• Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
What kind of offensive upside are you seeing? Top 6 production?

I think there's 3rd line scoring potential, but nothing more.

For me it's gimped by the fact that he has no motor or consistency, and I've never once seen him successfully pull off the dangles or 1 v 3 situations he puts himself in.

He definitely has a motor. The stupid not working at higher levels is an argument I can definitely get behind. I don't see a ton of upside but a 20/20 guy with an edge I can very easily see.

That's fair.

But you won't see me getting excited over drafting Richard Panik at 18th overall, when there were better selections to make.
Guy who comes to mind actually is Hartman — this is all reminiscent of an argument I used to have with a superfan over him vs schmaltz when they were coming up... as a prospect was he ever quoted for his hockey IQ or is he dumb where maybe Boisvert a “meatstick” in a similar vein?

Hartman never seemed dynamic, but had upside as a goal scorer, plays with an edge and has a good motor — Different qualities probably concerning how he makes an impact like being a pest and won’t wow you like schmaltz’s playmaking but you could never say he’s soft and he’ll get to the gritty areas.

Not the kind of thing you want to hear for your 18OA pick but Booster(autocorrect has just bestowed him a possible nickname, praise be technology and take notes fiddy) I could see being something of a staple/fan favorite

Last edited:

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
It’s incredibly obvious who’s watched YouTube highlights of Boisvert and who’s actually seen him play.

He has a great shot, especially his wrister. His two way game improved a ton and so did his skating this year.

Not sure about the strome comp, mainly because he’s skates significantly better and plays a much more physical game.

Saying he has no offensive upside is just showing your ass. Better off just admitting you’re still butt hurt they didn’t take the player you wanted.

Anyway, I went Vanacker!

I've seen him stand up for himself and he doesn't shy away from the physical stuff but in my admittedly limited viewings I've never seen pink mist crazy from the guy.

This is fair. He’s not a goon, but he’ll play physical and isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.

Reactions: Giovi and migi

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It’s incredibly obvious who’s watched YouTube highlights of Boisvert and who’s actually seen him play.

He has a great shot, especially his wrister. His two way game improved a ton and so did his skating this year.

Not sure about the strome comp, mainly because he’s skates significantly better and plays a much more physical game.

Saying he has no offensive upside is just showing your ass. Better off just admitting you’re still butt hurt they didn’t take the player you wanted.

Anyway, I went Vanacker!

This is fair. He’s not a goon, but he’ll play physical and isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.
The Strome thing was simply because it's Musto. I think bigger Max Domi or Versteeg would be my comps.

Reactions: HawksDub89

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Pro offensive upside really comes from your brain more than anything. Just because you can shoot hard doesn't guarantee you anything. I don't mind the player, just think he'll be a 20 goal, 15 assist guy on the third line. He's certainly got the size you want at C but not sure he'll really be a C.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Pro offensive upside really comes from your brain more than anything. Just because you can shoot hard doesn't guarantee you anything. I don't mind the player, just think he'll be a 20 goal, 15 assist guy on the third line. He's certainly got the size you want at C but not sure he'll really be a C.
What I like about his shot isn't just that it's hard but that there's no static release. Like he can wire it from every angle and sometimes mid dangle. He makes goalies look really bad because he scores from angles and positions not many can. Like Versteeg or Domi he makes some gorgeous feeds he's just stupid but fifteen assist upside feels low.

I also don't think he sticks at center I think he's a Max Domi center where he can play there if you don't have options and he works hard and will make some nice defensive plays but he's just not smart enough to be effective at the highest level. I've said before that Domi is one of the worst defensive centers that tries to play defense I've ever seen.

I agree with you about high end upside it's why i love Catton so much but I'm reading things like Boisvert has no offensive upside and I'm confused because the only reason he was drafted in the first round is the jam mixed with 40-50 point physical tools.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Guy who comes to mind actually is Hartman — this is all reminiscent of an argument I used to have with a superfan over him vs schmaltz when they were coming up... as a prospect was he ever quoted for his hockey IQ or is he dumb where maybe Boisvert a “meatstick” in a similar vein?

Hartman never seemed dynamic, but had upside as a goal scorer, plays with an edge and has a good motor — Different qualities probably concerning how he makes an impact like being a pest and won’t wow you like schmaltz’s playmaking but you could never say he’s soft and he’ll get to the gritty areas.

Not the kind of thing you want to hear for your 18OA pick but Booster(autocorrect has just bestowed him a possible nickname, praise be technology and take notes fiddy) I could see being something of a staple/fan favorite
I was always hyping Hartman up as a buzzsaw loved him as a prospect and you're not incorrect I think Boisvert has that level of toughness that you don't always see but a few times a year guys like Versteeg/Domi/Wisniewski would get challenged by somebody that was supposed to fight and be tough regardless of if they could slash should and get absolutely hammered.

Reactions: Malaka

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What I like about his shot isn't just that it's hard but that there's no static release. Like he can wire it from every angle and sometimes mid dangle. He makes goalies look really bad because he scores from angles and positions not many can. Like Versteeg or Domi he makes some gorgeous feeds he's just stupid but fifteen assist upside feels low.

I also don't think he sticks at center I think he's a Max Domi center where he can play there if you don't have options and he works hard and will make some nice defensive plays but he's just not smart enough to be effective at the highest level. I've said before that Domi is one of the worst defensive centers that tries to play defense I've ever seen.

I agree with you about high end upside it's why i love Catton so much but I'm reading things like Boisvert has no offensive upside and I'm confused because the only reason he was drafted in the first round is the jam mixed with 40-50 point physical tools.
It would be cool if he could become a James Neal volume shooter type wing. I like the shot a lot, its obviously ++ I was just saying like true offensive upside comes from between the ears which I know we agree on anyway.

He's intriguing and I love having a guy with a different profile other than skate fast and work hard.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It would be cool if he could become a James Neal volume shooter type wing. I like the shot a lot, its obviously ++ I was just saying like true offensive upside comes from between the ears which I know we agree on anyway.

He's intriguing and I love having a guy with a different profile other than skate fast and work hard.
Prime Neal had a level of mean douchebag that I just don't see in Boisvert. My entire argument is that people saying there's no upside to the kid are mad we didn't take their teenager or they haven't watched him.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Boisvert at #5 is going to age like milk lol

These prospect rankings can be viewed in at least a couple ways - either where the player is at heading into the next season - OR - where is the ceiling of the prospect. I tend to make my assessment based on my perception of their ceiling. Therefore Boisvert may turn out to be one of the top-5 prospects in the stable but from my viewings of him - he seems a long way from reaching that ceiling.

On the other hand, Kantserov (whom I voted for at #5 and again at #6) may have a slightly lower ceiling but is much closer to reaching his ceiling and therefore more of a sure thing rather than a long shot. Kantserov was a difference making top-6 winger through the playoffs and helped his team win the Gagarin Cup. Granted KHL is not NHL but still significant evidence he has NHL level talent.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
At best he's Brent Seabrook. It's extremely unlikely but he's got every tool outside of wheels. I didn't vote for Boisvert but at best he's a bigger stronger Max Domi. I just don't understand writing off kids with so many tools.
Every tool? He isn't that great offensively. He lacks a good shot, isn't a great passer, just good, on top of being just an OK skater at best. Pretty big tools he is missing for being anything more than a 4th D/depth Dman. If he makes it, it's probably as a shut down Dman who can play a physical game.

Boisvert has many more tools, and potential. A bigger stronger Max Domi, is a pretty damn good player in the NHL.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
At best he's Brent Seabrook. It's extremely unlikely but he's got every tool outside of wheels. I didn't vote for Boisvert but at best he's a bigger stronger Max Domi. I just don't understand writing off kids with so many tools.
I haven't seen as much of Del Mastro as many here, but imo, Seabrooks skating at 20 was better than Del Mastro's is. Seabrook also had a better shot.

Reactions: clydesdale line

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Every tool? He isn't that great offensively. He lacks a good shot, isn't a great passer, just good, on top of being just an OK skater at best. Pretty big tools he is missing for being anything more than a 4th D/depth Dman. If he makes it, it's probably as a shut down Dman who can play a physical game.

Boisvert has many more tools, and potential. A bigger stronger Max Domi, is a pretty damn good player in the NHL.

Yea either DHF is criminally underrating Seabrook's tools as a player or he's criminally overrating EDM's tools. No in between.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
i think spellacy ends up a more impactful player than boisvert. this is based on absolutely nothing but a gut feeling.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Yea either DHF is criminally underrating Seabrook's tools as a player or he's criminally overrating EDM's tools. No in between.
Seabrook is the epitome of a player who aged poorly and IMO that impacts our memory of what he was before the mileage killed his game. Not saying that DHF is doing that, but came across that same issue in the Roenick HOF thread on the main board.

Haven't gotten the chance to watch EDM much, but I'd be thrilled if he is capable of turning into a legit 2nd pairing guy (sort of like Pesce light).

Reactions: clydesdale line

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Domi actually has good vision on ice, he’s a really good passer. Boisvert is basically brain dead out there. Having physical tools doesn’t mean a damn thing if you have no idea how to use them.

Even if EDM is limited offensively in the NHL, is it a big deal? No, because he’s already a plus defender, which is a lot harder to learn. Like does Erik Cernak suck because he doesn’t put up points?

A second pairing shutdown dman is far more valuable than some bottom 6 offensively inept scrub who thinks he’s tough

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Seabrook is the epitome of a player who aged poorly and IMO that impacts our memory of what he was before the mileage killed his game. Not saying that DHF is doing that, but came across that same issue in the Roenick HOF thread on the main board.

Haven't gotten the chance to watch EDM much, but I'd be thrilled if he is capable of turning into a legit 2nd pairing guy (sort of like Pesce light).
Yea Seabrook was a good top 4 guy by the time he was 20

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Domi actually has good vision on ice, he’s a really good passer. Boisvert is basically brain dead out there. Having physical tools doesn’t mean a damn thing if you have no idea how to use them.

Even if EDM is limited offensively in the NHL, is it a big deal? No, because he’s already a plus defender, which is a lot harder to learn. Like does Erik Cernak suck because he doesn’t put up points?

A second pairing shutdown dman is far more valuable than some bottom 6 offensively inept scrub who thinks he’s totough
Erik Cernak is a 4d/depth Dman. I take a player with Boisverts tools over a Cernak every day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad