2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The 10th and 11th picks are out there in trade talks. The question is will there be any deals that work out for both sides and we see the picks move.

There tend to be more talks than deals over the years.
agreed, and do we want to trade that pick for a Risto level player (14th) or package for a better player (O'Reilly) for ie

but overall it's time for KA to try and make a big boy deal if it makes sense

I wonder if they in on the Necas chatter ? Although the price seems high even for the Canucks who seemed the favorite there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

‘If I were GM’: Pronman, Wheeler, and Bultman pick the first round of the 2024 NHL Draft

On a loaded Prospects Series episode of The Athletic Hockey Show, Max, Corey, Scott, and FloHockey’s Chris Peters break down Corey’s latest 2024 NHL Draft ranking, Chris audits Corey, Max, and Scott’s “If I were a GM” mock draft results, and the guys close things out with thoughts on the Memorial Cup so far.

This was a good, and at times feisty, conversation.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
agreed, and do we want to trade that pick for a Risto level player (14th) or package for a better player (O'Reilly) for ie
Nobody trades 14OA for a Risto-level player. Fletcher traded that pick for what he imagined Risto would become. Instead, he got Risto.

It cost Fletcher his job, and that kind of misjudgment would get Adams fired, too.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

This was a good, and at times feisty, conversation.
The defense for taking Eiserman was poor compared to all of the other examples. The main starting point was that the other guys in the area left to pick were the same.

Saying we’ve drafted sub 6 foot guys in recent years and Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius are all about the same size…except only one of them is a center…oh yeah, and Sennecke is still there. Dumb argument.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
The defense for taking Eiserman was poor compared to all of the other examples. The main starting point was that the other guys in the area left to pick were the same.

Saying we’ve drafted sub 6 foot guys in recent years and Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius are all about the same size…except only one of them is a center…oh yeah, and Sennecke is still there. Dumb argument.
Mbn isn't a bad pick at 11 either and I'm warming up to parekh mbn provides a good power game with a 200 ft game that's good and a great shot he would be a player that the pipeline lacks with a legit top 6 potential he is 6'1 and good weight not the tallest but he is a hard nose player

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
let alone getting by Calgary
I think fan opinion has jumped the shark as far as assuming the Flames will select Iginla if he's there.

The family connection could certainly be a tiebreaker if they have him and a couple other kids with the same grade, but if they have Catton, Sennecke, Helenius, or any of the D graded higher, I seriously doubt they'll override their scouting in favor of the Hollywood script that fans want. Sure, Conroy could just be playing coy, but he seems like a serious hockey exec who won't play favorites.

“What we’ve always said is we just have to put everybody in the right order, put them where they belong,” Conroy said during an interview on Hockey Night in Canada’s After Hours in April. “And then when we start the draft, we’ll go down the list. And when we pick, whoever’s on the list we’ll take the best player.”

Around the league, there are NHL teams convinced that Calgary both will and won’t take him if he’s available.

Naturally, it raises the question: Would it be a good thing for Tij Iginla to play in Calgary, where his father cast a long shadow and now works for the team? Complicating matters further is that Jarome Iginla’s best friend in hockey is Craig Conroy, the Flames’ general manager, who will have the final say over who the Flames pick at No. 9. Julian McKenzie and Corey Pronman of The Athletic pondered the pros and cons of that decision.
Social media tends to be divisive but, on this question, there seems to be as much of a consensus as there can be. If he’s available, Calgary fans want to see the son of Jarome in the Flames organization.

“That’s cool,” said Jarome. “That’s a nice compliment. People ask me that question all the time. I got asked that (last Saturday) by Bryce Salvador. His son was at the Oil Kings camp, too (along with Iginla’s other son, Joe). They came in from New Jersey. He was asking about Tij and Calgary and I said, ‘I don’t know.’ Because there are so many pros and cons to that – and teams have different positional needs. So, I just stay out of it. It’ll work out.”

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think fan opinion has jumped the shark as far as assuming the Flames will select Iginla if he's there.

The family connection could certainly be a tiebreaker if they have him and a couple other kids with the same grade, but if they have Catton, Sennecke, Helenius, or any of the D graded higher, I seriously doubt they'll override their scouting in favor of the Hollywood script that fans want. Sure, Conroy could just be playing coy, but he seems like a serious hockey exec who won't play favorites.

I hope Calgary passes and he falls to the Sabres. I’ve been on the Iginla train since he was projected as a 3rd rounder.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Sharks Dir. of AS:
28:10

"In amateur scouting you have to have an eye on where you are. Have an eye on where you want to go. But you have to pay attention not to keep getting what you already have.

If you continue to draft the same type of player every year, you are kind of dismissing that asset. "

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Sharks Dir. of AS:
28:10

"In amateur scouting you have to have an eye on where you are. Have an eye on where you want to go. But you have to pay attention not to keep getting what you already have.

If you continue to draft the same type of player every year, you are kind of dismissing that asset. "

KA:
source.gif

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder if people actually think that say...Kulich and Benson do the same thing. They're thrown in a pile of "not tall" as if that describes what they bring to the table. Usually by the same people who would gladly use every pick on someone from a pile of "very tall". Almost none of which are actually as hard to play against as Benson.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I wonder if people actually think that say...Kulich and Benson do the same thing. They're thrown in a pile of "not tall" as if that describes what they bring to the table. Usually by the same people who would gladly use every pick on someone from a pile of "very tall". Almost none of which are actually as hard to play against as Benson.
Well, you take BPA and first of all look at talent. But I think KA could have done better in the drafts, although he did well.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well, you take BPA and first of all look at talent. But I think KA could have done better in the drafts, although he did well.
The primary time he didn't do that was the Leinonen pick in 2022 #41OA. We would all be singing his praises with regard to the draft if he had actually gone BPA rather than BGA and drafted Lane Hutson with that pick. It really wasn't necessary to reach up for a goalie like that and it bit us pretty good. Hutson is an exceptional blueline weapon and that was known at the time.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
The primary time he didn't do that was the Leinonen pick in 2022 #41OA. We would all be singing his praises with regard to the draft if he had actually gone BPA rather than BGA and drafted Lane Hutson with that pick. It really wasn't necessary to reach up for a goalie like that and it bit us pretty good. Hutson is an exceptional blueline weapon and that was known at the time.
They said they had Leinonen as a 1st round grade so as far as their list went he could have been their BPA and they had considered drafting him with their 3rd 1st round pick instead if waiting for the 2nd round.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
They said they had Leinonen as a 1st round grade so as far as their list went he could have been their BPA and they had considered drafting him with their 3rd 1st round pick instead if waiting for the 2nd round.
I don't doubt that they had a 1st round grade on him, but I highly doubt they ever even briefly considered using the Kulich pick on him on draft day. I watched the Behind Blue and Gold draft videos and they were all-in on Kulich and utterly shocked that he actually fell to them after they tried six different times to trade up for him between #16 and #28.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I don't doubt that they had a 1st round grade on him, but I highly doubt they ever even briefly considered using the Kulich pick on him on draft day. I watched the Behind Blue and Gold draft videos and they were all-in on Kulich and utterly shocked that he actually fell to them after they tried six different times to trade up for him between #16 and #28.
Literally one of the first questions

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

They didn't think Kulich would still be available at #28. If he was off the board then they may have picked Leinonen.

Reactions: Zman5778 and HOOats

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They also had a first round grade on Neuchev in his draft year. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad