2024 Cup engraving

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Do the Viola's 3 sons actually work for the team, or how did they get on there?

They would have to be involved in some capacity, or else they wouldn't get approved. Recall the 1984 Oilers originally had Basil Pocklington (owner Peter's father) listed, but he had nothing to do with the team so it was X'd out.

Also worth noting that the Red Wings had several of the Illich family listed each time they won, so there is precedent for the Violas to all be here, too.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
They would have to be involved in some capacity, or else they wouldn't get approved. Recall the 1984 Oilers originally had Basil Pocklington (owner Peter's father) listed, but he had nothing to do with the team so it was X'd out.

Also worth noting that the Red Wings had several of the Illich family listed each time they won, so there is precedent for the Violas to all be here, too.
Pocklington is exactly where my mind went too
I just wasn't aware the sons were involved in hockey ops, and didn't see them on the Panthers' website, so was just curious if some FLA fans knew a little more

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

They may have some share in ownership, anyone know how that's structured? If it's officially owned by a family foundation and they're all trustees (makes inheritance easy), they would all have equal right to be listed as owners.

Reactions: Voight and uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know they replace a ring after every 13 years. Do they not touch the top rings, and just replace the larger bottom ones?
When a band is replaced, only the band in the Band 1 position is removed. Everything below it is moved up, and a new band is added to the bottom.

The "Collar" above Band 1 stays in place

Hhof_stanley_cup_annotated.jpg

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
When did they change from the stove pipe?

They took all the rings from 1928 to 1947 and consolidated them into larger bands like we see now, but left the more decorative, stepped ones for the collar

I do think it's pretty wild to remember that THIS was the originally intended trophy
Premiere_Coupe_Stanley_1893.jpg

But then they understandably decided to engrave their names on the trophy... and then kept adding and kept adding and kept adding
StanleyCup1927-47.jpg

The modern, standardized look is so iconic, though, I'd never dream of changing it. And its slightly humourous, if not impressive, history only makes it better.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014

And Brad Aldrich's name was removed by being covered with Xs after his...yeah:rolleyes:

snag

Feb 22, 2014

They took all the rings from 1928 to 1947 and consolidated them into larger bands like we see now, but left the more decorative, stepped ones for the collar

I do think it's pretty wild to remember that THIS was the originally intended trophy

But then they understandably decided to engrave their names on the trophy... and then kept adding and kept adding and kept adding
StanleyCup1927-47.jpg

The modern, standardized look is so iconic, though, I'd never dream of changing it. And its slightly humourous, if not impressive, history only makes it better.

Ah, the ol' Stovepipe Cup. Yes, it looks far more iconic now. It looked so....anorexic there.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

StanleyCup1927-47.jpg

Honestly I wish they would just leave all of the bands on there. You know how funny it would be to see players hoisting a 4m, 45kg trophy around the ice?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I mean....it feels like a bit of stretch to include so many non players on it. IMO it should be the following.....

Owner - GM - Head Coach - Assistant Coaches - Players.

No scouts. No player development. No assistant GM's. No waterboys. Keep it simple.

Reactions: Patrik26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad