GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Dunno, i like thre result of drafting safe guys 19-22, maybe even 23 more. I think you greatly overrate the upside of Eisermann, given how his skills traslate. Scoring a lot in juniors =/= scoring a lot in NHL. I'm ok at taking a swing on somebody with certain limitation, but there is a clear understanding what is the issue and how to fix it (like specific skating issues or shot, etc.). In case where we don't know how the skills translates and i don't think answering the question by he scored so many goals in juniors he will figure it out is the right one. It is the same issue with Zadina. He improved his skating, he improved his play without puck, playmaking, he never had a translatable skill.

To me, it seems like some people are trying to pigeonhole Eiserman into a type of player that really does not describe him well. For one, he is not remotely similar to Zadina as a player. Eiserman's shot is absolutely an elite translatable skill. When we talk about translatable, if anything I'd say the way Eiserman scores at the junior level is on the more translatable end. He has everything you want in a shot in terms of deception, accuracy, quick release, power, and ability to shoot from various release points. He combines this with great sense on where to be to put himself in a shooting position, he keeps his feet moving, and he has a nice frame. He really is not a guy who stickhandles the puck much or tries to beat players 1 on 1 with moves that simply won't work in the NHL.

He absolutely has his warts, but one thing that makes him unique and what I think is a misconception is that when we talk about him as a lazy low effort player, it really just applies to his defensive game. What I mean is that he is pretty comfortable and willing to attack inside and leverage himself around the net. Personally, I think the biggest criticism you can give Eiserman is that he is obsessed with goal scoring. Yeah, he's willing to leverage his body and attack the middle of the ice so that he can score goals. To the most extreme, I think you can question whether Eiserman cares more about scoring goals than he does winning hockey games.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think we positioned pretty well to take a swing on a guy like Eiserman or Connelly, assuming we are comfortable with the other stuff. Could be the equivalent of Yzerman saying he took ASP last year because “we don’t have that in our system”.
I see DeBrincat being that. Last year it was hard play against-type first and then the player what we didn't have. Cat became available and Yzerman "picked" him, instead of Parascak/Basha in the draft.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Mckenzie's list is rolling out now. As I was expecting, the wingers besides Demidov are all clumped together after the D-men. Iginla 10, Sennecke 11, Catton 12, Eiserman 14, Connelly 15.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Even with the team we had this season, Wings scored 10 more goals during the regular season than the newly crowned Stanley cup champions. Im not worried about scoring but something should be done about preventing goals in our end. Wings allowed 74 goals more than Florida.
We have a stable full of defensemen, two-way (defensive?) forwards, and two top tier goalie kids on the way. Who in our pipeline is in serious contention to at some point score 40 goals? 30? Better than even odds for 25?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Quote from the article

"— Apropos of nothing, one name in our Top 32 that seems to be generating a lot of final week buzz: Guelph Storm centre Jett Luchanko. He’s No. 19, but several scouts told us they feel he’s picking up momentum as we head towards Friday’s draft. Someone to keep an eye on."

Reactions: archimet

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
We have a stable full of defensemen, two-way (defensive?) forwards, and two top tier goalie kids on the way. Who in our pipeline is in serious contention to at some point score 40 goals? 30? Better than even odds for 25?
And the stable is missing a power forward which will be most likely available since Bob had MBN at 17. With the shot he has, 25 goals is realism. Larkin, Ray, Cat are in that 30 goal territory and Kasper & Danielson are potential 25 goal guys as well, add MBN to that and 3rd liners scoring about 15 goals per player. 4th liners about 10 goals per player, PP d-men(2) about 10 goals. So using Steiner mathematics that makes 260 goals, potentially. If Ray finds another gear, extra 10 goals is possible.
I would bet on Skahan or Kleber as the round 2 pick.
Looks like it, i would prefer it to be Kleber. I wouldn't mind another RHD and Wings are in good position to crab Fischer in the 3rd.

Reactions: archimet

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I’ve got the Wings potential pick narrowed down to these 10 players if we stay at 15;

Defence (3);
Solberg
Jiricek
Yakemchuk

Forward (7);
Helenius
Luchanko
Hage
Brandsegg-Nygard
Boisvert
Chernysov
Beaudoin.

-For various reasons I cannot see Yzerman drafting any of; Connelly, Greentree, Eiserman or Pascarak.

- Don’t think it is possible for Levushnov, Buium, Dickinson, Perekh, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton or Sennecke slide to 15.

- Anybody else seems like a huge stretch that would justify a trade down.
Would be shocked if it wasn’t one of those 10 guys…

Last edited:
Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’ve got the Wings ‘potential’ options narrowed down to these 10 players if we stay at 15;

Defence (3);
Solberg
Jiricek
Yakemchuk

Forward (7);
Helenius
Luchanko
Hage
Brandsegg-Nygard
Boisvert
Chernysov
Beaudoin.

-For various reasons I cannot see Yzerman drafting any of; Connelly, Greentree, Eiserman or Pascarak.

- Don’t think it is possible for Levushnov, Buium, Dickinson, Perekh, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton or Sennecke slide to 15.

- Anybody else seems like a huge stretch that would justify a trade down.
Catton came in at 12, I think he could make it to 15.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Could be the equivalent of Yzerman saying he took ASP last year because “we don’t have that in our system”.

We are pretty set on young defenseman and like you said have taken some higher floor guys with the top picks as of late.

Will be interesting to see what route they go.
I call it the "let Hakan cook" approach.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Catton came in at 12, I think he could make it to 15.
I hope. But it would floor me.
San Jose, Philly and Minny draft in the 3 spots directly in front of us. All of them have so much flexibility and no reason to force a position or ‘type’ of player.
Catton is just such a massive tier ahead. Can’t see them all passing on him.

Wheelers survey of scouts piece seems to indicate several teams have him as the best forward behind Celebrini.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope. But it would floor me.
San Jose, Philly and Minny draft in the 3 spots directly in front of us. All of them have so much flexibility and no reason to force a position or ‘type’ of player.
Catton is just such a massive tier ahead. Can’t see them all passing on him.

Wheelers survey of scouts piece seems to indicate several teams have him as the best forward behind Celebrini.
I just think Catton is one of those guys that’s probably viewed higher on this site than by NHL teams, so you never know, but we’ll see soon enough.

I’ve heard a lot of people speculate SJ will go defense and doesn’t have much their prospect-wise, I’m guessing that’s where Yakemchuk might go off the board.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Wings could certainly use a young winger who could snipe 30-plus. They could also use, in 3-4 years, just about any style of winger capable of making any kind of impact. If Abby had been drafted three years ago, he'd today be the team's best winger prospect. Same college production and 30 pounds heavier than the guy recently voted the best winger-in-waiting. A first AHL season at the same age a little better Mazur's. It hasn't been wrong to deprioritize wingers in the Draft since Raymond, they're the easiest to find via other means anyway, ie Florida. Stockpile enough D and centers and you can leverage a proven good winger when you need one, just like having an extra first-round pick brought in DBC. Positional need shouldn't be a deciding factor at 15th OA, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the first and second-round picks were wingers regardless of whether they are snipers, playmakers or power guys with a two-way game.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I just think Catton is one of those guys that’s probably viewed higher on this site than by NHL teams, so you never know, but we’ll see soon enough.

I’ve heard a lot of people speculate SJ will go defense and doesn’t have much their prospect-wise, I’m guessing that’s where Yakemchuk might go off the board.

Most fans won't admit it, but size matters. Another year, another cup final that was decided between two teams who had speed and size. The goal of a GM is to win the cup. Sounds obvious to say, but then ask yourself when is the last time a small winger was drafted in the top 10 and helped a team win a cup? Off the top of my head, I have to go back to Kane and the Blackhawks. Takes a really special talent to impact a cup winner at that size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad