GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And I’m good with that choice. Hage has a lot of talent and I think he’ll be in a tremendous position at Michigan. Plus I love a comeback story. That kid has dealt with a lot of adversity to get to where he’s at now.
What is the floor for Hage? Can we say he is at least NHL third line wing.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I checked out a long time ago on getting excited about targets past round 1 because I'll just get Brady Cleveland'd.
Yeah, outside of Augustine, maybe Gibson, there haven't been too many picks after the 1st round to get very stoked about.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I hate to open up a can of worms but: Have we discussed Trevor Connelly much?

From what I've read, he'd probably go top 10 if not for two incidents, both when he was 17:

He put a photo on his social media of a swastika, made from blocks, in a library

He was accused of using a racial slur on an opponent, it was investigated, and whatever hockey body was over whatever league that was decided that it never happened

Maybe I've missed something, and if so please let me know, but: If the swastika was shit-posting or irony (each proclivities of Gen Z) and if that league was right about the slur, might this kid be worth a shot?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

From what I've read, he'd probably go top 10 if not for two incidents, both when he was 17:

He put a photo on his social media of a swastika, made from blocks, in a library

He was accused of using a racial slur on an opponent, it was investigated, and whatever hockey body was over whatever league that was decided that it never happened

Maybe I've missed something, and if so please let me know, but: If the swastika was shit-posting or irony (each proclivities of Gen Z) and if that league was right about the slur, might this kid be worth a shot?

His talent is supposedly in the upper tier of this draft class but Yzerman historically has had zero tolerance for any character/controversial players - most notably Tony DeAngelo but a long history of removing guys our of his system who don't act or conduct themselves in a professional manner. Would very much expect this kid to be on his "DND" list

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
Pretty sure SY drafted DeAngelo. Doubt Connelly is on any “do not draft” list because he is extremely talented and probably a top 5 talent in this draft.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Pretty sure SY drafted DeAngelo. Doubt Connelly is on any “do not draft” list because he is extremely talented and probably a top 5 talent in this draft.

Right, that's the point. He did draft D'Angelo who didn't have the same red flags and then traded him away despite being one of their best prospects because he was difficult in the locker room, maturity issues, etc.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
His talent is supposedly in the upper tier of this draft class but Yzerman historically has had zero tolerance for any character/controversial players - most notably Tony DeAngelo but a long history of removing guys our of his system who don't act or conduct themselves in a professional manner. Would very much expect this kid to be on his "DND" list

You're probably right.

The penalty he took to end the recent tournament for Team USA also made me wonder -- maybe he's not a racist, he's just the second coming of Brendan Smith, big talent little brain. That wouldn't be an Yzerman type pick either.

I was just curious because I saw a draft ranking from recruitscouting.com that had almost all of the forwards we've been discussing taken by 15 (other than Sennecke -- they had him going in the second round) and Connelly, and I'm not wild about taking a defenseman at 15. Unless Silayev is going to be Zdeno Chara 2.0.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

The most important his relationship with teammates not very good. He is one of the riskiest prospect in this draft and I expect him eventually play in KHL.
There are plenty choices for Yzerman and probably Connelly not on the least at all .

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

They are going to be able to dig in and learn more about the person and his character than any of us. All anyone here can really do is speculate, I’ll trust they will due their due diligence in vetting all that and we will see what teams think of him soon enough.

If all that stuff checks out and they’re comfortable with taking him, I like the player a lot. Very naturally gifted kid who can make plays. He did also take a dumb penalty that cost the USA team at the U18s. That said he played really well and was very impactful up until that point.

You're probably right.

The penalty he took to end the recent tournament for Team USA also made me wonder -- maybe he's not a racist, he's just the second coming of Brendan Smith, big talent little brain. That wouldn't be an Yzerman type pick either.

I was just curious because I saw a draft ranking from recruitscouting.com that had almost all of the forwards we've been discussing taken by 15 (other than Sennecke -- they had him going in the second round) and Connelly, and I'm not wild about taking a defenseman at 15. Unless Silayev is going to be Zdeno Chara 2.0.
I’d be shocked if Silayev is still around when we pick.

Reactions: Winger98

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I do think there's also just general character/locker room concerns outside of the incidents, but he also seems generally quite repentant and to interview well. So I have no idea really what to think about his character concerns as there's lots of conflicting second hand commentary out there. It's almost like an injury. Unless you're getting reports from a team doctor on a prospect, sometimes it's hard to know what to think of a prospect with an injury history.

My bigger issue is that I don't know if I think he's such an obvious top 10 talent. Fringe top 10 probably. At 15, there'll still be a few players in that tier, and if we have a few guys in the same tier as Connelly, it'll be easier to just take one of them. If he's the clear BPA, then it becomes a debate.

I think the fact that Yzerman was willing to take DeAngelo indicates he could take Connelly. We could expect Yzerman to cut bait quickly if issues come up again though.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
They are going to be able to dig in and learn more about the person and his character than any of us. All anyone here can really do is speculate, I’ll trust they will due their due diligence in vetting all that and we will see what teams think of him soon enough.

If all that stuff checks out and they’re comfortable with taking him, I like the player a lot. Very naturally gifted kid who can make plays. He did also take a dumb penalty that cost the USA team at the U18s. That said he played really well and was very impactful up until that point.

I’d be shocked if Silayev is still around when we pick.
Why is Demidov , possible the best from this draft has Russian factor and Silayev doesn't? Silayev has questionable hockey IQ and offense . Personally Id take Stolberg before Silayev

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I do think there's also just general character/locker room concerns outside of the incidents, but he also seems generally quite repentant and to interview well. So I have no idea really what to think about his character concerns as there's lots of conflicting second hand commentary out there. It's almost like an injury. Unless you're getting reports from a team doctor on a prospect, sometimes it's hard to know what to think of a prospect with an injury history.

My bigger issue is that I don't know if I think he's such an obvious top 10 talent. Fringe top 10 probably. At 15, there'll still be a few players in that tier, and if we have a few guys in the same tier as Connelly, it'll be easier to just take one of them. If he's the clear BPA, then it becomes a debate.

I think the fact that Yzerman was willing to take DeAngelo indicates he could take Connelly. We could expect Yzerman to cut bait quickly if issues come up again though.

There is an Athletic article on him, beyond those incidents there are some other things, like how often he changes the schooles and how generally disliked he was. Accoring to him and people around him, a lot of that is due to others, but at some you need to ask if it's true way so many don't like you. Basically it comes down to following:

- He does not seems to be able to maintain a proper relationships with teammates
- He does not understand what responsibility is, it is always somebody's else fault

If you combine all this with known incidents, that does not paint a favourable picture of him. Basically questions of how coachable he is and how much of lockerroom disruption he might be - which should increase his bust potential significantly. Beyond that, i think his skill level is overblown, Pronman compares him stillistically to Duclair which does not sound like that high of a praise. To me he is not worth the risk, there are way better options at 15.

And i'm not sure cutting bait quickly with your 15th overall pick is a good thing.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
You kind of get the feeling these 10 players are firmly entrenched to be drafted before 15. I Would be shocked if any of them were still on the board at our pick;

Silyayev, Dickinson, Levushnov, Buium, Perekh, Celebrini, Sennecke, Lindstrom, Catton and Iginla.

I think Helenius, Eiserman and Yakemchuk are the three guys generally ranked before pick 15, but I would not be surprised at all to see them available.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You kind of get the feeling these 10 players are firmly entrenched to be drafted before 15. I Would be shocked if any of them were still on the board at our pick;

Silyayev, Dickinson, Levushnov, Buium, Perekh, Celebrini, Sennecke, Lindstrom, Catton and Iginla.

I think Helenius, Eiserman and Yakemchuk are the three guys generally ranked before pick 15, but I would not be surprised at all to see them available.
Expect unexpected. Just 2mo ago Sennecke were not anywhere near top 10, I was hoping we get him at 15. Now for sure he will not be available. Stolberg , Luchanko or Hage could get drafted before #15 .
My expectations are to have a lot of questions after draft : but why ? What are you doing? What are you cooking? Why not?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

same here. In the end, I don't care what any media really says about the kid if Yzerman and Co. dig in and are good with what they see. This front office has done nothing to lead me to question their drafting in the first round.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

For the most part how I’m looking at it.

Although Bob had Catton outside the top 10 on his last update in May. I have a hard time seeing Helenius make it to 15 with the lack of true centers (I see Catton and Iginla as wingers). Would be interesting if Yakemchuk or Eiserman were still there when we pick, would love to know what they think of both of them. Would be fine taking Yakemchuk despite being pretty set on defense.

We will have to see where they come in on his final list tomorrow, but for the most part I’m looking at it like you are.

Christien

May 1, 2010
For the most part how I’m looking at it.

Although Bob had Catton outside the top 10 on his last update in May. I have a hard time seeing Helenius make it to 15 with the lack of true centers (I see Catton and Iginla as wingers). Would be interesting if Yakemchuk or Eiserman were still there when we pick, would love to know what they think of both of them. Would be fine taking Yakemchuk despite being pretty set on defense.

We will have to see where they come in on his final list tomorrow, but for the most part I’m looking at it like you are.
As we get closer to the draft, it seems more and more likely that Eiserman is going to be there at 15. Excited to see what his top 15 is looking like. Just a heads up, he bumped the release for the list back a day, so now it's coming out on Tuesday instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad