2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think his drafting is at least average. Which I think is okay. I want phenomenal though.

I know our prospect pool is at the top but a lot of that depends if a team has multiple 1st round draft picks.

I wish I could go back in time and redraft.

As does every team in every sport in the history of time.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think his drafting is at least average. Which I think is okay. I want phenomenal though.

I know our prospect pool is at the top but a lot of that depends if a team has multiple 1st round draft picks.

I wish I could go back in time and redraft.
I mean, to be fair...were either of the teams in the Cup Final this year really built through the draft? Both teams have high top-ten draft picks still playing for them in key roles but they were heavily flushed out with key trades and FA signings. That's the way it's going to happen for us eventually.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

giphy.gif

I hope they end up with another guy most analysts think has top 5 talent in the class while drafting outside of the top 5 so we can add to Doug’s disappointment of drafting the best player on the board

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

giphy.gif

I hope they end up with another guy most analysts think has top 5 talent in the class while drafting outside of the top 5 so we can add to Doug’s disappointment of drafting the best player on the board

I hope they don't get anyone.

Reactions: Jacob582

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Sounds like Catton and Eiserman are dropping and Iginla, Yakemchuk and Sennecke are rising.

Wonder if Calgary takes Iginla at 9.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Combine test scores coming in:

Always remember that some of these guys have been training to do this particular test for months and some were playing last week. Also room for growth is important versus somebody who has already stacked on all they can.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If Tij falls to Calgary no way Conroy overthinks it. They have to choose him. Perfect for the Flames and it's also an appropriate spot for him in the draft.

I love the kid but if the Sabres want him they need to jump Calgary.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
They haven’t had any hits yet, besides Benson, which was an easy pick.

The hard part of drafting is post-1st round and we still have to wait years to see if a single one of them play a single NHL game. Calling Adams a successful drafter is premature - just as easy to make an argument that he’s average at best.
Success can be relative to time. He has 5 first round picks trending well (100%). He has 3 seconds trending well (60%). He has 1 3rd round pick trending well (25%). Rounds 4-7 he has 4 of 18 trending decently (23%).

Compare that to hit rates of picks in draft history, he is trending above average for rounds 1 and 2, decent for round 3, and above average for rounds 4-7

Does that mean he is a great drafting gm? Depends on someone’s view, but with median gm tenure being 4 years, this is about the time where you can start to say that a trend solidifies.

Very few GMs last long enough to see their draft picks develop to UFA years.

By all accounts, adams has found a way to get good talent in good spots, and supplement the pool with good second and late round picks. That’s pretty damn good to have happening

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yakemchuck was the most answered player to the questions "Who was the toughest player to play against?" and "Who is the most underrated player?" at the combine.

Major PITA to play against? Yes please!
Didnt krebs get that honor in 2019?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

6.) There is no consensus in the public sphere about team building for the NHL draft

This is what makes the NHL draft so much fun in my eyes, but also turns off casual fans to the NHL draft. Imagine if the NFL draft was conducted after high school. Go look at the ESPN Top 300 or the 247 college football rankings for this year. Then compare them to the NFL draft order 3 years later. That’s essentially the disadvantage NHL scouts are working with when projecting three to five years out from a draft.

There are also very few universal rules to the NHL draft compared to the NFL draft. We know which positions in football you draft high, which ones you can extract value from, and have a general idea of how to grade drafts using somewhat universal team-building philosophical arguments. Outside of the consensus that no one can predict which goalies are going to be great, there are no such team-building philosophies in the NHL.

Over the last fourteen years, I have established my own set of cardinal rules. There are always exceptions to these rules, but they are as follows:

• Never trade up.
  • The early 2nd round usually has 5-10 players who I love. It’s a great place to live in the draft.
  • Don’t draft a defenseman who doesn’t have power-play potential in the first round.
  • When debating players: always go with the one with the elite trait (if applicable).
  • After round 1, the forwards who usually hit big are either: undersized, wingers, or European. They are usually some combination of the three.
  • Late-round defensemen who hit are usually overagers who have played in a men’s league or the NCAA.
  • Consistent, high-end save percentages work out better than size for goalies.

I like these rules.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad