Injury Report: J.J. McCarthy to have knee surgery

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Being a VIkings fan is literally the of meme of that guy continue punching himself in the balls.

Let's hope it's just the trim, but a full repair isn't the end of the world either, as he wasn't playing this year till midseason if at all, they were handling him with patience and kid gloves no matter how he looked in camp. And once the season starts the backup doesn't get many reps anyway. His development will come in the room.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
A meniscus tear takes more than 22 weeks to heal post surgery? Darn.... That's worse than an MCL tear recovery timeline.
There are usually 2 types of meniscus repairs:

1) The relatively simple one, they shave the meniscus down to where the tear is. This takes something like 4-6 weeks to recover from. The issue is your meniscus is now much smaller, which could cause other knee issues down the road.

2) They have to stich the meniscus back together to repair the tear because the tear is too significant or in a critical place of the meniscus. The good part is the meniscus remains the same size as it was originally but it's just a very long healing process.

I know Shea Weber in 2018 had the ''stitches'' meniscus surgery in early-July and he was playing hockey by late November. So it's a 4-5 month process minimum. Clearly this is what JJM had. 5 months from now is mid-January...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Brutal for McCarthy and Viking fans

Welp

Sam Darnold this is your final chance to be the "Man" most likely. Maybe an unlikely Cinderella run here. But most likely he will suck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Always going to be a turf vs grass debate, but looking at the US Bank events schedule, after their concerts for Metallica and Bryan in August, there is nothing but Vikings games listed to the end of Dec. Then they list WWE for August 2025.

So technically, some of these indoor stadiums can put grass down and it's not going to be an issue with another event. But, it's going to cost way more to maintain it from Sept to Dec and any PO games, but by the time PO come around only 8 teams are playing at home in the PO barring a pair of road teams in WC week getting to the conf finals or all 3 road WC teams winning their first game.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Too late for them to give Rourke a look? I have a hard time picturing him being any worse than Darnold.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There are usually 2 types of meniscus repairs:

1) The relatively simple one, they shave the meniscus down to where the tear is. This takes something like 4-6 weeks to recover from. The issue is your meniscus is now much smaller, which could cause other knee issues down the road.

2) They have to stich the meniscus back together to repair the tear because the tear is too significant or in a critical place of the meniscus. The good part is the meniscus remains the same size as it was originally but it's just a very long healing process.

I know Shea Weber in 2018 had the ''stitches'' meniscus surgery in early-July and he was playing hockey by late November. So it's a 4-5 month process minimum. Clearly this is what JJM had. 5 months from now is mid-January...
I was surprised it was this bad considering he played through it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is a gut punch. Long-term he should be fine and he'll still be in the room continuing to fully learn the offense but he's obviously missing all of the on-field reps that he could use, even if he likely wasn't going to be the starter anyways. Vikings continue to be cursed when it comes to this stuff.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a gut punch. Long-term he should be fine and he'll still be in the room continuing to fully learn the offense but he's obviously missing all of the on-field reps that he could use, even if he likely wasn't going to be the starter anyways. Vikings continue to be cursed when it comes to this stuff.
Basically a wasted year in Minny now. I think everyone knew that they were going to be a 7 or 8 win team, but at least they were going to play JJ for 8-10 games to get him experience and be ready to hit the ground running in 2025 season. Now, 2024 is a waste and they've kicked his game experience to 2025. Really sucks for their core guys like Darrisaw, Jefferson, and co.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kevin O'Connell made Josh Dobbs look competent for bit. Don't be surprised if he doesn't squeeze something out of The Darnold.
Vikings season was never about the PO. It would be a bonus like it was for Houston last season but this year was about the development t of JJ at QB. Which they don’t get. But it’s a huge opportunity for Darnold.

As a backup or 3rd stringer you need this type of luck (on your side) to make the nfl or open up a chance.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This sucks. But there was always a chance this was a redshirt year anyway. He wasn't gonna play until they were out of it or Darnold looked unplayable. I'd rather then fix it now, then do the shave and risk future problem.

I’m guessing Falcons trade them Heineke for a 6th or 7th

Doubtful it's going to be Darnold with Mullens backing him up. Could see them grabbing a 3rd guy after cuts maybe (who's not Matt Corrall) cause Hall has looked bad. But they're not trading picks for one, especially since they only 3 picks next year. (And a projected 3rd rd comp.)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If they have to go past Darnold, I can’t imagine it would be even a decent year in Minny.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
McCarthy needed to sit for the year anyhow. Though that was unlikely with Darnold being his competition.

Still stinks for him. He got nicked up late in the season with Michigan and this probably was bound to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad