2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hearing "first round grade" hits a lot different when Kevyn says it than when Brandon Beane says it, I've noticed.

1717704792508.png

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
They had a first round grade on him because they are bad at their jobs. Same people who keep drafting the same player type every year.
Ridiculous. We've drafted well in the Adams era.

The fact that people obsess about them (likely) missing on a 2nd round swing (our 4th pick of that draft) at a major position of need while ignoring the multiple hits is, sadly, par for the course.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can see why. He’s probably my second favourite prospect

He’s one of my favorites right now. That second half run and the traffic he plays in make me think they have a player there. He’s got some prick in his game too. I’m hoping they’re looking for a lot more jackass to play against guys in this draft.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder if people actually think that say...Kulich and Benson do the same thing. They're thrown in a pile of "not tall" as if that describes what they bring to the table. Usually by the same people who would gladly use every pick on someone from a pile of "very tall". Almost none of which are actually as hard to play against as Benson.
They had a first round grade on him because they are bad at their jobs. Same people who keep drafting the same player type every year.

Guess that answers that question.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Guess that answers that question.
Is Benson a credit to Adams? Any of us would have taken him at 13, it was a gift. Like I said, Adams' drafts have been mostly very solid, even if I don't like a few picks, it's never perfect.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
He’s one of my favorites right now. That second half run and the traffic he plays in make me think they have a player there. He’s got some prick in his game too. I’m hoping they’re looking for a lot more jackass to play against guys in this draft.
They have so much skill in the org that I'd be totally fine with an entire draft dedicated to PITAs (err, PsITA?). They did it a little last draft. I mean Benson is pita, Wahlberg is a handful. The two D are physical guys. Yeah, more of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SonofHerb

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ridiculous. We've drafted well in the Adams era.

The fact that people obsess about them (likely) missing on a 2nd round swing (our 4th pick of that draft) at a major position of need while ignoring the multiple hits is, sadly, par for the course.
They haven’t had any hits yet, besides Benson, which was an easy pick.

The hard part of drafting is post-1st round and we still have to wait years to see if a single one of them play a single NHL game. Calling Adams a successful drafter is premature - just as easy to make an argument that he’s average at best.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

The hard part of drafting is post-1st round and we still have to wait years to see if a single one of them play a single NHL game. Calling Adams a successful drafter is premature - just as easy to make an argument that he’s average at best.
JJP..

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Adams has only had 4 drafts.

In those four drafts, he has had 2 of his 7 1st rounders make meaningful contributions to the NHL roster (Quinn & Benson) and 1 2nd rounder hit as well (JJP).

And he has multiple non-1st rounders developing well and/or playing in the AHL. Wahlberg, Komarov, and Novikov are just some of the non-1sts that are looking like they are on a good path right now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Calling him a successful drafter is premature but totally fine to say they're horrible 🤣

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Adams is a collaborator that is relying on the collective work of the scouting dept and taking the highest rated guys they put on a list for him. That's not bad even if he is just staying out of the way. But to properly complement that strategy, he has to be able to make decisive trades that fill in the roster gaps when drafting the best talent alone doesn't result in a well-rounded roster (and how could it?). So far KA's trade history mostly amounts to clean-up work in aisle 9...getting the best return for guys that wanted out or wanted more money than they were willing to pay considering the timeline of the rest of the roster. It's been a mixed bag of decent/adequate/bad results IMO.

Judging KA on the draft is really judging the scouting dept, and should really only be scored through the lens of the talent shown through/after development. Some of these guys will have to show that result on another team though, if KA ever gets around to properly shaping the roster via trades of Rosen, for ex.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Adams has only had 4 drafts.

In those four drafts, he has had 2 of his 7 1st rounders make meaningful contributions to the NHL roster (Quinn & Benson) and 1 2nd rounder hit as well (JJP).

And he has multiple non-1st rounders developing well and/or playing in the AHL. Wahlberg, Komarov, and Novikov are just some of the non-1sts that are looking like they are on a good path right now.
I agree it's too early, but it doesn't exactly look like he's doing any better than the competition, though he isn't falling flat on his face either. Giving Leinonen a first-round grade is a major fail imo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree it's too early, but it doesn't exactly look like he's doing any better than the competition, though he isn't falling flat on his face either. Giving Leinonen a first-round grade is a major fail imo.
I hated the Leinonen pick. But, every FO has their misses.

The Sabres under Adams have not been perfect. But, they have done well with all the picks that they had.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I hated the Leinonen pick. But, every FO has their misses.

The Sabres under Adams have not been perfect. But, they have done well with all the picks that they had.
I don't really love the way the prospects are trending, though I obviously love some of them. Wahlberg and Komerov are the only instances where they look particularly savvy in retrospect, and that's not enough.

Kulich, JJP, and Benson were great picks, but my mom could have made those picks, they were huge fallers and obvious.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I don't really love the way the prospects are trending, though I obviously love some of them. Wahlberg and Komerov are the only instances where they look particularly savvy in retrospect, and that's not enough.

Kulich, JJP, and Benson were great picks, but my mom could have made those picks, they were huge fallers and obvious.
Except the other NHL GMs (and their staffs) didn’t select those fallers. So, if we had one of those GMs, we wouldn’t have those same players.

This isn’t a 1OA pick and McDavid is on the board situation. There were many other legitimate options with each of those picks.

You’re not giving him credit where it’s due.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Except the other NHL GMs (and their staffs) didn’t select those fallers. So, if we had one of those GMs, we wouldn’t have those same players.

This isn’t a 1OA pick and McDavid is on the board situation. There were many other legitimate options with each of those picks.

You’re not giving him credit where it’s due.
I happen to disagree and think fans are giving Adams drafting too much credit for his drafting. I initially thought he was a genius but his drafts all look worse the more time goes by.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think his drafting is at least average. Which I think is okay. I want phenomenal though.

I know our prospect pool is at the top but a lot of that depends if a team has multiple 1st round draft picks.

I wish I could go back in time and redraft.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think his drafting is at least average. Which I think is okay. I want phenomenal though.

I know our prospect pool is at the top but a lot of that depends if a team has multiple 1st round draft picks.

I wish I could go back in time and redraft.

I'm no fan of Adams but even I give him a grade of above average at this point where everything sits.

Not only the 1st round picks but has hit big in 2nd. .. and has opportunities to still hit on later round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad