GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I listened to the Winged Wheel podcast today while working (pretty painful listening to Brad harp on about how Detroit needs scoring more than anything, of all things...) but they talked a bit about Helenius. He has the look of someone that would be a top 5 pick if he was 6 feet tall but I think his size is going to make him a faller.

I see a lot of "right-place-right-time" in his game from the shift by shift video. A really solid understanding and awareness of where all players are on the ice at the time. And he is really good at protecting the puck. As @jaster would say, low panic threshold. I think he could stick at center despite being 5'10" and excel.

I for sure think he can play center. I think he was measured at 5’11 and 189 lbs at the combine, which is better than I was expecting for him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I for sure think he can play center. I think he was measured at 5’11 and 189 lbs at the combine, which is better than I was expecting for him.

I thought it came in at 5'10? Or was it another guy that came in shorter and lighter than advertised?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The more I think about it, the more I'm set on Luchanko being my guy I hope we get. There is so much to like there between his skating, hockey IQ, and work ethic. He's well spoken as well from what I've seen from the combine. I think he is the type of player who can really explode in his development starting next year. I was thinking of Robert Thomas as a comparable draft year wise and went back and read some scouting reports on Thomas. You could copy and paste what was said about Thomas to Luchanko and nobody would notice a difference. Same compliments and concerns as well as both being on the younger side for the draft. I think there is decently high upside along with a high floor with Luchanko.
Trade down for him and get extra second or get rid of some bad contracts

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I’m beginning to prepare myself for MBN and Sennecke being gone. Not sure who my third choice is. Possibly Stolberg.

Michael Hage is realgud. I've said it before but he reminds me a lot of Jordan Kyrou. A bit of a waterbug, very good perimeter game. Creative with the puck, dual threat offensive player. Questionable defensive ability and would be better paired with a strong defensive player like Kasper or Danielson. Probably becomes a winger in the NHL but that's OK.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I’m beginning to prepare myself for MBN and Sennecke being gone. Not sure who my third choice is. Possibly Stolberg.
It all depends what our scouts think, there is no guarantee Stolberg will be available . I like him more than MBN, but that's just me

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
I listened to the Winged Wheel podcast today while working (pretty painful listening to Brad harp on about how Detroit needs scoring more than anything, of all things...) but they talked a bit about Helenius. He has the look of someone that would be a top 5 pick if he was 6 feet tall but I think his size is going to make him a faller.

I see a lot of "right-place-right-time" in his game from the shift by shift video. A really solid understanding and awareness of where all players are on the ice at the time. And he is really good at protecting the puck. As @jaster would say, low panic threshold. I think he could stick at center despite being 5'10" and excel.

You mean high panic threshold. If the threshold is low, it means it takes less for the player to panic.

But yes, I love guys with high IQ and high panic thresholds, though the latter is something I generally zero in on with defensemen. This kid looks promising, eh? Maybe I'll give the pod a listen, though Brad is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Outside of reading bits by you hosers on this forum, I've done virtually zero research on any of these draft prospects. So if you guys say I should be excited about certain kids, I'll get excited. There will be some apprehension involved though, since some of you are enamored with real shit hockey players sometimes. You're all suspect!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
You mean high panic threshold. If the threshold is low, it means it takes less for the player to panic.

But yes, I love guys with high IQ and high panic thresholds, though the latter is something I generally zero in on with defensemen. This kid looks promising, eh? Maybe I'll give the pod a listen, though Brad is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Outside of reading bits by you hosers on this forum, I've done virtually zero research on any of these draft prospects. So if you guys say I should be excited about certain kids, I'll get excited. There will be some apprehension involved though, since some of you are enamored with real shit hockey players sometimes. You're all suspect!

That's what I meant. My mistake.

Here's a little snippet about Michael Hage on NHL.com

Hage endures tragedy, injury on road to 2024 NHL Draft | NHL.com

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
ould say, low panic threshold. I think he could stick at center despite being 5'10" and excel.
I've been reading scouting reports and watching some film on Chernyshov today. His shot is considerably weaker than MBN's.

I'm not saying he's a do not draft, but he's not one of my 5 favorites for our pick. It's the difference between a guy that's ranked in or near the top 10, and a guy that's in the 20-30 range. There's a definite difference in quality.
I think MBN definitely has the better shot. Apart from that, however, I think they are more similar than different.

I am not sure where I think the tiers cut off this year. My gut says 8 or 9 and then another tier running down to about 20. I need to give it more thought.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Two guys I’m a little off on are Greentree and Eiserman. I read where Greentree showed up out of shape to the combine. That’s a huge red flag for me. The first thing we will try to do with Eiserman is try and teach him defense. That will ruin him

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
It's not as if Chernyshov doesn't have a decent shot, either. It's more important to be willing to shoot, and from the right places at the right time, than having a few extra mph, and Chernyshov is not reluctant to shoot.

I like MBN, but he's pretty much the same as how Chernyshov is described and scouting reports from good sources are similar in many respects. MBN plays a straight-forward game and has the body, skills, skating and work ethic to make it work in the NHL, but aside from a better slapshot there are no clear skill or physical advantages for either him or Chernyshov. Neither is distinctly great in one area vs. the other player being distinctly poor in that area, the differences are minor and difficult to measure given they play in different leagues with different pace and other factors. Where they are ranked is irrelevant, but HP has MBN 16 and Chernyshov 18. They are both A grade players with similar size and skills appropriate for their position and imagined future role. Trying to stay in the real world rather than imagining a PPG star at 15, a reasonable good-case outcome for both might be Niederreiter.

The thing that will make a difference in the NHL is how their brains work at NHL pace and their ability to adapt. No one knows how or if that will happen for most of the guys in the conversation at 15, including MBN and Chernyshov.

Reactions: Frk It and lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Two guys I’m a little off on are Greentree and Eiserman. I read where Greentree showed up out of shape to the combine. That’s a huge red flag for me. The first thing we will try to do with Eiserman is try and teach him defense. That will ruin him

With Eiserman it's not teaching defense that will ruin him. There was chatter on the NHL draft class podcast where one of the people talking about Eiserman mentioned it was learning how to do the little things better. He made comments about if Eiserman did a few things differently he could have scored 10+ goals more or had way more assists. The intangible type of things that keep the play cycling in the offensive zone or get the puck out of his defensive zone faster.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have a hard time getting past Greentree not being able to grab a role and have more of an impact for Canada at the U18s. He was pretty much their 13th forward.

For how highly everyone spoke of him prior to that, that was pretty disappointing.

If he lit up that tournament I think he could have cemented himself as a top 15 player, and now I’m not sure what you do with him.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
y’all ready to have discussions about nepotism after the wings draft Jiri Fischer’s son Lukas in the third this year?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree with everything here. I’m not opposed to MBN and I think his likely outcome is similar to Rasmussen in terms of production and play style. And I say that as a Rasmussen fan.

In a similar vein, I wonder what the cross section is of posters who want Lukas Fischer in the 2nd round and absolutely hate the Cleveland pick. I think they’re pretty similar skill set and limitation wise. Big guys with decent skating and pretty limited puck skills. Put Fischer on the third pairing of the USNTDP with no PP time and feed Cleveland top minutes and PP time on a bad junior team and I’m guessing their production would be similar in those roles.

I dont think Fischer and Cleveland are all that similar at all and I'm fine with the Cleveland pick. Theres going to be some weird overlap of people screaming nepotism, people who like the pick and people who only want really high upside picks.

GOnna be interesting to see what side of the fence some obviously opinionated posters fall on

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I dont think Fischer and Cleveland are all that similar at all and I'm fine with the Cleveland pick. Theres going to be some weird overlap of people screaming nepotism, people who like the pick and people who only want really high upside picks.

GOnna be interesting to see what side of the fence some obviously opinionated posters fall on

Fischer as a 2nd or later is fine for many here. High upside boom/bust prospect. He’s got tremendous physical tools and skating. If he’s half as mean as his dad Wings fans will love him.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad