven draft?
What about that draft? That draft is nearly the complete opposite of what you’re proposing.

They choose Stutzle 3rd, who was the unanimous pick.

They chose Sanderson, who was ranked 8th and was thought to be their guy for months. They passed on the right shot D for the left shot, when they needed a right shot D just as much then as they do now.

They chose Grieg, who was ranked 6 spots higher than where they chose him.

They chose Kleven, who was ranked 8 spots ahead of where they chose him. Again, another left D when they needed right D.

The 2020 draft is exactly what they should be doing, drafting their top ranked guys regardless of where they play or what they shoot.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
What did you think of him in the memorial cup final game? One of if not the biggest game of his life.
I was on the road listening to edmonton dallas. I thought he looked good in the previous game against London though.

But for what it's worth I'm not calling out your take on the player. Just the hubrus with which you made it.

We're all just regular Joes. Just sprinkle in a few "I thinks" or "in my opinion" into those spicy takes. That shit goes far.

Reactions: Icelevel

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Mark Edwards and all the Hockeyprospect scouts have guys some of the big guys from the WHL as falling in their rankings, highlights that Yakemchuk's IQ is extremely lacking and they really don't like his skating, says if anything he thinks he likes him even less than where they have him ranked

Usually my favorite scouting service/guide every year. Black Book is always excellent, lot's of stuff from scouts every year

Did he say this in an interview, or is it in the Black Book?

Of all the established services, I've found over the years that their approach to players is the most similar to the Sens scouts. At least in terms of what they value.

Reactions: BigRig4

Senovision

May 23, 2011

Here is the elbow to the head thrown by Landon Sim on Zayne Parekh.
Nobody that was sitting around me saw it and they did not show it on the replay scoreboard in the Dow centre arena in Saginaw. After that hit Parekh left the game and he had blood that he was spitting out of his mouth. He came back into the game and played but I am sure he was not playing at 100%.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
My dream scenario is Cayden Lindstrom sliding to the Sens. My nightmare is the Sens passing on Lindstrom if he's available. I believe he has a higher ceiling than all but Celebrini.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What about that draft? That draft is nearly the complete opposite of what you’re proposing.

They choose Stutzle 3rd, who was the unanimous pick.

They chose Sanderson, who was ranked 8th and was thought to be their guy for months. They passed on the right shot D for the left shot, when they needed a right shot D just as much then as they do now.

They chose Grieg, who was ranked 6 spots higher than where they chose him.

They chose Kleven, who was ranked 8 spots ahead of where they chose him. Again, another left D when they needed right D.

The 2020 draft is exactly what they should be doing, drafting their top ranked guys regardless of where they play or what they shoot.

At some point the fanbase has to be more agile and informed then say “Dorion do bad on a 1st round pick” - it’s just such a lazy argument. Yes Boucher busted but really the only thing Dorion did well was draft so pointing to his one big mistake and saying it’s all wrong is just stupid.

Staois might take the BPA Left Dman I don’t think he’ll take but if he gets injured me coming back here and saying Staois is stupid 4 years later would be lame, so I won’t do it

Sens are drafting a right shot Player I will guarantee you that

Reactions: aragorn

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I was on the road listening to edmonton dallas. I thought he looked good in the previous game against London though.

But for what it's worth I'm not calling out your take on the player. Just the hubrus with which you made it.

We're all just regular Joes. Just sprinkle in a few "I thinks" or "in my opinion" into those spicy takes. That shit goes far.
True. Point taken.
Sometimes I bubble over and feel the hubris is appropriate. :)
I’ll be real interested to see where he gets taken and how he does. Happy to be wrong so good luck to him.

Reactions: dumbdick

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Did he say this in an interview, or is it in the Black Book?

Of all the established services, I've found over the years that their approach to players is the most similar to the Sens scouts. At least in terms of what they value.
Interview nearing the end of the regular season, think it was end of March.

I think you need to have a paid membership to listen though.

At some point the fanbase has to be more agile and informed then say “Dorion do bad on a 1st round pick” - it’s just such a lazy argument. Yes Boucher busted but really the only thing Dorion did well was draft so pointing to his one big mistake and saying it’s all wrong is just stupid.

Staois might take the BPA Left Dman I don’t think he’ll take but if he gets injured me coming back here and saying Staois is stupid 4 years later would be lame, so I won’t do it

Sens are drafting a right shot Player I will guarantee you that
I mean, sure? The 2020 draft literally goes against what you were proposing, so not sure why you singled it out.

We’re discussing picking for need, our own head scout literally said that Boucher was taken for a need to have a player like him, because they’re hard to find. That’s why Boucher is being brought up, not because he busted.

They very well may take a right shot player, I guarantee you with as much certainty as you seem to have that it’s not because of the position they play or hand they shoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senator Stanley

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why 2 Cecis's's? That's not a option that was given to you. How did you end up there? Is it dark and scary? Are you alone?

Chabot's level of suck is just as bad because play + salary. If he made 5 or 6m that would change the level of suck in regard to Ceci's.
chabot in the top 4 at any price is better than Ceci in the top 4 at any price

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad