2024 Draft Discussion

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Actual team draft lists would look so different this year if we got to see them. I'd be more surprised if one of the forwards that the consensus has going before we pick is not available.

This is why I won’t be surprised if MBN is a top 10 pick. Guys with his profile don’t usually get drafted mid to late 1st unless they’re idiots.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
New Pronman mock has us taking Hage. Interesting. He's usually pretty clued in to what the league is generally thinking.

He was right about us picking Danielson last year and Kasper the year before. Let’s see if he’s still got his Nostradamus hat on.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was right about us picking Danielson last year and Kasper the year before. Let’s see if he’s still got his Nostradamus hat on.
New Pronman mock has us taking Hage. Interesting. He's usually pretty clued in to what the league is generally thinking.
Last time we picked a kid at 15 and he went to Michigan the next year it worked out pretty well for us.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Last time we picked a kid at 15 and he went to Michigan the next year it worked out pretty well for us.
I wouldn’t mind Hage. Great skill and skating and the high upside that I want to see when using a high pick is definitely there. Michigan is also good at pumping out NHLers.

Shoulders always worry me. They seem to be the easiest injury to re-occur over time/never get better to begin with. But altogether I think Hage is a good option at 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's not crazy to think Catton might drop. Teams that see him as a center in the top 12-14 might at the same time prefer a D. Teams that see him as a Teravainen type who needs to move to wing might see him as more appropriately a mid-teens pick, and less attractive than Iginla or the bigger Sennecke and MBN.

Drafts rarely if ever go completely according to projection. There is always a surprise or two. One or two players from a consensus top 14 or anyone's individual list is going to be available at 15, My unexpected surprise dropper is Helenius, my surprise non-consensus pick Chernyshov, my expected pick MBN. Any of them would be good.
Chernyshov is the sleeper pick. He could be a Seider scenario where people are pissed about the selection until they learn who he is. He's a high floor, high ceiling player. He wins puck battles and traps players to win the puck. He could be a top 6 player that would make Panthers coach blush.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I will say, despite my disdain for this board’s obsession with mediocre SHL/Allsvenkan-developed prospects, I’d be perfectly content with MBN at 15. I’m bought into the process of building a deeper club that’s tough to play against, and I think he checks a lot of the right boxes. We need depth on the wing, both at the NHL level and in the prospect pool, and I like his chances of playing NHL hockey.

I will also take this opportunity to point out that if his name were Michael Brandon and he played in Red Deer half of this board would have their pitchforks out on Draper for taking such a “low ceiling” prospect with our first.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I will say, despite my disdain for this board’s obsession with mediocre SHL/Allsvenkan-developed prospects, I’d be perfectly content with MBN at 15. I’m bought into the process of building a deeper club that’s tough to play against, and I think he checks a lot of the right boxes. We need depth on the wing, both at the NHL level and in the prospect pool, and I like his chances of playing NHL hockey.

I will also take this opportunity to point out that if his name were Michael Brandon and he played in Red Deer half of this board would have their pitchforks out on Draper for taking such a “low ceiling” prospect with our first.
If it makes you feel better, I still fully plan on having my pitch fork out if that happens.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

I agree with everything here. I’m not opposed to MBN and I think his likely outcome is similar to Rasmussen in terms of production and play style. And I say that as a Rasmussen fan.

In a similar vein, I wonder what the cross section is of posters who want Lukas Fischer in the 2nd round and absolutely hate the Cleveland pick. I think they’re pretty similar skill set and limitation wise. Big guys with decent skating and pretty limited puck skills. Put Fischer on the third pairing of the USNTDP with no PP time and feed Cleveland top minutes and PP time on a bad junior team and I’m guessing their production would be similar in those roles.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with everything here. I’m not opposed to MBN and I think his likely outcome is similar to Rasmussen in terms of production and play style. And I say that as a Rasmussen fan.

In a similar vein, I wonder what the cross section is of posters who want Lukas Fischer in the 2nd round and absolutely hate the Cleveland pick. I think they’re pretty similar skill set and limitation wise. Big guys with decent skating and pretty limited puck skills. Put Fischer on the third pairing of the USNTDP with no PP time and feed Cleveland top minutes and PP time on a bad junior team and I’m guessing their production would be similar in those roles.
I think you’re reaching here.

There’s a reason Cleveland was 3rd pairing with no PP time on the USDP. And it was one of the worst blue lines they’ve had in awhile.

I don’t think Cleveland would have been a top 10 pick in the USHL draft at any point like Fischer was.

I mean Fischer just put up .5 ppg in the OHL and he’s like a week away from being in next years draft. That’s better than guys like Danford who some think should go in the first 2 rounds. That’s also literally better than what Gibson did, and some people are high on him.

Cleveland has never shown he can put up offense anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: flychairman

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

You gotta come off that high horse. Half the board will hate whomever we choose regardless of national origin.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

MBN is a superior draft year player to Rasmussen in his draft year, and probably even his D+1. He can do 2 things that Ras is just learning how to do at the pro level; use his size to his advantage, and absolutely rip the puck. I think his low side is an Ivan Barbashev or Lawson Crouse, and if we had either of those guys as our 2/3w instead of Fabbri last year Detroit is a playoff team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You gotta come off that high horse. Half the board will hate whomever we choose regardless of national origin.
Laughing because I agree with both of these things. :laugh:

MBN is a superior draft year player to Rasmussen in his draft year, and probably even his D+1. He can do 2 things that Ras is just learning how to do at the pro level; use his size to his advantage, and absolutely rip the puck. I think his low side is an Ivan Barbashev or Lawson Crouse, and if we had either of those guys as our 2/3w instead of Fabbri last year Detroit is a playoff team.
Even for a high floor player, which I think MBN is, you’re grossly overestimating that floor here.

If that were his floor he would be going top 5.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Laughing because I agree with both of these things. :laugh:

giphy.gif

If that were his floor he would be going top 5.

Don't be surprised if he goes between 7 and 11.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think you’re reaching here.

There’s a reason Cleveland was 3rd pairing with no PP time on the USDP. And it was one of the worst blue lines they’ve had in awhile.

I don’t think Cleveland would have been a top 10 pick in the USHL draft at any point like Fischer was.

I mean Fischer just put up .5 ppg in the OHL and he’s like a week away from being in next years draft. That’s better than guys like Danford who some think should go in the first 2 rounds. That’s also literally better than what Gibson did, and some people are high on him.

Cleveland has never shown he can put up offense anywhere.

Maybe. I just don’t see anything besides 3rd pairing upside in either player. That said, I was surprised to see how low Fischer was in the Black Book.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Seems this draft is shaping up to be a deep draft.

I would not be one bit surprised if Yzerman goes off the board with his 1st pick. There's a couple of guys that are projected to go in late teens, early 20s that I would laugh my ass off if he takes. Why? Because it means we hit the MF'r JACKPOT! (knowing Yzerman)

There's a guy nobody talks about that I am secretly hoping he takes at #15 that would make HFboards' servers will overload.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe. I just don’t see anything besides 3rd pairing upside in either player. That said, I was surprised to see how low Fischer was in the Black Book.
Yeah, same. And I get your overall point. I went from having Fischer late first to start the year to like very late second or third round to end the year. Probably wouldn’t have him a top 50 player. I just think relatively speaking he’s shown a heck of a lot more than Cleveland as far as offense goes. But that’s a super low bar in my eyes.

The issue with Cleveland isn’t what he is, it’s just where he was taken. Picking a kicker in your fantasy football draft is fine, taking one in the second round will get you laughed at.

There are quite a few big defensemen I could see Detroit being tempted to take - Fischer, Skahan, Kleber to name a few. Could also see them liking Colton Roberts from the WHL.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If you're being honest with yourself, that's probably his upper range. His low side is Christian Fischer, provided he makes it at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad