2024 Draft Discussion

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
For the most part how I’m looking at it.

Although Bob had Catton outside the top 10 on his last update in May. I have a hard time seeing Helenius make it to 15 with the lack of true centers (I see Catton and Iginla as wingers). Would be interesting if Yakemchuk or Eiserman were still there when we pick, would love to know what they think of both of them. Would be fine taking Yakemchuk despite being pretty set on defense.

We will have to see where they come in on his final list tomorrow, but for the most part I’m looking at it like you are.
I see a lot of parallels between Yakemchuk and Evan Bouchard.
Aside from being the same size. They have similiar strengths and weaknesses. Close in terms of offensive production too.

Both have massive shots and offensive upside in general. Both had concerns about foot speed and athleticism holding them back. Big difference is Yakemchuk is meaner than a pitbull!

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
The more I watch Hage, the more I am surprised he is not considered a top 10 pick. He has all the tools and is quite smart too. I see no real flaws in his game outside of the occasional positioning issue on defence and vision sometimes. The fact that he overcame as much adversity and he looks this dominant at the USHL level is impressive. He can fake, he can deke, he can shoot, he can pass, he can defend, he can skate super fast...

Am I missing something that makes him a bottom of the first round pick instead of a top 15 pick?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Trying to suss out some things from Wheeler/Pronman's latest mock's and discussions on various podcasts, I think there's definitely some Hage smoke (well, as much smoke as Yzerman is capable of emitting), and in today's mock, Wheeler mentioned Solberg as a possibility if he slips to #15.

Also looking at various mocks, it feels like Philly at #12 and Minnesota at #13 could determine if Helenius is available (which right now is my realistic best case scenario).

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
same here. In the end, I don't care what any media really says about the kid if Yzerman and Co. dig in and are good with what they see. This front office has done nothing to lead me to question their drafting in the first round.

Same with me. I expect they'll stay where they are and draft a forward who fits with how they've done things to date, but if they go a different way I could live with it because of their first-round record. I get what they're trying to build and am fully on board with how they've done it in the first round. Anything could happen this year though,, which is part of the fun with a SY regime info lockdown. They could move up three-four spots and take their preferred forward rather than hope he's still available later. They could trade back 5-7 spots and take Stiga or Solberg or whoever and I'd be good with it. They could draft a third RD in the first round or a pure sniper, neither of which seems likely, but if that's the case, alright let's go.

Second round, things are up in the air. The rationale for most of their picks I get. Some, like Cleveland after picking Gibson and Hanas at all, and James and Tuomisto where they took them, not so much.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What is the floor for Hage? Can we say he is at least NHL third line wing.
Theyre picking at 15, no one has a third line wing floor.

But Hage has an edge to his game that someone might make work in the bottom 6 as an energy guy with some offensive touch maybe. Hes not a "safe" prospect but hes not first line or bust either

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trying to suss out some things from Wheeler/Pronman's latest mock's and discussions on various podcasts, I think there's definitely some Hage smoke (well, as much smoke as Yzerman is capable of emitting), and in today's mock, Wheeler mentioned Solberg as a possibility if he slips to #15.
“Slips” to 15……???

• Haha
Reactions: Christien

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Theyre picking at 15, no one has a third line wing floor.

But Hage has an edge to his game that someone might make work in the bottom 6 as an energy guy with some offensive touch maybe. Hes not a "safe" prospect but hes not first line or bust either
I believe Yzerman is looking for sure NHL player in the first and Hage, Luchanko, MBN are those kinda guys. Eiserman not so much, he is ether top line or bust

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Haven't been following the prospects at all this year so not sure who I'd want Detroit to draft. Tell me!
Here you go, list involves mostly hard to play against types what Wings like to pick.

#15 Michael Brandsegg-Nygård

#47 Lukas Fischer/Simon Zether/Sam O'Reilly/Adam Kleber/John Mustard/Luke Misa/Linus Eriksson

#80 Jack Berglund/Alexander Zetterberg/Hagen Burrows/Melvin Fernström/Blake Montgomery/Javon Moore/Jack Pridham/AJ Spellacy/Herman Träff/Carson Wetsch/Tory Pitner

#126 Aidan Park/Liam Danielsson/Landan Resendes/Karl Sterner/Lucas Van Vliet/Colin Ralph

#144 James Reeder/Viggo Gustafsson/Logan Sawyer/Joona Saarelainen/Giovanni DeGiulian/Elliot Groenewold

#176 Carson Pilgrim/Caeden Herrington/Jack Sadowski/Daniel Shlaine/Cooper Cleaves/Jason Davenport/Callum Hughes

#204 Charlie Forslund/Hugo Lejon/Brayden McCallum/Ben Merrill/JJ Monteiro/Kaden Shahan/Jimmy Dodig/Luken Huff

#209 Charlie Forslund/Hugo Lejon/Brayden McCallum/Ben Merrill/JJ Monteiro/Kaden Shahan/Jimmy Dodig/Luken Huff

Reactions: flychairman

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I believe Yzerman is looking for sure NHL player in the first and Hage, Luchanko, MBN are those kinda guys. Eiserman not so much, he is ether top line or bust

Hage might be the most raw player to go in the first round. Far cry from sure NHL player.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
I just hope SY takes a swing for a scorer in rd 1. We got enough bottom 9 type players in rd 1. Take a swing on an elite scorer like Eiserman or Connelly (assuming he checks out)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Would the 15th be enough to get Rutger McGroarty? Would that have to be 15th+?
You have to be allowed to talk to the kid. Is it an "anywhere but Winterpeg" situation or is it an "only team X" situation. For the former, might not be enough if there is a bidding war. For the latter it could be too much unless Wpg decides to say FU and makes him play out the 4 years in college unless enough is given in return.

Reactions: Perfect Human

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Its funny how this board seems to have turned on Eiserman. Less than a month ago we (the collective we, not you and I) voted overwhelmingly for him as our pick in the team board mock draft.
Eiserman took over 61% of the vote.
I went with Hage, he was second with about 14% I believe.

I am thinking that gap would be much smaller if we were given the same vote today, under the same circumstances happening picks 1-14. I think Hage might even win that vote now.

I would be happy with any of the three you mentioned. There seem to be several guys I'd be ok with, but Hage is my first choice and, like you, Im not that into Eiserman.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
You have to be allowed to talk to the kid. Is it an "anywhere but Winterpeg" situation or is it an "only team X" situation. For the former, might not be enough if there is a bidding war. For the latter it could be too much unless Wpg decides to say FU and makes him play out the 4 years in college unless enough is given in return.
For sure. Definitely not a situation to make a trade on word of mouth alone. Watching his progression over the past three years, I have to imagine he becomes a target for the Wings in that draft if he even makes it that far. I have to imagine based on that alone the floor for the trade, in either paradigm you laid out, would be 15th++

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Its funny how this board seems to have turned on Eiserman. Less than a month ago we (the collective we, not you and I) voted overwhelmingly for him as our pick in the team board mock draft.

I am thinking that gap would be much smaller if we were given the same vote today, under the same circumstances happening picks 1-14. I think Hage might even win that vote now.

I would be happy with any of the three you mentioned. There seem to be several guys I'd be ok with, but Hage is my first choice and, like you, Im not that into Eiserman.
I believe it was Tony Ferrari who said that Eiserman , just like Trouba throw elbows at other players head and I like physical and not dirty players on my team

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

Personally I think it is crazy to take Hage over Eiserman. I think Eiserman's faults are being beaten to death and in some areas quite exaggerated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad