Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
I thought someone said the only reason the Flyers tried to send him to the Minors was because he had the same agent as Cutter Gauthier, and the Flyers didnt want to deal with any players that had that agent. I guess if Johansen faked an injury that would be material breach, but how can they prove he faked an injury? Even if he has something minor and is nagging him, he might try to play through it with one team but not with another.

With this being so close to his wedding, I wonder if the Flyers saw him dancing too hard and decided to bust him?

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Flyers insiders were talking about insurance and him and his injury. Being under pressure for the insurance company.
Not saying they’re wrong but at this point I take anything that leaks from the Flyers with a grain of salt. They are the kings of damage control and making it seem like it’s always someone else’s fault. A culture of spin that likely trickles down from the Comcast ownership

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I thought someone said the only reason the Flyers tried to send him to the Minors was because he had the same agent as Cutter Gauthier, and the Flyers didnt want to deal with any players that had that agent. I guess if Johansen faked an injury that would be material breach, but how can they prove he faked an injury? Even if he has something minor and is nagging him, he might try to play through it with one team but not with another.

With this being so close to his wedding, I wonder if the Flyers saw him dancing too hard and decided to bust him?
*traded to flyers*

"Owwww, hip actually hurts guys. I can't play now, actually."

*flyers doc look at him*

Yeah, I guess this could be causing him discomfort, but should be healed in a month or two tops.

*Almost time to report back to camp*

"Owwwww my hip still hurts so bad guys!!!11 I'm not sure I can play this year"

*Flyers say ok f this we could use the contract space. Lata playa. We got comcast lawyers up in here*

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Yeah ? I guess this is the new way of dumping salary of players you don't want anymore. Catch them with the nose candy. Or maybe watch their social media and try and catch them liking a non politically correct tweet.
Lmfao @ politically correct tweet.

The NHL opted to get rid of Pride night instead of force some dipshits to wear the jerseys. What make you think they care about liked tweets (which aren't even public any more)?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
*traded to flyers*

"Owwww, hip actually hurts guys. I can't play now, actually."

*flyers doc look at him*

Yeah, I guess this could be causing him discomfort, but should be healed in a month or two tops.

*Almost time to report back to camp*

"Owwwww my hip still hurts so bad guys!!!11 I'm not sure I can play this year"

*Flyers say ok f this we could use the contract space. Lata playa. We got comcast lawyers up in here*
The new Philly flu. Their players get sick and injured to avoid playing for them.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Also there's something people always miss when these kinds of injury CBA issues come up. Pretty much every player over the age of 30 (if not younger) has legitimate cause to be LTIRetired. Armchair GMs have no clue the things these guys put their bodies through, but for most it's worth it to keep playing in the best league in the world.

It's perfectly reasonable to think that RyJo was prepared to push through his injuries to play every game with a cup contender. But when he got traded and subsequently demoted, it's a lot more preferable to collect the paycheque on LTIR with NHL rehab facilities instead of riding the bus in the AHL

I don't think "I wanted to play through my injuries on one team because that team was good, but now I refuse to report for another team that I'm contractually obligated to" is going to hold up to scrutiny.

Being too injured to play shouldn't be a matter of preference. Wouldn't that open up a major can of worms?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Also there's something people always miss when these kinds of injury CBA issues come up. Pretty much every player over the age of 30 (if not younger) has legitimate cause to be LTIRetired. Armchair GMs have no clue the things these guys put their bodies through, but for most it's worth it to keep playing in the best league in the world.

It's perfectly reasonable to think that RyJo was prepared to push through his injuries to play every game with a cup contender. But when he got traded and subsequently demoted, it's a lot more preferable to collect the paycheque on LTIR with NHL rehab facilities instead of riding the bus in the AHL

Holy Hyperbole

Reactions: Sasso09

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
There are too many variables here to really speculate in earnest about. The Flyers would be prudent to keep this close to the chest and reserve their cards for grievance arbitration, which is I'm sure exactly what they'll do.

@FlyguyOX Not sure what's funny about what I said. It's essentially just parroting Friedman's tweet. They feel they have a good case and are prepared to present it if required. :dunno:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Given the timing I would say it is more likely the Flyers themselves who investigated than a third party (i.e. insurance company) simply because Ryan Johansen hasn't been paid ANYTHING yet for 2024 to actually have the Flyers be able to seek insurance reimbursement on.

And in terms of this past season he missed about 18 or 19 games after being traded to the Flyers. I don't know that actually would pass the threshold necessary for insurance reimbursement.

Although that can be team dependent in how much a premium they are willing to pay versus how much actual coverage they get... But in some contract situations the insurance must be negotiated at time of signing (or shortly thereafter)... I assume teams can have some type of default policy in place where by acquired players who pass a physical are granted some type of temporary/default coverage if the team's physical process is accepted by the insurance company.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't think "I wanted to play through my injuries on one team because that team was good, but now I refuse to report for another team that I'm contractually obligated to" is going to hold up to scrutiny.

Being too injured to play shouldn't be a matter of preference. Wouldn't that open up a major can of worms?
I'd think the opposite. Ultimately it is (or should be) up to a player's discretion if they play. Obviously I'm not referring to concussions and that kinda thing. But these wear and tear type injuries, especially where he's had multiple hip surgeries, it makes sense. It absolutely should be preference. Some rewards are worth the risk/effort, others are not.

A team attempting to force a player into playing opens up a much bigger can of worms than the reverse.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
@FlyguyOX Not sure what's funny about what I said. It's essentially just parroting Friedman's tweet. They feel they have a good case and are prepared to present it if required. :dunno:
It's plenty easy to see what this is about since it was discussed in flyersdom extensively last season when the situation played out where he refused to report to LV.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
“He's going through some kind of rehab,"
—-
"He had an injection; and claims he has a hip injury. At this point, honestly I'm not too sure where it's at. We're not sure if he's going to need surgery, or if he's going to be ready for camp. We don't really know at this point."
- Briere

You can tell Briere has been pissed at this guys lack of communication and claims since the start of summer.

Reactions: DaveG

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lmfao @ politically correct tweet.

The NHL opted to get rid of Pride night instead of force some dipshits to wear the jerseys. What make you think they care about liked tweets (which aren't even public any more)?
I mean the Leafs hired and subsequently fired a goalie coach because some losers whined about his liked tweets.

I know that was an individual team/Dubas being stupid and not the league, but it's happened

Reactions: DaveG and Cypruss

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That’s a polite way of describing domestic violence.

Mr. Voynov originally was suspended indefinitely by the NHL following his arrest on Oct. 20, 2014.

“I have determined that Player Slava Voynov engaged in acts of domestic violence directed at his wife,” Commissioner Bettman said.

Nope, just accurately describing the details:
- Voynov was suspended with pay by the NHL while his domestic violence case was ongoing.
- During this league suspension he tore his Achilles playing tennis and the Kings subsequently suspended him without pay for an injury occurring outside the scope of his employment as a hockey player.
- Later Voynov filed retirement paperwork with the NHL--so he could play in the KHL--and the Kings then voided his contract due to the retirement.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
“He's going through some kind of rehab,"
—-
"He had an injection; and claims he has a hip injury. At this point, honestly I'm not too sure where it's at. We're not sure if he's going to need surgery, or if he's going to be ready for camp. We don't really know at this point."
- Briere

You can tell Briere has been pissed at this guys lack of communication and claims since the start of summer.
I don't get the Flyers anger over this. It's been made obvious they don't want him, while he doesn't want to be there and is willing to sit out due to injury. This seems like the perfect scenario for LTIR where the Flyers get maximum cap relief and he gets paid to stay home.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It's plenty easy to see what this is about since it was discussed in flyersdom extensively last season when the situation played out where he refused to report to LV.

Yeah, maybe there's some confusion. I don't deny it surrounds his non-reporting / injury, that was more or less alluded to in Friedman's second tweet.

When I refer to variables, I mean the factual and legal basis for terminating the contract, including what evidence they have accumulated,the possibility of surveillance or expert evidence (to the extent he is relying on an alleged injury), third party statements, proof of dishonesty or malingering, etc. Even the terms of his contract and / or the CBA may no doubt be relevant.

What I meant to suggest is that I very much doubt that Flyers management rolled out of bed and decided we're going to axe someone today. They've likely built up their case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad