NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We have often liked late risers, wonder if there is a kid that is rocketing up the list that we take. I’m not really thrilled with the warts on any of the top D prospects and wonder if we can get a big RD a little later that doesn’t produce much but is defensively sound.

Offence from the back end isn’t exactly what we need, we need defenders. I’m all about the projected best player, but given the IQ issues mentioned about several players in our range, I’d rather not go that route again. strong character, good skating, and high IQ are necessary in my opinion.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Why not fire all the scouts and just pick the highest name available from McKenzie's list? You could save the Senators a lot of money by doing this.
The scouts are for the later rounds. The 1st round is pretty much the top ranked guys. The order in which they are picked varies but it's always the top ranked guys (except when scouts get crazy and pick a Boucher out of left field).

But the scouts earn their pay cheques by finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm seeing local kid Dean Letourneau ranked in the early 20s by both the Hockey News and the NHL site. If we take a defenseman with our first pick I'd like to take a flyer on this guy if available. He's huge and could turn out to be the player we hoped Logan Brown would become.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'm seeing local kid Dean Letourneau ranked in the early 20s by both the Hockey News and the NHL site. If we take a defenseman with our first pick I'd like to take a flyer on this guy if available. He's huge and could turn out to be the player we hoped Logan Brown would become.
Yeah
Guy looks legit
Tage Thompson 2.0 they say

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Going on record saying parekh is exactly what we don’t need. He will drop(or should drop) on draft day.
He would be the worst of everyone on your list.
don't think he is dropping with those numbers

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
We have often liked late risers, wonder if there is a kid that is rocketing up the list that we take. I’m not really thrilled with the warts on any of the top D prospects and wonder if we can get a big RD a little later that doesn’t produce much but is defensively sound.

Offence from the back end isn’t exactly what we need, we need defenders. I’m all about the projected best player, but given the IQ issues mentioned about several players in our range, I’d rather not go that route again. strong character, good skating, and high IQ are necessary in my opinion.
If there is one thing that this draft is overflowing with it's big, athletic defenders projected to go from round 2 onwards.

Dominik Badinka [R]
Adam Kleber [R]
EJ Emery [R]
Harrison Brunicke [R]
Jesse Pulkkinen [L]
Nate Misskey [R]
Will Skahan [L]
Tomas Lavoie [R]
Lukas Fischer [L]
Spencer Gill [R]
Colton Roberts [R]
Colin Ralph [L]
William McIsaac [R]
Nathan Mayes [L]
Gabriel Eliasson [L]
Jan Golicic [L]
Niilopekka Muhonen [L]
Parker Alcos [R]

What this draft doesn't have a lot of is big, skilled forwards. So if there's a guy lower on consensus lists that the Sens could have high on their board, it's probably Beckett Sennecke. His draft profile is very Sens-like. He garnered 3 top-10 votes in McKenzie's most recent list despite coming in at 14th. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up being the pick at 7.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Going on record saying parekh is exactly what we don’t need. He will drop(or should drop) on draft day.
He would be the worst of everyone on your list.
Pronman has Parekh dropping to 13 in his latest mock. You don't have to like his rankings, but he typically has a pretty good handle on what the people who actually make the decisions are thinking.

Here's what he has the Sens doing...

7. Ottawa Senators: Carter Yakemchuk, D, Calgary (WHL)​

In a survey of teams leading up to the draft, I get the sense that Yakemchuk has a better than 50 percent chance to go in the top 10. He’s big, highly skilled and plays hard, and as a right-handed defenseman, he would fit in very nicely in what the Senators lack on their depth chart while providing plenty of upside.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Iginla and Sennecke seem to be the two later risers that a lot of people have in their top 10.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
The prospects from 2-10 are very interesting. Tons of talent, and plenty of flaws. So hard to tell who will pan out.

I like how Catton creates offense. Smaller guy, but has great sense, passing, shooting, skating, and offensive efficiency over flash.

Has a chance to be a big time scorer. If he plays center or wing, tough to say.

The dmen are all intriguing. Who knows which ones will be there when the Sens pick.

Really hope they hit on this pick, would go a long way to augmenting the current roster. Having an impact player on an ELC going into what will hopefully be a competitive window will help the cap a lot.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I wonder if MTL takes Sennecke at #5 and Iginla is still there at #7, does Ottawa trade back with Calgary for #9 + and take Yakemchuk? Feels plausible.

Reactions: aragorn

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It’s crazy I can make an argument and be happy with any of the players we could potentially take - I have very little anxiety about our first pick.
It’s delightful.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hilarious thing is people saying we need to draft Rd. Why if we sign a youngish rd signed for 5 more years? Then RD is konger the pressing need it was. Things change what’s. A need now may not be a need tomorrow
Agreed. Drafting is for 3+ years from now.

If we sign a guy like Pesce or Roy to a 7 year deal, what exactly are we doing? Drafting a Zub replacement? Do we then not immediately need a chabot replacement since his deal ends a year later? We'll need a Batherson replacement too, his deal ends at the same time as Zub, and Tkachuk's the same time as Chabot's.

You don't draft for need, you trade and sign UFA's for need. Drafting is hit or miss, you might not get what you expect, a player might bust, or might develop into a different role than initially expected, maybe in the later rounds, you start to considering the farm system and can start considering needs (like the farm has no LW, so stock up on a few and hopefully one of those late round picks pan out, at that point no matter who you pick its just a roll of the dice), but at the top of the draft you just need to max out on the impact of the pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If there is one thing that this draft is overflowing with it's big, athletic defenders projected to go from round 2 onwards.

Dominik Badinka [R]
Adam Kleber [R]
EJ Emery [R]
Harrison Brunicke [R]
Jesse Pulkkinen [L]
Nate Misskey [R]
Will Skahan [L]
Tomas Lavoie [R]
Lukas Fischer [L]
Spencer Gill [R]
Colton Roberts [R]
Colin Ralph [L]
William McIsaac [R]
Nathan Mayes [L]
Gabriel Eliasson [L]
Jan Golicic [L]
Niilopekka Muhonen [L]
Parker Alcos [R]

What this draft doesn't have a lot of is big, skilled forwards. So if there's a guy lower on consensus lists that the Sens could have high on their board, it's probably Beckett Sennecke. His draft profile is very Sens-like. He garnered 3 top-10 votes in McKenzie's most recent list despite coming in at 14th. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up being the pick at 7.
Kleber, Lavoie and Gill are very strong options for our 2nd and 4th rounds. I'd be happily surprised if any of those 3 were there in the 4th

Would be very, very surprised if they were not being interviewed and met with multiple times in the next day or two by Boyd and company.

Agreed there is a very big difference in the quality drop between both positions, and Sennecke fits the profile of a Sens pick, under the former regime at the very least, to a tee.

Would not be upset whatsoever to walk away with a forward at 7 and then stock up on a few big toolsy D in the next few rounds.

7th - Sennecke
25th - Hemming
39th/drop back to 40's - Kleber

I'd be extremely pleased with an outcome similar to that

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Pronman has Parekh dropping to 13 in his latest mock. You don't have to like his rankings, but he typically has a pretty good handle on what the people who actually make the decisions are thinking.

Here's what he has the Sens doing...
Sure. Sounds fine. I also want iginla (assuming lindstrom will be gone).

Lots of players I want is the problem. Can we get 2 more top 10 picks please? :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Kleber, Lavoie and Gill are very strong options for our 2nd and 4th rounds. I'd be happily surprised if any of those 3 were there in the 4th

Would be very, very surprised if they were not being interviewed and met with multiple times in the next day or two by Boyd and company.

Agreed there is a very big difference in the quality drop between both positions, and Sennecke fits the profile of a Sens pick, under the former regime at the very least, to a tee.

Would not be upset whatsoever to walk away with a forward at 7 and then stock up on a few big toolsy D in the next few rounds.

7th - Sennecke
25th - Hemming

If go forward 7 I would like emery later. I don’t know hemming though. Only seen emery elick(who I don’t really like) stolberg and mews (who I’m also meh on)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

7th - Sennecke
25th - Hemming

I doubt we keep 25OA. I think it gets used to acquire a player.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Strongly agreed. I haven't watched the kids this year at all, but all the "holes in their game" and lack of hockey IQ is a big red flag for me. I get the kids aren't developed at this stage (especially defensemen), but at the speed of the NHL these days, you really need guys who really understand the same and who can adapt to changes on the fly.

Hockey IQ and the ability and willingness to learn is key going forward, along with skating.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What kinda dude are we getting for 25?

I’m not even sure who’s available for trade at the moment.
We want a vet for the top 9, a vet top 4 RD and a goalie upgrade. We may want an addition top 9 vet and bottom pair RD vet. Lots of needs to fill through FA and trade.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd like to see the Sens take a flyer on Gavin Hodnett with their 5th round pick. He's tiny but the kid has great wheels, plays pretty fearlessly and plays a two way game.

I could see a Pageau type player there eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad